Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sky Warden Drew a Pony! (First Attempt: Nasty Picture Alert)

Sky Warden

(edited)

Hi again everypony. Some of you may have known that I'm terrible at visual art (drawing). Yet, I decided to try my hands at drawing. This is my first actual drawing other than those furniture stuff I drew at school (which were also horrible). It's digital, done in Inkscape since my fingers can't dance along with pencil very well. So, here you go:

In case you've already known me too well, no, there's no troll picture or Nicolas Cage in this spoiler:

img-1532660-1-Nlyw1ng.png

The very traditional good ol' basic pose.

See? Weird shapes, horrible lines, nasty line edges, bad proportion, weird looking eyes, mare-ish muzzle, spaghetti legs, and unacceptable mane and tail. tongue.png

Now, let me summon some ponies who said they wanted to see this shit humble piece of art when it's done.

@Motion Spark. Now you can laugh for the rest of your afternoon again, but today it's because of my own drawing, instead of meme. laugh.png

. I couldn't follow that mane tutorial successfully. Terribly sorry. blush.png

@Groovyle. Here's the shit I told you I started making yesterday. :3

@Digiral.

And of course, Lord Inglip the Magnificent.

img-1532660-2-tumblr_m69ihaDQue1r9r38eo1

Now I beg for pointers, especially from you, Motio motio. :3

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 7

Nice job @Sky Warden! A few things I notice:

- The back right leg looks a little weird, I think it should be slightly shorter than the back left one because of perspective.

- What's with dat line separating the neck and the body? :/

- There's no nostrils, but that's okay because it actually looks better without them.

- The front right leg is too long, it needs to be only as long as the back right one.

- You could put a line in the ear (you know, that line in the ear. Does it have a name?). I think it would make the picture look better.

- and finally, the head seems a bit too big for the body.

It's really good still though, better than the crap I could do in digital drawing :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

- The back right leg looks a little weird, I think it should be slightly shorter than the back left one because of perspective.

Actually it's 0.5 mpx shorter. tongue.png

Okay, silly me. I can't shade as well.

What's with dat line separating the neck and the body? :/

post-10241-0-51903500-1367641144.jpg

I forgot to remove that line. I indeed noticed that line earlier, but curse my bad memory, AGAIN! D:

- There's no nostrils, but that's okay because it actually looks better without them.

Again, curse my bad memory.

- The front right leg is too long, it needs to be only as long as the back right one.

Uh, yes. Good eyes.

- You could put a line in the ear (you know, that line in the ear. Does it have a name?). I think it would make the picture look better.

B-but I was going to add that line. D:

- and finally, the head seems a bit too big for the body.

I think so, but according to my math which follows the anatomy guide, it's correct. :/

I will try to draw it smaller next time.

FORGOT TO SAY THANKS! DAMN IT BRAIN! D:<

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I don't see what is that wrong with it Sky Warden?  Certainly not the greatest drawing I've ever seen, but quite lovely for a beginner; hope to see more and improved work from you soon, but seriously, this is a very good start! derpy_emoticon1.png

• Brohoof 1

Inkscape, bad program to draw, you use inkscape if you want to trace over a drawing. ok, here's some pointers.

- head it's too big. But it's ok looking.

- body has a small sausage shape, ponies bodies are more of a bean shape.

- limbs are too thin.

- hooves are too skinny and squared. Add some curves.

- MLP wings are not like that, use some references.

I think that's all for now :)

• Brohoof 2

Eo7XYZH.jpg

LOL!!!! 

So.... How hard to draw ponies , Sky? You always push me to do your request quickly , And now you feel , how hard to draw ponies XD

Anyway,

Your drawing it's something XD

Yous should practice more :D you should make request tread :D So you can practice more :D

Oh, I guess I don't need to give you a critiq again , since the pro have mentioned it :

Good Luck with your practice Sky , XD LOL!!

Nasty picture my backside, freakin' tease...

-Head's too big, mane might look better if bigger, maybe doulecurve the jawline

-hindlegs' anatomy is slightly off

-legs should end on one "ground level"

-The bodyoutline seems a bit too dark

-whats up with the outline separating the body and neck?

Main problem seems to be that you're not quite familiar with the anatomy atm, take this:

post-3492-0-29785400-1340238296_thumb.jpg

and call me with your next pic.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Motion Spark, on 07 Jun 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:Inkscape, bad program to draw, you use inkscape if you want to trace over a drawing.

post-10241-0-51903500-1367641144.jpg

My life is a lie.

Then what program can I use to draw? I can't use Photoshop since I'm on Linux. I think Inkscape is better than GIMP, so I decided to use it.

Motion Spark, on 07 Jun 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:- MLP wings are not like that, use some references.

I used reference for that one. Using that picture Silverwisp post down there. I didn't know that it's not like that. :/

Motion Spark, on 07 Jun 2013 - 12:39 AM, said: I think that's all for now smile.png

post-10241-0-41293300-1360073893.jpg

Then I suppose that means that you will give more later. How about more specific advices like lining, colouring, shading, etc. Shading is too fancy for me at the moment, but will try it soon.

I don't know. How do you people make your lines triangle-in on the end? I tried to use the triangle-in mode with the pen tool and it turned literally triangle. I mean, the tilt (the size difference from one edge to another) is too much.

Other than that, make sense. Thank you Motio. :3

Digiral, on 07 Jun 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:So.... How hard to draw ponies , Sky? You always push me to do your request quickly , And now you feel , how hard to draw ponies XD

It's not that hard and taking so much time. Just one day, and I did it while multi-tasking fixing a crappy program my teacher made. tongue.png

Silverwisp the Bard, on 07 Jun 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:-Head's too big, mane might look better if bigger, maybe doulecurve the jawline

Yeah. I have no guide on how to draw manes. Actually have one, but it was kinda hard to follow since it's mane guide for angles, not the good ol' basic facing-left style.

Silverwisp the Bard, on 07 Jun 2013 - 01:30 AM, said: -legs should end on one "ground level"

post-10241-0-61062900-1359861036.jpg

Actually I drew him like he just landed with his forelegs after flying.

Kidding. Taken, sir.

Silverwisp the Bard, on 07 Jun 2013 - 01:30 AM, said: -The bodyoutline seems a bit too dark

I used Puni Creatah for the colour reference. I will try to make it more... fit with the coat.

Silverwisp the Bard, on 07 Jun 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:Main problem seems to be that you're not quite familiar with the anatomy atm, take this:

Uhm... actually, I used the same picture for the guide. I think it's just me. Well, it's still a first try after all. The warning is correct right? tongue.png

Silverwisp the Bard, on 07 Jun 2013 - 01:30 AM, said: and call me with your next pic.

Sure thing.

Edited by Sky Warden

Wardy...

Don't say "shit" for this.

That shit "humble piece of art" doesn't look that bad considering it's your first try. I haven't even tried yet.

I won't comment then. Why?

See? Weird shapes, horrible lines, nasty line edges, bad proportion, weird looking eyes, mare-ish muzzle, spaghetti legs, and unacceptable mane and tail.

You've mentioned it yourself.

And...

Lord Inglip the Magnificent.

img-1532660-2-tumblr_m69ihaDQue1r9r38eo1

post-13083-0-54920800-1370361179.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Then what program can I use to draw? I can't use Photoshop since I'm on Linux. I think Inkscape is better than GIMP, so I decided to use it.

Have you thought about running a virtual machine of windows on your rig, such as VirtualBox or VMware? This would be the fastest way to getting Photoshoop on your PC I'd imagine sillyapplejackplz.png?2

Edited by Accellerant

Have you thought about running a virtual machine of windows on your rig, such as VirtualBox or VMware? This would be the fastest way to getting Photoshoop on your PC I'd imagine img-1535447-1-sillyapplejackplz.png

Nope. I, honestly, dislike Windows. I'm already well-suited with my Linux. Personally I find Inkscape pretty neat, but since Motion Spark said it's not good for drawing, I will try something else. There are plenty of software in Linux after all.

Also, my second pony drawing is on progress. I just need to finish the braid. The mane is still nasty too. :lol:

For a first picture... it's really good. Better than the ponies I've drawn so far, if any consolation. biggrin.png I'm not going to criticize you. They've already done it ^^^ derpy_emoticon1.pngderpy_emoticon1.pngderpy_emoticon1.pngderpy_emoticon1.png muffins:

Thank you. That means so much. :lol:

By the way, I just finished my second drawing. You can find it here:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/62923-sky-warden-draws-ponies/

Feel free to criticize or whatever. :3