Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you improve the designs?

kirbyboi

Sup, everypony! ^_^ 

With more scans and images of the designs of the man six in human form, people have been getting pretty mixed feelings about them. Some people hate the designs, some people are okay with it....so, what would you do to improve or change about the Equestria Girls design?

Here's my list of things we could add/change:

-If Twilight, Rainbow, and Fluttershy could have wings, why not give Rarity and Twilight their horns? Or just remove the wings/horns altogether

-Skin change. They can keep their hair color....but blue/purple/yellow skin? Eh. Just give them natural skin! :P

-Lipstick. Yikes. Rarity I can understand, but having Fluttershy/Pinkie and all the rest? Doesn't look good, and gives it a too- barbie feeling to it 

-The ears. Okay...why?? The ears are pointless....they're human now, so the ears should go bye-bye. Really don't see humans with ears!

Other than that it's okay, but I think they can do better. :3 But the designs are kinda cute! So what do you guys think about them, and how would you change/improve them?

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Yeah, I agree with your points. Rarity looks like a vampire with such white skin, and Twilight and Rainbow Dash have probably the least beleivable skin colours.

I think they changed the ears though. I've seen an official image with human ears. Here!img-1458829-1-Equestria_Girls_February_1

No lipstick there either... Nor wings...

I've seen the other one, with the wings and lipstick, and another thing I'd change is the cutie marks on their faces...

I wish this was the real deal... I heard they'd gone for the other version... The rediculous version...

Spike's still a dog though...

Edited by Skystars Jigglypuff

Change the skin colors to black, white, or asian. I know they're trying not to be rascist, but c'mon! They look like walking pastels.

Second make the ears regular, and not horse shaped.

Third LOOSE THE WINGS! God, looks like frigging freak show high school to me.

• Brohoof 2

I would just change the skirts on Rainbow Dash and Applejack because, I don't really see them wearing skirts. But other then that, I guess they were a bit lazy on the designs.

• Brohoof 1

What I Would Change

- get rid of the cutie mark face tattoos

- change those horrid shoes

- give Rainbow and Applejack shorts or pants

- if wings are allowed, so should horns

What I Would Keep

- the hair with the pony tail extensions are adorable

- Twlight's outfit is perfect, even the shoes

- cutie marks on the clothes

• Brohoof 1

I think they changed the ears though. I've seen an official image with human ears. Here!img-1458829-1-Equestria_Girls_February_1

No lipstick there either... Nor wings...

I've seen the other one, with the wings and lipstick, and another thing I'd change is the cutie marks on their faces...

I wish this was the real deal... I heard they'd gone for the other version... The rediculous version...

Spike's still a dog though...

Yeah I was referring to the other pic which is why I brought up those points. This pic however looks much more clean and I like it better. And yeah, I'd like to have the cutie marks on their clothes rather than faces....because it'd be weird having high school kids with tattoos on their cheeks! :P That and it just doesn't look good. 

The only thing I'd really change is the ridiculous skin colours. I mean, come on! At least make them look slightly human! Also, they don't have cutie marks on their faces or the crazy pony ears. It shows what they look like in the trailer. 

• Brohoof 1

What would I change? Everything. Lauren Faust put a lot of time and effort into making the Ponies look adorable, and this looks like a one night half job. The faces are weird, the legs are too long, the skin color is off-putting, and the shoes are really... odd.

Yeah I was referring to the other pic which is why I brought up those points. This pic however looks much more clean and I like it better. And yeah, I'd like to have the cutie marks on their clothes rather than faces....because it'd be weird having high school kids with tattoos on their cheeks! tongue.png That and it just doesn't look good. 

It's their official design! The trailer came out TODAY! I was so relieved! I still wish they were normal colored... But maybe they thought making them different colors would prevent any claims of racism...

Make them eat some steak, the girls are so skinny, damn it I'm surprised no mums jumped allready waving the banhammer against Hasbro for the lack of any fat person in the whole school or the fact that there are no black people and stuff.

They deemed Derpy to be offensive? expect 4chan probes to lauch themselves on the feminists tumblrs to stop the film from airing lol.

They already got rid of the horns and wings, which personally was the only thing that bothered me.

Keeping the skin colors the same as their pony counterparts is a smart move personally. Keeps the diversity and won't ruin fan dreams when a character is a different ethnicity than they wanted.

I think the thing I would change is their skin color. They just look so odd with having their human form as their body color.

One other thing is, I would take some of the boots away. Give Rainbow Dash shoes.

The character designs are my beef. Frankly, the fear that the story will be cliche or lose all of the charm FiM had wouldn't be enough to make me not buy a ticket and go see this movie. The fact that in general I found the animation to be downright ugly and grating on the eyes isn't enough to make me not watch this movie. 

But the characters themselves...the designs are too sexist for me to be okay with. FiM was a shining beacon in the dark sea of little girl's entertainment, where girls could go to find females represented as competent intelligent individuals capable of having adventures all on their own, to not have to even worry about being objectified or sexualized...and now that's being tossed.

I look at this--all of this--and all I can think to say is that the Applejack I know wouldn't dress like that (speaking of the final, trailer character designs here). She has too much self-respect.

With all the money and resources they've got, they couldn't give one of their best franchises decent animation? Seriously, bronies have done better in their sleep. We couldn't at least have had Ponidox quality humanizations that respect the original characters?

I'm not mad, Hasbro. These sorts of mistakes happen. I'm just disappointed. I will continue to be an MLP fan, but this is why I will most likely not be purchasing a ticket to your latest performance.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really like the look of the skin color thing, it just looks so odd, although they wanted to not make the ponies portrayed a certain race I think, so yeah. but still the colors are so bright, it looks weird on a human.

The ears are also a bit akward, I think they thankfully got rid of the wings and such, which is good. 

Can't think of much else, maybe they should've borrowed from some of the fan art of the fandom more though :P.

Well I see a few minor issues with the character designs for this "Equestria Girls" thing.

First off, their shoes/feet/legs? are kinda tall, it makes the tops of their bodies look disproportional and obscure. Like, if they gave em' some regular legs n' stuff they'd be set to go in my opinion. 

I also agree with people who said they need some wings n' stuff, only for one reason, the colors of the characters in Equestria Girls match the colors of their pony persona in My Little Pony is Magic. Why match the colors if you ain't gonna follow through with the whole deal.

I do have a theory on why they made them obscure colors instead of regular shades of skin (which I won't list due to un-intened racism).

My theory does have to do with racism though, if they made them all white then folks would be like "Wheres the mexicans and the blacks and the asians, ect. ect.?) And even if they did make the characters multi-cultural, any decision of what race to make which personality would lead to racism as well and people would get all hot n' bothered n' stuff.

So, it's probably best they did what they did on the color part, but mainly, fix the feet/legs/shoe aspect of it and it's good to go.

I'm sure Jimmy Carter agrees with me.  

(edited)

1. Plump the design a little bit. In several of the concepts, the characters share a model-esque torso in the shape of an hourglass. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic's purpose is to stray away from that sexist crap and show kids and adults that you don't need these stereotypes to make a series both enjoyable AND factually good. While the designs in the trailer don't display the hourglass as much, it still needs work to make the hourglass even less noticeable. Make the characters appear like real-life humans instead of humans with their torsos retouched each time they apear on camera.
  2. Really vary the clothing to make them in character. Think about it, do you really believe characters like Applejack or Rainbow Dash would want to wear a miniskirt? If you believe you do, then I implore you to understand their personalities, activities, and agility more. Research their personalities, activities, agility, occupation (if applicable), strengths, and flaws; and match them with the clothing style.
  3. Don't copy-and-paste each complete body design from one character to another and alter the colors and details a bit to make it appear that they belong to that character. In each revealed concept, the characters retained the same basic shape for the top, skirt, and footwear with nothing to really separate them. Don't let the colors fool you. If you really want to know how lazy the bodies are:

a. Erase the color and leave only solid white or black blocks.

b. Erase the color and leave behind a black silhouette.

c. Stack the tops, skirts, and boots on top of each other in three neat piles.

Immediately, you'll notice how dangerously subtle the alterations are. When you're making good quality character design, you need a strong base followed by really emphatic differences in the hair, body, AND clothing. This is something Monster High (despite using sex appeal to sell) succeeds: The character designs vary explicitly so you know who's who even though you don't see the details. For Equestria Girls, you can't and need the hair and colors as a crutch to differentiate. For humans or human-like antrhropomorphics, that's a really big problem.

BTW, don't give me the "They're using Flash" excuse, because that no longer works. Back when Macromedia had Flash, it was still a new, rough program. Today, with Adobe running it, they've really made advanced upgrades to where it can be as useful a tool as traditional hand-drawn animation. It may be a tad bit tricky, but Flash can handle these details.

4. If you're going to use the fur color for the Mane Six's human skin, use them for ALL of the humans, not a select few. It makes them stick out like a sore thumb.

And the thing is, several bronies have succeeded in giving the Mane Six great human character design that's creative, intelligent, and AMAZING. Here are two examples: here (Drawfriend pics 37-41 & 43) and here (check out the same brony's Vinyl Scratch's badass design here).

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

The only real issue I have with them is the identical thin build. Have one be pearshaped, one a little flabby... Some variety!

Other than that? No real issue. The technicolor cast was one of the good things about Doug.

As for the "Rainbow Dash and Applejack shouldn't wear skirts"...

They routinely dress up in gowns and dresses. They have been shown with no issue at all towards that. Meanwhile, AJ has never worn pants, and RD only wore them once- while being dressed in full blackbelt gear, and that is a type of uniform. You can't even blame "pants don't exist" here- they clearly do.

Short skirt and bike shorts fits RD better than most alternatives. As for AJ, yeah, I do think this:

Panty-an-Stocking-with-Garterbelt00009-6

Would be pretty ideal, but yeah, her wearing a skirt instead of pants is certainly not out of character.

Heck, the Panty and Stocking "Farm family" pretty much made up a perfect Apple Family, had Sam been stockier, and an Applebloom expy existed.

Sam:

Sam.png

Granny:

char_27413_thumb.jpg

Edited by RWB

Aaah! I just saw the big EqD post and feel awful now!

Above, you are correct, to some degree I'm over-reacting. They're not that badly sexist, it's still a far cry from Winx club or the general state of entertainment.

And...and...I'm sorry, Studio B! I still love you! Please don't feel bad!

The biggest improvement I can think of is to make them all ponies.

But seriously, the outfits should be different for certain characters. I'm not just saying RD and AJ look strange with skirts. Skirts just seemed to be what most of the females were wearing.

Skin Colors:

Twilight: Indian or Asian

Rainbow: Light Tan

Pinkie: Pale, but not sickly

Rarity: Slightly over-pale

Applejack: Dark Tan then Rainbow

Fluttershy: Lighter then Rainbow

Clothes:

Twilight: A purple tank top, elbow length black jacket, dark blue capris with her tail stripes, and purple sneakers.

Rainbow: Keep the tops, but change the skirt and leggings to cyan jogger pants. Hair in a high ponytail.

Pinkie: Same, but with twin tails in her hair.

Rarity: Same but the shirt a blouse and straighter hair.

Applejack: Orange polo shirt, Leather vest, baggy jeans, keep boots. Mid-head ponytail tied at the base of the hair.

Fluttershy: Square-is neck line long sleeve, light yellow shirt with dark green ankle length skirt, moccasin like boots.

Also: NO WINGS OR HORNS

There human, not humanoid.

Who would (somewhat) agree with These?

Above all else aside from the things already pointed out by everyone else they need to make up their fragging minds as to whether they are going to be human or anthropomorphic ponies. Seriously, they look like some kind of half assed cross between anthropomorphs and humans which makes them look more like sickly aliens than either. They should either look something like this

mane_6_request_by_ktdlover-d640nj6.jpg

Or this

mlp__fim___human_group_by_krisrix-d59bkc