Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why so surprised at Twilicorn?

Viking

Why is everyone so surprised at Twilight becoming a alicorn? She was made the apprentice to Celestia so you would assume that eventually she would have become a princess. While she may not fully be ready it was still bound to happen. Whats next people complaining that the CMC will get cutie marks?

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Well, that something like that would happen was predictable. Just consider how the show developed and some influence was taken by Hasbro in things like the season 2 finale.

But...

It was not Faust's idea to turn Twilight into an alicorn. She wanted to make her Celetia's sucessor, but never in that way. I have an idea what she actually wanted, but I think that's maybe a bit too speculative...

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 2

Why is everypony so surprised at Twilight becoming a alicorn? She was made the apprentice to Celestia so you would assume that eventually she would have become a princess. While she may not fully be ready it was still bound to happen. Whats next ponies complaining that the CMC will get cutie marks?

I’m not complaining about it. I think it’s a nice idea and an interesting direction though I don’t know how it may change Twilight’s character. As for the CMC, giving them CM would change their purpose in the show and diminish their presence I would guess.

I have an idea what she actually wanted, but I think that's maybe a bit too suggestive...

why

why

why

I was somewhat surprised, because usually kids' shows don't actually develop. Usually nothing ever changes, that way the show can go on for a longer period of time. Also, they avoid things like this, because now Twilight will be an alicorn in the new episodes, but a unicorn in the old, and it might confuse some kids, because they don't know the difference between reruns and new episodes.

I found it odd as a choice from the staff in general; I really don't care about the show at all, any more, so I'm not complaining.

Twilight Sparkle went through puberty case closed.

I wasn't offended, but it took me a bit to warm-up to the idea  of her getting wings though.

alicorn_by_omycuteness-d5t9hr4.png

Doesn't she look cute though? (>^O^)>

• Brohoof 5

I wasn't doubting it at ALL. I pretty much knew that something magical will happen to Twilight, changing her forever since the beginning. And she already had, even in times during Season 1.

I was a bit surprised at what happened in the episode but, since it was rushed most people were not surprised by it. But, then later on in the episode the surprising started to wear off. The only thing that surprised me was, the cutie marks being switched.

This again? Oh, please. It has been months since the final.

Let's wait and see what will happen next. I believe they have interesting ideas to play with Alicorn Twilight.

Doesn't she look cute though? (>^O^)>

Actually she looks like a unicorn with a genetically-weird pair of wings to me. XD

It is not such much that it happened at all that surprised me, it is when it happened that caught me by surprise. Aside from some subtle hints such as her being "ready" or "taking the next" step season 3 had very little to do with alicorn Twilight. Even the season finale felt like a mere formality until the coronation to me as well as many others with how rushed it was. 

• Brohoof 1

I really don't care that she is an alicorn. Nor am I surprised. It opens up a few new ideas for plots. I'd love to see a Twilight/Rainbow Dash episode where Dashie has to teach Twily how to fly. That'd be epic. Maybe fluttershy could get on in the action too.

• Brohoof 1

Well I think everyone kinda saw it happening, but they didn't expect it to arrive as quickly and randomly as it did. :P 

Personally I don't mind it, the show handled it well, so I'm not complaining. But I think that's the main reason why. It was kinda thrown in at almost the last minute, so people sorta outraged. But I don't see why people freaked out so much, it was bound to happen eventually. Plus the show isn't ruined, and we ended up having a great season 3 finale!! :3

(edited)

I'm not surprised about Twilight becoming an Alicorn; I'm surprised people are still talking about it.

Seriously, it happened months ago, getting worked up over it changes nothing. Either accept the new addition to the show, or move on already, I'm sick of hearing about this insipid, petty subject.

This debate has gotten about as old as the fossilized dog turds in my backyard that have been sitting outside for years because I'm too lazy to dispose of them.

Edited by Commander Urdnot

I'm not surprised about Twilight becoming an Alicorn; I'm surprised people are still talking about it.

Yes, but not nearly as much as they did shortly before and for the few months after the season finale. The condescending attitude of "take it or leave it" does about as little to actually encourage people to accept the change as the people who are overreacting to it. Ironically many of the people who tell other to "deal with it" or "move on", haven't really moved on anymore than the people endlessly obsessing over how twilicorn has supposedly ruined the show because they are still letting the opinions of others upset them.

I was opposed to twilicorn because I felt it was poorly handled and way too soon, but became neutral after seeing that Equestria Girls was handled far better than I expected it to be and I make apologies to no one for taking either position. So can we please try to actually listen to, respect each other and maybe realize that the other side may have an occasional legitimate point even if we might not agree with everything they say.

• Brohoof 1

personally i love the idea of her becoming an alicorn and was not surprised  when she did

my predictions for the future of the mane six 

logic time

i think all of the mane six will at some point ascend to princess status and become alicorns themselves.

the reason i think this is because of the elements of harmony it would be logical to immortalize ( assuming alicorn status brings immortality) them so if equestria does fall in the distant future they wont have to find new ponies that can wield them cos the mane six are immortal

• 3 weeks later...
I was somewhat surprised, because usually kids' shows don't actually develop. Usually nothing ever changes, that way the show can go on for a longer period of time. Also, they avoid things like this, because now Twilight will be an alicorn in the new episodes, but a unicorn in the old, and it might confuse some kids, because they don't know the difference between reruns and new episodes.

I found it odd as a choice from the staff in general; I really don't care about the show at all, any more, so I'm not complaining.

They might not have done this if it stayed as just a show for little girls. But with the mixed demographic that nobody expected, they now have the opportunity to make the show develop and change over time, and have people that understand and appreciate it (us bronies). Another possibility is that this is just another aspect of that makes the show so much better than the fodder that they put out to occupy the empty minds of the fat little kids that are the children of developed countries nowadays.

Alicorns, though obviously of the same group of pony-ness, seemed to be a "breed" of their own, in that they were born and not made. Alicorns have more of a horse like appearance while ponies...have a pony like appearance. As @ said I too went from opposed to neutral about Alicorn Twilight after Equestria Girls, possibly because it let out some air out of an overinflated tire of a situation. I would prefer Twilight relinquishing her Princess-hood and confounded wings in Season 4, but will look past it if it doesn't happen. Just glad she wasn't my favorite pony. ;)

I think we should just wait for season 4 how they handle it. I dont see why its that bad really. She just got wings and is a princess. 

I dont think she will become a lazy princess Celestia the second  :wacko:

She will still be my favourite pony.

(edited)

Seriously? The crown, the faith Celestia had in Twilight? The confusion of Cadance being an Alicorn? It all seemed to be pointing towards ultimate understanding of your talents and using them at the highest power, which of course means you grow more power, wings, and authority. I thought it was a good idea to make all royalty such as Twilight and Cadance Alicorns. It only makes and defines the powerful protectors even more. Plus, fathoms more opportunities. All of my opinion is pretty much summed up by the awesome Digibrony:

Seriously guys? Why all the whining and gasps? This idea completely works,and Twilight will not outlive her friends or change the theme  because she grew wings.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy

It surprised me because, idk, i guess I wasn't thinking about it that much?

But still, i've warmed up to it, between time and EqG i'm cool with Twilight being an Alicorn, she hasn't given me a reason to hate her for being one yet, so I guess we have to wait for S4 to see what happens there.

• 5 weeks later...

Why is everyone so surprised at Twilight becoming a alicorn? She was made the apprentice to Celestia so you would assume that eventually she would have become a princess. While she may not fully be ready it was still bound to happen. Whats next people complaining that the CMC will get cutie marks?

You know, when I first started watching MLP and first became a Brony, I always pictured Twilight with a horn and wings for some reason. I never knew why, but it just seemed to fit. and if I am correct I did read somewhere recently that Lauren Faust's original plan was to have Twilight replace Celestia. Please do not quote me on this.

Edited by Xelphos

• 1 month later...

[This post is hidden. No offense to anyone, but I am no longer part of the community and no longer wish to be an (active) part of the forums. I treasure the friendships I made along the way. Thank you!]

Edited by CadetGrey

Seriously, it happened months ago, getting worked up over it changes nothing. Either accept the new addition to the show, or move on already, I'm sick of hearing about this insipid, petty subject.

This debate has gotten about as old as the fossilized dog turds in my backyard that have been sitting outside for years because I'm too lazy to dispose of them.

Dude we're in the alicorn section LOL.

it's the cliff hanger of the last season so to speak.  Of course we're gonna talk about it.  Just like if the cliff hanger was Derpy getting corrective eye work done. 

OH you better believe we'd be talking about it lol.

The very reason i don't mind yet, is the very reason i'm happy to talk about it.

"there's nothing to talk about yet!" (LOL).

it's 100 percent speculation.

Everything there is to say about alicorn twilight might as well may be bs.

The writing staff can totally have her being a rookie flying and i think alot fans would enjoy that alot more than "she flew on screen for 5 seconds!  It's a non issue!"

BUt even if they skip flying lessons that's nothing.

I mean you could sink a whole season into alicorn twilight,.

(not asking for it)

but you could.

there not going to, but it really opens up alot.