Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Opinion on "Brony Cringe" videos.

Derpius

I'm curious to know what my fellow bronies think of all the cringe-worthy videos of bronies on YouTube. You know, the ones that involve fedoras, neckbeards, and bronies sperging out in public (airlessarchives69 on YouTube has a nice collection of cringeworthy brony videos if you want to check them out).

I want to know whether you guys are offended by, or otherwise dislike cringe videos, or if you like laughing at that side of the fandom.

Personally, I love brony cringe videos. I find them both funny and educational on how not to embarrass yourself as a brony!

What do you think?

• Brohoof 5

...I swear to all things chaotic...that I find something new in this fandom every day. So what exactly is a cringe video and what does it involve?

Cringe videos are commonly videos of people in awkward moments. They can sometimes be funny, disturbing, and even nearly unbearable to watch. Many fandoms, ours included, have their fair share of cringe videos. If you want some examples, check out this channel here:

http://m.youtube.com/user/airlessarchives69

Be warned, though, you may find some of these videos a bit unsettling.

This is only cringe-worthy if you take it seriously. It looks very tongue-in-cheek to me which is probably the reason I laughed so hard.

idk how anyone can take a grown man dancing in public to mlp music seriously. haha

I made the video knowing fully I can't dance, but I like to make people laugh, so im glad to see that was your reaction. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't like watching things that make me embarrassed. Therefore I don't like cringe videos, brony or not. I think the worst part is those folks who like to use autism as an insult in the comments.

• Brohoof 1

Beware the oncoming storm...

[rant]

What the hell is wrong with fedoras and beards?  What the hell is wrong with dancing?  Hey, what the hell is wrong with grown men liking a little kids' show in general?

Dude, it makes me sick when people (bronies and non-bronies alike) want to hate on or insult people just for being themselves.

Just because someone else doesn't share the same fashion sense as you doesn't mean that he is ugly, stupid, or gross, or however you want to put it.  I've seen fat bronies, goth bronies, cutsie bronies, bronies who are so gay they could fart glitter, Black/White/Asian/Hispanic bronies (and any other races around the world), and bronies who wear cowboy hats.  Guess what.  They're all bronies, and they're all people.

Yes, people do dumb shit.  Yes, they do dumb shit in public.  It's part of being human; get over it.  

[/rant]

That said, I've seen such videos, and here is my take on them:  I don't see "weirdos" or "creeps" or "socially awkward people."  I just see people having fun and doing what they want to do.  Why can't everyone else see that?  Is there something in your eye?

• Brohoof 2

I personally love it when people do whatever they want for whatever reason they want, just because they don't care about what people think. 

I think that's awesome. Do what you like and love it. 

The videos that actually make me cringe are the ones that make fun of bronies, like collegehumor's videos. 

I already have a very unstable sense of being a brony. I easily feel the shame even though I've indulged myself in the fandom for a while now. 

So seeing the stereotypes really makes me feel sick because i start to panic that I might end up like the imaginary brony that rarely exists. 

which is ironic, cuz I've posted several stupid videos about mlp on youtube, so I kinda contradict myself there. 

it's a strange topic, cringe videos...cuz on one hand they're awesome, but at the same time, if they fit the stereotype, it can be a little strange. 

• Brohoof 2

Pros:

• They're generally an example of how not to be a Brony
  • Most of them are uploaded by the offender themselves
  • Certain ones can give you a pretty good laugh

Cons:

• It prompts generalisation of the fandom by others
  • It also prompts the shitty side of Youtube commenters, using played insults like "manchildren" and "autists"
  • You gotta feel sorry for the offender in the end.
  • Brohoof 4

I guess it's all up to opinion. 

Like for example that dance video I posted up there. 

Some could find see it as a cringe video. CamRad18 said it made him laugh, but could be seen as cringe worthy if it was meant to be serious.

I had non-brony friends who thought it was awesome. 

I'm sure other non-brony friends saw it as a cringe video.

So like I said.

It all depends on perspective. 

some bronies may think a brony video is weird while non bronies could find it fun. Other way around too. 

The shame of it is that videos such as those perpetuate the ill will many feel against bronies. The community gets so upset when they are treated as being somehow wrong, but then fuel the fire by posting self made videos that make them look like asses before the very people they're upset at for thinking there's something wrong with them. It's a vicious cycle.

• Brohoof 2

I just like to stay away from them altogether, or at least try to avoid looking at the comments. There can be a few funny exceptions which I run into, such as this one here. Even though this video is supposed to be a "how some people think of bronies" video instead of a "bronies in a nutshell" video, it's still hilarious.

• Brohoof 5

God, those videos make me feel so much shame... I know they are just being 'themselves' and 'their own person', but seriously, it makes more.... moderate Bronies look bad, and tars us all with the same brush. Unless they are being ironic, then it'd be pretty funny. But still, I just... I feel uncomfortable watching those videos, even I'm the antithesis of the people in the videos. Its videos like those that keep me from telling anyone that I like the show.

• Brohoof 2

I just like to stay away from them altogether, or at least try to avoid looking at the comments. There can be a few funny exceptions which I run into, such as this one here. Even though this video is supposed to be a "how some people think of bronies" video instead of a "bronies in a nutshell" video, it's still hilarious.

That video was pretty funny.

But I would never see that as cringe worthy cuz no one ever does stuff like that. I highly doubt there are any fans in their right mind, of that age, who would do that. 

We all know it's satire and what's easier to make fun of than a group of adult male fans of this show meant for little girls?

So I guess in a way, brony videos, in general, are more likely to be seen as "cringe worthy", because say the guy talking to santa was talking about pokemon. It would be seen completely different because there, the guy is breaking one social norm. He's a grown up interested in kid stuff (and I guess he's talking to santa, but ignore that). But replace it with mlp and suddenly more rules are broken. We don't think about the rules we break ourselves, but when we see others do it, fictional or not, we realize the weirdness and ridiculousness of it all and that's where the cringe comes from. It's a reflective look at not who we are, but what is possible to associate with or be associated with.

The more norms broken, the easier it is to feel alien.

We shouldn't feel ashamed from watching the silly things others do, but why is it we do?

I've seen alot of the same responses on this forum saying the same thing of not wanting to watch it to avoid embarrassment.

Speaking for myself, I watch nerds talk about videos games, something im into, and I don't feel embarrassed. 

So why do I feel it  for certain brony videos? Why do I feel the embarrassment from collegehumor brony videos when I know im not a fedora wearing neckbeard.

There's got to be more psychology involved in this, but im willing to guess I've got an underlying feeling of guilt that's always present and only becomes magnified when called out on it. Though I accept the "It's ok to like mlp" thing, I wonder, can 20 years of social molding ever be completely removed and ignored.  Or

Is it still in the subconscious and any little thing that is strange about bronies set off the red flag and remind me that "this isn't right".

Just my personal thoughts on the matter. I'm no psychologist and I kinda just thought this up on the fly. 

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 1

Mars Brownie, on 13 Sept 2013 - 5:20 PM, said:

Nice video! I haven't laughed my ass off this hard in a while. Some of them can be funny. The ones that are actually cringe worthy, well they're a whole different story. I would never get mad at the person who made the video. I may feel a little embarrassed for them, but hey why should I? They were the ones who decided to upload the video. Unless they're making a total ass out of themselves, what's to be embarrassed about? I for one think Fedoras are totally badass. I haven't seen very many of these so called videos for myself, so I shouldn't be talking too much. I'm actually going to go watch a few of these right now. I may edit this later with some updated opinions on this topic.

Beware the oncoming storm...

[rant]

What the hell is wrong with fedoras and beards?  What the hell is wrong with dancing?  Hey, what the hell is wrong with grown men liking a little kids' show in general?

Dude, it makes me sick when people (bronies and non-bronies alike) want to hate on or insult people just for being themselves.

Just because someone else doesn't share the same fashion sense as you doesn't mean that he is ugly, stupid, or gross, or however you want to put it.  I've seen fat bronies, goth bronies, cutsie bronies, bronies who are so gay they could fart glitter, Black/White/Asian/Hispanic bronies (and any other races around the world), and bronies who wear cowboy hats.  Guess what.  They're all bronies, and they're all people.

Yes, people do dumb shit.  Yes, they do dumb shit in public.  It's part of being human; get over it.  

[/rant]

That said, I've seen such videos, and here is my take on them:  I don't see "weirdos" or "creeps" or "socially awkward people."  I just see people having fun and doing what they want to do.  Why can't everyone else see that?  Is there something in your eye?

Counter-rant incoming:

Where do I even start? First of all a fedora combined with a graphic tee is anything but the height of fashion, and many fedora wearers only end up coming off as losers trying and failing to be cool. As for neckbeards, neckbeards are more often than not lonely, middle aged basement dwellers who take their interests waaaay too seriously. But normal beards are okay, though. We reserve the right to laugh at these people, just as they have the right to feel falsely superior to everyone else.

I'm not gonna deny that people do dumb things. It happens to everyone in every fandom, but trying to guilt-trip people into not laughing at stupidity is stupid in its own way. Many people find stupidity funny, and for a good reason too. Not only do cringe videos provide a source of humor, but they can also serve as a guide for others on how not to embarass themselves.

As long as people have the right to sperg out in public about ponies, we all will have the right to laugh at them and judge them. It may seem cruel and mean, but so is life. I suggest you get off your moral high-horse and get over it.

Counter-rant incoming:

Where do I even start? First of all a fedora combined with a graphic tee is anything but the height of fashion, and many fedora wearers only end up coming off as losers trying and failing to be cool. As for neckbeards, neckbeards are more often than not lonely, middle aged basement dwellers who take their interests waaaay too seriously. But normal beards are okay, though. We reserve the right to laugh at these people, just as they have the right to feel falsely superior to everyone else.

I'm not gonna deny that people do dumb things. It happens to everyone in every fandom, but trying to guilt-trip people into not laughing at stupidity is stupid in its own way. Many people find stupidity funny, and for a good reason too. Not only do cringe videos provide a source of humor, but they can also serve as a guide for others on how not to embarass themselves.

As long as people have the right to sperg out in public about ponies, we all will have the right to laugh at them and judge them. It may seem cruel and mean, but so is life. I suggest you get off your moral high-horse and get over it.

My entire point was that these opinions don't matter.  Why should it matter whether or not someone is "fashionable"?  Why should you care if other people are "cool" or not?  It's none of your business or anyone else's except for the person who chooses to dress that way.  Some people don't have any concept of "embarrassment" because they are too comfortable with themselves to let others' opinions bring them down.  If it doesn't matter to them, it shouldn't matter to you.

Sure, you have a right to judge and laugh at them, but... why would you want to?  It contradicts all that Friendship is Magic stands for.

• Brohoof 3

Just, just no. I'm not exactly a saint when comes to making fun of people but laughing at the expense of someone innocent who's just legitimately awkward makes me feel like shit.

Not to mention watching the videos in the first place is awkward, painful, and just plain uncomfortable.  

Sure, you have a right to judge and laugh at them, but... why would you want to?  It contradicts all that Friendship is Magic stands for.

yeeeeah! Jam dat Friendship!

but laughing at the expense of someone innocent who's just legitimately awkward makes me feel like shit.

I agree, unless that legitimately awkward person is looking for laughs, cuz I know there are people who know they're awkward and use it to their advantage. Cuz no one likes the weirdo who sits in the corner and frowns all day. Everyone likes the weirdo who's funny. 

also, it's becoming judge-ception here cuz Derpius has a point about judging those who judge

vvv

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 3

My entire point was that these opinions don't matter.  Why should it matter whether or not someone is "fashionable"?  Why should you care if other people are "cool" or not?  It's none of your business or anyone else's except for the person who chooses to dress that way.  Some people don't have any concept of "embarrassment" because they are too comfortable with themselves to let others' opinions bring them down.  If it doesn't matter to them, it shouldn't matter to you.

Why would I judge a fedora-wearing neckbeard who is obsessed with ponies??

It's simple: I disagree with their antics, opinions, and lifestyle. I have the right to do that, just like anyone has the right to judge me based on what I do or say. I know it's fucked up, but that's the way life works.

As for judging people going against everything MLP:FiM teaches, have you taken a look at our fandom lately? I'd say just about nobody fully follows what the show teaches (I have mixed feelings about that aspect).

If you want to be a loving, tolerant,and accepting brony, then good for you! Now actually be non judgemental and stop judging those who judge!

• Brohoof 1