Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Star-spiders: Why does their reputation precede them?

JonPear

Just to clarify: In the Castle Mane-ia episode, just before we hear the opening theme, we see these spiders that have stars on them, and we see Spike trembling in fear of them. Later, when we see Rarity and Fluttershy approaching the castle, Fluttershy says "Don't you think it's a little late in the day to be walking through the forest? It is star-spider season, after all." We can easily infer that these "star-spiders" that Fluttershy is referring to are the spiders with stars on them that made Spike so uneasy.

One has to wonder: How have star-spiders earned a reputation that makes Spike, Fluttershy, and possibly others so wary of them? Do they bite? Do they lure hungry Ursa-majors and Ursa-minors out of their caves to come and eat them, so that you have lots of hungry Ursa-majors and Ursa-minors roaming around the forest? These are the best theories I've managed to come up with so far. What are your theories?

post-21207-0-12258400-1385922083_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

One has to wonder: How have star-spiders earned a reputation that makes Spike, Fluttershy, and possibly others so wary of them? Do they bite? Do they lure hungry Ursa-majors and Ursa-minors out of their caves to come and eat them, so that you have lots of hungry Ursa-majors and Ursa-minors roaming around the forest? These are the best theories I've managed to come up with so far. What are your theories?

Hah, I haven't heard the Ursa Major theory yet. That's pretty good.

If they decide to expand upon this idea, I wouldn't be opposed to it. We've already gotten a glimpse of something shadowy in the castle, so there's obviously something still lingering about that needs to be explained. They could tack this on somewhere in the middle as well.

The writers could do a number of things with it - magic stealing arachnids, sleep inducing arachnids, spiders that can change size...there's all sorts of things one could do to make spiders even more unapproachable. :P

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

My theory is the star spiders hide out in damp caves where Ursa Majors are present in the Everfree Forest, and they rarely appear in abandoned castles such as Celestia and Luna's old castle. This could be explained along the way.

• Brohoof 1

The writers could do a number of things with it - magic stealing arachnids, sleep inducing arachnids, spiders that can change size...there's all sorts of things one could do to make spiders even more unapproachable. :P

Wow, I didn't even think of those possibilities :o

Wow, I didn't even think of those possibilities :o

Oh yeah, just do something like sleep-inducing-arachnids that can only be seen when in certain lighting conditions (such as starlight). In other words: invisible sleep spiders. Just sit there and imagine that scene...a spider the size of your hand crawling on you and you can't even see it. There's no limit to the possibilities... :D

Edited by CloudFyre
  • Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, just do something like sleep-inducing-arachnids that can only be seen when in certain lighting conditions (such as starlight). In other words: invisible sleep spiders. Just sit there and imagine that scene...a spider the size of your hand crawling on you and you can't even see it. There's no limit to the possibilities... :D

. . . I'm cringing just thinking about it . . .

• Brohoof 2

I think they're ADORABLE!!

I saw the ones by Spike I went, "Aww, star spider!!"

And then I squee'd when Fluttershy actually called them "star spiders". XDD

Kinda makesme want to create a bug enthusiast pony just so she can have one.

Or have Luna keep one as a pet. But only if they are proven to just be typical spiders (though admittedly, nothing in Everfree Forest is typical).

It's POSSIBLE that they will be brought up again later, and if they are I will be really impressed. I haven't seen MLP do that yet: mention something totally off hand, ignore it for the rest of the episode and bring it back later.

So yeah, like them. They're cute.

But then I looked up what a real star spider looks like:

800px-Gasteracantha_cancriformis_2.jpg

Yikes...  :blink:

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 5

The symbols on their skin suggest that they glow in the dark. My guess is that everyone/everypony who lives in ponyville isn't particularly fond of spiders, and thus the fact that they glow makes them more apparent in the dark, and thus it must be more unnerving to be in an environment where you can clearly see where all the spiders are.....well, that's just my theory.

• Brohoof 1

I was confused when Fluttershy suggested that the presence of star spiders is a reason to beware, considering she loves all animals including the creepy ones. Then I thought maybe the reason she thinks it's a bad idea to be out during star spider season is that she's afraid for the spiders, rather than afraid of them. Maybe she just doesn't want to risk stepping on one at a time when they're out in such great numbers.

• Brohoof 3

Normally spiders don't bother me, but that looks freaking nasty.

Yeah, it's a little unnerving.

I think for me it mostly the shape. It doesn't really look like a spider.

It looks like a poisonous, painted ninja spike that sprouted legs.

But to calm our nerves, here's a cute little jumping spider wearing a water droplet as a hat:

jumping_spider_by_mrmustashe-d62ruyz.jpg

Rarity would approve!!  :D

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Yeah, it's a little unnerving.

I think for me it mostly the shape. It doesn't really look like a spider.

It looks like a poisonous, painted ninja spike that sprouted legs.

But to calm our nerves, here's a cute little jumping spider wearing a water droplet as a hat:

jumping_spider_by_mrmustashe-d62ruyz.jpg

Rarity would approve!!  :D

Rarity would approve? Rarity would see that creepy-crawly and faint!

Edited by JonPear
  • Brohoof 2

Well for now, it seems they're just spiders, but with stars on them. I don't know if there's anything else special about them though, perhaps we'll see more of them later in the season, ot perhaps not. :huh:

Or have Luna keep one as a pet. But only if they are proven to just be typical spiders (though admittedly, nothing in Everfree Forest is typical).

It's POSSIBLE that they will be brought up again later, and if they are I will be really impressed. I haven't seen MLP do that yet: mention something totally off hand, ignore it for the rest of the episode and bring it back later.

800px-Gasteracantha_cancriformis_2.jpg

Yikes... :blink:

Oh, uh, oh my... :blink:

I wonder if they knew these were real spiders when designing them for this episode, and that they were this ugly... :o

• Brohoof 3

Until I saw this topic, I'd forgotten completely about the Star Spiders :P

But, I guess a fear of spiders is pretty common in our world, especially the ones like Brown recluses and Black widows.

I guess that it's the same way in Equestria, too :blink: Star Spiders are like their Brown Recluses and/or Black Widows.

Best explanation I can come up with. *shrugs*

• Brohoof 1

they're like Equestria's version of wolf spiders. big, not fun to have around, and they have a season where you see them more often. which i believe is right now since it's cooling off so they are searching for warmer homes. like yours :)

I don't think they're 'harmless', because Fluttershy's statement makes it seem like there's obviously -something- about them that one should avoid. Fluttershy scares over everything, so she may have just been referring to the fact that there was going to be lots of them around, but still. I'd like to think that there's something more to them, and I'd hope it's something magic-related or something else creative like the Usra Major theories mentioned so far, instead of, 'Oh, they're poisonous.'

img-2056620-1-800px-Gasteracantha_cancri

Yikes...  :blink:

I thought regular spiders were scary... but this...

Oh dear...

Anyways, the spiders are probaly poisonous or something. Or else they just populate the place alot and look intimidating.

It does seem kinda odd how Fluttershy says this, considering how fond of animals she seems, so something must be up about them, or else shes showing concern for Rarity more then herself, maybe its Rarity being scared of those things more then her.

Who knows, all kinds of theories are possible i guess.

Ones things for sure, i'm not to fond of Spiders ;p.

• Brohoof 1