Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony.fm Mascot Design No.1: Ska/Punk (Draft One)

Dave (RayFriedh)

(Feedback! Pleaaaaaaaase!)

[Guys. This is the Ska/Punk character. I only mentioned jazz here once and Ska/Punk about 42 times.]

Alright, MLP Forums! I have embarked on a daring quest in the name of our glorious leader, @Feld0, to design a pony for each and every single genre in the Pony.fm website! Currently, there are about 36 genres, and I know there will be more, but I shall carry on through the-

Okay, I can't keep this up anymore. The thing is, I'm designing mascots for the Pony.fm website. One for each genre. I know the website isn't complete, and it sure as hay does not have ALL of the musical genres listed, but I'm going to design an OC for each one. Here is the first one I have made, for Ska/Punk, one of my favorite genres: post-13384-0-82281100-1364463584_thumb.png

The cutie mark for the character is a trumpet, because horn instruments are the only things that separate Ska from Punk, and the trumpet is a commonly used instrument in Ska.

I've talked to some friends about the OC, and some of them seem to think that he also has some jazzy elements to him, so I need YOU, that's right, YOU, random citizen to provide me with commentary, suggestions, any feedback! When Ray has time for it, and has finished a few more OC's for the website, he'll apply some changes to the Ska/Punk character. Your suggestion might affect the outcome of this OC, which will be a part of the Pony.fm website! 

Anyhow, I'm done being a used car salesman. But, seriously, please give me feedback. I'll love you forever.*

*maybe a little more than that...

Edited by RayFriedh
  • Brohoof 38

Looks more like some kind of modern day ragtime/honky-tonk revival to me. Needs more two-tone, and a pork pie hat. But overall I like it quite a bit, and it's not off by any means.

Edited by BronyWithRage
  • Brohoof 1

Jazz trumpet players tend to wear fedoras, not top hats. (not saying to change it, but don't make it an ordinary one. Like something stylish like a white and black band top hat, instead of the traditional)

Or  sometimes jazz players wear these thingies, i can't remember the name off the top of my head.

post-13889-0-34164200-1364468407_thumb.jpg

They often do sunglasses as well.

If there's a female version, some kind of flowy outfitted/dress or a feather boa would fit.

Maybe change her mark to some kind of old microphone?

Since the females often sang. (In general of the jazz genre, not specifically straight jazz) They could totally even be a small pony jazz group, they already have the best components that way.

I like it though! The personality in them is great, i can't wait to see what else you come up with!

• Brohoof 1

First off, I'd like to say... Congratulations on being the person to design the Genreponies! I think you'll do wonderfully, considering the work I've seen from you.

This draft is looking great. I don't see any flaws in the design, so you're good there, though I think Toy-Soldier has a good point, jazz players often were berets. I think in this instance though, the top hat looks better.

This shows a lot of personality, which is good. Make sure you give the louder genres really hyper-looking personalities :P

Overall, great job, keep it up! :)

• Brohoof 3

I love it. So much. Nothing needs to be fixed. In my opinion, the top hat is perfect. Great job, I can't wait to see other genres. Especially the electronic pony....that should be real cool!

Thank you for your feedback! happy.png

You amaze me with your talents. How do you roleplay and draw so well and still have enough epicness left over to skip around the forums?!

An overdose of epicosity, most likely. Or I was just bored.

First off, I'd like to say... Congratulations on being the person to design the Genreponies! I think you'll do wonderfully, considering the work I've seen from you.

This draft is looking great. I don't see any flaws in the design, so you're good there, though I think Toy-Soldier has a good point, jazz players often were berets. I think in this instance though, the top hat looks better.

This shows a lot of personality, which is good. Make sure you give the louder genres really hyper-looking personalities tongue.png

Overall, great job, keep it up! smile.png

Thank you for the feedback! Though this pony was actually intended for the Ska/Punk genre.... Well, if so many people think he's jazzy, he may even turn into the Jazz pony, who knows?

Jazz trumpet players tend to wear fedoras, not top hats. (not saying to change it, but don't make it an ordinary one. Like something stylish like a white and black band top hat, instead of the traditional)

Or  sometimes jazz players wear these thingies, i can't remember the name off the top of my head.

attachicon.gifkikucollins1.jpg

They often do sunglasses as well.

If there's a female version, some kind of flowy outfitted/dress or a feather boa would fit.

Maybe change her mark to some kind of old microphone?

Since the females often sang. (In general of the jazz genre, not specifically straight jazz) They could totally even be a small pony jazz group, they already have the best components that way.

I like it though! The personality in them is great, i can't wait to see what else you come up with!

While your feedback would and will be very helpful when designing the Jazz pony, this pony was intended for the Ska/Punk genre. Thank you very much for this feedback, though, it will help very much later on!

Looks more like some kind of modern day ragtime/honky-tonk revival to me. Needs more two-tone, and a pork pie hat. But overall I like it quite a bit, and it's not off by any means.

Thank you for the feedback! wink.png

• Brohoof 2

I think it looks great! The goatee is a nice touch. Only thing I think should be changed, if anything, should be the hat; as BronyWithRage said, I think a porkpie hat would be more fitting. However, change or no change, this is going to be awesome. Any ideas for the colors?

• Brohoof 1

That's pretty sick, man.  I'm so glad someone mentions ska around here other than me.

That hat needs checkerboard pattern on it somewhere.

Also, thought I'd drop this here.  Obviously can't be used as it's a recolor, but hey.

tumblr_m8on99zUK41qezqsi.png

• Brohoof 1

While your feedback would and will be very helpful when designing the Jazz pony, this pony was intended for the Ska/Punk genre. Thank you very much for this feedback, though, it will help very much later on!

Haha my bad. it was late when i read it, still it looks great in my opinion though.

Sorry for the mix up and messing up your feedback

Can't wait to see more ;3

• Brohoof 2

Haha my bad. it was late when i read it, still it looks great in my opinion though.

Sorry for the mix up and messing up your feedback

Can't wait to see more ;3

I'll forgive you someday. It was no trouble, and thank you! 

That's pretty sick, man.  I'm so glad someone mentions ska around here other than me.

That hat needs checkerboard pattern on it somewhere.

Also, thought I'd drop this here.  Obviously can't be used as it's a recolor, but hey.

img-1314751-1-tumblr_m8on99zUK41qezqsi.p

Thanks for the feedback and for the pony! And, what do you mean checkerboard pattern somewhere? Like, the entire thing, or like a small part... or on a ribbon or something? Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

I think it looks great! The goatee is a nice touch. Only thing I think should be changed, if anything, should be the hat; as BronyWithRage said, I think a porkpie hat would be more fitting. However, change or no change, this is going to be awesome. Any ideas for the colors?

Light brown with a sandy yellow for the mane. Maybe. 

• Brohoof 1

And, what do you mean checkerboard pattern somewhere?

If it were me, there'd be checkerboard pattern ribbon on the base of the top hat.  But that's all up to you, artist guy.  

Also, gotta say that the pony isn't mine.  Don't wanna take credit for things I didn't do.  I found that on Tumblr from a guy who remakes punk/hardcore albums with pony stuff.

• Brohoof 3

Well I don't honestly know anything about Ska really. So I can't honestly say much. I think it looks pretty good so far from what I can tell, but again i don't specifically know much of anything about Ska. So sorry.

Maybe I can critique when Genre's I know something about actually comes up tongue.png.

Edited by Zygen

Um, he looks more like a jazz genre pony. Just saying. And also, I don't really know if you are doing this, but you should give them names beside what their genre is. Just saying, I don't know if are doing this, but if your not I suggest it.

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

What i'm interesting in is this. Are these designs, going to be vectored in the end? Or will the maskots stay as sketches? You're doing a great job so far. You're able to depict a lot of characterstics in those sketches, with great design! Those eyes suit him very well. I personally, like the top hat as much as i would like the fedora. I suggest sticking to the male version of the current pony you're designing...

Good luck with the rest of the bunch! :P I'll definately be following this.

OMG, this is amazing. Not just the character design, but the artwork, too. I love it, and I'm sure Feld0 will too. I'm looking forward  to seeing the other genres as well. Do you take requests?

Honestly, the initial design is great. Of course, I don't really listen to ska, and most punk I get is Green Day and/or Flogging Molly.

My feedback is best reserved for other genres.

I like the design on this pony, however I agree with Crispy on the fact that there needs to be more checkerboard patterns on the hat. And also, since this character is supposed to be for both Ska AND Punk, I'd suggest that the cutie mark be an electric guitar as opposed to a trumpet, because both genres do use guitar. Maybe a Flying V, since it looks pretty punky in my opinion.

But yeah, I really like this, and I can't wait to see the other designs. This'll add some more character to the site. :3

Edited by letterONE

Well I don't honestly know anything about Ska really. So I can't honestly say much. I think it looks pretty good so far from what I can tell, but again i don't specifically know much of anything about Ska. So sorry.

Maybe I can critique when Genre's I know something about actually comes up img-1314910-1-tongue.png.

I'll await your feedback until then!

Um, he looks more like a jazz genre pony. Just saying. And also, I don't really know if you are doing this, but you should give them names beside what their genre is. Just saying, I don't know if are doing this, but if your not I suggest it.

They will have names, I just haven't decided them yet.

Hello!

What i'm interesting in is this. Are these designs, going to be vectored in the end? Or will the maskots stay as sketches? You're doing a great job so far. You're able to depict a lot of characterstics in those sketches, with great design! Those eyes suit him very well. I personally, like the top hat as much as i would like the fedora. I suggest sticking to the male version of the current pony you're designing...

Good luck with the rest of the bunch! tongue.png I'll definately be following this.

Yep, everything will be vectored to fit in with the website, as close to the show style as the vector artist can make it. Thank you for your commentary and feedback! The female version I just created on accident. :P

OMG, this is amazing. Not just the character design, but the artwork, too. I love it, and I'm sure Feld0 will too. I'm looking forward  to seeing the other genres as well. Do you take requests?

Thank you for the feedback, and I'm not taking requests at the moment, sorry! Too busy with this project, y'see.

Those are very nice ponies! I like you artwork. This comment is kind of useless, but I hope you do a good job with the colors as much as the design overall!

No comment is useless! Thank you for it!

Honestly, the initial design is great. Of course, I don't really listen to ska, and most punk I get is Green Day and/or Flogging Molly.

My feedback is best reserved for other genres.

Thankye for your commentary, and I'll await ye in the other threads of genreponies.

I don't even know what a "Ska" is. But, hey, top hats are the best kind of hat! The character looks pretty awesome, what is his/her colour scheme?

I think I already answered this, but for now, the mane and tail will be a sandy yellow and the fur is a light brown.

I like the design on this pony, however I agree with Crispy on the fact that there needs to be more checkerboard patterns on the hat. And also, since this character is supposed to be for both Ska AND Punk, I'd suggest that the cutie mark be an electric guitar as opposed to a trumpet, because both genres do use guitar. Maybe a Flying V, since it looks pretty punky in my opinion.

But yeah, I really like this, and I can't wait to see the other designs. This'll add some more character to the site. :3

The checkerboard pattern seems like something I could work in easily. Also, yeah, I think I'll change the CM to something like that. 

Thank you for the feedback!

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not very skilled at analyzing the relationship between visual style and musical genre, heck I don't even know a lot of genres (like Ska, which I'd never heard of until now).

But from what I see, and the feedback provided by others, this would be a more accurate representation for a classical kind of music. Like honky tonk because of the hat, as suggested.

Again, as I said, this is the fifty bits of a braindead wannabe artist who can't even tell ska from punk. 9_6