Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kodiak

I was hooked to the show from the very first episode but I think that's just me. Many would probably pick other episodes than the first ones.

I think it's more important to have the person to watch it with an open mind. Watching it and thinking "This is only for girls" all the time will make everything in the show seem girly.

I showed my friend "look before you sleep" and "putting your hoof down" and she liked them. She didn't exactly become a brony, but she understood the appeal and started watching the show.

I was in a hurry so I didn't choose perfectly, but they worked ok... I think something to look for in the episode would be little to no singing and few super girly activities. Also, choosing something the viewer can relate to would be nice (for example, having a friend that is your exact opposite and putting up with them like in look before you sleep).

"Luna Eclipsed" With Holloween coming up, it would be perfect. Also it's IMO the funniest episode, and it shows the personalities of 5 of the mane 6.

Oh boy... ... personally I wouldn't care what others think of me if they found out I was watching a show meant for young girls. Heck I have watched The Powerpuff Girls AND G1 ponies. My parents seem to accept that I have watched all those shows, though they haven't seen what kind of show is MLP: FiM.

Onto your problem at hand... well, I don't know. If I had only one chance to show my parents why I like this show, I'd show them either the first two episodes or the first Season 2 episodes. Both are in a way the best IMO in this case as they all show what kind are the Mane 6 and the Princesses as well as the villains.

Return of Harmony (Both parts), Lesson Zero, Over a Barrel... I mean, basically, you want one that bends AWAY from girly (This eliminates the wedding episodes, Party of One, etc).

• Brohoof 1

EVERY EPISODE!!! TIE THEM TO A CHAIR AND MAKE THEM WATCH EVERY LAST ONE!

I mean tell them to watch the first 4 then they can decide if they wish to continue to watch or not.

Well, ever chapter is a contender (depending on what they like). If this group of people still like shows like that of Foster's Mansion or PPG, you shouldn't have much trouble in them at least understanding the appeal, whether they like the show or not.

It depends on what you could show them. If for example, you could show some humor like that of Looney Tunes, then "Feeling Pinkie Keen" is probably your best choice (considering how Twilight turns into Rapidash, and Pinkie becomes well...a crossover of many characters :lol: ).

If action is more the suiting thing, then "The Return of Harmony" (probably best if part 1), "Lesson Zero", and "Over a Barrel". While Lesson Zero doesn't have that much action, a tactical rainboom nuke, and insane Twilight should do the trick.

"Bridle Gossip" is too a good idea, considering the amount of humor in that chapter (and of course Flutterguy. THAT should be funny enough for them). "Putting Your Hoof Down" might also be a good idea (lotsa humor in that one, and of course, bully Fluttershy). "Luna Eclipsed" too I guess (Luna in her..er...intial state should give them a laugh or two). "Applebuck Season" is too a great idea (I don't anything could be considered...well...girly)

You should also try to avoid any song involving episode (because as much as we love them, especially Pinkie's songs, well...yeah, probably not the best choice). The only exception could be "Party of One", because of Pinkie's "Pinkamena" part, and while her song could get annoying, it's not long enough before the "suspicious" begins. I'd also except A Canterlot Wedding part 2, given the best fight of the whole series, but the cheesy part at the end MIGHT drive them out.

I don't think I have any other recommendation, I guess. Good luck with at least trying them to respect the show! ;)

• Brohoof 1

For me when I want to leave a first impression on somepony. I used this video,

It's really epic and only lasts 3 minutes.

If you really want to show them an episode Return of Harmony is quite good. Maybe some Putting your hoof down, Lesson Zero or Dragonshy for some good non-girly character development episodes.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so lot's of people have suggested "lesson zero" as the episode. Assuming the person thinks that episode is "stupid' (it actually did happen with another case of mine), what's another episode?

@@One, I like the way you think.

Edited by whoovesfan7698

It depends on the person.

If someone likes humor, show them Party of One, Lesson Zero, Bridle Gossip, Bird in the Hoof or the like. If someone is a huge geek/is into references, show them MMMystery, It's About Time or Return of Harmony. Someone who likes action would definitely like either the pilot, Return of Harmony, Canterlot Wedding or the Last Roundup. If you want to convert someone who likes musicals/Disney, Best Night Ever or Canterlot Wedding would be excellent. Someone who likes heartfelt moments should definitely go for Hurricane Fluttershy, Cutie Mark Chronicles or Sisterhooves Social.

Also focus on certain morals and how your friend will relate to it. If you have a friend who is really stressed out about work for example, Suited for Success is perfect, and they will probably gain appreciation for a show they can relate to. Also, note how they may react to certain characters. Example, If they hate people who boast, brag and show off, do not show them Sonic Rainboom or Boast Busters.

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 2

Applebuck Season was really the episode that turned me into a brony. Prior to that I had watched S1 episodes 1-3, Lesson Zero, and Baby Cakes but I didn't give the show a real chance until watching Applebuck Season.

Applebuck Season and Lesson Zero are definitely good ones for non-bronies to watch.

Applebuck Season, Return of Harmony, or A Canterlot Wedding. The reason I added Centerlot Wedding to the list is even though some might say it has more of a girly theme (love conquering all) the singing and plot are both excellent, it's like watching an opera but in cartoon form.

Read it and weep is the one I got started on. Or winter wrap up is good 2. Don't show any rarity episodes cause I don't think they would help your cause :P

Posted Image

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. I'm thinking "Sonic Rainboom" since he tends to be a more "cool" guy, so the episode seems fitting. I'm not sure, though, I'll take what I can get, and, I hate to admit it, but I still haven't seen "Read it and Weep" yet (I'm only up to "The Mysterious Mare Do Well" in Season 2. I just don't get much time to watch the show between school, clubs, and the like. It's also hard when your parents tend to be suspicious of your every move, so keeping it a secret from them is no easy task.), but I trust your judgement as well as other bronies who've recommended that episode. Thanks again.

Seeing the the Mane 6 beaten and broken is always comforting.

Ironic, don't you think? Seriously, though, thanks for the advice. I was planning to show season 2's episode 1 and 2 to them first (giving a short explanation for the ones that didnt' see season 1's pilot), and then see what they think. I think that's a solid plan overall, season 2's episodes 1 and 2. Now if I can just convince them to actually watch the show...

Also, for another friend of mine (one of those who was present and insulted me too, a girl no less) who reads fanfiction (or at least is currently reading one, obviously not an MLP one), I'm considering telling her to read My Little Dashie, you know, after she sees season 2's first and second episode. What is your input on that?

• Brohoof 1

Ironic, don't you think? Seriously, though, thanks for the advice. I was planning to show season 2's episode 1 and 2 to them first (giving a short explanation for the ones that didnt' see season 1's pilot), and then see what they think. I think that's a solid plan overall, season 2's episodes 1 and 2. Now if I can just convince them to actually watch the show...

Also, for another friend of mine (one of those who was present and insulted me too, a girl no less) who reads fanfiction (or at least is currently reading one, obviously not an MLP one), I'm considering telling her to read My Little Dashie, you know, after she sees season 2's first and second episode. What is your input on that?

Personally No on "My Little Dashie". If you want her hooked you want some that will grab her attention. After seeing season 2 part 1&2 she'll no doubt be intrigued by Discord so show her a fic featuring him. I suggest "Chaos and Laughter" fimfiction.net

Edited by Inazuma

• 1 month later...

For me when I want to leave a first impression on somepony. I used this video,

It's really epic and only lasts 3 minutes.

If you really want to show them an episode Return of Harmony is quite good. Maybe some Putting your hoof down, Lesson Zero or Dragonshy for some good non-girly character development episodes.

That's what I was gonna say, lol. Okay, probably Dragonshy because they're all very in character and it's got the humor there too. You probably shouldn't show them the Return of Harmony because it would probably be better for them to know the show beforehand, even though it's a good episode... Definitely show them the video it's awesome!  ;)