Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is It Possible The Princess's Don't Actually Raise The Sun And The Moon?

Denim&Venöm

One of my favorite scenes in the show.  :D

The problem with Celestia is that the things she does don't appear in the show because the show is about the Mane Six. She rules a country and teaches magic. Not unlike what you said.

She just lacks the development Luna had because of Sleepless in Ponyville and Luna Eclipsed. She also suffers from "the writers don't know how to deal with me". She gets used for the "Worf Effect", as a quest giver, moral support, but she NEVER does anything besides raise the sun and look pretty, beyond those. Until now, she doesn't seem to have any unique abilities, like Luna's "Dreamwalk".

Well, I hope we will see something that makes it worth for the ponies to keep her in power for so long besides "she must be a really good leader, most of the time".

well, when i say all huff and puff lets suppose she is a hustler.

I would liken that role to the great and powerful oz.

Oh my God could you imagine twilight having a break down when she found out she's basically been winging it this whole time and her mentor is just full of pure b.s?

I don't think she is,

but i mean ask yourself, would celestial have the stones to pull that off?

I would think so. 

Oh my God could you imagine twilight having a break down when she found out she's basically been winging it this whole time and her mentor is just full of pure b.s?

I don't think she is,

I would think so. 

Isn't that basically what all political leaders are though? It's all about talking a good game. It's not like they have to actually *do* anything.

Isn't that basically what all political leaders are though? It's all about talking a good game. It's not like they have to actually *do* anything.

well being a two bit Charlton wouldn't necessary make Celestail bad.

..... Grrrrrrr thank God no one reads my posts, i lost so much ammo right there.  She'd still be doing all her trickery for the greater good, much why i compared her to oz if that was the case.

What if celestail mearly had an artifact to raise the sun?  it would also explain how she was able to raise the moon in luna's absence.

hell her cutie mark could be an entire lie.

And on that day the CMC power grew to legendary heights.

..... Grrrrrrr thank God no one reads my posts, i lost so much ammo right there.

Oh, I read them. Storing them up to use them against you at some later date. ;)

Nah, but I do read them.

In any case, way back in Gen 1 My Little Pony 'n Friends, the Flutterponies did have an artifact that controlled the Sun called... wait for it... the Sunstone! Original, right? You can just sort of assume there was a matching Moonstone to go with it.

Not sure if the comics are counting in the canon officially or not, but they do have Luna and Celestia move the Moon in the second series, not only up, but closer to the planet so that the mane 6 can travel there by rope...

pretty odd situation no matter how its looked at, but My guess is their moon also doesn't affect the world in the same way. Otherwise doing such a thing would've ravaged the planet...

Oh, I read them. Storing them up to use them against you at some later date. ;)

Nah, but I do read them.

In any case, way back in Gen 1 My Little Pony 'n Friends, the Flutterponies did have an artifact that controlled the Sun called... wait for it... the Sunstone! Original, right? You can just sort of assume there was a matching Moonstone to go with it.

you know i recall back in another thread saying hasbro owned mlp and dnd and people were like "that doesn't matter."

when i was saying the burrow stuff from other things they own.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2427

O really?

(Mtg is a hasbro owned product).

hay i'm fine with a sun stone, can't be worse than the magic card LOL.

you know i recall back in another thread saying hasbro owned mlp and dnd and people were like "that doesn't matter." when i was saying the burrow stuff from other things they own.

Given that the Manticore, Basilisk, and Hydra seen in FiM are very specifically the D&D versions rather than the mythological ones, cross-pollination between Hasbro franchises is pretty likely.

However, Hasbro didn't own Magic the Gathering when that card was produced. Wizards of the Coast published the Ice Age expansion (from which that card was from) in 1994. Hasbro bought Wizards out in 1999.

Given that the Manticore, Basilisk, and Hydra seen in FiM are very specifically the D&D versions rather than the mythological ones, cross-pollination between Hasbro franchises is pretty likely.

However, Hasbro didn't own Magic the Gathering when that card was produced. Wizards of the Coast published the Ice Age expansion (from which that card was from) in 1994. Hasbro bought Wizards out in 1999.

Heh, lets not forget the in show... well movie... transformers sound FX :P

The comics have also done it outright with TF/MLP cross over moments and...

2625805_orig.jpg

(For those who may not know, thats the truck that is Optimus Prime from the more recent Transformers Movies)

As to the sun stone.. Not exactly a licensed item.. Its an actual thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunstone

And given that name, its likely easy fodder to add in as some sort of relic/religious item.

Edited by GrimCW

Heh, lets not forget the in show... well movie... transformers sound FX :P

The comics have also done it outright with TF/MLP cross over moments and...

2625805_orig.jpg

(For those who may not know, thats the truck that is Optimus Prime from the more recent Transformers Movies)

As to the sun stone.. Not exactly a licensed item.. Its an actual thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunstone

And given that name, its likely easy fodder to add in as some sort of relic/religious item.

Of course. That's why I mentioned the Moonstone, as that's also a real gemstone. As I said, nobody was really being that creative at the time. :)

Of course. That's why I mentioned the Moonstone, as that's also a real gemstone. As I said, nobody was really being that creative at the time. :)

I guess I missed a post :P

just saw a long discussion on the Sun Stone and the MTG card for it..

speaking of which, we need a thread for the upcoming MLP CCG.... 

I guess I missed a post :P

just saw a long discussion on the Sun Stone and the MTG card for it..

speaking of which, we need a thread for the upcoming MLP CCG.... 

Or my post messed up and didn't occur correctly, as I just looked back, and my posts seem to be missing bits. I've been having odd problems with the forum locking up on me every once in awhile. I think some of the ads are interacting with some of the browser plug-ins in weird ways.

Pretty sure they do, especially since the sun and moon both stopped midway when the princesses were captured in the season 4 premiere.

Also, I don't see any reason why celestia and luna would have those cutie marks if that's not what their special talent was.

Edited by crazitaco

No, they definitely are the ones that raise the sun and moon. If they weren't, it couldn't be day and night simultaneously in the first episodes of season four.

I'm actually curious about that...

If it weren't for the round globe in Twilight's house, I would assume that the world of MLP is actually classically flat like you see in old mythologies. Like when one of the celestial bodies is gone, it's actually traveling through Tartarus below the horizon.

But no, their planet is round.

But then I wonder, if the princesses control day and night for the whole planet, why did the moon and sun happen to freeze over Equestria when they were taken? Was it because that's just were they live?

I'm more confused about how they had the orbs rise and set on the same horizon at the end of the premiere. But then AGAIN, in the comics, Celestia and Luna straight up PULL THE MOON OUT OF THE SKY WITH MAGIC AND AN ENCHANTED ROPE. And all the characters then climb up the rope or fly toward it and land on it. And it was really big, but not nearly as big as our moon compared to our planet. And it had no adverse effects when coming that close (like rising the tides to high that everyone drowned).

So what I'm going with for now is that the planet they all live on is a round, isolated planet, and the "sun" and "moon" are similarly sized orbs that glow at different intensities, whose orbit the princesses can control at will.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think she is,

I would think so. 

Dude, in a world where Celestia is "hustlin'", Twilight is probably enslaving ponies to make more canes.

Dude, in a world where Celestia is "hustlin'", Twilight is probably enslaving ponies to make more canes.

hustling isn't evil.

look at crunkle stann from gravity falls.

he's not evil. 

he is how ever shifty.

While theres always that possiblity i guess, really the evidence is stacked against it.

Not only has Luna and Celestia raised the sun and moon several times before, and they even take time to do so, but then in Heartswarming eve the Unicorns were required for the raising and lowering of the sun and moon.

Not to mention i don't think Celestia and Luna are like that.

nor would it make sense how Luna raised the moon in the S4 flashback and became nightmare moon. And how Celestia was worried enough to banish her.

Theres just to much evidence that it'd have to be one heck of an act.

• Brohoof 1

While theres always that possiblity i guess, really the evidence is stacked against it.

Not only has Luna and Celestia raised the sun and moon several times before, and they even take time to do so, but then in Heartswarming eve the Unicorns were required for the raising and lowering of the sun and moon.

Not to mention i don't think Celestia and Luna are like that.

nor would it make sense how Luna raised the moon in the S4 flashback and became nightmare moon. And how Celestia was worried enough to banish her.

Theres just to much evidence that it'd have to be one heck of an act.

They merely control the planet's orbit.

Luna controls the moon, Celestia the planet's orbit.

Of course they move the sun, the moon and the stars... why the heck would they lie about such a thing? It's a children's show...

the wizard of oz wasn't for kids?  I feel i'm on point by bringing that up because it's exactly on point if they were lying.

Luna controls the moon, Celestia the planet's orbit.

Well, then it wouldn't make a ton of sense why they'd even bother lieing if technically they can control the sun and moon, if not indirectly. 

If Celestia can control the planet's orbit then i dunno why it'd be a huge stretch to control the sun, and if not its essentially similar. 

Plus Luna can control the moon, so it just doesn't make sense why they'd even bother lieing for at that point.

And again it just doesn't seem like them anyways to me.

But i guess its all theories really, your free to believe whatever headcannon you choose :D.

If the princesses could only control the tilt of the planet they live on and not the sun and moon then it would be impossible for the two celestial bodies to instantly be placed in alignment. They do control both of them and I am not sure why some doubt that.