Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone else liked Snips and Snails in this Movie?

Mywas

Before this Movie I found Snips and Snail to be A rip off of Patrick and Spongebob but without their charm and comedy.

But the movie seems to give them more depth than they have in the actual show. They reminded me of Pain and Crash(Well they kinda turned into them). And they actually were funny, I Liked them more than Sunset to be honest.

I hope they potray them like that In the actual show.

No, I hated them in this movie! They were so mean for no reason, yeah their annoying in FiM but here they never meant to hurt anyone. In the movie their just mean for no reason other than to be mean. They were completely OOC their not mean Meghan their just dumb. Do we really need more bully characters to act like jerks for no reason in FiM?

• Brohoof 2

No, I hated them in this movie! They were so mean for no reason, yeah their annoying in FiM but here they never meant to hurt anyone. In the movie their just mean for no reason other than to be mean. They were completely OOC their not mean Meghan their just dumb. Do we really need more bully characters to act like jerks for no reason in FiM?

It's more that they're always lackeys/slaves for antagonists of their race (first Trixie, then Sunset Shimmer). It gets kinda repetitive.

• Brohoof 2

Not only did I dislike Snips's and Snails's portrayals in Equestria Girls. I loathed them because of how bad they were from an objective writing and characterization standpoint. Snips and Snails aren't the brightest characters in the canon, but they didn't go out of their way to intentionally harm anyone. After their screwup in Boast Busters, they loved the action but still felt guilty. They caused chaos, but didn't intend to actually showcase any harm, which is why Twilight enacted the mustache spell: to cheer them up. The same characterizations persisted in Magic Duel, where they were victims to Trixie's corruption.

In Equestria Girls, Snips and Snails were villains. Cruel, calculated bullies who followed Sunset Shimmer's orders and consciously make Twilight's life a living hell in Canterlot High. What they did during the movie was something Snips and Snails would truly never do. They may be dumb, but they're innocent and actually have consciences. When you twist the characterization this much to the point where they were unrecognizable, that's bad writing and bad characterization.

In Equestria Girls, they weren't Snips and Snails. They were other characters disguised as them.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

In Equestria Girls, they weren't Snips and Snails. They were other characters disguised as them.

I agree, the Snips and Snails of EQG was very inaccurate to their personality. Many of the characters in the show remained the same but why is it that Snips and Snails go from being ignorant colts to arrogant bullies? 

I always saw the two as naive kiddos with good intentions, but never outright malicious. I just assumed that given their age boost, that somewhere they were bullied a lot by other kids. As a result, they reacted by becoming bullies themselves when they got older. That's just a guess though.

The worst part is that this is never explained. Are we to assume that Snips and Snails were just plain evil in the human universe? Or did SS convince them somehow to do whatever she says? Might as well have called them Slap and Stick.

• Brohoof 4

Snips and Snails are not my thing in the show, and they are not my thing in this movie either. Not that I have anything against them, but I was half-surprised they weren't wearing shirts that said "Thug 1" and "Thug 2" in the film.

I also like this version of Snips and Snails more. What made the two work was seeing how much they love being evil. It's also refreshing to see that, for once, the villain keeps the idiot goons around for a reason- they actually do accomplish their goals. They take all those photos, trash the gym, and kidnap Spike. Snips and Snails in this movie were somewhat likable as henchmen go, as opposed to just being tolerable like their pony counterparts. 

Edited by ByTheTides

I have always hated those mindless little bastards. It's because of mindless followers like them that our world is in such disarray. If there was an MLP equivalent to hired thugs it would be those two. Their annoying voices and personalities don't help either. 

I dunno on this whole "weren't accurate to their personality" thing I'm seeing here...

Snips and Snails are the buffoons of the series, they'll side with anyone that they feel is going to be on top, and then try to play the part of the "helpful lackey" to the extreme.

TBH I found them very in persona with their Pony counter parts.

Trixie was mean to others, not them, and they worshiped her regardless.

Even when she was mean to them they still stayed willingly by her side. But Trixie also wasn't generally cruel or particularly sly.

Sunset Shimmer had a devious side, and these two tried to mimic that as well, just as they tried to mimic Trixies boastfulness when they took her side and went around bragging about Trixie to others, so much that they tried to prove she could take on the Ursa Major.

So to me they felt rather spot on.

But then again I still think RD was perfectly in character in the MMDW episode as well, not sure if its wrap up was very well executed, but she IS an exceedingly self centered and boastful pony. So its not unlikely to get out of hand and needing a quick humbling once in awhile.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

Eh, I didn't really like them. They were pretty much nothing more than Sunset Shimmer's minions. I didn't think they were genuinely hostile though. It seems like they didn't know any better than to follow Sunset Shimmer's orders. If you look at the scene after Helping Twilight Win the Crown plays, you see Snips and Snails dancing to the music, much to Sunset Shimmer's chagrin. I think that scene shows that Snips and Snails aren't actually mean-spirited; they're just mindlessly following orders. When Snips and Snails were taking pictures of Twilight in bad moments, it seems to me like they were giggling because Twilight's antics were enjoyable, not because they were happy to get good footage to embarrass her in front of the whole school. I'd probably like them more if they were portrayed as more than just mindless followers. I also didn't like them much because they were pretty much doing the same thing with Sunset Shimmer as they were doing with Trixie; being minions. They would probably be much more likable if they weren't serving the wishes of the antagonists all the time. I can see a lot of good in both of them, and I'm hoping that they are able to redeem themselves sometime in the show's future.

I dunno on this whole "weren't accurate to their personality" thing I'm seeing here...

Snips and Snails are the buffoons of the series, they'll side with anyone that they feel is going to be on top, and then try to play the part of the "helpful lackey" to the extreme.

TBH I found them very in persona with their Pony counter parts.

Trixie was mean to others, not them, and they worshiped her regardless.

Even when she was mean to them they still stayed willingly by her side. But Trixie also wasn't generally cruel or particularly sly.

Sunset Shimmer had a devious side, and these two tried to mimic that as well, just as they tried to mimic Trixies boastfulness when they took her side and went around bragging about Trixie to others, so much that they tried to prove she could take on the Ursa Major.

So to me they felt rather spot on.

But then again I still think RD was perfectly in character in the MMDW episode as well, not sure if its wrap up was very well executed, but she IS an exceedingly self centered and boastful pony. So its not unlikely to get out of hand and needing a quick humbling once in awhile.

Thank you for this.

I generally find that people complain that there isn't enough character development for certain characters. But as soon as a character acts a bit differently from what they are used to seeing, they complain that it is out of character.

Do people not realize that people - and therefore characters - are way more complicated than that?

It's not even that Snips and Snails got any real deep character development. All that we are seeing is them being brainless goons for the lady at the top of the totem pole. And we see that they actually behave differently depending on who they are worshipping.

And that is actually very realistic. People in general will behave differently and change their beliefs based on who they think is the best or what they begin to think is the best way to get recognition by the queen bee.

People think that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have been better in Snips and Snails' positions in this movie. Except that I am not sure if it is in character for Diamond Tiara to be anyone's lacky. She wants to be the boss, and I have a feeling that if she were older, she would be in competition with Sunset Shimmer instead of working with her.

• Brohoof 2

I almost felt like Snips and Snails from the movie were different characters than the ones in the pony universe. The two of them never did anything wrong in Equestria, except admire Trixie too much that they brought an ursa minor into town just to watch a bear destroy a house.

In Equestria Girls, they went out of their way to do some of Sunset Shimmer's dirty work, something that didn't happen in the poniverse. Can't say much else.

• Brohoof 1

All I feel is that they always are getting pushed around by that same type of character. Maybe in a future episode they could over come that and be more of themselves and stop trying to idolize and do everything for someone. They aren't much of characters yet. They don't get seen much and they never really are themselves (that's what I feel, but I'm not exactly sure). There just has to be more about them. I always like seeing them though because I like their voices and they act like twerpy characters. I would definitely not say that they are my favourite characters though, or anywhere near being my favourite characters. I can appreciate the small amounts of time they appear though. If they were always there, it would get kind of annoying.

• Brohoof 1

I liked them in the movie I just dont know why they were portrayed as villeins or rather the main villeins assistance. They are just dumb and very easy to put influence on and thats why they blindly fallow and do the things that they do.

Like with Trixie for example they only followed her because they didn't really have minds of their own, not because thay wanted to help the bad guy. :\

I liked them, I just don't get why they were the villain's lackey. Maybe instead of loving Trixie, Sunset Shimmer was there trixie?

I DUNNO.

I don't really think that my opinion changed on both of them since, I don't like them in the show or movie. Having Snips and Snails as lackeys to Sunset Shimmer, wasn't really surprising I really expected that.

• Brohoof 1

I enjoyed seeing them as lackeys to Sunset Shimmer, but I felt they were way too mean spirited and cruel, granted it was better seeing them than some dumb replacements, all in all good lackeys and goons, but not my favorite as humans or ponies.

Almost every story needs a conflict for its development, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the characters that cause the problem/conflict need to be annoying/dis-likable.

In my opinion, a good example of this would be the first two episodes of S1, which showcased Nightmare Moon. Nothing in her personality made her seem annoying. I believe that this was because she actually had purpose and reason behind her actions.

Although, it is true that Sunset Shimmer, Snips, and Snails all had their own purposes for their actions, I just think that among those three, only Sunset Shimmer had the most meaning and reason. It is my opinion that Snips and Snails hardly had any reason behind their actions. The only reasons that might apply to their actions in EQG would probably be concerned with getting more popular (through Sunset Shimmer), or just about having fun (in doing bad things). Both of these are bad reasons (for me) in the sense that it lacks a greater (more evil) purpose to contribute to the story development. Some might say that Sunset Shimmer did things for popularity, but in the end, we see that she did things for greater and worse reasons, which would be power. Though this reason or purpose is more evil in a sense, it still is better (for story development) than such a small reason such as having fun in making others look bad.

I understand that there had to be some sort of catalyst to carry out what Sunset Shimmer had wanted, which would ultimately give the story its conflict/problem. Those catalysts, however, seemed very lousy in terms of their character (I think this because of their supposed purposes in doing things). 

All in all, EQG made me somewhat dislike Snips and Snails when compared to how I initially just ignored them in the original series. It's probably because only the bad side of their personalities were shown in EQG, when compared to their other scenes in the actual series. Maybe, if they (the human Snips and Snails) were given more screen time in another movie/episode, then perhaps they could be portrayed in different ways that could maybe show another aspect of them in terms of personality and motives. 

I will say this, even though I loved the movie, this is the one thing that truly bothered me. Snips and Snails were not in character at all, except for being somewhat stupid. They were too mean spirited, too willing to do actual harm to others. They were never like this in the original show, so why were they here? I suppose a valid theory could be that they were, in a sense, 'corrupted' by Sunset Shimmer, the same way that she was corrupted in her own way. The problem is that this is not clarified. The only reason we are given, is that they are just evil minions of Shimmer's. That is not enough for me.

On the other hand, it did give them more purpose than before. Well, maybe not more purpose, but a more refined one. Still, it just was not good enough. I know that they are perfect fodder for something like that, but Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have been easy fits to the roles. They actually have some sense of actually being really mean to other's and them being evil? I could easily see that. Not at all with Snips and Snails.

On the other hand, it did give them more purpose than before. Well, maybe not more purpose, but a more refined one. Still, it just was not good enough. I know that they are perfect fodder for something like that, but Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have been easy fits to the roles. They actually have some sense of actually being really mean to other's and them being evil? I could easily see that. Not at all with Snips and Snails.

No, thats silly.

Diamond Tiara likes to be incharge and boss people around not the other way around.

And saying that Snips and Snails were out of character is not fair since they barely have an atual character

• Brohoof 3

My opinion has not changed from the first time we were introduced to the characters. I knew they'd be Sunset's little assistants because they usually are? What I don't understand is why they're always assistants to the baddies? I mean, they're fillies and not to mention appear quite dumb. It's getting old that they're always latching on to the next big thing imo.

• Brohoof 1

Sunset needed to get minions, and in retrospect, Snips and Snails were obviously not the right choice. I guess they wanted to help pay the rent or something. But both of them played the role as goofy henchmen, just look at the way Snails scooted into the library.

post-19066-0-82188900-1377138559.png

I still like them.

It does bother me that they were a little too cruel, but once they see someone like Trixie or Sunset Shimmer, that's just what they do.

So my opinion hasn't really changed about them.

Edited by Generosity
  • Brohoof 1