Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Boy Bullied for Being a Brony Attempts to Take Own Life

ReverseFaller

@@Shoboni is right. If you punch someone in the face in retaliation, no matter the circumstances, no matter if they deserved it; you're becoming a bully yourself. There are better ways to punish a kid. Taking their special privileges away after having a long talk with them is an especially effective method.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shoboni is right. If you punch someone in the face in retaliation, no matter the circumstances, no matter if they deserved it; you're becoming a bully yourself. There are better ways to punish a kid. Taking their special privileges away after having a long talk with them is an especially effective method.

Retaliating against a guilty party =/= terrorizing an innocent bystander.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have a bank account but I sure as hell would've donated. Haters and "Anti-Bronies" are arrogant, pathetic, lifeless creatures who need to take a hint and understand that not everybody should be the same. The bullies were probably hard core xboxers who think they are the Aryan race and everybody should abide by what they like. Maybe Michael didn't want to be the same as them, maybe he wanted to be different so therefore he chose MLP and the Brony community. It sure is sick what mindless little kids can do to someone who's not like them. I was bullied in school for having autism, got called things like "retard", and "window licker", but I didn't let it get to me. Bullies are nothing but self centered pricks without a soul, same goes for haters and people who think they are "Aryan".

You have to remember, if we sink to the level of people like this we make ourselves no better than them. 

The difference is that I'd only be punching them in the face or beating them up as punishment for being so pointlessly cruel to someone else. They did it to someone who did no wrong for either their own amusement or because they just felt like it. My method of punishment isn't wrong, it doesn't sink me to their level, unless they're legitimately remorseful for what they did, and by remorseful I don't mean they're sorry that they got in trouble, but sorry that they did something immoral. I'm vengeful but I'm also forgiving, but only if they're truly sorry. However, I'd question why they'd have done it in the first place if they had any conscience.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

Retaliating against a guilty party =/= terrorizing an innocent bystander.

You punish someone without stooping to their level, considering these are just kids there's a chance to scare em straight so they don''t pull shit again. 

The difference is that I'd only be punching them in the face or beating them up as punishment for being so pointlessly cruel to someone else. They did it to someone who did no wrong for either their own amusement or because they just felt like it. My method of punishment isn't wrong, unless they're legitimately remorseful for what they did, and by remorseful I don't mean they're sorry that they got in trouble, but sorry that they did something immoral. I'm vengeful but I'm also forgiving, but only if they're truly sorry. However, I'd question why they'd have done it in the first place if they had any conscience.

Punching a grade-schooler in the face would make you no better than the bullies. Making them spend a few hours in jail to show them what could happen would be much more effective. 

The difference is that I'd only be punching them in the face or beating them up as punishment for being so pointlessly cruel to someone else. They did it to someone who did no wrong for either their own amusement or because they just felt like it. My method of punishment isn't wrong, it doesn't sink me to their level, unless they're legitimately remorseful for what they did, and by remorseful I don't mean they're sorry that they got in trouble, but sorry that they did something immoral. I'm vengeful but I'm also forgiving, but only if they're truly sorry. However, I'd question why they'd have done it in the first place if they had any conscience.

I'm sorry but...WHAT! Punching a kid in the face, yours or someone else's is concidered, not only cruelty towards children, but also assault, and not just that, but assault of a minor, which would land you in jail for a long time.

• Brohoof 1

I think the whole "You are no better than them if you attack back"  is a load a shit.

You don't win wars without retaliation.

Put this is perspective. 

Japan back before the US got into World War 2, bombed one of our military ports "Pearl Harbor" killing 2402 Americans, and injuring over 1000 more. 

So are you saying it was wrong for us to retaliate? Instead we should have just never traded with them again, massive trading tariffs, told them what they did was bad and not to do it again? No they would have kept on attacking us. You don't solve anything without violent retaliation, granted that did eventually come to dropping two nukes on them killing thousands of innocents, but it got them to back down, and we saved many of our own by not resorting to invading their mainland, and they harbor no resentment from what we did to them.

So who cares if we were no better, they attacked first, so they suffered the consequences, the problems were solved.

I think the whole "You are no better than them if you attack back"  is a load a shit.

You don't win wars without retaliation.

Put this is perspective. 

Japan back before the US got into World War 2, bombed one of our military ports "Pearl Harbor" killing 2402 Americans, and injuring over 1000 more. 

So are you saying it was wrong for us to retaliate? Instead we should have just never traded with them again, massive trading tariffs, told them what they did was bad and not to do it again? No they would have kept on attacking us. You don't solve anything without violent retaliation, granted that did eventually come to dropping two nukes on them killing thousands of innocents, but it got them to back down, and we saved many of our own by not resorting to invading their mainland, and they harbor no resentment from what we did to them.

So who cares if we were no better, they attacked first, so they suffered the consequences, the problems were solved.

You're comparing a massive attack from a deadly army that claimed hundreds of lives to some school-yard bullies. Also, Hiroshima was inexcusable and one of the worst mistakes my country ever made. 

Ever here the phrase "He Who Fights Monsters?"

There's a difference between fighting a war against other armed soldiers and butchering innocent civilians. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 2

You punish someone without stooping to their level, considering these are just kids there's a chance to scare em straight so they don''t pull shit again. 

Punching a grade-schooler in the face would make you no better than the bullies. Making them spend a few hours in jail to show them what could happen would be much more effective. 

You can punish them in the same way they hurt someone else and not stop to their level because you have the moral highground of doing it as punishment for what they did. It obviously isn't always as simple as "they did something bad, now ima hurt them", sometimes one should investigate the reasons behind the wrong-doing, but in other cases, it's clear as day the person's just did it because they're a douche.

There are some things I'd never do or support as punishment, even if the person was guilty of knowingly and remorselessly doing the same for the wrong reasons, but assault or a swift death are things I have no qualms with. And the only reason I wouldn't beat those kids up for it is because of legal reasons (that and the amount of effort and time I'd take me to locate and reach them), I have no qualms with attacking someone of either gender, and I have no problem with attacking a kid who's old enough to know right from wrong. The only difference with the kids is that, as an adult, I would have to not be as rough, because I'd imagine it'd be much easier to seriously injure them (than again I'm not exactly The Rock).

And before someone says "oh you'd hit a kid you monster!", well if it's wrong for an adult to hit a kid, than it's wrong for a kid to hit another kid. Again, I'm not talking about kids who aren't old enough to have the capacity to be evil, I'm not like that guy in an episode of Steve Wilkos Show, who hit his baby son for, and I quote with absolute honesty, "looking at him funny". The only other arguments I could think of against it are that a kid would be much more easy to severely hurt, or because it's dishonorable to fight someone weaker than you. Well for the first point, I already said I wouldn't attack them with the same level of force that I'd attack an adult with, and for the second fight, when I fight, I fight to win, the easier the better. I'm the type of person who'd bring a nuke to a knife fight, if that says anything (not literally). I save honor for friendly competitions, where the entire point is to win fairly, because if I cheat that would rob me of the feeling of an earned victory (that and piss off everyone else).

Anyway, none of what I'm saying matters because I'm not gonna do fuck all to these kids, for the reasons I've said, and because I'm intelligent enough to know what can of worms I'd open up on myself if I did, and I'm not just talking legal problems. I'd only do it if I was another student at their school.

You can punish them in the same way they hurt someone else and not stop to their level because you have the moral highground of doing it as punishment for what they did. It obviously isn't always as simple as "they did something bad, now ima hurt them", sometimes one should investigate the reasons behind the wrong-doing, but in other cases, it's clear as day the person's just did it because they're a douche.

There are some things I'd never do or support as punishment, even if the person was guilty of knowingly and remorselessly doing the same for the wrong reasons, but assault or a swift death are things I have no qualms with. And the only reason I wouldn't beat those kids up for it is because of legal reasons (that and the amount of effort and time I'd take me to locate and reach them), I have no qualms with attacking someone of either gender, and I have no problem with attacking a kid who's old enough to know right from wrong. The only difference with the kids is that, as an adult, I would have to not be as rough, because I'd imagine it'd be much easier to seriously injure them (than again I'm not exactly The Rock).

And before someone says "oh you'd hit a kid you monster!", well if it's wrong for an adult to hit a kid, than it's wrong for a kid to hit another kid. Again, I'm not talking about kids who aren't old enough to have the capacity to be evil, I'm not like that guy in an episode of Steve Wilkos Show, who hit his baby son for, and I quote with absolute honesty, "looking at him funny". The only other arguments I could think of against it are that a kid would be much more easy to severely hurt, or because it's dishonorable to fight someone weaker than you. Well for the first point, I already said I wouldn't attack them with the same level of force that I'd attack an adult with, and for the second fight, when I fight, I fight to win, the easier the better. I'm the type of person who'd bring a nuke to a knife fight, if that says anything (not literally). I save honor for friendly competitions, where the entire point is to win fairly, because if I cheat that would rob me of the feeling of an earned victory (that and piss off everyone else).

Anyway, none of what I'm saying matters because I'm not gonna do fuck all to these kids, for the reasons I've said, and because I'm intelligent enough to know what can of worms I'd open up on myself if I did, and I'm not just talking legal problems. I'd only do it if I was another student at their school.

As I said, my suggestion for punish would be making them spend a few hours in jail to scare them and show them what their actions could lead to. 

As I said, my suggestion for punish would be making them spend a few hours in jail to scare them and show them what their actions could lead to. 

Jail would do nothing. No different then a few hours in detention.

• Brohoof 1

Here's another article about this poor child from 'The Raw Story'. The injuries he suffered are quite terrible and may not be recoverable. This is why stories like this demands cultural change and serious action from society towards how children are treated and taught to behave. No longer should children be held to standards they do not wish to meet or be met with ridicule or even violence. Everyone needs to stand together on this.

• Brohoof 1

"In recent years, the kids’ show My Little Pony has attracted a growing number of male fans who refer to themselves as “bronies.” And Michael’s parents say that their son would not want them to be angry at his bullies because My Little Pony teaches tolerance with the motto “Friendship is Magic.”

“It teaches the most basic moral values to a lot of complex thoughts,” Michael’s step-father, Shannon Suttle, pointed out.

“I’ve heard a lot of people say you need to go after bullies and hold them responsible,” Tiffany Morones-Suttle said. “But you know, I don’t think that’s what Mike would want. I would rather teach people how to do right than turn around than punish, because punishment doesn’t always work.”

Source.

Even his own parents refuse to go for the "eye for an eye" approach, because most of you suggesting we should punch the bullies in the face isn't going to do slack. You know what that suggests to them? It suggests that if they do something like that again, they'll get punched in the face for it. Which might seem like the right thing to do – but think about it. They're not being remorseful about hurting their peer, they're just frightened of the consequences. It's no way the right way to go about it.

• Brohoof 1

Been there, done that, most of my life. Don't think I haven't! I wasn't calling him dumb, but more his actions. Did he even try to talk to his parents or school councilor about it? From all I've read and heard, he went straight to the suicide option... Yes, I too have been close to that situation, for various different reasons, but in the end, I personally chose to put the blade down and go to my mother and talk to her about it. What I find kind of disturbing is how the parents are demanding the bullies parents to pay for the medical bills, kids will be kids, as will bullies will be bullies, you cannot escape from bullying, I learned that the hard way. It is his parents fault for not recognizing the signs before it was too late, they should have recognized the signs and talked to him, or he should have trusted them enough to go to them and talk about it..

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but this is me speaking as a ex-parent and someone who has gone through very similar situations.

I already said it was probably hard for him to go for help because admitting incompetence to people you care about is a hard thing to do. Not to mention that though its the right thing to do sometimes telling a parent won't help and may make it worse realistically. It was unfortunate that this boy wasnt able to find the right choices

And getting on the parents about "not seeing the signs" is misplaced. The average individual can hide A LOT whether its bullying or suicidal thoughts. These people can go for years seeming happy and satisfied only to hang themselves the following morning.

Sometimes you can't see it coming.

• Brohoof 1

Detention with "Big Bubba," you mean.

Jail is different from Prison. Usually Jails are just used to hold drunks, and people who misbehave overnight. Barely more than a detention, except now you are just locked behind bars.

Jail would do nothing. No different then a few hours in detention.

You've obviously never been in jail. The psychological effect of being locked up in a jail cell surrounding by armed guards if far different from being holed up with a teacher in a school room.    

I can tell you right now that just one run-in with a cop as a young teen left me with a mild-phobia and distrust for people with official authority. I've caught myself getting nervous around one my best friends just because he works for a respet-care company and is mandatory reporter.    

Edited by Shoboni

Source.

Even his own parents refuse to go for the "eye for an eye" approach, because most of you suggesting we should punch the bullies in the face isn't going to do slack. You know what that suggests to them? It suggests that if they do something like that again, they'll get punched in the face for it. Which might seem like the right thing to do – but think about it. They're not being remorseful about hurting their peer, they're just frightened of the consequences. It's no way the right way to go about it.

But fear of repercussion is what keeps rapists in jail. It is what keeps most people from murdering their ex wife. Those kids don't care about Micheal's family, or what they caused him to do, they just don't. They only care about what evils may befall them for their actions, they care not for how it effects others, only how it may effect them. People like that will never be remorseful for their actions, only for how they get treated as a result. So yes, a violent deterrent would work greatly in most of these cases. 

• Brohoof 2

But fear of repercussion is what keeps rapists in jail. It is what keeps most people from murdering their ex wife. Those kids don't care about Micheal's family, or what they caused him to do, they just don't. They only care about what evils may befall them for their actions, they care not for how it effects others, only how it may effect them. People like that will never be remorseful for their actions, only for how they get treated as a result. So yes, a violent deterrent would work greatly in most of these cases. 

A self-centered deterrent is still a deterrent, yes.

• Brohoof 2