Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parents Complaining About Equestria Girls

DJRainbowDash

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/human-remake-pony-draws-neighsayers-article-1.1370957

Well this now makes things interesting I suppose, after all since the younger audience is what Hasbro is probably marketing to here more than anything. And now with the parents of said younger audience not happy with what they've seen of it so far, perhaps this might change some things. 

Thoughts? 

(edited)

But mini-skirts and hooker boots are the best part. Removing it would just make it a boring, horrible movie, much like Titanic. And who wants that!?

Plus isn't the movie supposed to come out tomorrow? Is it not too late to change anything?

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 13

(edited)

Anyway.. To the matter at hand.

Parents are quite skeptical and over-protective about these things (in general) and I suppose their actions are justified.

Let's just hope they'll soften up eventually.

Removing it would just make it a boring, horrible movie, much like Titanic.

How could you?!

Edited by Floris

I actually have a fear for humanized ponies

It gives me nightmares

But we can't really stop Hasbro making humans

If I was a father and I had a 6 year old daughter I shall let her watch equestria girls

I hate myself sometimes a bit because I like ponies more than humans all thanks to MLP

The younger audience can't stop Hasbro

I do like ponies too much my room is fuel of MLP stuff

I think Equestria girls is made to calm pony lovers down

To let see that humans can understand the true magic ....friendship

But I hope that bronism won't collapse thanks to equestria girls

I hope equestria girls shall not make you stop loving ponies

Ponies = forever bro

• Brohoof 1

Well, what else could have anyone expected?

This happens everytime when something is close to what some people consider crossing the border of "sexism".

And the problem is, they are all both, right and wrong... *sighs*

Let's look at that interesting Hasbro-stuff:

"Hasbro says depicting the Ponies as people will help kids empathize with the characters — and short skirts are simply what’s in vogue."

Hmm... classic marketing. But the ponies are far away from uncanny valley and FiM wouldn't be that successful if the characters wouldn't be already easy to empathize with.

“ 'It’s still all about the power of Pony, just now in a different form that allows them to do different things in this parallel universe that they can’t do in Ponyville,' said marketing director Donna Tobin.

Parents, she says, 'can feel assured that they can know and trust us.' ”

First part... okay... that's one point of view. The second... trust Hasbro... Whenever a big stock company says that, I'd be careful.

(edited)

That article is really only touching the tip of the iceberg to tbh.  If you check out the semi-recent cracked article

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/why-my-little-pony-about-to-get-even-creepier/

you'd be aware that we may have three dimetrically opposed forces convening on the same theaters. Full grown men who may be showing up in cosplay and in full blown brony support, the actual "intended"(?) market demogrpahic of little girls and their parents, and perhaps even tweens also doing the same. It could quite an issue when each shows up the theater and surprised that the other groups are there. If a parent is concerned about what on the screen now then imagine hwo they'll feel when there's a load of brony cosplayers yelling at the screen and cheering right behind them.  happy.png

Its a powerderkeg i tell yah!!

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Aw man, when I read that parents weren't happy with the movie up in the title, I thought that meant that the movie was much darker and more violent than they were led to believe.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

You see the people who are complaining that omg it's too kinky aaaa are, in my eyes, over protective and most likely their children will realize how insanely overprotective they are once they go to school so lol.

• Brohoof 3

I thought half the point (the other half being toys) of EG was to placate parents who were concerned that MLP was too weird. I mean, what other major shows out there are pushing for a movie and are almost completely lacking in humanoid characters?

And what the heck can they do in High School that they can't do in Ponyville? Aside from (debatably) attending High School? Fashion shows, bullying, making friends, and doing battle with god-like beings (twice) are already covered.

Wait a second... I thought that tis movie was meant for a little older audience? I thought Hasbro was trying to get into marketing for kids a little older than what FiM was for.

Parents are just complaining for no reason, they are just trying to be overprotective. They think that the movie should not be shown to their children, give me a break parents. The audience of Hasbro will love the movie anyway, while some will be pretty upset.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You know I din't see parents complaining about Monster High (they also have what some call "hooker clothes") I mean there are Halloween costumes for Monster High For little girls to SCALE! also the pic on that article isn't even accurate the skirts are actually a little longer than that It's not even an official pic.... geez MLP parents gotta ruin everything Derpy can't talk anymore bcuz of them :angry:

Edited by Sparkshower
  • Brohoof 4

"exposed thighs"

Did we go back in time to Victorian era England and no-one told me? Considering how many characters in kids shows dress like that, someone is pulling a double standard here. These people are apparently more prudish than a Catholic girls school.   

• Brohoof 7

Your joking right? What the hell it's not like it shows sex or undies I mean spongebob is worse than this!!! I for one say parents...stop being plotholes

• Brohoof 1

It's just people wanting attention, it's very sad really.  They should be complaining about other tv shows or movies that show way worse things than this.  There is nothing wrong with this.

• Brohoof 1

People just want something to complain about. Plain and simple. MLP is one of the most wholesome cartoons left on TV because it gives kids a good message. The parents complaing are the same ones who let their kids watch PG-13 and R rated movies.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe those parents need to get some babysitters so they can spend a bit of time getting "reacquainted" if you know what I mean, I will admit they have a point about them being stick thin but what kind of a person sees something as sexualized when it is clearly not there. Where were these parents during the back scratching scene in Spike At Your Service? The clopfics from that practically wrote themselves.

• Brohoof 1

I hate just about every aspect of this movie so far, but Jesus tap dancing Christ I can not stand people like this, who gives a crap about how "sexy" looking they are? (although I don't see the appeal at all)

The parents are getting way too worked up over this. They are just cartoon characters and I don't see what's wrong with wearing skirts like what they show in the article. 

• Brohoof 1

"exposed thighs"

Did we go back in time to Victorian era England and no-one told me? Considering how many characters in kids shows dress like that, someone is pulling a double standard here. These people are apparently more prudish than a Catholic girls school.   

*steps out of the TARDIS*

Oh, sorry 'bout that. Not often that I end up in Victorian England though! Shall we head back to where we were intending to go?

• Brohoof 3

Last complaint I heard was people complaining that portaying the ponies as humans will ruin little girls self esteem. Claiming that ponies all look similar and none if them are skinny models or becoming prom queens. Regardless It's as stupid as parents complaining Disney changed the look of the girl from Brave.

• Brohoof 1

"More ho than horse" -- I like that. I think I'm going to start using that phrase.

The hooker boots, tight shirts, and exposed thighs are WHY I want to watch it, but my wants are probably different than that of an 8 year old girl and her sheltering mother.

I guess I'm going to have to step in here since being 37 years old pretty much qualifies me in the age catagory to be a parent even though I am not one.

To be honest, I can actually see where parents are coming from. In this day and age are we not trying to be preach about not caring what other people think of our looks but at the same time releasing sexual propaganda from those in various industries? Would I want my daughter dressing like that in real life? Depends on the length of the skirt and the kind of top.  But from my perspective it a matter of a slutty look or a cutie girl look. If it was the slutty look i'd have issues with it but the 'daddy's little girl' look wouldn't bother me. Think of it as the intention behind the clothes and the thoughts that come with it.
   So based upon personal opinion and knowledge and my own ideals, and awareness of outside influences, and even spiritually, I'd say those are parents over-reacting based upon limited knowledge and less open minds. I can't count how many people should really subscribe to parenting magazine....

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's always gotta be something with someone, doesn't it --;; Put anything out there, and someone will find a way to complain about it.

I don't see much of a difference from most other doll toy lines, so why does there need to be a problem?

Hooker boots? I don't see what makes them "hooker-y." Over here, knee-high boots are a part of the over all general fashion. Low-cut tops, short skirts, hot pants, I could see where some people would find those to be "slutty," if you're gonna go the judgmental route. Boots, though? Really? I fail to see how most or any footwear can be considered "slutty."

Aside from that, again, I say as I've said many times before, if you don't like something in a show, rather than having TV baby sit your kids, either engage in a constructive dialogue with your kids about what they're watching, monitor what they watch and only allow shows you approve of (with parental controls, nowadays, it's really, really not that hard) or better yet, send them outside with a ball or give them some paper and some paints. But don't ruin things for the people who would actually enjoy and want to see the show. And before it's even started, too.

Edited by Clover Heart
  • Brohoof 2