Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your home like?

Chann3l Chas3r

I used to live in South Africa with my family: mom, dad, older brother and various pets. (Usually dogs, but sometimes cats, - fish of varying types, birds of various types like budgies, guinea fowl, canaries, chickens, you name it.  Even a grey squirrel once - keeyootest thang ya eva dun seen.) My brother got a PhD and moved to another area of the country, getting married to a lovely gal in the meantime.

As for me... I am living in Japan at the moment, teaching English at a High School, spending my free time arguing with people on the internet about My Little Pony and why Rarity is awesome or playing games like Diablo 3 and Skyrim. Sometimes I spend time with other awesome people from around the world, just hanging out or playing a variety of odd table-top games like Dominion, Game of Thrones (the game) and Agricola.

Looking to move to Australia after I finish here in Japan, since I have some family (and an ex-girlfriend) over there.

Edited by Full Spectrum

Well let me see... I'll ramble for a bit.

I don't remember much from when I was younger, I know I grew up in a small town and most of my family still lives there, but after my parents got divorced I stuck with my mom and sis and we moved to a bigger town. Though we didn't live in the town so much as a few miles south on a farm, which is what I remember most and spent the majority of my life on. It was also what I enjoyed the most and truly felt at home in that lifestyle.

It was a very old farm house (almost 200 years old IIRC) that was only mostly finished being rebuilt and probably is something that was never going to be finished. It sat on the middle of 150 acres and had the old, red, tin roofed, wooden barn across the road that ran through the land as well as a modern steel barn that housed our tractors and a makeshift shop. No animals other than the cats and dogs, just a crop farm, and we ran old IH tractors including a Model H.

My love of Jeeps and working on vehicles happened while living on the farm. We had two old Chevy K-10s that I could work on until I got my first Jeep, an '88 Comanche Eliminator. That was my first of three Comanches while I lived on the farm. Worked on them all myself and had fun mud running two of them in the fields a few times. My most recent Jeep was a '74 Gladiator, something I have been looking for ever since I first saw the movie Tremors, but I am now Jeep-less because I sold it the first of this month. I could not get the 4x4 to engage and where I live currently I don't have the room to work on it.

I loved living and working on the farm, even dealing with stacking the hay bales in the barns and such, and I just feel really out of place now since we no longer live on a farm. I was there for a good ten years, moved away in 2008 and I'm now 25. So yea, what I remember most is the farm and the fun I had while there.

In 2008 a series of unfortunate events took place in my life and so far all the pieces have not been put back in place. We no longer live on the farm but rather live in a crappy Dominion subdivision on the other side of town from the farm, where our neighbors are only like six feet away on both sides, and I hate it. I attempted college for game art to try and get back on track but cost got to be too much, so now I just work a dead end job stocking at the Meijer we live next to. I have many regrets but one of the biggest is that I tried to follow the art route rather than following my grandfathers footsteps to become a firefighter. I'm thinking about joining the navy as a way to get out of the dead end job, and fix a few things. It may not be my top choice on what I wanted to do, but I would love to travel and get out of this shoddy area. Hopefully make enough so that one day I can buy another Gladiator and a farm of my own, also be somewhere I won't get strange looks and comments because I love wearing cowboy boots and the hat Woody Harrelson wears in Zombieland.

You can find a bit more info in my profile if you want to read personality related things.

"Dear Die-ary, there's nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long
as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do
something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their
disillusionment, perpetually wearing their "discomfort" like a favorite
shirt. I can't say I'm very pleased with where my life is just now...
but I can't help but look forward to where it's going."

~ JtHM

I frikkin LOVE Nny and that one of the best die-ary entries ever, very meaningful. I have all those comics as well as the "Director's Cut" version. My nickname through most of high school was Gir because I can do the voice and was the biggest fan of the show around. I even did a few drawings and doodles relating to JTHM and Invader Zim you can find here: http://ltgir.deviantart.com/.

Also, I gotta say I love your avatar/sig and huge props for the Poe quote. Also also... yes, AJ and Rarity are best ponies. XD

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

Well, I live in a one story, 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with my parents. We rent, but the rent is being raised up every year and we're thinking about moving out possibly next year because of that. I mean....paying 1200 dollars every month for rent ain't easy. 

Besides that, we live in the suburbs I guess you could say, of a city in north Florida with a population of near 90,000 

Our neighborhood would sit in the middle when it comes to crime and what not. 

• Brohoof 1

I live in a small town in northern Illinois; just an hour away from Chicago. The most recent population count that I could find was done in 2014 and the number was 7,302. The town is small, quiet, and safe. It was incorporated in 1886 and many individuals of Irish heritage moved here. My house is cozy and welcoming and I have a hot tub. 

Here is what the main town looks like...

5AD96C40-968B-48A7-B8D8-7CE33A75232F.jpeg

• Brohoof 3

Square with a triangle on top.. 

My house is pretty descent, kinda small for a large family but it's still a home.

I live in a fairly stable neighborhood, that is a mix in terms of being a rural and urban area - I still live with my parents, though we live right near the rural parts. It's much more comfortable than where we used to live, as that area was a melting pot of all sorts of suspicion.

• Brohoof 1

Still in Japan. Upgraded apartment, new job but... sigh... same old games...  At least I have space for a computer desk, entertainment area and dining room all in my lounge... plus my bedroom is no longer the same space as the aforementioned generally-accepted home partitioning label. Plus my balcony is not a prison, but an actual area to keep my laundry rack and (sadly, probably now deceased house plant Paul) All in all, house has been upgraded!

Formerly a three-bedroom ranch built along with a housing development in the late 60s. We had an add-on in 1994 just after my sister, the fourth child, was born. We expanded the driveway a few years later and had roof work done on it after Sandy.

• Brohoof 1

Small town, forests and vineyards everywhere, roses next to the main roads. I have my own house together with my spouse (1 bathroom, 2 bedrooms, 2 spare rooms) and it's over 100 years old. However fully renovated.

So, I can't complain. 

• Brohoof 1

I have a 3 bedroom (plus office) brick house on about 6 acres of land out in the country. Also have a 3 bay shop on the front part of the property. Roughly half of the land is forested since I've been planting pines throughout the years. Night sky here is a class 4.5, which is decent for stargazing. Satellite internet is pretty much the only option out here, tho.

I live in an apartment in Anaheim, CA. It’s on the second floor and overlooks a courtyard on one side and a parking lot to the rear, and I can just barely see the pool from my front window. This is a two bedroom apartment that I share with my husband and a teenage female cousin. I used to have a regular roommate but she moved out two years ago. The apartment complex is walled and situated on a fairly busy city street and the rent is ridiculously high despite the crime in the area and the noise. I can see the fireworks at Disneyland from my front walkway. Inside it’s reasonably furnished with the basics and a lot of my Star Wars and Disney toys have a way of migrating from my bedroom to the living room and kitchen. I have an electric stove, forced air heating, and pretty good A/C. There is beige Berber carpet wall-to-wall, which isn’t very soft but extremely durable, and I have green faux marble countertops. That pretty much covers it.  

• Brohoof 3

I live in The Hague, in the Netherlands. I used to live in a small village in the east of the country, and we moved west when I was around 14 (For me, that was a move quite literally across the country, for an American it'd probably be equivalent to driving to a neighboring city). I'm a programmer, but I'm not really very good at it. I mainly do it because it's a steady job and I need to pay bills somehow until the day I can make it as a writer. That day is a long way off, though, because I'm also spending a lot of time on working out and fencing. Tournaments and training take up a lot of my free time, and I like watching Youtube videos as well on my off days, so my writing takes a backseat far more often than it really should.

I have my own house, where I live with my girlfriend of 10,5 years. It's a small place; literally half our bedroom is taken up by our bed. Even so, we have all the space we need. I've got my own computer room (which, being an introvert, I really need) which doubles as our fencing storage room. Currently, my PC is in the middle of the room without its side panels, because I'm waiting for my new parts to come back from the shop once they've figured out which part of it is broken.

If I'm ever moving to a bigger house, I'd like to get a cat. We had cats when I still lived with my parents, but one died and the other is still with them. Getting a cat now wouldn't be fair to the cat, since we're hardly ever at home and it wouldn't be able to go out and enjoy itself, so I'll wait until I live somewhere where it can be free to stalk around outside.

• Brohoof 1

I live in the center of a quiet subdivision In southeast Michigan about a half hour north of Detroit. It has a cemetery on one side of the subdivision and a major auto company complex across the main road to the east. I bought the house exactly 3 years ago and live there with my pet cat. I had to pull some financial voodoo magic to get the mortgage and still keep my new(er) car at the time. It really doesn't cost much more than a 1 bedroom apartment in the area and I have a partially finished basement, garage, fenced in yard, CENTRAL A/C, patio (with two sliding glass doors to it), and big driveway.

mlw.jpg.84b168368e5b6c662df64ed87b562feb.jpg

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

In the summer and winter, I live in a 3 bedroom house with my younger brother and parents in a suburb of Denver. It has always been a comfortable town without much crime but it's starting to get crowded. For a few years I have hoped my parents would want to move to this one town a bit further south, but if that ever happens it won't be until my brother is done with high school.

In the fall and spring, I have been attending university in a town about an hour from Denver. The college campus is wonderful, not too big but not too tiny either. There's not a ton of stuff to do in town, but there's just enough to keep you from going mad from boredom. :twi: I lived in dorms for a couple years and now (starting in about 2 weeks) I'm going to be living in a university-owned apartment complex a couple blocks away from the campus. I'm finally going to have a kitchen so I'm real stoked about not having to survive solely on dining hall food and occasional stuff from the university food court. I'll be living with a roommate who is a very good friend of mine, along with two students whom I have never met before in my life; it's gonna be interesting. :wacko: At least most of my classes are going to be within fairly short walking distance from the apartment complex (though I'll be driving to class once the Colorado snow starts). And since the apartment is university-owned, you don't have to deal with traditional rent... your lease is paid for along with your tuition and miscellaneous fees.

• Brohoof 1

I currently live with my parents in the only house I've known. It's pretty old and bugs tend to find their way in pretty often, but it's not too bad, I guess. It's got three bedrooms and all the other usual rooms, as well as a chimney. The garage is separate from the house and pretty large (almost as big as the house itself), but it's falling apart and crawling with insects and animals. There was even a snake living in it at one point.

I'm planning on moving out early next year, preferably somewhere in the woods that is still close enough to the main city to have cable internet and such.

• Brohoof 1

I live in a really small two-storey house in Sydney and I've pretty much been here my entire life.

I won't post my actual house (obviously) but it's sorta like these

2015486821_1_1_190729_070858-w1024-h682

I live in a small town roughly thirty minutes east of Kansas City on the Missouri side. I live in a relatively newer part of the town, but it's still on the edge of unincorporated lands. Personally, I am neither a city slicker as I don't like big cities, nor a farmgirl as I'm not interested in that life. Even at my age, I still live with my parents. Don't have a choice really. Can't live alone right now. It's a fairly standard two story house with a basement, which is required since I live in Tornado Alley!

Right now, I dominate the basement since it's where all of my tech equipment resides and where I keep my consistently growing collection of big box PC games. My room's on the top floor. I don't sleep in the basement. It's nice in the summertime cause it's nice and cool down here. Downright cold most of the time.

I live about forty miles from my office so I have nearly an hour drive to and from work every day, and I'm one of the few in the office crazy enough to make that kind of trip every day. And, due to my location, I have to drive to do basically anything. Kind of a bummer but that's why I have a car.

Here's an embarrassing shot of the disarray that is my basement: https://i.imgur.com/0nK1Wx0.jpg. I've uh... got a lot of work to do. XD