Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fantastic Teachers

Troblems

Champion RD92 started a topic this morning about crappy teachers. We've all had them, but I want to know about the good ones.

Personally, I had two, the first in high school, my senior English teacher. I was doing ridiculously well in his class, when he assigned a book review. We were allowed to choose any book, so long as he approved it. Based on a recommendation from an ex boyfriend, I chose A Clockwork Orange. I hated it. HATED. The assignment was due in two weeks, and after completing the book, I asked if I could switch. He asked why I wanted to switch. I told him I couldn't stand the book. I understood where the author was coming from, but it made me intensely uncomfortable. He said I couldn't switch. I told him I could finish another book in time. He said he knew that, and still said no, because he knew this book would challenge me. He was right, and I got a C-. But he did challenge me, which was rare in high school.

My other one was last semester, I have dyscalculia, which is the math form of dyslexia. I had already flunked Trig twice, so had changed my major, and was now taking the lowest math possible to get a non science degree. The teacher wasn't great. He was old and decrepit, and often confused himself, which confused me tenfold. I was doing generally poorly in the class, and decided not to take the final, because there was no reason, I was going to flunk the class if I didn't pass the final, which I also was not going to pass. I had a decent rapport with the teacher, and had told him about my struggles. I failed the final, but he still gave me a pity pass of a C, and I'm now finished with math for college. Huzzah!

I've had a few really good teachers.

I'm in ones class right now.(Catch up day) He's sponsoring the number sense team, and he's really relaxed and chill, but you still learn from him in class. Like, he doesn't talk to you like he's above you, but he's also still a teacher. Make sense? :D

Then, I had my algebra teacher freshman year, who always let me go into her class anytime to just hang out.

When it comes to skill as a teacher though, it's my US History teacher. You learn from him very easily, he's demanding and makes you work, but he's not strict, and he's very fair with grading; he'd just as soon fail a cheerleader or football player as quick as he would someone else who didn't do their work.

During my senior year of High School, they implemented a new english course you could take rather than the generic classes that would fulfill that requirement, which was called Fantasy and Sci-fi.

The whole class was one of the best classes I have ever taken in my life, and was made even better by my fantastic teacher, Mr. B, who made everyday an enjoyable one. Aside from my cooking classes, it was probably the only class I was actually excited for. He engaged everyone, and made learning a process that didn't have to be dulled down by handouts and power-points. We read classic stories from both genres, had a few days of us bringing in video games of fantasy and sci-fi, and had an amazing final project where we had to pretend we were newscasters while aliens touched down on Earth.

It really only takes one great teacher to turn any subject into an enjoyable one. If I had the same level of enthusiasm and confidence for that class as say, Math or Physics, who knows what would have happened.

My old gym teacher in elementary school, showed me how to play every sport possible and I remembered that she challenged me to the highest degree I was able to succeed in each sport. What a great teacher!

All of my current teachers are extremely nice. Some days I dont show up to school because of my social anxiety. The teachers wont register me as absent if I do my work at home and send it to them. I consider myself extremely lucky to have the teachers I have.

The best teacher I ever had was my Math Teacher. His ability to teach was hilarious and fun. He also a lot of times ridiculed the school system!

Then my 8th grade English teacher was also amazing. I loved his lessons and how he tried to introduce us in writing short stories.

we used to be friends with teachers... the last high school year we just called them with theyr names!... i love the high school... i would like to do it again... so nice...

My best teacher was my class teacher (who also took me for maths) in year 10 and 11. She figured out very quickly that it is futile to try and teach me directly, but rather to get me to teach myself. Of course, I have had many excellent teachers.

They don't get paid enough.

• Brohoof 1

My best teacher was my class teacher (who also took me for maths) in year 10 and 11. She figured out very quickly that it is futile to try and teach me directly, but rather to get me to teach myself. Of course, I have had many excellent teachers.

They don't get paid enough.

I agree that they don't get paid enough. Education is important and as such, the teachers should be paid well to pass on the knowledge that humanity has gathered.... Unless you are a professor. :P
  • Brohoof 1

There have been quite a few teachers I've liked, either due to candy bribes or being good at taking a joke, but the only one that's really excelled is my tutor. I was lagging behind in a CS class because I'm a slower, concrete, hands-on, A-B-C 1-2-3 learner in a quick, verbal, nonlinear, abstract classroom right now, so I asked a computer engineer I know from online gaming for some help on the side. I'm currently more at ease with the material than most, more confident when speaking up, and tend to be ahead.

• Brohoof 1

My best teacher would have to be my Math teacher that I had in grades 10, and 11. He's a great teacher, and he makes class actually enjoyable. He has a great sense of humor, and he tells the most random, hilarious stories at the most random times.

My best teacher would have to be my current Physics teacher.  He is just so awesome; he's a really nice guy and always says hello to me no matter were I am.  His class is actually fun and I look forward to being in his class everyday, and finally he is always willing to re-explain something if you don't quite get.  All together, a really awesome teacher.  

Hmm... this is actually troubling for me. I have to pick three, one isn't enough!

I had these two teachers from grade 6-8 that were married to eachother (and coincidentally the son and step-daughter of the principal.) They were both great people that really cared personally about their students, they introduced me to George Orwell's works outside of class and were responsible for my enjoyment of Shakespeare.

They took a select few of my class to see a play in Stratford Ontario on the Merchant of Venice. I still go there around every year depending on what's playing. I also go back to my old school every so often to check in on how they're doing.

My last best teacher is someone I had last year that taught me math. He succeeded in teaching me what I couldn't learn in high school. He's an architect that eventually went on to teaching an architecture program, but he teaches a math course as well for students that want to enter an engineering field. As a professional, this guy was the best teacher I ever had; he was always clear and concise without being cold, worked with the class to solve useful examples on a new topic and appeared genuinely interested in the content he was teaching.

Edited by Celtore

Okay, in the 12th grade, both my physics and math teachers were exceptionally awesome!

On some days, we would play this game called math dice. Whoever could get to the number using various methods earns fake money known as "parr bucks". Here comes the best part: With these parr bucks, we could redeem them to raise the grade of quizzes or tests we just took! :D Because of this, I got a B in calculus!

My physics teacher, was a Star Wars fanatic. He could even do a perfect impression of Darth Vader! He also let me retake a test, which I failed to save me from having to take that dreaded final exam! 

Oh those high school senior days...

I've been blessed with having all good teachers except one that I can think of. However, only a few really stand out.

Middle school math teacher. Easily the strictest teacher I have ever had, and likely ever will. But, that strictness forced me to pay close attention, and eventually, I understood everything she had us do. For the first time in my life, math clicked with me. And it's not been too much of a problem ever since.

Senior Economics teacher. This guy. Just THIS GUY. He loved what he did. He knew Econ like it was one of his own children (and occasionally treated the subject that way). But he was fun. Easily the funnest teacher I had throughout high school. I enjoyed going to his class, no matter how strict he was about it. 

Any science teacher I have ever had. I will always argue that the number one thing that makes a teacher great is passion. If the teacher doesn't care, the students won't care either. Fortunately, science is a subject where nearly anyone that goes into it absolutely loves it. Doesn't matter if it was geology, astronomy, biology, chemistry, or physics. Every single one had a passion for what they taught, which made the class much more enjoyable and educational. It makes me sad for the poor souls who get the "meh" teachers. blush.png

I've had a lot of really good teachers. Very few I don't/didn't like. 

But just to say a few, I'll name out my Honors English teacher, my Algebra teacher, and my band director. 

My English teacher was in the Marines, and he read us some of his book that he wrote while he was in surgery. Each week we seem to learn something new about him, and we talk a lot while we have time to work on our homework in class. He's really funny, and he doesn't mind if we accidentally slip out a swear word. He swears in class sometimes (Not at us, just to describe something) and he goes with the flow. He doesn't mind if we don't get through everything and he always comes up with fantastic new activities for us. 

My Algebra teacher is really nice and he lets me work ahead of everyone else because I catch onto the material very quickly. 

My band director helped calm me down after a MAJOR panic attack during an audition. (It was one-on-one and I REALLY panicked.) He calmed me down, and I was able to do the audition later on in the day. 

Two come to mind (same as the other thread :P)

The first was a love hate friendship we had ^^ in the class room we'd argue at length because I didn't agree with what we were studying or how it was at all relevant to ANYTHING and generally be at each others throats but outside of the class we were best friends and bounced off each other like I would any other student :D She was easily one of the best teachers I had

The next was the whole reason I graduated. If I think I can't do something I'm prone to get pessemistic and give up VERY quickly but every time I did this one teacher would pick me up brush me off and keep pushing me to finish school and he did this for 5 years straight constantly trying to keep me going. I gave up and was ready to drop out but after a lengthy and very heart to heart discussion I stayed and he continued to push till I passed.....granted it was by the skin of my teeth >.> I was SO close to failing after all that I had missed when I gave up but his last few pushes got me through and now I'm graduated he is one of my closest friends :)

Currently I have the best English teacher in the school honestly. She's nice, but she knows when to be strict when she needs to, she teaches excellently, and thanks to her, I'm enjoying English a lot more than I used to and I'm getting higher grades (I got an A in my last speaking and listening assessment :D)

Plus, she's a great conversationalist and she's really empathetic, seriously she's the best :')

One of my two favorite teachers I am in classes with currently so I'll start with the other. He was my 7th grade Algebra teacher. He was a genius, he was crazy, he was always in a good mood. Just 100% awesomeness. My other favorite teacher is my 9th grade civics teacher. The guy is completely and utterly crazy, his lectures are amazing and he always goes out of his way to talk about interesting things instead of focusing on the boring stuff.

My favorite teacher ever was this one homeroom assistant I had in junior high. Not only was she really helpful with me when it came to school but she was pretty much my bestfriend too. I told her all about my day, interests, and she liked having me tell her about new episodes of my favorite shows and game achievements. We also had this notebook we did RPs in, she really liked my characters. Man, I really miss her.

My other favorite teacher would be my high school English teacher. She inspired me to work hard and taught me many things. 

I pretty much loved all of my teachers [mostly] from high school but she was really important to me, especially since I was really interested in writing.