Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog?

~Sugar Sprinkles~

46 users have voted

1. 1. Sonic or Mario?

• Sonic
    • Mario

I'm gonna have to go with Mario on this one. Sonic used to be pretty fun, but the new generation of Sonic games just aren't my cup of tea. Mario games are still pretty fun to play time and time again to kill time and are a bit more my style of game.

• Brohoof 1

While I like Sonic, Mario wins hands down! He's an Italian plumber with a loveable character and, did I mention that he's Italian? How can you beat Mario? Super Mario 64 was my first game ever, and made him my favourite video game character ever!

(edited)

Let's see...Mario vs. Sonic....

Mario has about 10 times as many games related to him than Sonic does...

Mario has been around since 1985 and still is pretty popular for his games, while Sonic has not seen the light of day until 1991, though he still is somewhat known, but not for his games, but the Sonic Fans, their countless shippings and Fanfics.

I like Mario better in Brawl than Sonic.

While i don't dislike Sonic (The original Games on Sega genesis were fun to play) I guess overall, Mario wins.

Edited by coolwar13@yahoo.de

This is mainly due to upbringing but Mario.

I played SMB 3 on gba (don't know how far I got) super mario land 2 and I completed NSMB Wii with my brother.

It's just a simpler game with not much needed from it with many intriguing level designs. (I know sonic has it but Mario does it better.)

Sonic's always been my buddy. I grew up with the SNES and PS1, but as soon as I got my hands on a Genesis controller and popped in a brand spanking new copy of Sonic 1, I was instantly hooked. This was one of the best platforming games I've ever played. It's just very exciting, and the layouts never get old. There's so many paths you can take, and getting the Emeralds was always a fun challenge (especially loved the Sonic 2 Half Pipe challenge, wow!)

I also did grow up with Mario but I really only found SMB3 and SMW to be worthy of instant classics. The first one to me seems really dated, The Lost Levels has a repetitive nature, and SMB2USA radically changed the formula to which I didn't like. Then don't get me started on the NSMB franchise; lemme just say that I don't care for them at all lol.

True, we may have had Sonic 06, but as long as current games like Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations come out, I'm perfectly okay with the direction Sega's taking their blue daredevil.

• 3 months later...

I like Sonic but, the Mario games I grew up with were pretty unique and fun when I used to play them on the old Nintendo consoles. So, whichever one is your cup of tea.

I say that mario is the best. he is a simple man, but gets loads of power-ups to help him do whatever he needs to. plus, he was the first of the two i ever played a game for, so i kinda have to choose him anyway i feel.

Going by both the quality of the main series of both franchises and the spin-offs, Mario takes the cake

The main series has been consistant in high quality while the Sonic games started going down hill after Sonic Heroes and didn't pick up until Sonic Colors. And Mario has had better spin-offs(Super Mario RPG anyone?) while it's still hard for me to remember any good Sonic spinoffs except for probably Sonic and Sega All-stars Racing(which I'm not sure it counts)

Even as characters go, Mario is never really annoying while sometimes they try too hard to make Sonic cool

Edited by Megas75

I definitely have a preference for the Sonic series. I just find Mario boring in general, and as of late they haven't changed the formula for Mario AT ALL. Case and point: New Super Mario Bros.

Sonic did have quite a crappy run while trying to find its way in the 3D games, but as of Colors the series has settled on a route that makes sense and is quite fun. Plus, during that time there were still the handheld entries in the series which were excellent games, with the Advance series sometimes being compared to the original trilogy in terms of quality. Plus, if you ask me, Sonic has always had the more interesting premise.

Mario to me has always been, "Giant turtle stole the princess. Save princess.". None of the characters really have any personality, except in the RPG's (I have not been able to play those but I am going to assume they do such a thing based off of the hype surrounding them). Sonic, ever since the Adventure series has had better characters. Even if we have the horrifying stories like those of Heroes, 2006, and Shadow we still have some mildly interesting ones like Colors and Generations. Besides, Robotnik is a far better villain than Bowser. When Bowser has humorous dialogue then I'll be ready to contest this statement. 
Sonic definitely had a crappy one, but it's better than making the exact same game over and over (note I am only including main entries in the series and ignoring spin-offs such as Mario Party, Mario Kart, Sonic and All-Stars Racing, those things...)