are fandoms the new religon?

Mr. Changeling

Well, not really religion, but the identification with a group that represents the own interests can contingently be seen as some sort of "surrogate religion". The debate, if political ideologies and religious shaped political concepts can also be seen as surrogate religions, is quite old. But since religions have a few characteristics that are not given in fandoms, you can't really say that fandoms are religions.

(edited)

No.

I'm sorry, but... what? Religions and Fandoms aren't even in the same tier. We don't bow before the candy colored ponies and adhere to every word they say, now do we? 

Religion is still very important to the large majority of the world, and is still a topic of much discussion. Also, religion has never defined who you are, and never will. The only difference is how others perceive you based on which religion you follow, and actions that you may have done which were influenced by said religion.

I would like to point out that what you said is not true of all religions. Look at Buddhism they do not bow down to any god yet they are considered a perfectly valid religion. And the definition of religion is as I quote

"the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith"

We certainly practice religious like beliefs don't we? Every morning I wake singing "Smile smile smile" that could be considered just as legitimate as the prayer a monk says when he wakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Csjr8bXvPw replace doctor who with my little pony and whovians with bronies 

Edited by DoctorWhoAreYouvian

Years ago I would have said, "no, you're crazy" but lately that can't be the case. You make a good point. Religion by definition syncs up near perfectly with this fandom. It certainly is an interesting idea. Overall I don't think many truly worship the ponies so for now, a fandom we stand.  

• Brohoof 1

I would like to point out that what you said is not true of all religions. Look at Buddhism they do not bow down to any god yet they are considered a perfectly valid religion. And the definition of religion is as I quote

"the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith"

We certainly practice religious like beliefs don't we? Every morning I wake singing "Smile smile smile" that could be considered just as legitimate as the prayer a monk says when he wakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Csjr8bXvPw replace doctor who with my little pony and whovians with bronies 

The Bowing down was an out of place example I was using. I realize that not all religions do that. But tell me this, how much "faith" do you hold in your fandoms? 

Religions are devotions to a faith which has an everlasting effect on one's life and in most cases, after-life.

I don't think the OP meant this at all the insult or offend anyone but only to state that some people not all but some take their love of certain fandoms a bit too far so far in some cases that they can treat it like a religion. On the flip side there are people that can also treat religion as a sort of fandom in a way which is even worse but that dosen't mean all people do that anymore than all people in fandoms treat them like religions. Fewer people are doing this for the MLP fandom over all but there are more people putting the fandom on a pedestal than most fandoms I have seen which I do find a bit disturbing.

Easy there tiger. You're taking it WAY too literally.. I think what he may be saying is that younger people may be consumed by a fandom like MLP and incorporate it very much into their very lives. Kinda the way a religious person feels compelled to tell everyone how much they are religious and want to get others interested they would do so with MLP. That term i would nickname as being an mlp "crusader".

I don't think one is replacing the other but i do think that thing like mlp lend themsleves to a youthful community that well connected by the internet and social media. It's reflected by how the identify themsleves online. I'm not sure that religion can compete in that way or that it has youth on its side (as its more controlled by the older and much less internet savvy groups). I think most people are taught by their parents to be religious and have faith early on rather than picking it up later in life (with plenty of exceptions of course) so society may change slowly in that way (or not).

I'm fairly certain that I interpreted OP's question correctly. But I suppose you two are right since more people seem to agree with you, the hell with what I think.

In a way Yes,for example Christians would segregate to see the pope on a yearly basis like conventions.Fandoms are also a major factor in describing people just like religion was.

In a way NO,for example Religions have intense rules wereas Fandoms don't.

When I say fandoms are like religion, I meen fandoms bring us together like religions. 50 years ago, many people came together, as a community, from religion. Fast forward to the present, people like myself dont really believe, so I feel that fandoms have kind of taken the place of religions, community wise. Now worshipping pastel colored horses .......... im not that strange

We're not a religion at all, we just don't fit the characteristics as mentioned by many other people in this thread.

I think we're more of a community, and a pretty big one at that.

The more I look and observe our generation, the more I dont see religion. Fifty years ago, religion defined somebody, made them who they are and fandoms were not as important, but the more I realize our generation, the more I see this is completly flipped. Fandoms have defined us (bronys, whoovians, treckis, ect), but religion has been a topic almost long forgotten. Which is why I ask, are fandoms the new religion?

Nonononononononononono, atleast not here in Serbia. But sadly, religion has been lost too. 

Yeah and the word religion, comes from latin and means reunion with God.

Fandoms can't be religions, then, since they don't do any reunion with God at all.

(edited)

No. The urge to be a part of something we consider good and to define ourselves by association with it is universal, but religions have many strict rules and seek to influence our entire lifestyle. In fandoms it's just about entertaining ourselves and having fun. If you follow a fandom like a religion you're taking it too seriously and kind of defeating the purpose. 

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

(edited)

I think if a fandom gets out of hand, it can become a religion. That's kind of what Scientology is.

I think if we as a species fall into the same pitfalls as our ancestors and take these stories way too seriously, then yes, I think a fandom can become like a religion, but it would take a few generations to reach that point. (Scientology took less time because the book was written with the intent of creating a religion.)

An example might be: My generation of Whovians  telling our kids about the Doctor and how he is such an extraordinary man and how awesome of a show it was. Then my kids tell their kids about the Doctor, then they tell their kids, and so on. Eventually, Doctor Who has been off the air for decades and is told only by word of mouth. Somewhere along the line, someone forgets to mention that this was all just a TV show. Next thing we know, people think the Doctor is a real person, and people end up praying to him. Like in the season 3 ending with the Master.

Religion seem to occur when stories are told over time and key information is lost. It's like a worldwide game of telephone.

Nonononononononononono, atleast not here in Serbia. But sadly, religion has been lost too. 

Yeah and the word religion, comes from latin and means reunion with God.

Fandoms can't be religions, then, since they don't do any reunion with God at all.

God is a name we Humans give to entities we perceive as all powerful. One could see the Doctor as God, or maybe even Discord. It's all about perception.

Edited by Dj Manjaro
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

(Let me be clear here I am not trying to convert anyone, but I do have some points that I would like others to take into consideration.)

"Religion should be our relationship to the Creator. Can one make a fandom his or her religion? Sure but it would be spiritually unhealthy. It's like this, the most important thing in your life is your religion or more specifically your god. The danger is that the thing, person, or ideal you worship (give all of your attention to) will dictate who you are. How you pray is how you live. Fandoms our just for fun, if we worship fun we will become indifferent to things that are not fun, but that are important. Sacrificing for the good of another is one example. So in the end you would lose your ability to love, if the most important thing in your life is fun.

Also one more important point I would like to make is that of fulfillment. This was talked about at Brony Con. We do things in our lives to find fulfillment, it's the thing that separates us from any other creature. This fandom gives us a lot of happiness and excitement, it fulfills us but only to an extent. Happiness in this life does not last forever, we experience this with everything. For example try watching MLP episodes over and over again, it eventually gets boring not fulfilling. What we truly desire is our Creator who is are beginning and last end." - A Catholic Brony

When you say "defined someone" that's where I disagree. I am the same person as ever, except I enjoy MLP. I agree that religion is becoming less important and fandoms are becoming more prevalent, but I think this is simply due to the Internet, not because of people giving up religion and moving to fandoms. Just my thoughts. 

Not at all. "Religion" has a certain meaning and fandoms are not religions. They also aren't at all important outside the people who care about them, just like religion isn't important outside the circles of religious folk.

Lots of people seem to think so, but this is very far from the truth. Fandoms are just something we really enjoy, and that's all there is to it. It may take up a large part of our lives, but that doesn't keep it from being any more than a fandom.

I read Celestia's good word every day when I need strength, and every night before I go to bed :D

Just kidding. I'm sorry, but I don't want to identify myself with any religion; I don't worship the ponies, I just really enjoy them. If I was worshipping them, it'd take all of the fun out being a brony. It's something I enjoy, not my entire life, and while I do devote a lot fo my time towards this fandom, I do it because I have a lot of fun with it; not because I'm devoting my entire being to it.

By defination no becuase we(bornies) don't worship a superhuman,but Whovians yes becuase they worship humanbeing like creature with power.Back to Bronies, we do't worship a superhuamn but I would call the borny fandom semi-religious because we do have a set of values,but we don't worship anything.

Fandom is very much a nerd culture thing, not every person is a part of one. Having a passion for an entertainment property someone else created is no where near as meaningful as religious beliefs for most people, so most certainly not.

• 6 years later...
On 7/23/2013 at 3:42 AM, Mr. Changeling said:

The more I look and observe our generation, the more I dont see religion. Fifty years ago, religion defined somebody, made them who they are and fandoms were not as important, but the more I realize our generation, the more I see this is completly flipped. Fandoms have defined us (bronys, whoovians, treckis, ect), but religion has been a topic almost long forgotten.

Why I hate discussing religion, because it is controversial. I have to say I have also noticed this.