Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can the Elements Of Harmony actually be destroyed?

Zygen

That's quite a good analogy. When Discord discorded the Mane 6, the Elements didn't exactly discord with them, but simply couldn't be utilized, like if Sora was dealt with in a way similar to the discording of the Mane 6, then the Keyblade would lie dormant until its bearer was revived. If anything really, to destroy the Elements of Harmony would take a villain that existed since the birth of Equestria, similar to the devil. Killing the Mane 6 wouldn't destroy them either, so to repeat, it would take a wielder with enormous power to destroy them.

I think the power sufficient to destroy the elements isn't in existence in Equestria honestly, i still can't see it being done in any way really. it would be basically destroying the essences they stand for to destroy them for good.

Like its been brought up before though, i'm sure the physical form of the elements in the jewelry can be destroyed, but the actual elements are more of an essence which embodies the jewelry.

But yeah, I can see what you mean kinda. I still don't know if the power exists though.

(edited)

I got to thinking more on this but there is a way to destroy the elements of Harmony and your not going to like this because it would involve killing the main 6

And I'm completely against that idea

Edited by Argumedies

My 2 cents:

They cannot be destroyed. You gotta love the good old First Law of Thermodynamics: "Energy is neither created nor destroyed, it changes from one form to another."

Yes, it is the world of ponies, but hey they do have gravity (for the most part anyways [Discord dry.png ]).

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got to thinking more on this but there is a way to destroy the elements of Harmony and your not going to like this because it would involve killing the main 6

And I'm completely against that idea

I don't really think killing the mane 6 would destroy the elements, just put them without a user, they would still be able to be utilized in the future by new bearers.

And I'm not suggesting the elements are destroyed or something, just pondering if they can or not.

My 2 cents:

They cannot be destroyed. You gotta love the good old First Law of Thermodynamics: "Energy is neither created nor destroyed, it changes from one form to another."

Yes, it is the world of ponies, but hey they do have gravity (for the most part anyways [Discord img-1585030-1-dry.png ]).

I can agree with that, ponies seem to follow the laws of physics generally, besides when using magic.

I think the gems can be destroyed, but the power of the Elements are in the bearers of the Elements themselves. Of course, you can kill them, but I assume it's like Avatar where the next Elements are immediately selected afterwards.

But one can never truly destroy friendship, emmiright?

• Brohoof 1

Indestructible.

- Anomalus HandMan

I think the gems can be destroyed, but the power of the Elements are in the bearers of the Elements themselves. Of course, you can kill them, but I assume it's like Avatar where the next Elements are immediately selected afterwards.

My opinion on the matter is pretty close to this. Though, I'd like to think that without the relics, the Elements cannot work, but they just have to find the correct gemstone to imbue the powers of the Elements into again. For example:

Magic: Amethyst

Laughter: Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone

Honesty: Topaz, Spessarite, Opal, Tiger's Eye

Loyalty: Ruby, Garnet, Spinel

Generosity: It's really dark purple, right? Certain sapphires should work.

Kindness: Rose Quartz, Kunzite

Good thing they have Rarity, who has a gem metal detector on her head!

• Brohoof 2

Indestructible.

- Anomalus HandMan

My opinion on the matter is pretty close to this. Though, I'd like to think that without the relics, the Elements cannot work, but they just have to find the correct gemstone to imbue the powers of the Elements into again. For example:

Magic: Amethyst

Laughter: Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone

Honesty: Topaz, Spessarite, Opal, Tiger's Eye

Loyalty: Ruby, Garnet, Spinel

Generosity: It's really dark purple, right? Certain sapphires should work.

Kindness: Rose Quartz, Kunzite

Good thing they have Rarity, who has a gem metal detector on her head!

I can kinda agree with you, although I think that the Relics themselves just kinda can be regenerated if need be, as they are in episode 1-2. I can maybe see them fusing into other gemstones, but I think generally what happens in episode 1-2 happens where they regenerate within their bearers presence. 

However i agree the Elements don't work without the Relics, the Relics I think are the method of channeling the power of the Spirits of the Elements of Harmony within the bearers(in this case the mane 6) aswell as the magic of friendship which is what is wielded when they are combined.

And yeah assuming all the bearers have a metal detector pony they'd be pretty set xD.

My theory; The elements cannot be destroyed, BUT they can be hindered from their full potential. Going back to Discord obviously mentally raping the mane 6 into their opposite representations. He did hinder them to where they couldn't utilize their power to where he could be sealed in stone but he couldn't completely destroy their friendship as that's intangible and cannot be destroyed.

So really they can't be destroyed It just comes down to all the representations of harmony to be present and the actual artifacts themselves..

• Brohoof 2

Physically, I have no clue.

But assuming you could, well the way I see it in my mind is that in the end it wouldn't matter that much, kinda like in the movie "Spaceballs".

"Use the Schwarts Lonestar! Use the Schwarts!"

"I can't I lost the ring!"

"Forget the ring! The ring is bubkis. I found it in a crackerjack box. The Schwarts is in you Lonestar! It's in you!"

That's what I'm thinking anyway, a best guess.

• Brohoof 1

The physical manifestations of the elements themselves are destructible, but I think the elements themselves are not because their nature exists in the hearts of the ponies and not the orbs themselves. That's also why they all resemble their cutie marks. Had the mane 6 comprised of a different cast, I have no doubt the orbs would not look like the cutie marks of the current mane 6, but this other hypothetical group.

It's also very interesting to know that the previous bearers of the elements of harmony were Celestia and Luna. If one were to think that there can only be 6 elements because that's how many there are now, it would not really make sense for just two people to be carrying all of them, especially since every pony has some aspect of each other's elemental traits with the one they're known for being superior to the others. Rather, how many elements there are depends on how many bearers there can be, which in turn I think depends on what is necessary at the time. Celestia and Luna utilized them at a time where Discord had been ruling Equestria for a very long time, essentially making them the rebels to a chaotic and tyrannical regime. During the mane 6's time period, it was the other way around where Discord was the one trying to topple a regime, and Twilight and co. were its defenders.

What I mean to say is it's likely that during Celestia's and Luna's days, the elements of harmony may well have been different than what they are now, and will likely change again after the days of the mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

although I think that the Relics themselves just kinda can be regenerated if need be, as they are in episode 1-2. I can maybe see them fusing into other gemstones, but I think generally what happens in episode 1-2 happens where they regenerate within their bearers presence. 

Damn, I forgot about that. And my idea sounded so solid in my head too!

Though I could probably make a case that the rocks that Nightmare Moon smashed were actually geodes...that continued to look like rocks until the Bearers came close...and just happened to have the right gems inside for each Relic...

Meh, I just want to justify floofing around on Wowhead for about a half hour to find the correct colors of gemstone, since I haven't looked at the oldies gems since...well, a really long time. 

I think the representations of the Elements, the necklaces, could be destroyed. But I don't think the actual Elements of Kindness, Loyalty, Laughter, Honesty, Generosity and Magic can be destroyed. Not even by Discord. But if there isn't anyone who represents them, they might not exist for long periods of time. Who knows?

• Brohoof 1

My theory; The elements cannot be destroyed, BUT they can be hindered from their full potential. Going back to Discord obviously mentally raping the mane 6 into their opposite representations. He did hinder them to where they couldn't utilize their power to where he could be sealed in stone but he couldn't completely destroy their friendship as that's intangible and cannot be destroyed.

So really they can't be destroyed It just comes down to all the representations of harmony to be present and the actual artifacts themselves..

I can agree with that. Discord just made it so they didn't really represent their elements at the time, even if he couldn't damage the actual relics apparently.

The physical manifestations of the elements themselves are destructible, but I think the elements themselves are not because their nature exists in the hearts of the ponies and not the orbs themselves. That's also why they all resemble their cutie marks. Had the mane 6 comprised of a different cast, I have no doubt the orbs would not look like the cutie marks of the current mane 6, but this other hypothetical group.

It's also very interesting to know that the previous bearers of the elements of harmony were Celestia and Luna. If one were to think that there can only be 6 elements because that's how many there are now, it would not really make sense for just two people to be carrying all of them, especially since every pony has some aspect of each other's elemental traits with the one they're known for being superior to the others. Rather, how many elements there are depends on how many bearers there can be, which in turn I think depends on what is necessary at the time. Celestia and Luna utilized them at a time where Discord had been ruling Equestria for a very long time, essentially making them the rebels to a chaotic and tyrannical regime. During the mane 6's time period, it was the other way around where Discord was the one trying to topple a regime, and Twilight and co. were its defenders.

What I mean to say is it's likely that during Celestia's and Luna's days, the elements of harmony may well have been different than what they are now, and will likely change again after the days of the mane 6.

Yeah I assume the Elements just kinda formed the way they are because of who the bearers are, not really because those are what the elements are by default.

I guess maybe multiple elements can be used by one pony, since Luna and Celestia used the Elements verses Discord. Maybe they just combinded into 2 different elements with the power of 3 in each, with Luna and Celestia representing a half of the Elements each, meaning they could utilize the powers of them.

Damn, I forgot about that. And my idea sounded so solid in my head too!

Though I could probably make a case that the rocks that Nightmare Moon smashed were actually geodes...that continued to look like rocks until the Bearers came close...and just happened to have the right gems inside for each Relic...

Meh, I just want to justify floofing around on Wowhead for about a half hour to find the correct colors of gemstone, since I haven't looked at the oldies gems since...well, a really long time. 

Well it could still work that way, I mean honestly I wouldn't doubt the Elements could manifest themselves into anything they felt like as long as it worked for a way to channel their power.

So you don't have to give up on your headcannon totally :).

I think the representations of the Elements, the necklaces, could be destroyed. But I don't think the actual Elements of Kindness, Loyalty, Laughter, Honesty, Generosity and Magic can be destroyed. Not even by Discord. But if there isn't anyone who represents them, they might not exist for long periods of time. Who knows?

Yeah, I think the necklaces are possible to destroy physically, but can more or less just rebuild themselves to their bearers when needed.

I assume without a bearer present for the Elements, they just kinda hang in rest until a new bearer is chosen or born or however it works.

Maybe the ability to bear the Elements is even obtained? Idk. Another discussion I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

At first I would agree with the people who are saying that the elements of harmony's crown and necklaces are just representations, but that would mean that the true elements rested inside the ponies. If this were the case, why would it matter if Discord stole them? It would be interesting to find out that Discord knew that the ponies didn't need them and took them away so that they wouldn't attempt to stop him, though.

• Brohoof 1

The elements can't be destroyed. Because there present to this day.

And since energy can not be removed or destroyed, the elements can not be destroyed.

Since the gems are in the elements, they can be destroyed.

• Brohoof 1

The necklaces themselves cannot be destroyed really in a similar way to the Alicorn Amulet. They are part of the user, in essence.

The powers of them can be, Discord actually did it himself by corrupting the mane six. Not the magical powers but the traits required for the user to wear them.

• Brohoof 1

At first I would agree with the people who are saying that the elements of harmony's crown and necklaces are just representations, but that would mean that the true elements rested inside the ponies. If this were the case, why would it matter if Discord stole them? It would be interesting to find out that Discord knew that the ponies didn't need them and took them away so that they wouldn't attempt to stop him, though.

Well because i think of the elements as the way to channel the powers possesed inside the mane 6, however the actual gems serve no other purpose, so as long as the bearers are still around they can just manifest into another form or be fixed, and then used to channel the magic again.

Like in the premier episode.

The elements can't be destroyed. Because there present to this day.

And since energy can not be removed or destroyed, the elements can not be destroyed.

Since the gems are in the elements, they can be destroyed.

Yeah basically, the gems are destructable, but not the power or the channeling, i think if they are destroyed and the bearers are around they will just regenerate or something, or move their powers into another object. It would explain why the gems happened to form to their cutie mark's shapes.(Unless all bearers had the same cutie marks or something crazy, which is impossible since Luna and Celestia wielded them)

The necklaces themselves cannot be destroyed really in a similar way to the Alicorn Amulet. They are part of the user, in essence.

The powers of them can be, Discord actually did it himself by corrupting the mane six. Not the magical powers but the traits required for the user to wear them.

Yeah, even if the Alicorn amulet was never attempted to be destroyed either, they did say the only way to get rid of its power is having the user take it off.

I assume something similar applies to the elements.

But yeah the Discording of the mane 6 basically made them unworthy in a sense of their own elements, so thus they could not use and channel the elements they represented, because they no longer represented those elements.

The artifacts themselves can be destroyed but the virtues they represent can't be destroyed, only neutralized. Its like the Four Horsemen. You can't destroy abstract forces and concepts like War, Famine, Conquest and Death. Do you know how absurd that sounds destroying War, a concept that is the embodiment of destruction. And killing Death? I don't even need to explain that one.

Well, in Equestria, as far as we know, there is no longer war, famine, or conquest. However, they can arise again, if, say, Celestia and Luna get overthrown. So I think that, in the same way, the elements cannot be destroyed as long as ponies are capable of laughter, loyalty, generosity, kindness, honesty, and producing magic.

Edited by Fergus Mo

Well, in Equestria, as far as we know, there is no longer war, famine, or conquest. However, they can arise again, if, say, Celestia and Luna get overthrown. So I think that, in the same way, the elements cannot be destroyed as long as ponies are capable of laughter, loyalty, generosity, kindness, honesty, and producing magic.

Silly mortal concepts like war and death don't just magically disappear. But let's allow the writers of Supernatural to elaborate on what I said earlier:

The things the Horseman represent in pestilence, famine and war are like forces of natures and are states that humans experience all the time. So it isn't as though when Lucifer comes on the scene he brings these monsters with him that are unleashed that we haven't been experiencing the effects of throughout history. It's more that he gathers them to him.

– Sera GambleSupernatural: The Official Companion Season 5

You simply can't destroy a concept, only perhaps what it represents. This is what effectively makes Discord truly immortal, unlike the Princesses. You can't "destroy" discord, not unless you can alter reality and the laws of reality perhaps. Discord is the personification of well...discord. 

Also as far as we're concerned, Equestria still is subject to the Four Horsemen's influence like anyone else, just not in a concentrated potent form. People still argue and fight whether trivially as with Applejack vs Rainbow Dash or Rarity or in bigger conflicts like in Over a Barrel or A Canterlot Wedding. They're still prone to disease and forces and enemies like King Sombra and Chrysalis trying to subdue and influence others. They still rely heavily upon one another for food and have basic and personal desires like we do too, especially seen with the Cutie Mark Crusaders and all the Mane 6. And yes even the looming force of Death presides over Equestria like anywhere else, balancing out life everywhere and briefly hinted by the funeral and coffin in Hearts and Hooves Day.

As far as the elements are concerned, you're spot on. As long as anyONE is capable of loyalty, laughter, honesty, kindness, generosity and the magic of friendship they can't be destroyed. Bear in mind that it was Spike who helped save Crystal Empire and not the Mane 6 so I don't think you have to be a pony to wield the elements. 

The only person who can destroy the elements of harmony is Chuck Norris. he was going to destroy them, he thought that the only real element is the element of surprise, but he saw the brony community and decided not to ruin our fun.

• Brohoof 1

I am going to have to agree that whilst the artefacts can be destroyed, the bearers can be corrupted, the Elements themselves cannot be destroyed. And as for why Discord did not destroy the artefacts... probably because he knows it would not work. Corrupting the bearers was more effective, and probably more fun.

Although there may be a way to destroy the Elements. Wipe out all life. Needless to say, this wouldn't be done.

• 2 years later...

I think that, because the mane 6 require them to perform their spell, only they can destroy their own element.

I mean to go off of The Incredibles, where the only way to destroy the machines that Syndrome created were to have it strike itself and destroy it's parts from the inside out.

Another example is the third Raikage in Naruto. He's physically invulnerable. Period. Except when he uses his chakra blade. It's the only attack strong enough to penetrate his impermeable body.

So this idea is that the "indestructible" elements of harmony are vulnerable to their own magic and if used on themselves, would destroy them all at once.

Stupid Discord. He had the right idea, but went the wrong way about it. He should have pitted them against each other instead of neutralizing their ability to use them in the first place.

I actually see the ponies themsleves as the elemnts not the gems. The power is given unlocked for the first time by the jewels but in recent episodes they have eused it despite returning the jeewles. so the pwoer is within them not the jewels. and when they die it will be passed on to the next chosen ones as it passed from celestia to them the only way to permanantly destroy an element is to kill the pony while they ae in their corrupted form. Mabye that is what discord was planning in the maze, becaus ehe successfully corrupted them then after that he would kill the ponies riding the world of the elements. Kinda like an if the avatart dies in the avatar state type concept for last airbender fans