Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How have your thoughts and opinions on the show & the fandom changed over time?

Chuckles4lyfe

When & How old were you when you discovered the magical world of Ponies & Friendship?  

26 users have voted

1. 1. What year did you discover MLP FIM?

• 1st 1/2 of 2011 (January-June)
    • 2nd 1/2 of 2011 (July-December)
    • 1st 1/2 of 2012
    • 2nd 1/2 of 2012
    • 1st 1/2 of 2013
    • 2nd 1/2 of 2013
  2. 2. How old were you when you discovered MLP FIM?

• Under 10
    • 11-13
    • 14-17
    • 18-21
    • 22-26
    • 27-30
    • Above 31

Hey everypony, hope all of you are having a wonderful day :lol:. I thought that I would start off this topic with a quick 2 question poll since I'm curious to know when most of you discovered this amazing show and how old you were when you found out about it.

With all of the logistics aside, here's my question to all of you fantastic bronies out there: Have your thoughts and feelings about the show and the fandom changed over time?

I can safely say that I've changed a lot these past couple of years. When I 1st discovered MLP back in April 2012, I was only 18 years old and still in college. Now that I've graduated and am now 20, I have had a lot of time to think back & reflect on what the show really means to me. 

Back then, I guess you could have classified me as a gung-ho brony. I would try to force as many people as possible to watch the show and would talk about ponies constantly while in their presence. I wore my mlp shirts everywhere, and even had the chance to attend brony meetups where I met other bronies.

This all changed when I graduated in June 2013. I noticed that my interest in the show had died down significantly. I no longer had a pony wallpaper on my computer, I stopped seeing other irl bronies, and stopped wearing my shirts in public. 

It's not to say that I didn't enjoy the show anymore, it's just that I was figuring out what I needed to do with my life, and I felt that my love of mlp shouldn't define who I am. 

This all leads to how I view myself now; I'm still an avid fan of the show, but I prefer to keep that knowledge to myself. I no longer constantly talk about ponies in every waking moment, & I don't let people publicly know that I am a brony. I also don't force others to watch the show anymore. Whether or not they want to watch the show or not is their choice and their choice alone.

I've definitely matured a lot over the years, and still enjoy the show immensely. With MLP being renewed for a 5th season and possibly lasting for another 5+ years, you can all definitely bet that I'll still be here supporting the show to the very end  :wub: .  

• Brohoof 1

For the show? Pretty good and excellent despite the rough patches over the years.

For the fans? Unfortunately it took a toll for down hill for me, but not entirely.

Overall, I now consider myself a big fan of MLP, but not a brony.

• Brohoof 1

Hell, for being a show that was meant to be nothing more than a selling point for toys; it's doing a far lot better than some of the other stuff going on tv right now. As for the fandom, can't really say it's matured is all I can say...

My love for the show and the fandom has grown since I joined. I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon.

As I watched the show for the first time, I mainly watched for entertainment. But now I am increasingly watching to analyse, understand and fully grasp each episode.

Reflecting on the lesson it gives. I have also started watching old episodes with the same mindset.

Over the years, I've come to love the actual show a lot more than I previously did. However, my opinion on the fandom went downhill fairly quickly. I don't hate the fandom, but I certainly don't like it either. 

• Brohoof 2

I discovered the show sometime in Spring of 2011. I do believe it was either late April or very early May. I remember because I had finals that I had to study for and I told myself I would wait until after they were done to watch it, but I ended up watching it beforehand anyway. >.< (and still aced the exams. Yup! That's right. xD) My opinion of the show has not changed much over time. I liked it pretty well in the beginning, and I still do. Although I might like it a little more, it wouldn't be too much.

As for the fandom, my opinion has changed quite a bit. When I first heard about grown men watching a show for little girls and being proud of it, I was quite shocked, but in a positive way. I was just so shocked to see men secure enough in themselves to enjoy something for girls... to break past that societal barrier that tries so hard to tell them that being feminine is inferior (altogether saying that being a girl is inferior).

But... I guess I was too overwhelmed with shock at that point to be able to see what was really happening. The community has flipped my positive expectations completely upside down and ultimately deeply disappointed me.

But I'll leave it at that.

• Brohoof 1

My love for the show has grown, but my opinion of the fandom went down. I love, love the fanworks we do and the good deeds we do that make me proud to be a brony.... but remember when we made the fuss over Derpy and sent an innocent user death threats and harsh words? Or when Princess Molestia existed? Foalcon? I've met bronies who have told me I'm not a real fan because I'm female, and some bronies who have tried to find my location just because I was a female. Or what about the guy who tried to marry Twilight Sparkle? Ugh, it makes us look awful and I felt ahamed of being a brony sometimes thanks to the fandom.

I love this fandom. The way it roundhouse kicks society in the face. The kind way we deal with haters. The overall "Love and Tolerance" of this fandom makes it much more than a fandom. Dont let it go to jack guys, keep it going strong. Friendship is what keeps this fandom together.

I love the uniquely artistic people in this fandom, I love all the beautiful pieces of music created and as well as all the catchy beats.

I love all the beautiful pieces of art created from this fandom.

I am amazed at the generosity of this fandom. From helping an 11 year old fellow brony regain consiousness from a mistake he made to donating in many different charities around the world

Even the little things I saw bronies do, helping with life advice, or generally making just about anyone smile. 

The fact that there is little fighting in this fandom amazes me, yeah there are debates, but they are debates, not arguments against someones person. 

I also love the humor in this fandom aswell, All three Anthologies gave me a good laugh.

Keep going strong!

My interest on the show has been somewhat excellent, for I have nothing against it.  Fandom on the other hand.........that's still an "iffy".  Not that i hate some brony's but there are some great brony's i've met and those who are dead-on hardcore fans who would collect anything from toys to season movies.