Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people Hate Sombra but not the Windigos?

Mywas

That's the point, it takes away from a villain and makes them less scary when you want to root for them. There's a difference between a villain that truly scares you, and one that you just find creepy awesome. The devil himself even has the former effect because you know deep down it's a facade what's inside wants nothing more than to see you suffer for no other reason than you remind him of his own fall from grace. You know that the most horrible act of human depravity you can think of would bring him nothing but pleasure as it played out in front of him.   

Some of the most despicable tyrants our world has ever seen, are still people while reading about them, a ready might put himself in their shoes and just imagine.  Being relatable doesn't make someone any less terrifying.  it makes them more terrifying.

This could be the viewer.

And even your description of the devil being a spoiled brat, still is more compelling than sombre.  I don't mind sombre's rage,

we just never get a feel for it.  It makes him feel oafish.

Some of the most despicable tyrants our world has ever seen, are still people while reading about them, a ready might put himself in their shoes and just imagine.  Being relatable doesn't make someone any less terrifying.  it makes them more terrifying.

This could be the viewer.

And even your description of the devil being a spoiled brat, still is more compelling than sombre.  I don't mind sombre's rage,

we just never get a feel for it.  It makes him feel oafish.

I don't know, I like the concept of inducing fear with the unknown. I think it's a useful tool in horror to be able to do so. After all, the reason we fear the dark is because we don't what's in it. I think either way works. 

I don't know, I like the concept of inducing fear with the unknown. I think it's a useful tool in horror to be able to do so. After all, the reason we fear the dark is because we don't what's in it. I think either way works. 

Ever have someone screw with you but you didn't know why?

Do you know the default reason is if you don't know?  their jerks.

You can tell me that ufo's are from an advanced society that so advanced we'd never understand what their doing and I should be horribly terrified of this.

And I would turn around and say

It's likely some alien's kid taking their parents ufo for a joy ride so they can pull the wings of a fly for fun (namely us) because there's no reason any rational mind if it was that advanced would bother with us.

I've seen to many poorly done Horror movies to go with "but not knowing is more scary."

"ambiguity is true terror."

It's poor writing, it's b.s., and as george carling said it's bad for you.

What the bloody hell are Windigos?

*Fires up the Goog's*

Oh.

Ummm, I'm not sure if they're even remotely similar, one being a powerful unicorn king, and the other being this weird wind spirit. I haven't watched MLP in months, so I could be missing something.

Edited by Rinku

Ever have someone screw with you but you didn't know why?

Do you know the default reason is if you don't know?  their jerks.

You can tell me that ufo's are from an advanced society that so advanced we'd never understand what their doing and I should be horribly terrified of this.

And I would turn around and say

It's likely some alien's kid taking their parents ufo for a joy ride so they can pull the wings of a fly for fun (namely us) because there's no reason any rational mind if it was that advanced would bother with us.

I've seen to many poorly done Horror movies to go with "but not knowing is more scary."

"ambiguity is true terror."

It's poor writing, it's b.s., and as george carling said it's bad for you.

No it's not, in my experience it's more movies that do to much that are a sign of poor writing. Stuff with wall to wall gore and jump scares every five minutes because they don't know of any other way to instill fear. Not knowing creates paranoia. it let's your mind and imagination race and your personal answers to the questions end up being the ones that terrify you most because you created the horror yourself. 

I don't know. Surely Sombra could've shown up more often during the whole episode and gee the looming threat in the first part of the episode and then in the second part he could actually show himself and do some damage.

No it's not, in my experience it's more movies that do to much that are a sign of poor writing. Stuff with wall to wall gore and jump scares every five minutes because they don't know of any other way to instill fear. Not knowing creates paranoia. it let's your mind and imagination race and your personal answers to the questions end up being the ones that terrify you most because you created the horror yourself. 

you know i rarely ever agreed with ebert when he was alive but i recalled his review of the reboot of the hills have eyes and he was talking about the mutants saying "pity i would have liked to know more about that mutant."

And you know, I'm totally fine with that suggestion.  you can create answers, so long as those answers lead to more questions (Kinda like mlp, the best answer leads to 20 more questions).

You want an example of ambiguity being terrible?  Transformers 2 (yes i know it's not a horror movie)

"only a prime can stop the fallen."

Okay... that's neat but why?

I've seen enough bad HP love craft movies for you to tell me "but ambiguity is better."

Sombra would fit quite neatly into Daygon.

The Windigos weren't something we knew about until we saw Hearths Warming Eve, all we know about them is that they appear when there is a lot of hate. Sombra was basically made by bad writing, in which the way he was used was pretty underwhelming.

I love Sombra! He's my favourite villain.

I'd say windigos aren't getting as much flak because people just forgot about them. Sombra was the main villain of a two-parter so he got tons of attention, but windigos? Nobody cares.

• Brohoof 1

Sombra is what's known as a Premiere Villain. Those are the villains that are advertised and given large threat levels that relate to the characters and the plot in a large, in-depth way, in the premiere or ending of a season. The Windigoes, while cool and dangerous on their own, are nothing more than creatures (spirits) from the Everfree or beyond, that do something specific when pony civilizations are bickering. Even without the fact that Sombra was a let down for a lot of people for lack of lines and screen time, they are both very different kinds of threats. The Windigoes aren't even a villain, they're just creatures that happen to cause issues.

TL;DR there's no oil for the whiners to burn when it comes to the Windigoes, whilst Sombra is the fucking cliche Texas erupting oil rig.

Sombra's biggest issue was he was presented as a big baddie.

Yet he had no real dialog and any sort of back story presented about him was very weak.

Sure the same can be said of the wendigo's but they weren't hyped up quite like he was.

They're just "baddies" for the show. While Sombra is supposed to be akin to the likes of Discord and Chrysallis.

Sombra's biggest issue was he was presented as a big baddie.

Yet he had no real dialog and any sort of back story presented about him was very weak.

Sure the same can be said of the wendigo's but they weren't hyped up quite like he was.

They're just "baddies" for the show. While Sombra is supposed to be akin to the likes of Discord and Chrysallis.

Not every villains needs to speak or have a complex backstory. I could name a lot of villains who were the same: Darth Maul, Firelord Ozai(He spoke but not that much), Janemba, The Nothing.

Also Have anyone here ever heard of body laungue? I guess people who can't speak in real life and have to use signals are boring to hang out with as well

Not every villains needs to speak or have a complex backstory. I could name a lot of villains who were the same: Darth Maul, Firelord Ozai(He spoke but not that much), Janemba, The Nothing.

Also Have anyone here ever heard of body laungue? I guess people who can't speak in real life and have to use signals are boring to hang out with as well

That's the thing though. Even with all that you mentioned Sombra I felt was still lacking even with those taken into consideration.

For his reveal episode he sure didn't do very much. I'm not saying he was terrible but considering the other villains revealed before him his reveal surely was lacking. Which is why I hope he is expanded upon in either the comics or season 4. That way people like me can put him up with the best of them.

That's the thing though. Even with all that you mentioned Sombra I felt was still lacking even with those taken into consideration.

For his reveal episode he sure didn't do very much. I'm not saying he was terrible but considering the other villains revealed before him his reveal surely was lacking. Which is why I hope he is expanded upon in either the comics or season 4. That way people like me can put him up with the best of them.

Actually He did as much as What Nightmare Moon did in her reveal episode. If we take in account the stuff that he did in the past and the conflict that his traps did. Nightmare Moons biggest action was Making the night last forever(or should I say 5 minutes) and Breaking the elements of harmony which failed. Sombra Cursed an empire and its race, Defeated Shining Armor, and Nearly killed Spike. So Nightmare and Sombra did as much as each other in their episodes

Actually He did as much as What Nightmare Moon did in her reveal episode. If we take in account the stuff that he did in the past and the conflict that his traps did. Nightmare Moons biggest action was Making the night last forever(or should I say 5 minutes) and Breaking the elements of harmony which failed. Sombra Cursed an empire and its race, Defeated Shining Armor, and Nearly killed Spike. So Nightmare and Sombra did as much as each other in their episodes

Funny enough I though Nightmare Moon's reveal was weak as well.

That character was far more interesting when they brought her back for the comic series.

For me the only baddies that have had sufficent build up have been Chrysallis and Discord.

Regardless I don't find Sombra a bad villain just one I personally feel should be expanded upon.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

The trouble with sombra is that he's not developed like other villains,per example,Nightmare Moon was the bad side of luna,Discord was the former ruler of equestria,but...why Sombra does all that things,like slavery...or it was a good king at the beggining,and got corruped for a unknown source?.But let's recognize something,while the mane 6 fights other villains relentessly,sombra was the only villain who they couldn't fight until later on the crystal empire plot,due for his power.But seriously,if sombra had more development,it will be a remarkable villain to remember nowadays.