Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who was the better voice of Derpy Hooves?

SaburoDaimando

The Voice of Derpy Hooves  

26 users have voted

1. 1. Who was the better voice of Derpy Hooves

• Tabitha St Germain
    • Grey DeLisle

This is a simple poll that I'm asking all of you Bronies.  You have two choices of Pony voices actresses.  Ironically, while one has done the voice officially, the other has done a fan voice.

Option 1) Tabitha St Germain: This is more based on her first take on Derpy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUVF6yyQNc

I dunno if she also voiced Derpy in the redub.

Option 2) Grey DeLisle: Done in the Fan Video "Epic RAGE Time."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZfEki4zUcM

Truth be told, I was surprised that they hired a SAG/AFTRA Voice Actress like Grey DeLisle for this.

Now it's your choice.  Tabitha St Germain or Grey DeLisle.  Who is the best voice of Derpy Hooves?

• Brohoof 1

Tabitha, easily. The other almost sounds....southern. Maybe that is just me. It just doesn't fit as well. Tabitha's makes her sound more dopey. Plus, I know the video is called 'Epic Rage Time', but her 'rage' voice was a bit....off I guess. It did not seem too Derpy-ish to me.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that Tabitha has the better voice of Derpy, because it is on the actual show and not in a fan animation. But, I'll give DeLisle some credit she is a talented voice actress and she used to be in a very popular cartoon on Cartoon Network.

Grey sounds terrible. That voice is just grating and awful.

Tabitha sounds, intentionally or not, like a stereotypical mentally-challenged person.

This is the best Derpy Hooves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l7Lw0pXPSU

I feel that Tabitha has the better voice of Derpy, because it is on the actual show and not in a fan animation. But, I'll give DeLisle some credit she is a talented voice actress and she used to be in a very popular cartoon on Cartoon Network.

What does being on the actual show have to do with which sounds better...?

Edited by Koelath
  • Brohoof 4

What does being on the actual show have to do with which sounds better...?

I'm not saying it does, I'm just comparing a episode from the show to a fan animation. Just my opinion, man. I just think that Tabitha sounds better.

I feel kind of bad saying this, seeing as how Germain's voice is technically canon (I think), but I'm sort of leaning towards DeLisle here. Germain's Derpy voice (which was done under the assumption she was a boy) seems a bit too dopey for me. It's cute and everything, but it isn't..."chipper" enough. At least with DeLisle, there's some form of range; the voice sounds consistent whether she's happy or angry. The voice is lost altogether in the middle of the video, but that's for comedic effect.

I don't think either are exactly the ideal Derpy voice (that would probably be this person), but out of the two of them, it's DeLisle for me.

I'm not saying it does, I'm just comparing a episode from the show to a fan animation. Just my opinion, man. I just think that Tabitha sounds better.

"I feel that Tabitha has the better voice of Derpy, because it is on the actual show"

Actually exactly what you were saying... tongue.pngtongue.png

I feel kind of bad saying this, seeing as how Germain's voice is technically canon (I think), but I'm sort of leaning towards DeLisle here. Germain's Derpy voice (which was done under the assumption she was a boy) seems a bit too dopey for me. It's cute and everything, but it isn't..."chipper" enough. At least with DeLisle, there's some form of range; the voice sounds consistent whether she's happy or angry. The voice is lost altogether in the middle of the video, but that's for comedic effect.

I don't think either are exactly the ideal Derpy voice (that would probably be this person), but out of the two of them, it's DeLisle for me.

Not sure I'd call DeLisle's "chipper"...She sounds too much like Vicky. laugh.png

I always said if Derpy ever got a voice, it should be BaldDumboRat...Nobody ever recognizes my genius. sad.png

Edited by Koelath

"I feel that Tabitha has the better voice of Derpy, because it is on the actual show"

Actually exactly what you were saying... tongue.pngtongue.png

I have been caught! :P Okay, I'm wrong. But, I like Tabitha over Grey because when you try to compare the two voices Tabitha's voice sounds a lot more like Derpy.

Neither, the one from the Save Derpy and Derpy Mail videos has the superior voice where she isn't too girly sounding but also not too dopey.

Tabitha: Too Girly

Grey: Too much like every other Grey DeLisle character

Ironically, Tabitha's take on Derpy assumed Derpy was a male character... :lol:

Grey's take is pretty much "I'm Grey DeLisle doing that voice that I always do!"...

• Brohoof 1

who ever did derpy in this fan clip was awesome ^^.  she sounds air headed but not retarded.  it comes off more kind hearted.

they even tackle the name in the 4th fan episode that ditzee is the real name but people troll her by calling her derpy.

I liked the original derpy's voice. I actually found how she spoke rather adorable and I have met people who talk like that, had nothing to do with them being 'retarded' (so f**k those who think it does) but with them just not being able to pronounce the words right, even when they were trying.

Ironically, Tabitha's take on Derpy assumed Derpy was a male character... :lol:

Grey's take is pretty much "I'm Grey DeLisle doing that voice that I always do!"...

Oh, my mistake. (I thought they were referring to the second official dub)

(Also I never knew that, no wonder it was so out of place.)

Like Tabitha's, myself. Not to step on anyone's hooves, but I don't see how her making Derpy sound like a "typical mentally challenged person" (which I don't think it sounds like at all, I'd describe it as 'dopey') is any more objectionable than the perfectly acceptable voice of a certain Ed-boy that no one seems to bat an eye at. No offense to Grey as a VA, but something about her performance doesn't sound quite as 'natural' to my ear as Tabitha's. But that's just me, yo.

Edited by Lowline

This is the best Derpy Hooves:

Neither, the one from the Save Derpy and Derpy Mail videos has the superior voice where she isn't too girly sounding but also not too dopey.

Well Greys is just annoying to me. And no offense but Tabithas just sounds like a stereotypical mentally challenged person to me. My favorite take on Derpys voice would be this. (Warning video is very depressing)

Well, as much as I love Tabitha's voice acting abilities.

And no offense to her or Grey DeLisle, but I actually prefer the fan voice from the 'Save Derpy' video.

If you're curious, that's BaldDumboRat, or PierceSmoulder, or Jitters (he has a lot of online names).  I have to agree, of all the dubs for Derpy, this is the one that I prefer.

As for the two that were mentioned, I honestly wasn't a fan of either...  It was pretty obvious that Tabitha thought she was voicing a male character, and Grey sounded like an angry elderly woman.  Other than Pierce's voice, I honestly think that the redubbed voice fits her the best.

Edited by ~Lawful Smurf~
  • Brohoof 1

Oh no doubt about it, definitely Tabitha St. Germain for me; always has and always will be!  Don't get me wrong, Grey DeLisle's rendition was lovely and hilarious, but Tabitha's was the original and to this day the only canon moment of Derpy actually speaking.  Plus, it just felt more natural, like it actually belonged to the character; DeLisle's voice sounded deliberately over-the-top, like the intended effect was comedy and only comedy.  I get that, seeing as it was a funny vid all around, but still, Tabitha St. Germain's Derpy voice will forever remain my go-to canon and fanon Derpy voice. derpy_emoticon1.png