Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which is more important, money or happiness?

Fluttershy Guy

I hate my job, but I'm making decent money and really not working all that hard. Problem is my Boss treats me like a Slave and with total disrespect. I HATE her. I also get no time off and no sick days. Should I pursue another career even though I may have to work longer hours for less pay? Which is really more important, money or happiness??

OMG man, you can't even imagine how much I understand you!!! I had totally same situation few weeks ago. Boss treated me like a slave, I hate her, and I deside to leave I said "Oh you want that I'm do everything isntead you? You know what? Fuck that, I'm done, I'm a PERSON, I'm not a goddamn slave. Do it by yourself, and learn to respect people. Good luck" She didn't pay to me only 40% for last month, And I don't giving a f***k about this money. I'm happy now, and I proud myself. Some people thinks that if they had high social status then they can do everything with everyone.

Well about the question: obviously happiness! You can be rich as a hell and not be happy, and you can be poor but happy.

Edited by zev_zev

Definitely happiness. True happiness doesn't stem from money, but from various other things.

But you need money too get those various different things. Really the prices varies from the store and will the amount you get depend on the job. So really without money you can't the things that make you happy. So they both work together, As I said the government really controls money, and well they are suppose to protect your happiness (depending on the government) and sometimes the government will have you pay a very heavy price on money and happiness.

Having had lost my job a few months back has put this into perspective for me. I think the answer that everyone wants to hear is "Happiness, of course!" However, it's not that obvious an answer.

My job of the past 3 years was shit. My boss was a horrible person who treated all his workers like robots and broke the law and screwed us over in order to make himself more money. The state of the company, paying people an honest wage and what they deserve, following labor laws, none of this mattered. He just wanted money for himself. So while the rest of us are scraping the bottom of the barrel every month, he'd come by in his fucking Prius and play on his fucking android phone in front of us all.

I don't feel like getting too much into the story, but basically, he got rid of me because I chose to challenge this and demanded that he give back money that he wrongfully took from me in direct violation with the law, which I faxed to him. He made excuses (the worst I've ever heard in my life) for not renewing my contract, but I knew what was up.

So until, literally, yesterday, I didn't have a job. On the one hand, it was a huge relief to be out of that clearly abusive situation. I was glad not to have to go back there anymore. At least, for the fact that I didn't have to see my boss. However, I was very sad to leave my students. I liked them and most of them liked me. And I knew I was good at what I was doing. So it was a total slap in the face not to be renewed for such a petty reason.

Being out of a job, however, meant no income. No income meant I couldn't really do anything. I didn't travel for any reason outside of finding a job, I couldn't buy things that I really wanted, I basically couldn't do anything. The stress of having to ration my money has been very heavy during this time. It still is, in fact. While I have a job, now, it's gonna be a while before I get paid. And my parents decided to help me out a bit with this, but I've had issues with my debit card and need a new one, which won't be coming for at least a week. I'm at the very, very end of my savings right now, so I can't be at ease until I get that card.

People say that money doesn't equal happiness. I suppose that's true. If you look at all of the people who happen into sudden fortune and still remain unhappy, I guess that would be a good example of that. However, I would look at it more like this: Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but financial burden guarantees unhappiness. And I think this is in varying degrees. Some people can live on relatively low wages and still be okay. That is, if they're able to pay for everything with a little wiggle room. If you're to the point where you have to save every coupon you see, if you're to the point where you're buying foods you don't even like just because they're cheaper, if you're to the point where you're constantly worried whether or not you're going to have enough to pay the bills, you are not happy. Being in financial struggle can be very stressful and nothing good comes of it.

So I'd say that money is a little more important than happiness. Having money may or may not make you happy, but not having enough money is a surefire way to make you unhappy.

Now, getting into the OP, does that mean you should forego your happiness in order to make money? Well, that depends on your situation. My first two jobs weren't very good. I worked as a cashier at Wendy's and also as a dog walker/trainer at a dog daycare center. Both were incredibly stressful and I got treated like total crap. At Wendy's, the store I was working at closed and the new store I worked at was total crap. I worked there a total of two times before I decided I just didn't want to be there anymore. At the dog daycare center, they screwed me out of $50 that they would never own up to. That was the last straw, and I started looking for new work from then on, which I found rather quickly. However, during this time, I was living at home with my parents. Meaning I didn't have to be employed to be able to eat, live in a house or have utilities. My parents covered that. My most recent place of employment took way, way more than $50 from me. More like $8500. However, living on my own, needing to pay my own bills and, well, for basically everything I need, I was not in a position to frivolously quit my job just because I didn't like it and I was being treated unfairly. I was extremely unhappy there, but unfortunately, there was nothing I could really do about it. Basically, there were two possible options for me: stay at the job and be miserable or lose my job and be equally as miserable. I thought that being miserable in the comfort of my own warm home and an full belly sounded way better than being miserable because I'd lost my home, couldn't pay for groceries, couldn't pay for warm water or electricity or because I'd have to pack up everything and move back home with my parents because I couldn't support myself.

Now, because I was smart and kinda had an inkling that this might happen, I saved up a bunch of money before this all went down. I've been out of a job for about 4 months, and had the government not decided to kick me while I'm down with ridiculous fees for I don't even know what the hell, I'd still have $1000 dollars to utilize at this point. My partner covering most expenses really kept us afloat as well. However, had I not had that money saved up to cushion us, we'd be in a lot of trouble. While I wasn't particularly happy during this time, I was rather relaxed. However, I don't think I could say the same if either I didn't have a significant other or if I hadn't saved up any money. I would probably be equally as worried and miserable as I ever was.

People often view pursuits of money or love of money as greedy and corrupt. While some people get like that, in the society we've built, it's only natural to want money. Knowing firsthand what a lack of money does to your life, I think anyone who would view appreciation of money negatively has never been without it and I feel that this view is very simplistic and narrow-minded. People love to make stories where the characters find out that money isn't everything. While that's true and emotional connections and relationships with people are important, that doesn't diminish the importance of money. Like it or not, money is a very important part of life. It is a necessity. There's no reason to vilify someone who would strive to attain money or rank it as one of the most important things in their life.

Anyway, attempting to answer the OP (again... heh heh...) If you feel you're in a position to quit, then quit. Like I said before, not having a job where I was constantly demeaned and dehumanized really did cut down my stress tons. Not being exposed to stressful stimuli such as a job of that nature can be great for your well-being. However, if you're the chief or sole provider for your way of life, sad to say, you don't really have much of a choice but to stay. I think that searching for a new job would be beneficial, but it's not worth it to quit before you find another job you can switch to. So this all depends on what role your job plays in your life. You should analyze that and decide from there.

Edited by Clover Heart
  • Brohoof 2

Bit of both really, to me both are equally important. If you dislike your job and you believe you can find a career you'd like better then do so but only if said career is better and you could manage.

To me money is more important and it seems like happiness can come and go. The same with money, so it's about living in the moment. I think happiness is to have some stability which is why I think money is more important then happiness because happiness can be unstable.

People say that money does not buy happiness. And generally it is true, because true love, friendship does not rely on money. But other things do. Food requires money, bills require money, taxes, clothes... There isn't one "ultimate" answer as both - love, friendship, emotional connection to someone in general and things like food are needed in life equally. So my answer is - there is no "more important thing". Both are equally important. 

Money? Kind of delirious to think money are worth anything. It's just a resource. 

And posters above miss the point entirely, it's not about "all-or-nothing". It's a question whether extra money worth being abused.

And it depends. If you have some big project, business or anything that needs investments in mind - you can make the tradeoff, since it might bring more of said happiness in the long run, but only if you actually getting resources you need for your venture (it may be not only money, but experience, connections, etc)

If not, and you spend all the excess money for buying crap - it's not worth it.  

Nobody lives forever, and.. well.. "it's just a ride"

So.. this ride is better when it brings happiness rather than misery  ;)

A lot of good comments. I honestly feel better just having posted. Sometimes it's hard to take advice from close friends and sometimes it's hard for me to even have serious discussions with my friends. I've decided to take Massage therapy classes this Spring and at least have something to fall back on. To Emperor Peter, while I can't begin to understand PTSD, I'm here for ya if you ever need to chat, man.

I dont think money can buy happiness, I know very many people who feel depressed and just have a miserable life even though they live fairly well.

I do think that money can help make it easier to be happy though. 

• 1 month later...

The problem with this question is our modern society

The world is fueled by money and without it, we generally can't survive

Ergo we need money for happiness, which is a pitiful way to have to live

Well.....money is what makes the world go around, however, I would take money, but I would never put that over happiness.........b/c that could lead to greed.

if you hate your job, you shouldn't be doing it. 

really, the most important thing about a job is that you do something that you like! if you work a job you like, you'll work harder, climb up faster and make more money respectively.

tough with this economy and job market...

May have to lie about your qualifications every now and then for "the greater good."