Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Young bronies and little brats

Motion Spark

Ugh, the little Bronies, the one who can't keep their mouth shut at all, and you wonder why it feels so dead in the Fandom and more and more get so much hate for it, I considered leaving the Fandom countless times because of it, plus in edition, I can't stand the ones that get uber-defensive on the topic, instead of taking like a logical person, they make themselves look like the biggest idiot on the planet.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not everreacting, because if you take your favorite pony seriously like I do, you wouldn't let some random kid talk crap about her while her words are not true at all.

Mr. Motion Spark, I find it kind of funny that you don’t like all the kids yet you are doing something that’s actually extremely childish. Rarity is a fictional character created by Lauren Faust for Hasbro. Regardless of how seriously you take her, she is essentially another work of art and you’ll always find someone who doesn’t like a piece. People are entitled to their opinion and are allowed to be vocal about it.

I already mentioned how I’m a bit of a Sonic fan, so I’ll take the time right now to say that I can’t stand the fandom. The main reason I can’t stand it is because they are so damned whiny about not only the games, but also how one is supposed to “interpret” the characters. I have seen with my own eyes a classic Sonic fan who wrote a massive essay explaining why Sonic’s personality in every game since the first one is somehow crumbling,  that anyone who enjoys modern Sonic is destroying the whole franchise and that he actually wanted to kill them simply because he didn’t like their opinions. I can dig the whole part about Sonic’s personality being destroyed; I think this guy’s wrong, but he has a good reason to think this way. I don’t dig the part where he took Sonic’s personality at heart to the point where he wrote some pretty funny stuff about him wanting to massacre others with a differing opinion. The reason being is first off lol this crazy furry wants to murder people over Sonic the Hedgehog of all reasons, second being that he shouldn’t do stupid crap like this.

This is related to the topic at hand because you are not only taking some whiny kids on the internet who make annoying posts about rape as seriously as Aristotle or Confucius but it’s extremely foolish to take any work of art this seriously.  Once again, Rarity is a fictional character that Lauren Faust made. People are going to have differing opinions for any work of art out there.  In the worst possible terms I think of Rarity as a whiny little cunt; should you care? No. This entire thing you’ve done is comparable to the ever so whiny Twilight fans who used to make claims that you should be pinned on the damn cross for saying that Edward isn’t a man you’d like to sleep with.

I’ve talked about the characters found in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s literary classic The Great Gatsby before with someone who’s a huge fan of the novel. In her case she said that Jay Gatsby’s actually an emotionally broken man who still suffers from the stuff he did in the past. In my argument I said that Jay Gatsby’s just an idiot. Mind you she was a very big fan of the novel and the characters, but she never flipped out or became heart broken. We had a fun little nerdy conversation and even though I still heavily disagree with her on Jay I did learn a thing or two about Daisy. This is how these things should go. They shouldn’t end with you posting the whole thing on a forum out of rage.

My old art teacher from high school would actually get pretty harsh in his critiques. In fact, I remember him almost making this one girl cry. Before he would go nuts, he would always come out and say: “I’m criticizing a piece of paper.” Now I wouldn’t really compare art to simply a piece of paper, but he’s right in the sense that we shouldn’t take it so personally. Regardless of whether the art was created by us or someone else, it is childish to take it so personally. To steal a quote from Lester Bangs, a music critic who actually had a bit of an impact on the people who were taking art seriously, “the first mistake of art is to assume that it’s serious.”

Also lol I was 18 last year. Dunno where you got the whole part about me being 16 from because I've never actually lied once about my age.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Trust me I have seen way way worse but I can understand why you would be somewhat annoyed, I can understand someone not liking a character as we all have our preferences but I always cringe when people go out of their way to hate on a character or say that "*insert pony name here* is worst pony" especially when the evidence they present is flimsy. The friend that introduced me to ponies is the most hard core Rarity hater I know and even he has admitted that Rarity loves Sweetie Belle very much so really. I am going to admit I didn't like Rarity all that much at first but she did grow on me eventually, I don't like her as much as the others but I do like her but even back when I didn't I really didn't see the need to go out of my way to hate on her.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

I personally believe that the behavior has nothing to do with age. I am 15 and feel like i am like most other people on the forum. I think it has to do more with the personality of each individual person rather than the age. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm a 13 year old girl, and I find this to be incredibly offensive. 

Haha, just kidding. :P 

I've actually been through this kind of thing before, believe it or not. I've known some really obnoxious people who think they know what they're talking about when they really don't have a clue, not to mention no evidence to support their case. Not about ponies, but just a lot of things in general. And they're not all young either. dry.png

And yeah, it's annoying for me too. But oh well, I guess it's just one of those things we need to deal with. Remember, Love and Tolerate. :)

Stay brony my friends. /)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's lovely to know there are people out there who make the 10-15 age group look stupid. I try to reedeem it, but it never works.

There are a few of us, Motion, who are matured enough to use proper grammar and hold up a conversation. There is also the other 99%.

Edited by Megamare
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Personally I think there is a lot of 10-15 years old people who don't act like total jerks.

But the idiots are always louder => easily seen over the normal ones.

Edited by Cocodrillo
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think this is about the age. It is about the person. Being a child doesn't mean to act like a stupid hoe.

I agree with Freewave about finding that one true friend in the community.

By the way I used to go on the small-group World of Wacraft meet-ups. I was the youngest (14/15), usually the only girl, the majority was 16-18 years old but also one friend of mine was about 25 years old and he didn't feel somehow odd or pedo or anything. We had great times, drinking tea and talking about books and the game and talking about the Alliance noobs and laughing at the silly things. As I said, it's not about the age.

One last note: I wouldn't call 14-17 years old people children.

Maybe I feel like that just because I "entered" the internets when I was 10 years old and I've been always insulted because of my age. Then I was 13, I started to play the online games more, but again, I wasn't "old enough" to be accepted not as a child, but as a person. It is not fair, especially in games, when they will turn you down by calling you a little brat just because you are better then they are. Then I turned 15. I was sure that finally, I'll get accepted as an almost-mature person. No. It didn't happen.

Now I'm turning officially "mature" soon and in this moment, I know that I wanted to be older just to get accepted, but now I don't feel like being adult is somehow fancy. I'd like to stay this age forever. My mentality hasn't changed since I was 10.

what an interesting story miss Coco, I think it's just wrong and saddening that you've been called little brat just because you were better at the game, you know how do I call those "older" people?

butthurt2.jpg

while it can be perfectly safe for a 13yo girl to hang out with a 25yo man (cuz the man is a good man) you can be pretty sure that most than the average would raise an eyebrow at that fact. It doesn't feel morally correct, and perhaps that's what I feel of these bronies, they're just too young.

To be honest I've been much more annoyed with older bronies than younger ones during my time in the fandom, although that's to be expected. I spend much more time interacting with older fans. It's much more about maturity than age in my opinion. Here I've met some incredibly mature and intelligent younger fans, and of course you can find immature older fans all over the internet. It's just something I've had to steel myself to (although usually I get myself worked up when people insult a different, more colorful character img-1455339-1-wink.png ). I guess certain attitudes are obnoxious regardless of who is expressing them. I'm glad I've never been in a situation like the one you described.

there is everything out of everything, there are mature younger folks and inmature younger folks, but as shallow and blunt as it may sound, I can assure you that maturity is related to the age, becuase as you get older you get more responsabilities and more experiences and having experience makes you wiser.

I'm not diregarding the fact that there are younger kinds that learn fast and have been through a lot of stuff which gives them early experience, but still those are few cases.

@@Lord Bababa, are you Lord Bababa, I could sworn you said you were 16 when "Vicke Peels" skype chat once existed. oh! anyways, I know that Rarity is a fictional character, but why would I call myself a brony if I don't feel some sort of closeness to the characters. Besides though she was expressing her opinion, she was just simply wrong.

I prefer if you said that you don't like her because she seems like a bitch to you because you don't like her personality, that's an opinion and I'm ok with it. But she was assuming that Rarity was an evil sister which she isn't at all, she was gossiping and acting on her impulses without using the show properly to back up her opinion, sorry, if you're gonna lie do it better.

It's lovely to know there are people out there who make the 10-15 age group look stupid. I try to reedeem it, but it never works.

There are a few of us, Motion, who are matured enough to use proper grammar and hold up a conversation. There is also the other 99%.

brohoof sis! ;D

I don't believe you are all doomed and I don't care much for grammar cuz I'm just a mess with it, so it's ok.

Edited by Motion Spark
  • Brohoof 1

Now, I am not going to say this is an absolute, but I believe in the statement that, "with age comes wisdom". I joined the internet world when I was around nine or ten. I created forum accounts and mmo accounts, and all that jazz. Fast forward to now, I am 19 years of age, and I sometimes like to go back and look at the stuff I did when I was younger. Needless to say, it is painful. I had such a narrow view on life, and that attitude where. "I AM RIGHT, AND YOU ARE WRONG!" I look back at that stuff and I cringe. Now that I have grown as a person and had various experiences both hard times and easy times; I have a greater outlook on the world I occupy. Now, just because someone is older doesn't mean they have had very many life experiences. Why, my major life altering experience didn't occur until about three years ago. When I was in a huge car crash. Up until then I was the naive prepubescent adolescent who thought the world was meant for me, and that I was invincible. But experiences forge who one is fundamentally, and until one undergoes certain experiences (I am not saying some one has to get into a car crash) they are immature. 

• Brohoof 1

I say a brony of all ages is a brony welcome in my opinion, though I haven't met any children out there who are fans of the show because I don't make a habit of conversing with children, though I'm sure there are probably lots out there.

(edited)

I'm the same age as you (born in 1990) and, although I've never met any bronies in real life, I did go through a similar situation when I was younger. It was similar in the aspect of people acting like rude spoiled brats, but the total opposite in terms of the ages. I was about 16 and this was back when I used the forum at southparkstudios.com. I was probably one of the youngest members involved in this MSN chat and yet all these 18 to 20-something-year-olds acted like immature trolls. I remember being ripped on for defending my favorite character as well as for liking anime and being from Canada. I kept leaving the chat only to have the idiots re-add me over and over again until I signed out of MSN. That was back in 2006 or early 2007. The MLP:FIM fanbase might have some idiots like the ones you dealt with, but the majority of fans here seem like very respectful people. I'm sorry to hear about you having to deal with bullshit like that. Hopefully you'll be able to meet more respectful bronies than that. 

Edited by WarGrowlmon1990

(edited)

Yeah, there are some immature people, not just bronies but in general really.

They simply probably weren't raised with enough manners or maybe just are in their rebel stage of thinking.

I'm only 16 right now, but I've been told I'm mature before, even back when i was like 13-14, so i consider myself to be of a good maturity level. 

I don't think what she did was right at all. She is simply being a brat and immature as you said.

Now, is the whole of bronies in that age range going to be immature brats like her? Well no. Will it be more common? Well I think technically yes as they've had less time to mature compared to someone such as your self sparky. 

I do agree there are bad apples, and possibly a good bit of them in that age range, but eh I can't bring myself to hate them as a whole or something, part of me has this strange sympathy even towards some of the more blind ones. I mean I wasn't the most mature in understanding the fandom as a whole really when I first came around, but eventually with experience I matured and had a better grasp of what I should be doing as part of this fandom, and what I shouldn't. 

Maybe I just had more of my social inexperience showing back then idk.

Anyways, I don't like to judge a whole group, but I'll agree there are certainly some immature bronies out there, then again with a fandom this expansive there will be I guess.

Regardless of what happens though I still have all the wonderful souls I know here smile.png, and I wouldn't leave or anything as long as they stick around, because frankly the ones of you here who are mature and kind are just well awesome tongue.png.

(Whew long wall of text of rambling and such, sorry about that..)

Edited by Zygen

I'm 14 and I truly hope I don't come off like that. I've met Fourth graders who were better behaved than that bitch ( excuse my Spanish). 

I am 14, I find that most people in range of my age are like that; immature and annoying, with little evidence to back up any claims they make. Often times someone will insult me simply for the fact that I like something that they don't, and they don't have a reason for not liking it. For example, last year, whilst playing my 3DS on the bus, one of the jocks made a comment on how “retarded” Nintendo is, and when pushed for information, I found that the peer in question had never played a Nintendo game/console in their life.

“So what makes you think you can just assume they suck if you've never played them, eh?”

“Lol, becuz they look ghey, lol ur such a fegget lol”

I ignored them after that, but it really ticked me off. Your post and many of my daily life experiences just come to show how idiotic younger people can be, and it gives people like me a bad reputation. Also, maybe it's just me, but it gets on my nerves when someone my age or even older types like a 3rd grader. Just throwing that out there.

• Brohoof 2

Now, I am not going to say this is an absolute, but I believe in the statement that, "with age comes wisdom". I joined the internet world when I was around nine or ten. I created forum accounts and mmo accounts, and all that jazz. Fast forward to now, I am 19 years of age, and I sometimes like to go back and look at the stuff I did when I was younger. Needless to say, it is painful. I had such a narrow view on life, and that attitude where. "I AM RIGHT, AND YOU ARE WRONG!" I look back at that stuff and I cringe. Now that I have grown as a person and had various experiences both hard times and easy times; I have a greater outlook on the world I occupy. Now, just because someone is older doesn't mean they have had very many life experiences. Why, my major life altering experience didn't occur until about three years ago. When I was in a huge car crash. Up until then I was the naive prepubescent adolescent who thought the world was meant for me, and that I was invincible. But experiences forge who one is fundamentally, and until one undergoes certain experiences (I am not saying some one has to get into a car crash) they are immature. 

This is what I'm always afraid of, to be honest. I've had a good life so far and I haven't faced any real tragedy, and I'm afraid that every view I have is going to be completely naive and ignorant to anybody with more experience.

But I've come to terms with the fact that I can't let that stop me from doing the best I can. If I restrain myself to doing things "when I'm more mature", I don't have any idea when that'll come, or even if that'll come. By its very nature, I can't know what being more mature is like, not intimately at least. It's like imagining being more intelligent. I can't come up realistically with a mind smarter than my own. 

I don't think I'm more mature than most people my age. More well spoken, perhaps, but that has nothing to do with maturity. I haven't experienced what it's like having people constantly think you are irresponsible or stupid, as some of my less industrious or academically inclined peers have.

You know what I think about most other teens?

I think they are smart, smarter than they think they are or style themselves to be. I think they aren't shallow; they are people just as much as I am, and who's to say they aren't thinking as deeply as me. I think they have intelligence and experience in places where I don't, and I have a leg up on them in other aspects. It can be hard to see online, but through that computer screen is a human, a human with a brain ticking and making decisions. And I can respect that.

• Brohoof 1

Ok I am a young brony but I try not to be a little brat. I know there are a lot of people my age who act like they're super bronies. I don't like people like that and I try to stay away from them. 

• 4 weeks later...

Truthfully, I haven't met anypony younger than thirteen years old on all of the forums that I have ever been on, so I don't really know what you are talking about. Of course, if it is the thirteen year olds you are referring to, I believe you are being the very thing you are ranting about. Personally I think this thread is pointless in it's argument as far as I have seen.

I can't say I've ever had the displeasure of running into a rude brony really. I also tend to be friends with a decently wide age group.

However when I went to Midwestria it caught me off guard most of the people being high school age.

It's nice to find 20-25 year old bronies though since it's closer to my age range. ^_^

I know quite a bit of mature young bronies and quite a bit of immature ones. I also see quite a bit of mature older bronies and quite a bit of immature ones. I don't really think age determines the maturity level of someone. Some people just mature quicker than others. I don't really like it when younger people are automatically known as immature just because of their age. Give them a chance at least.

• Brohoof 1

I am only 13 but I try to be very mature and not act immature and stupid. I don't really like when people assume young people are always immature because that is not true.  Yes some young bronies are immature but i am not one of them and I know a lot of young people on these forums that are mature like Blue Moon, and Bronybob who are both very mature if you ask me. 

• Brohoof 1

I think that the main problem with this girl isn't that she is 13. She probably has a terrible home life.

Not that it is any of your business to find out if her mom is a slut and if her dad is out of the picture, but something like that may be going on with her life. She hears about stuff like rape but does not yet understand how terrible it is. She heard people joke about it but never had a serious conversation with a trusted adult about the horrors that women experience after being raped.

She was also probably spoiled. Someone who is an only child for so long, in the wrong environment, makes someone an entitled little brat.

Part of it is age, too. 13 year olds may not understand the complexities of characters like Rarity. She much more quickly related to Sweetie Belle because she sees herself in her more than in Rarity. She victimized Sweetie Belle and would never admit to Sweetie Belle making mistakes.

I do not have a problem with young bronies. I have a problem with narrow-mindedness, and I have a problem with entitlement. I like most children, but I do get irritated with the ones who are old enough to have a conversation with you, but are too young to use logic and care about others' well-being.

• Brohoof 2

I'm 13, and I try my hardest not to be "that person". There are people that age who are at least somewhat intelligent. Now, I'm not saying I'm some kind of genius who's maturity is beyond anybody's, because I'm not. I can be pretty immature and kind of stupid. But at least I can properly carry a conversation and speak intelligently.

As far as I'm concerned, many young'uns who act in the manner you've described get somewhat of a pass in my book, if for no other reason than the fact that they've got a biological "reason" for behaving immaturely; at that age, the human brain is really quite underdeveloped in the areas of judgment and decision making, which often leads to kids to make outrageously stupid arguments, which they rabidly defend even when proven wrong.

So, while I'm always delighted to see kids around that age who are mature and intelligent "beyond their years" (there certainly are quite a few of 'em around these forums...you know who you are wink.png), those who fit the bill of being a stereotypical bratty 13/whatever-year-old simply get the "Eh, they'll grow out of it...I hope" treatment from me. Because I can't really fault them for it, no matter how much that kind of behavior irritates me.

But at the end of the day, regardless of whether I'm dealing with a young idiot or an idiot my age (or older), I ultimately brush them off as not being worth my time, since...let's be honest, I do have a life beyond arguing with anonymous know-nothings online for hours on end, and I'm sure you do too, Spark. Why even take them seriously if they're not even willing to try, right?

I'm sure you'll appreciate this analogy, but spending 20 minutes on even a single frame of animation is time better spent than typing out a response to someone who won't even read it before spouting more immature BS out at you.  smile.png

• Brohoof 1