Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Discord popped the question to Fluttershy?

Singe

He was supposed to be the embodiment of chaos! :okiedokielokie: 

Chaos? You mean...That thing he creates in every single appearance? Yeah, how dare he...Continue to be the embodiment of chaos...? :huh:

As for the topic: It would be inexcusably stupid and ruin the show if legit. Hilarious if Discord's just screwing around.

Chaos? You mean...That thing he creates in every single appearance? Yeah, how dare he...Continue to be the embodiment of chaos...? :huh:

Do you even watch the show? Now he's a nice version of himself who occasionally does silly things that kind of annoy his friends. That's not pure chaos!  :wacko:

Alright, all fan drama aside I think Discord wouldn't be serious about it, he seems like the type of person who only do that for the reaction (or for the lulz).

(edited)

Do you even watch the show? Now he's a nice version of himself who occasionally does silly things that kind of annoy his friends. That's not pure chaos!  :wacko:

Who said anything at all about pure chaos? Discord himself couldn't even exist in a state of pure chaos, as his very being depends upon a precise order and arrangement of molecules. Presumably.

And really, setting Everfree Forest on a path to consume and destroy all of Equestria (in time, presumably) is just 'a silly thing that kind of annoys his friends'? You'd have to be an absolute psychopath to believe that but I digress:

Discord is originally called a 'spirit of disharmony'. Scootaloo only assumes it means chaos - and chaos, at any rate, can be something as simple as disagreeing friends splitting up a group work project. It does not default to 'reality-warping madness'. There are various degrees of chaos.

Either way, Discord absolutely does create disharmony and/or chaos during every appearance, whether it be as simple as driving a wedge between peers (disharmony) or as blatant as throwing off the sun/moon cycle, drinking glass, and making Fluttershy's house float in mid-air (blatant chaos).

Ergo, your complaints about his "pussified" character are largely baseless.

Edited by Koelath

(edited)

Who said anything at all about pure chaos? Discord himself couldn't even exist in a state of pure chaos, as his very being depends upon a precise order and arrangement of molecules.

Oh for fucks sake, you know it doesn't need to be that literally to be a cartoon version of an embodiment of chaos and you're just building a strawman idea of what I'm saying he should be and originally was.  >_>

Discord is originally called a 'spirit of disharmony'. Scootaloo only assumes it means chaos. 

That's the worst argument against him being the embodiment of chaos I've ever heard. The opposite of harmony is chaos, he went on and on about how much he loves disorder and chaos and that there's no fun in making sense, and his name is Discord for Christ's sake. You'd have to be literally ignoring the 100% defined canon to say he isn't the embodiment of chaos.  :wacko:

There are various degrees of chaos.

His name is Discord, though. It ruins his entire character for him to not cause or at least intend to cause pure chaos.

Either way, Discord absolutely does create disharmony and/or chaos during every appearance, whether it be as simple as driving a wedge between peers (disharmony) or as blatant as throwing off the sun/moon cycle, drinking glass, and making Fluttershy's house float in mid-air (blatant chaos).

But they're just goofy magic tricks now and he's watching out for people's well being.  >_>

Ergo, your complaints about his "pussified" character are largely baseless.

It is absolutely not. You're defenses against him being pussified have been really baseless and downright canon denying.  :blink: You do realize there was a whole episode dedicated to Fluttershy pussifying him, right?  :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

(edited)

You'd have to be literally ignoring the 100% defined canon to say he isn't the embodiment of chaos.  :wacko:

It is absolutely not. You're defenses against him being pussified have been really baseless and downright canon denying.  :blink: You do realize there was a whole episode dedicated to Fluttershy pussifying him, right?  :okiedokielokie:

I'm not building a strawman. I'm stating a fact. Pure chaos would be a stupidly self-destructive thing for him or anyone to create. Even without the literalism, a state of pure chaos effectively destroys the very concept of harmony which by extension destroys the very concept of disharmony.

Canon stated he is a spirit of disharmony. Canon did not ever even once state he is "pure chaos" and the closest it ever came was guesswork by a filly. The only one denying canon here is you.

There was an episode about him becoming a less malevolent anti-villain. There was no episode at all about anyone "pussifying" him.

The word discord means "a lack of harmony" or "a disagreement". Ergo, his every appearance has involved discord. He is perfectly in line with his intended character.

Edited by Koelath

(edited)

He's less comic relief and more anti-villain. The schemes he gets up to are only funny in the sense that it's fun to see how he torments everyone else involved. He's still quite villainous. He simply goes about his villainy in a less outright-malevolent manner.

He completely gave up on villainous behavior by the later seasons of TNG. He helped Picard realize the importance of the choices he made as a young man in "Tapestry", he went straight-up goofy in "QPid", he pushed Picard in the right direction to prevent the extinction of humanity in "All Good Things..."

And then in his three appearances in Voyager, he tried convincing Janeway to mate with him to imbue the Continuum with the "best qualities of humanity" in "The Q and the Grey", provided Quinn with the means to take his own life after Janeway ruled in Quinn's favor in "Death Wish", and went full-on "doting father" in "Q2". Hell, in "Q Who?" he introduced the Enterprise to the Borg and only took them out of danger after 18 crewmen died, and then only after Picard agreed to beg for help. Then in "Q2", his son transports the Borg onto Voyager and he shows up and snaps everyone out of danger. He even called Picard "The closest thing I have to a friend". I personally like the development of his character, but he lost any sense of villainy or negativity around the time he was temporarily turned into a human in "Deja Q". The only exception to this would be "True Q", but even then he softened on Amanda Rogers despite initially threatening to destroy her. 

He was no longer a villain, he was a nuisance. His powers made him seem like a less malevolent version of his original self from "Encounter at Farpoint" or "Hide and Q", but really he was just like that uncle no one likes who shows up at family parties and refuses to leave.

Edited by Something Floaty

I'm not building a strawman. I'm stating a fact. Pure chaos would be a stupidly self-destructive thing for him or anyone to create. Even without the literalism, a state of pure chaos effectively destroys the very concept of harmony which by extension destroys the very concept of disharmony.

Canon stated he is a spirit of disharmony. Canon did not ever even once state he is "pure chaos" and the closest it ever came was guesswork by a filly. The only one denying canon here is you.

There was an episode about him becoming a less malevolent anti-villain. There was no episode at all about anyone "pussifying" him.

The word discord means "a lack of harmony" or "a disagreement". Ergo, his every appearance has involved discord. He is perfectly in line with his intended character.

In the words of Jack Sparrow, "Couldn't resist, mate."

He completely gave up on villainous behavior by the later seasons of TNG.

I was talking about Discord but since we're on the subject...What part of "he only took them out of danger after 18 crewmen died" is "comic relief"? o-o

(edited)

I'm not building a strawman. I'm stating a fact. Pure chaos would be a stupidly self-destructive thing for him or anyone to create.

You can call it stupid but that was what his character was about. He was never evil, he was pure chaos. That WAS his character. It doesn't really matter if you think he acted stupidly or had bad motivations, that was what he was doing.  :wacko: Maybe you should rewatch the episode because I really don't see how anyone could say that what he did to Ponyville was disorder or chaos.  :huh:

Canon stated he is a spirit of disharmony. Canon did not ever even once state he is "pure chaos" and the closest it ever came was guesswork by a filly. 

Yeah, guesswork that was very obviously right and was never shown not to be. They wouldn't have even had a random line where she guesses something wrong and it's never pointed out. That's just ridiculous. I'd also have to watch the episode again but I'm like 80% sure he used the word chaos himself or possibly Celestia or the Mane 6.  >_>

The only one denying canon here is you.

Yeah, I'm really not, though.  :derp:

Wait, they didn't use the word "pussifying"?  :derp:  It's the same thing, that's just the word I chose to use.  :P

And what's another word for the opposite of harmony? Discordance.  :catface: This is just an argument of semantics now, they mean the same thing!  :blink:

I was talking about Discord but since we're on the subject...What part of "he only took them out of danger after 18 crewmen died" is "comic relief"? o-o

I was saying, that was when he was still a villain, the first couple seasons of TNG. The pilot episode, "Encounter at Farpoint", the episode when he imbues Riker with the Q power, "Hide and Q", and the episode where he introduces them to the Borg, "Q Who"....he went from those to, a few years later, dressing the crew in Robin Hood theater costumes and playing It's a Wonderful Life with Picard. 

However, I do agree with your characterization of Discord, I was confused and thought you were talking about Q. 

Discord still retains his power over altering their characteristics. A snap of his finger and the Mane 6 are all Earth Ponies, no more of a threat to him.

It's not that Discord has became weak, he was never really serious to begin with.

(edited)

And what's another word for the opposite of harmony? Discordance.  :catface:

Discordance as in discord? Discord as in disharmony? Disharmony as in "disagreement, conflict, strife"?

Thank you for proving my f###ing point. He has induced discord in every appearance. His character, a spirit of disharmony (and yes, chaos but not only pure chaos all the time as you seem to want to insist despite zero evidence), has in no way been damaged.

He's as mischievous and playful now as he was in his first appearance. The only difference to him now is that he is not outright malevolent like he was in his debut. But seeing as malevolence is not at all required for the sowing of discord, this in no way damages the integrity of his character.

Edited by Koelath

He asks Fluttershy to marry him.

I wouldn't even hold it past Rarity to jump in if she saw the rock he was carrying for comedic purpose.

My brain would probably simultaneously explode, melt, and turn into a tulip from sheer not knowing how to feel about that.

I was saying, that was when he was still a villain, the first couple seasons of TNG. The pilot episode, "Encounter at Farpoint", the episode when he imbues Riker with the Q power, "Hide and Q", and the episode where he introduces them to the Borg, "Q Who"....he went from those to, a few years later, dressing the crew in Robin Hood theater costumes and playing It's a Wonderful Life with Picard. 

However, I do agree with your characterization of Discord, I was confused and thought you were talking about Q. 

Honestly, I've never seen much Star Trek, just scattered episodes of the Picard and Janeway eras and the '09 movie reboot. Never saw a Q episode. XD

Honestly, I've never seen much Star Trek, just scattered episodes of the Picard and Janeway eras and the '09 movie reboot. Never saw a Q episode. XD

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME. 

Uh, I mean, you should watch more Star Trek. Everyone should. 

(edited)

Discordance as in discord? Discord as in disharmony? Disharmony as in "disagreement, conflict, strife"?

Yeah, except what you're not understanding is pure disharmony, not a little bit of goofing around. There was no order to what he did to Equestria, now he's just a little bit of a goofball who doesn't do much at all.  >_>

Thank you for proving my f###ing point.

Calm down, dude. Not sure if the bold text is supposed to imply you're pissed but can't we just disagree in a friendly manner?  :)

He has induced discord in every appearance. His character, a spirit of disharmony (and yes, chaos but not only pure chaos all the time as you seem to want to insist despite zero evidence) has in no way been damaged.

Despite zero evidence? Yeah, there was so much harmony to his version of Ponyville in Return of Harmony. Except there wasn't. Even the name testifies to this because the harmony has to return, it went away. There was no harmony to Ponyville with Discord whatsoever. They said this over and over in the episode itself and even if they didn't you can tell by watching it. All the evidence is on my side, dude. You're just making excuses. :wacko:

He's as mischievous and playful now as he was in his first appearance. The only difference to him now is that he is not outright malevolent like he was in his debut. But seeing as malevolence is not at all required for the sowing of discord, this in no way damages the integrity of his character.

He was never evil nor did he ever do anything to harm anyone. His actions just happened to harm people in the process because he was causing pure disharmony and was the embodiment of chaos. His character is ruined now.  :blink:

(edited)

YOU ARE DEAD TO ME.

So...I'm an apple?

Well, I did try to watch parts of the original series once...Couldn't do it. Got to a fight scene and it was just way too obvious the actors were basically punching air. There was so little impact or good visceral feedback to anything, it was like they got the choreographer from West Side Story's "fight (twirl like ballerinas) scenes". Loved the '09 film, haven't seen the sequel yet...But if they're rebooting the movies, maybe the series could use an update too.

But Picard is still best captain. And the Borg are best alien race. :lol:

His character is ruined now.

Let's go through this again:

1) Discord has a certain 'character'.

2) Discord's character is, to quote Discord himself verbatim, a "spirit of disharmony and chaos".

3) In every single appearance in the series to date, Discord creates disharmony and/or chaos.

You are getting hung up on this idea of "pure chaos", a quality YOU are projecting onto him. In canon, he does not describe himself as "pure chaos" anywhere, ever. He does however describe himself as a spirit of disharmony and chaos, and he lives up to that description (in however small a way) every time he appears on-screen.

Evidence-based conclusion: He is still perfectly in line with his character.

Edited by Koelath

(edited)

Let's go through this again:

1) Discord has a certain 'character'.

2) Discord's character is, to quote Discord himself verbatim, a "spirit of disharmony and chaos".

3) In every single appearance in the series to date, Discord creates disharmony and/or chaos.

Evidence-based conclusion: He is still perfectly in line with his character.

Except he doesn't. Let's run through this again:

1) He doesn't create pure chaos anymore and that is what he did originally. 

Evidence-based conclusion: He's a pussified version of himself and no longer a spirit of disharmony or chaos even if he does create a little bit still he's clearly no longer doing it to the full extent he used to. This is undeniable.

(edited)

Except he doesn't. Let's run through this again:

1) He doesn't create pure chaos anymore and that is what he did originally. 

Evidence-based conclusion: He's a pussified version of himself and no longer a spirit of disharmony or chaos even if he does create a little bit still he's clearly no longer doing it to the full extent he used to. This is undeniable.

And again:

You are getting hung up on this idea of "pure chaos", a quality YOU are projecting onto him. In canon, he does not describe himself as "pure chaos" anywhere, ever. He does however describe himself as a spirit of disharmony and chaos, and he lives up to that description (in however small a way) every time he appears on-screen.

He is absolutely still a spirit of disharmony and chaos, as he still creates disharmony and chaos whenever he's around. That it doesn't live up to the arbitrary bar you've decided to set for him (without any reason beyond 'he was excessively chaotic once, so he is required to be that way 24/7/365') means absolutely nothing because he is not your character. He belongs to the writers and the character they wrote still exists perfectly undamaged.

Edited by Koelath

And again:

How can you be the spirit of something you don't do fully? :huh:  Besides, he didn't need to say it since he DID do pure chaos in his first appearance. It's undeniable he does less now.  :wacko: