Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anything that You Do NOT Like Ponified or Crossovered with FiM?

Cwanky

Most of here, to some extent, greater or less in general, enjoy MLP:FiM and a lot of the fan art, fanfics, and stuff associated with it, save some of the bad clopfics, parodies and such.

With that said, is there any genre, show, area, or anything else that you DO NOT like ponified, crossovered or fanficed? Like maybe the weird gore fics like Cupcakes, which I don't enjoy or care to know much about or Trollestia? Maybe its not that you don't necessarily dislike it ponified but you prefer it in its original or otherwise incarnation. Alicorn Twilight is a big example of not necessarily a crossover, but a "what if" scenario come true. The biggest of course being Equestria Girls, which understandably drew much criticism and ire from the fandom. 

I personally do not like Pony Fantasy 6. It probably is a solid game with better mechanics and a good storyline, but I cannot ever see myself playing it, nor ever choosing it over the original Final Fantasy 6. You are not gonna slap ponies on well written characters by experienced game writers and designers that people like myself have come to love and enjoy. I guess this is one of those areas where I have to side with the "haters" for "bronies shoving the fandom in peoples' faces." Don't get me wrong I think this show is excellent and has potential to go much further but I can't conscionably rate it over certain genres and that includes fanfics. :mellow:

Are there any "red lines" that you would draw or rather not cross when it comes to this show and the fandom, or is it anything goes for you? 

Anything that takes itself too serious or grimdark

So I don't like things like Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory, Sweet Apple Massacre, etc

And for crossovers, I heavily dislike ponified CoD, Battlefield, or anything like a military shooter, as well as ponified modern military(I just think it  looks dumb)

• Brohoof 10

I see MLP as a relatively light-hearted franchise. That said, I have no quarrels with the characters and the concept of the show stepping into darker grounds, possibly with bittersweet moments and even harsher moments of opposition to a character.

However, grimdarkness and gore are a BIG no-no. I'd say, for starters, that there are very few M-rated games that I can take being associated with MLP. No Gears of War, no Call of Duty, no Mortal Kombat, slay all the crossovers with Duke Nukem, and such and such. They have too heavy a confliction with the show I have come to love, GREATLY contrasting with the show and what it stands for.

So yeah, there's my two bits.

• Brohoof 3

I don't have a problem with anything being ponified.  It can be rather amusing to see what people come up with.  I might not like everything that gets ponified but again, it's really up to what direction the artist takes it in.

• Brohoof 1

I think that if you ponify Gears of War it wouldn't exactly appeal to their demographic of the show, not much the game really. The vision that the artist has really does not matter, if it does go in the right direction I won't mind.

I'm generally neutral about ponification and crossovers. But for me to like them, it requires the characters to act canon or good in general.

The fanfic "Upheaval" is a good example of ponies crossed with a warring world, because it's handled believably, and the characters stay in-character while adapting to the new world/situation.

For ponifications that don't involve canon characters, as long as there's a reason that characters act the way they do, and the overall quality is good, I'd be interested in it.

As for what I don't like...I guess anything particularly bad quality? Especially if they're parodying something popular, and gets popular solely due to that. Then I see something bad quality everywhere, and that can get tiring.

• Brohoof 1

wish_you_were_here_ponified_by_balloons5

Oddly I don't like the idea of someone ponifying album covers, or bands for that matter, although I do like Rainbow Dash Dark Side of the Moon one, but that's an actual t-shirt. But yeah, just don't do it. 

Just about anything really... I don't like the idea of cross overs, or ponifying things outside the fandom.... ESPECIALLY ZELDA HOW COULD THEY DO THAT ITS JUST UNBELIEVABLE THAT THEY WOULD DISGRACE THE GRACE, BEAUTY AND MAGNIFICENCE THAT IS A LINK TO THE PAST BY PUTTING DITZY DOO IN IT! Granted, I have nothing against Ditzy Doo, but no.... just no. :( 

• Brohoof 1

I don't like the idea of someone ponifying album covers

Aww, but that's epic!

105209__safe_sweetie-belle_ponified_unde

Anyway... I probably don't like when they mix this horrible japanese thing with MLP... You probably know what I'm talking about. It's just... no. But I don't mind of other people enjoy this.

• Brohoof 1

Aww, but that's epic!

Heh, you can see her horn and everything.   ^_^

One of the most powerful reasons we love these ponies is because their personalities, their character traits, their body language, their personal histories and their relationships are so perfectly us.  We identify with them so strongly, and we love them so dearly because they embody our own hopes, fears, triumphs, weaknesses and potential.

With that in mind, I'm ok with literally any medium of pony story that explores what we are capable of: whether it's The Scootaloo Diaries (NSFW), Reading Rainbow or even Beyond the Wall or one of my personal favorites, The Carnivore's Prayer.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have any problem with anything that's being ponified or cross-overed. While there are plenty of really bad examples, everything that has a crossover or has been ponified also has good examples. It's up to the artist what he or she makes of it, the rest is just a matter of preference and opinion from the viewer's side.

I could read or view any kind of crossover or ponification and enjoy it. It doesn't really matter what it is. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind anything ponified really. But, if I were to be honest, ponified album art looks weird to me. It's not that I hate it or whatever but it just looks so weird to me...

for example...

hard_day__s_night__ponified__by_jblesh-d

It doesn't look right...it never does either. :/

• Brohoof 1

Just as a lot of people said, grimdark is a definate no-no. 

I like suspense stories but stuff like Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory and don't forget that horrible Sweet Apple Massacre, ugh. First of all, ponies were not made for that. Second of all, it just makes us bronies look very bad. 

Yes, actually. Most things id rather not ponify are favorites of mine, like Brawl, Pokemon, and other vidya games.

I also find myself really getting bothered whenever someone spazzes over being able to ponify something or even mentioning how things would supposedly be better with ponies. :l

No Gears of War

Even as a gearhead, i actually have to agree on not mixing ponies and GoW, but for different reasons. Grimdark doesn't bother me and i enjoy it on occasion, however, i feel that ponies would lessen it quite a chunk. It could work, but eh, id rather not. Theres actually a fic out i meant to read to see how i actually felt about it. Never got around to it. Multiplayer wise....well, itd actually be cool to bounce around as AJ and one shot Dashie. :lol:

Just about anything really... I don't like the idea of cross overs, or ponifying things outside the fandom.... ESPECIALLY ZELDA HOW COULD THEY DO THAT ITS JUST UNBELIEVABLE THAT THEY WOULD DISGRACE THE GRACE, BEAUTY AND MAGNIFICENCE THAT IS A LINK TO THE PAST BY PUTTING DITZY DOO IN IT! Granted, I have nothing against Ditzy Doo, but no.... just no. :(

Umm, not to go against what i just said, but anything with Ditzy in it is 100% better by default.1NnfO96.jpg

Though, i do feel your pain at the same time.

• Brohoof 1

I can't see why people don't like MLP crossover/ponified with grimdark stuff, but probably it's just me because I'm dark.

I absolutely don't care what MLP ponifies but what I DO NOT like getting ponified is Homestuck. I'm just like "HOLY CELESTIA, what the flank is this crap?!" It's better off Homestuck itself w/ it's own fandom (not saying that their fandom sucks).

Not every crossover is done well or is my cup of tea, but I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that I am dead set against MLP being crossed over with and even if I was there really isn't much of a point because fans are going to do what they are going to do.

• Brohoof 1

I hate grimdark and R34 and stuff like that, but I don't mind ponified versions of things as long as it's done in tribute or light-hearted parody and not taken as a serious thing, like when people ponify anime intros and scenes for fun. Now if they tried to ponify the entire thing, then no.

As for cross-overs, I like finding references and elements of shows, movies, games, etc. in fan works, but I don't think there are many things MLP can cross-over with and still maintain it's light tone.

Most singers, as one would expect. However, I saw a few ponified vocaloids and that looked pretty neat.

Also, I wouldn't want a pony version of my school. I'd much rather have humans going around in a gay(pardon the slang) scenario then ponies going around in that scenario. I mean really.