Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Original Mane Six Designs

Descant

I've seen this picture floating around the group of pages I follow on Facebook, and just thought I'd share it with you all. It's of the G4 beta version of the Mane Six.

img-1831183-1-1237168_534294763307944_13

Beta Dash was originally going to be known as Firefly, I believe, as this version of her is based in both looks and personality on the G1 pony of the same name. Cutie mark of dual lightning bolts.

Applejack... Hasn't changed. At all. Except for the hat.

Fluttershy was originally an earth pony named Posey.

Pinkie Pie was originally a pegasus pony named Surprise.

Rarity's colors originally resembled that of G1 pony Sparkler. I'm not sure if she was known as Rarity in the beta. But she has the biggest change. Her element was originally supposed to be the Element of Inspiration, not the Element of Generosity. But it was decided that Inspiration would be too complex for the kids (that are the intended audience) to wrap their heads around.

Twilight was originally known as Twilight Twinkle, who's G3 design she was switched to, having originally resembled the G1 pony Twilight. She had a cutie mark that looked like a moon and star, instead of the six-pointed thing we all know and love.

Would you all have still watched the show had the Mane Six resembled their pitch versions rather than the Six we all know and love? If the changes to them that made them the way the are now never happened? Do you prefer the older designs? Talk to me. :3

Edited by Dezzie
  • Brohoof 4

The old designs are only different in name and aesthetics. While I like the finalized names and designs much better, I would still enjoy the show if these concepts held up. So long as the characters are still themselves at heart, and the show is still fun to watch, I would've been fine. :)

I have to admit, it would be hysterical to see Pinkie Pie as a pegasus. She'd be even crazier, bouncier, and more gravity-defying than ever. Fluttershy probably wishes she was an Earth pony due to her fear of heights, so she wouldn't feel too terribly different as it is. Beyond that, Twilight doesn't look very good with white hair, and Applejack just isn't the same without her hat. Firefly is cool, but nothing is more eye pleasing than a pony with a beautiful rainbow colored mane.

• Brohoof 1

High pitched F*** no! What is that Posey? What kind of name is that. That n-

Deep voice: Sombra! Did you say what I think you heard?!

High pitched tone: N-No daddy.

Monotone voice: Yes he did.

Deep voice: You don't say that! That's grown up talk! *Spanks the young tyrant* There don't let it happen again.

High pitched voice: OW, OW, OW, OW, okay, I won't say that I'm sorry.

Deep tone: *Door slams shut*

Monotone voice: I won't let it happen either young one.

• Brohoof 1

I like the newer names better. Twilight Twinkle doesn't sound nearly as epic as Twilight Sparkle, and Fluttershy > Posey by a lot.

I think I would've still watched the show, but I would've taken it much less seriously.

Fluttershy was originally an earth pony named Posey. Pinkie Pie was originally a pegasus pony named Surprise.

Posey? I don't even know how you pronounce that! Poss-ee? Pose-ee? Poss-eigh?!?! Fluttershy is much more lovely and character-accurate. Pinkie Pie's name >> Surprise, but it wouldn't have been too big a problem. Twinkle Twinkle is a bit too cheesy IMO.

As for the designs, it seems as if Rarity and Twilight's manes were switched. I'm not too fond of Pinkie Pie's color scheme in the beta. Rainbow Dash ain't half bad, but like Sugar Cube said, we all have to love her beautiful rainbow colored mane!

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... there isn't much I like about the original version better than the current version. I would have still been fond of MLP regardless!

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie was originally a pegasus pony named Surprise.

What a...surprise!

rainbow_dash_cool_by_angelicagarcia-d53g

I actually knew of some of these changes, and I'm quite happy with them.  I do like the red highlight in Rarity's mane though.

• Brohoof 1

It would make the show somewhat different even beyond the color changes, with Pinkie Pie being a pegasus and Fluttershy being an Earth pony. Still, I'm pretty sure it would have been just as good.

Twilight Sparkle's color choices there just don't work well for me at all, though. And I much prefer Pinkie Pie pink, and Rainbow Dash with rainbows. lol. The final color choices for all of them are better, but really it's mainly Twilight Sparkle here that bothers me.

I just feel like the original's colour makes them feel bland and almost "lifeless".

And Pinkie basically has pegasus powers now anyway from just being awesome :P and I like the fact Fluttershy got wings (I also think the name is a lot better :) )! Imagine how many episodes would have been lost if it was not for Fluttershy being a Pegasus :P!

It's really interesting to see the characters I know and love in this early stage of their creation. I think all the changes were for the better though both the visual and the changes in names.  The final versions feel a lot more unique than these. And Rainbow Dash is infinitely cooler than Firefly  B) !

Edited by Armchair Adventurer

I would still watch the show, honestly. And wow, that Rarity/Sparkler one looks absolutely gorgeous. 

998f6RPAeKo.jpg

I'm obsessed with the mane+tail colors. But...I still like Rarity's design better. 

• Brohoof 1

It really just looks like someone's played around with the Hue in photoshop haha. I was going to say that Twilights hair looks cool (just like her mothers)  and that that's the only change I'd like to see stick but with her purple body I'm not so sure it would work. Otherwise there too much pink and yellow.

The only one of the beta designs that I like really is Surprise, then again she is the most popular one. And Applejack is Applejack which is fine. The rest... bleh. I'm so glad we ended up getting the ponies that we did, which, sure, are probably girlier in color all things considered, but I don't think I would like Rarity nearly as much if she looked like... that... or if her name was... Sparkler... *shudders*

Firefly doesn't look too bad but Rainbow Dash is just so much better.

Posey is a dumb name... and while it would of made sense for Fluttershy to have been an earth pony I like her better as a pegasus...

Twilight Twinkle looks like a piled on mish-mash of everything but the kitchen sink, and the white mane doesn't look right on her, not to mention that the pink coat is the same color as Firefly's.

Overall, final Mane 6 >>>>>> beta Mane 6, by a long shot. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Posey? I don't even know how you pronounce that! Poss-ee? Pose-ee?

A posey is a flower. Your second pronunciation is the correct one.

So glad they made the changes they did. I would probably still have watched the show, but I like that the colors and names are the way they are now.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Wow, I thought Surprise was fan made. :blink:

EDIT: Actually, she's one of the Wonderbolts.

post-25729-0-86441900-1409042829.png

I prefer how they are now.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1