Rainbow Dash Fan Club

Tomiix

I'm in agreement with you about the lesson, but I also agree with Rainblow Hash that certain things in that episode just made the whole thing come off badly. Like what he mentions here

Would've been nice if they'd attempted to talk with her about the problem beforehand, in my opinion. You can talk all you want about whether she would've listened to them, but there should've been better communication between them and her throughout the whole thing, and it seemed like they were kind of ignorant to how she was responding to the lesson they were trying to teach. Their only real interaction with Dash all throughout the plan was to fawn all over Mare Do Well like everyone else, seemingly indifferent to how this was just riling her up even more. Say what you will about Dash's arrogance in the beginning, but she never purposefully did it while knowing it was driving someone up the wall.

At this point, Dash is a pretty pathetic figure. Everything she tries to do goes horribly wrong, she's miserable and lonely, and everyone else seems to be too interested in this new amazing hero to care. Was this largely her fault? Yep. Was this experience good for her in the end? It seems so. But I also think there could've been a lot less pain involved if they'd approached it differently. Not trying to paint Dash as right, because she wasn't. Not trying to paint the others as wrong, because Dash badly needed a wakeup call, and they were saving lives, after all. I just think that they should've paid more attention to how Dash was taking the whole thing.

And on that note, have a good song about best pony.

Gah! That first video--that's SO me this whole last school year.

OT: There's always a better way to do it, but how boring would the episode have been if they just talked about it and RD hearkened to them? 10 minute episode.

Besides, when have the mane 6 responded in the most helpful manner? Remember how they all laughed at Twilight when she was super-stressed about something that was really important to her? Given, I've actually laughed at many people for the things they're super-worried about, but when all of your friends do it? Ouch. They just laughed about it and didn't offer any other ways that she could accomplish her assignment.

Sorry if it's quiet...I don't know why it is, but it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJ12QHbnlI

The mane 6 DO get it right sometimes though, like when they helped out AJ make cider vs the Flim Flam Brothers.

• Brohoof 2

@@PE Brony, the episode wouldn't have been boring; they could've had the Mane Six try to talk to Rainbow Dash, but then she could've snubbed them or said they were just jealous or whining. Then they could've went full Mare Do Well mode and it would've made sense.

Then again, I prefer the episode the way it is with the Mane Five going Mare Do Well out of nowhere and soaking into their own egos, so I wouldn't change a thing.

• Brohoof 2

@@PE Brony, the episode wouldn't have been boring; they could've had the Mane Six try to talk to Rainbow Dash, but then she could've snubbed them or said they were just jealous or whining. Then they could've went full Mare Do Well mode and it would've made sense.

Then again, I prefer the episode the way it is with the Mane Five going Mare Do Well out of nowhere and soaking into their own egos, so I wouldn't change a thing.

If it was to be different, that would be a good way to have done it.

Gah! That first video--that's SO me this whole last school year.

OT: There's always a better way to do it, but how boring would the episode have been if they just talked about it and RD hearkened to them? 10 minute episode.

Besides, when have the mane 6 responded in the most helpful manner? Remember how they all laughed at Twilight when she was super-stressed about something that was really important to her? Given, I've actually laughed at many people for the things they're super-worried about, but when all of your friends do it? Ouch. They just laughed about it and didn't offer any other ways that she could accomplish her assignment.

Sorry if it's quiet...I don't know why it is, but it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJ12QHbnlI

The mane 6 DO get it right sometimes though, like when they helped out AJ make cider vs the Flim Flam Brothers.

I always thought the problem was the execution. I thought the way they handled the Twilight situation in LZ was done well, but I can't say the same for MMDW.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
  To me, if you actually examine the episode, there were flaws on both sides that should've been addressed, but then again, when the matters of ego, pride, and awesome rainbow ponies are all mixed together, I guess someponies just don't think straight!

Indeed.

Besides, when have the mane 6 responded in the most helpful manner? Remember how they all laughed at Twilight when she was super-stressed about something that was really important to her? Given, I've actually laughed at many people for the things they're super-worried about, but when all of your friends do it? Ouch. They just laughed about it and didn't offer any other ways that she could accomplish her assignment. Sorry if it's quiet...I don't know why it is, but it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttJ12QHbnlI

Also very true. You really should pay attention when your friend seems to be a hair away from a nervous breakdown -_-. I think the problem though, is that Lesson Zero acknowledges that everyone was being really insensitive and the characters own up to that and admit they should've done something differently. Like Naked Snake said above. Meanwhile at the end of Mare Do Well, you just have Dash realizing "Ohhhhh, they weren't trying to make me feel like a miserable failure after all." and it's just left at that.  It would've been nice if there'd been something touching on how the plan affected Dash.

Know what I'd love to see though? Dash in a Mare Do Well costume if they ever do another Nightmare Night episode

mare_do_well_dash_by_exkira-d4hcug7.png

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 7

(edited)

I acknowledge that "MMDW" still had some great Dash moments, and hers is the only ego that could've survived a beating like that lol.  That's fortitude!  Also, I made a sig using choice bits of dialogue from said episode:

post-26550-0-25879900-1402138845.jpg

Edit: Managed to hunt down the relevant clip afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tte0yrxq0YE

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 6

Hello Rainbow Dash fans,

You are all cordially invited to attend the Opening Ceremony set to take place on June 11th at 7:00 pm EST. Come and cheer for the dashing and glamorous Rainbow Dash as she blazes through the Mareicana with her flag held up high. There will be a big surprise for you and many others if you do come  :). Also feel free to participate among the audience before and after the ceremony  :catface: .

I hope all of you can come  :catface: I hear Rainbow Dash is getting all suited up to appease her fans and fly through Group H... :blush:

599354-rainbow_dash_wearing_the_academy_

• Brohoof 8

Wow, this tempts me to rewatch The Mysterious Mare Do Well.  :blink:

mlfw7608-12222.gif

It has really well rounded RD characterization that is more daring than Sonic Rainboom in showing her insecurity as causing problems for her rather than just being totally sympathetic. Rainbow Dash's behavior never showed confidence; it showed that she really really wanted attention and praise. Just look at the start of the episode; she was humble and grateful for the praise at first, but once antics started getting the people to love her and notice her... she kept them up. If they all thought she was cool, she had to be doing something right. 

CAN'T EVEN HANDLE THE ARROGANCE HERE OOC

That's why she was so angry and confused when Mare Do Well showed up and everypony abandoned her. She based her worth too much on the fleeting aspirations of the crowd, and...

Damn you and your good voice actor, Dashie, you made this

one of the saddest scenes in the show!

She was bucking thrilled when Scootaloo, her loyal fan, showed up. Then even Scootaloo apparently 'abandoned' her, and she went all nuts at the Mare Do Well festival, partially to get attention, partially to unmask and get even with Mare Do Well for taking it from her. She's a pretty pathetic and sad figure behind the bluster at this point in the show.

BUT! - The morals that she learns here and other early Season 2 episodes are what let her grow from that. She learns that she doesn't have to show off to be good or for other ponies to like her.  

This is what lets a later Merriweather episode, Wonderbolt Academy, happen. She learnt a lot about dealing with jealousy here... maybe even too much, since she kept it in about Lightning Dust for so long. Afraid of repeating a Mare Do Well, she trusted Spitfire's judgement. But, again, showing her strength of character, she decided enough was enough once her friends got involved and went with what she knew was right,

The depiction of the Mane 5? Fine, flawed, I'll give you that. But Dashie? Awesome.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)
You know in regards to MMDW, I always like to pretend that this happened in the end of the episode - http://www.fimfictio...o-hard-feelings And yes Rainbow should be allowed to where the outfit at one point

Aye, I read that way back when it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

This is what lets a later Merriweather episode, Wonderbolt Academy, happen. She learnt a lot about dealing with jealousy here... maybe even too much, since she kept it in about Lightning Dust for so long. Afraid of repeating a Mare Do Well, she trusted Spitfire's judgement. But, again, showing her strength of character, she decided enough was enough once her friends got involved and went with what she knew was right,

Just rewatched both of these episodes in a row, and it was very satisfying :). I recommend it to anyone here, and it helps the payoff of Wonderbolt Academy really feel all the more meaningful when you see just how much she's matured.

Also yeesh, takes a little while to realize it, but that Lightning Dust is one cold bitch :blink:. One thing that makes me glad, thinking back, is that McCarthy's tweeting the original ending way back when seems to make it more likely that she'll be coming back one of these days. Both that, and how the episode emphasizes her dejectedness after being sent away certainly makes her story feel unfinished.

The episode taught me that pegasi are the pushiest ponies

475332_zps321f8d72.gif

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash, warrior goddess mode:

post-26550-0-14061900-1402202486_thumb.jpg

^ May well lead to me shipping FlutterDash again lol.

The following is spoilered just in case (I only just saw this episode myself):

post-26550-0-58748800-1402202558_thumb.jpg

^ I had no idea that reading was this sexy.  Think I fell in love with her all over again during the course of this one frame lol.  She managed to be both funny and adorable throughout "Read it and Weep."

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
She managed to be both funny and adorable throughout "Read it and Weep."

No kidding :D. But wait, you only just saw it now for the first time :blink: ? I've seen a lot of people call it boring or dumb, but even if you ignore the references and imagine spots, I was happy to see Dash learning to appreciate something new. And it just showed how silly she can be. Takes a special pony to choose dressing up as a ninja and breaking into the hospital over simply asking a friend to borrow a book :lol:. Plus, her nerdiness, excitement and fear of getting caught were just the cutest things ever :wub:. One of my favorite authors on Fimfic described it perfectly in this interview that someone did with him.

Most Warm Fuzzy Omg It's Rainbow Dash Looking Adorable In a Hospital Bed Episode: "Read It and Weep"

Ooh, speaking of Shortskirtsandexplosions (who has impeccable taste in ponies by the way :ph34r:) here are one or two really good stories that he wrote about Dashie. Warning, the first one is super super heavy and I had to take a long walk very late at night after reading it ^_^. The second is just an interesting look at a side of Dash that we don't really see in the show, but it still feels in-character and like something she could start thinking about someday.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

No kidding :D. But wait, you only just saw it now for the first time :blink: ? I've seen a lot of people call it boring or dumb, but even if you ignore the references and imagine spots, I was happy to see Dash learning to appreciate something new. And it just showed how silly she can be. Takes a special pony to choose dressing up as a ninja and breaking into the hospital over simply asking a friend to borrow a book :lol:. Plus, her nerdiness, excitement and fear of getting caught were just the cutest things ever :wub:.

I only recently got into the show, so every episode I watch (on DVD) is a new one to me :).  I have seasons 1 and 2 so far.  I sort-of knew what to expect from "Read it and Weep" from stuff I'd randomly encountered online, and I'd actually been looking forward to it.  "Boring" or "dumb" never even occurred to me, and it sounds like I got about as much out of it as you did. :D  All my fave parts occurred outside of the imagined book moments.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 2

I only recently got into the show, so every episode I watch (on DVD) is a new one to me :).  I have seasons 1 and 2 so far.  I sort-of knew what to expect from "Read it and Weep" from stuff I'd randomly encountered online, and I'd actually been looking forward to it.  "Boring" or "dumb" never even occurred to me, and it sounds like I got about as much out of it as you did. :D  All my fave parts occurred outside of the imagined book moments.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. How many episodes have you seen? Must be nice knowing you've got a lot of great Dash moments ahead of you :D. And the other cool ponies, of course :squee:. It's been so long since I've seen some episodes, though I'm planning on trying to rewatch the show this summer. It'll be fun to dive back in and fall in love with everything (especially the rainbow pony B) ) all over again :)

Here's one of my favorite Dash pictures by one of my favorite pony artists, the person behind the Ask Incompetent Lightning Dust tumblr. It's worth checking out, if any of you haven't already done so.

Spoilered for tallness

rainbows_by_dileak-d6o50w5.png

• Brohoof 5

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. How many episodes have you seen? Must be nice knowing you've got a lot of great Dash moments ahead of you :D. And the other cool ponies, of course :squee:. It's been so long since I've seen some episodes, though I'm planning on trying to rewatch the show this summer. It'll be fun to dive back in and fall in love with everything (especially the rainbow pony B) ) all over again :)

I've seen a total of 44 full episodes; started "Putting Your Hoof Down" and decided to finish it tomorrow.  I went through season 1 in under a week, and it looks as though the same thing is happening with season two. xD  If RD isn't in an episode (or gets a teeny part) I tend to go, "Just one more episode; then I'll stop."  And knowing I had all these episodes / several seasons ahead of me was definitely an incentive to finally get into it.  I've actually watched season 1 twice (once alone and once with my mom).  Will likely do the same with season two if she's still game lol.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen a total of 44 full episodes; started "Putting Your Hoof Down" and decided to finish it tomorrow.  I went through season 1 in under a week, and it looks as though the same thing is happening with season two. xD  If RD isn't in an episode (or gets a teeny part) I tend to go, "Just one more episode; then I'll stop."  And knowing I had all these episodes / several seasons ahead of me was definitely an incentive to finally get into it.  I've actually watched season 1 twice (once alone and once with my mom).  Will likely do the same with season two if she's still game lol.

I sort of envy you. You get to experience each episode for the first time... enjoy it! :)

post-2257-0-73938900-1402216224_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

She managed to be both funny and adorable throughout "Read it and Weep."

That's my favorite episode ever! It's also the one that made Rainbow Dash my favorite mane 6. B)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
I've seen a total of 44 full episodes; started "Putting Your Hoof Down" and decided to finish it tomorrow. I went through season 1 in under a week, and it looks as though the same thing is happening with season two. xD If RD isn't in an episode (or gets a teeny part) I tend to go, "Just one more episode; then I'll stop." And knowing I had all these episodes / several seasons ahead of me was definitely an incentive to finally get into it. I've actually watched season 1 twice (once alone and once with my mom). Will likely do the same with season two if she's still game lol.

Ah, I gotcha. Guess I gotta be careful which episodes I talk about around you, then. Sorry for the post earlier on :(. Like Sunny said though, you've got a lot of great stuff ahead of you :D. Season 3 is probably Dash's best season.

And now it's time for gifs. I think it's kinda funny that for someone who has a bit of an arrogant streak, Dash can get flustered pretty easily when somepony else praises her.

443560.gif

[456695.gif

528559.gif

Ain't she the cuddliest and cutest thing :wub:

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 7