Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever responded to a greeting meant for somebody else?

Xievie

Yeah, that has happened to me on multiple times in fact. I used to get really embarrassed about it but now the most embarrassing things is when I accidentally call someone something else by mistake. Like for example you people are probably going to die laughing. And I feel embarrassed just typing this out. To this very day I have accidentally called one of my friend's "Dad"on more than one occasion. (Don't ask, because I don't even know. :blush: )

I do it on purpose, Around here in Shetland everyone is nosy, and everyone usually says hell to each other, so its usually natural instinct to say hello back. I don't get embarrassed if it was to someone else, I... really can't imagine being embarrassed by that.

Not as embaressing as other peoples but since i work over nights and no boss there if someone calls and asks for the manager i just pretend i am, but yeah i have had that happen many times though

It used to happen all the time!  My problem is that my first name is John and if another John was around, I'd absent mindedly respond to an address intended for another person.  Unfortunately, as time went on, it caused me to tune out "John's!" that were meant for me.  So some people thought I was being ignorant. 

I manage this situation pretty well now.  I still answer to the wrong John on occasion, but I can laugh and say there are too many John's in here.  :P

This has happened to me a few times before at school, and it is pretty embarrassing. Thankfully, it doesn't happen a whole lot. I usually try to look at who is speaking when I think that person might be addressing me before I respond just to make sure that they are indeed talking to me.

• 2 months later...

Has happened to me a few times, someone was waving at me from across the room... so I waved back... and they gave me this odd look.. so I turn around and see he was waving at the girl behind me........ I wanted to hide so badly..

All the time, if someone is greeting somebody I am always sure that it's not meant for me. The same goes for me thinking that someone is talking to me, nope. You learn from experience, so if someone talks to me I won't respond unless he/she says my name. It's just a bit embarrassing, you always feel like they're judging you for it.

• 6 years later...

Sure, it’s happened before. And usually when I think someone is saying ‘hello’ I tend to respond in a very broad way like a great big toothy smile and a loud, “Hi there!” But when I realize they weren’t talking to me I laugh and make some silly joke like, “I was talking to the person behind you!” I’d rather risk making an ass of myself than fail to respond if someone really is talking to me. That would feel terrible. 

• Brohoof 3

Never embarrassing. Happens all the time with my family. We greet, respond, sometimes respond even though said greeting wasn't directed at us and we kind of just go on with our life. But it is never embarrassing nor awkward. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

agh damn I hate that sometime. Especially when a person have their fucking bluetooth earphone when talking on their phone. Why can't everyone just talk on a phone like a normal person?? I also hated when someone DOES greet me but they don't bother looking directly at me and thought I was rude for not saying anything back. If you want to greet me- look straight into my eyes.

• Brohoof 2