Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Scootaloo disabled or not?

Rarity Paige Belle

Because if they say yes, they cause a giant "muh feels", your show is "ablist" shit storm via the internet and tumblr. However, if they retcon her plight, and say she is not disabled at all, then you get the reverse effect, but still a shit storm due to her not being crippled. So they leave her in a grey zone for the time being, to avoid major issues within the 12 million strong internet fandom.

Personally however, I don't see her as crippled, she is just under developed for her age.

• Brohoof 4

I think they don't know for sure, but to me Scootaloo is disabled. Unless her wings grow to see if she can fly or not, otherwise I could probably believe it. She can hover off the ground a little, but not close to actual flying though.

I dont think she is. I think her wings just arent strong enough. She hasn't got her cutie mark either I say she learns to fly and gets he cutie mark all on the same day lol. BUT even if she was handicap, It could be really cool for the younger kids. To show the love and tolerate thing. Either way we all love scootalo. :D, and her adorable little wings.

Edited by Nikkers
  • Brohoof 3

She is still young IMO, I was told that when I was a little kid that it took me forever to start talking, then when I finally did I would never shut up, didn't mean I was disabled or anything like that, just meant I was a late bloomer so to speak, however I sadly doubt the writers will ever make scoots fly just because of the fact that it COULD potentially water down her character!

Though seeing a time skip where scoots is flying would be AWESOME, just a little something to confirm that she will one day fly would be amazing IMO! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I'd like it if she could properly fly someday, but to realize even when she can, that she's still the most talented on the ground. She's never going to be like Rainbow Dash; but she learns she doesn't need to be.

That's the best outcome as I see it.

• Brohoof 1

Because if they say yes, they cause a giant "muh feels", your show is "ablist" shit storm via the internet and tumblr. However, if they retcon her plight, and say she is not disabled at all, then you get the reverse effect, but still a shit storm due to her not being crippled. So they leave her in a grey zone for the time being, to avoid major issues within the 12 million strong internet fandom.

^Pretty much this, in reality.

In show, though, it's just possible that she's a late bloomer :D

I mean, her wings aren't developing as quickly as they do for other pegasi; maybe that's why she looks up to Rainbow Dash so much, given that RD is one of the best flyers in all of Equestria while being a powerful female figure in society. 

She can't fly, but RD can.

What the fuck am I even saying it's not the topic I can't evcn

Overall, she's not disabled, but she's a slow developer. I think she'll be able to fly just as well soon enough, though :D

• Brohoof 1

I can guarantee that they will make her fly eventually. I would rather them keep her flightless though to provide the moral that it's okay to have a disability and that you aren't useless for having one. That's the whole point of her scooter.

As it is, she uses her wings to propel her scooter and launch herself into some acrobatics. It's a matter of strength training at this point. If Bulk Biceps can fly, Scootaloo will one day manage it.

Edit: Even if Scootaloo was intended to be disabled, they'd probably admit to Applejack's parents being dead first.

Edited by Red Cedar

It's possible but they will never openly say it I guess, it doesn't matter either way and I think the point of it all is to show that her friends don't treat her any differently because of it :) 

Hi there, . I have moved your topic from Sugarcube Corner to Show Discussion.

Sugarcube Corner is designed for posting pony-related things that do not directly involve Friendship is Magic, such as the fandom. Show Discussion is designed for discussing the show itself.

To me, it's what Nikkers  and ghostfacekiller said. Her wings just aren't strong enough and she's probably a late bloomer or something. There might be an episode later on where she gets her cutie mark, and she'll probably get it get while soaring through the air for the first time without any trouble.

Just a thought.

She could be a late bloomer.

Her wings may not be strong enough.

There could be a difference in the bones in her wings or body that inhibits her.

Maybe her wings are not the problem and she's just over the weight limit her wings can sustain flight. Even birds have to expend more energy to sustain flight if they are too heavy.

Edited by Singe

We all know that Scootaloo can't fly, but is it because she is disabled or not? Why can't the writers just come out and say yes or no?

I always like to think it a late bloomer kind of deal.  Reason the writers dont one to say is well, you know this fandom Kaboom!!

I'm gonna mess up the quote for sure but i remember her asking twilight "what if i can never fly" so there is a possibitly that she can possibly fky when she's older and her wings just didnt fully devekop yet

• Brohoof 1

I don't think anyone can say for sure at this point.

It was made clear that Scootaloo cannot fly as of now. However, it wasn't made clear whether or not she will not be able to fly for the rest of her life.

I have a feeling that she will learn to fly in time.

• Brohoof 1

If it was some physical problem, Scootaloo would have went to the doctor or even Zecora for help. I think Twilight could fill of request of using her magic to modify Scootaloo's wings.

I don't know how in Equestria you got that Scootaloo was disabled, but I'm more than sure that she's not.

She's just a little too young to fly yet, and even if she was a little older, not all pegasi learn to fly at the same time.

It takes time, and her little wings just aren't really big enough to hold her up for long yet. She'll learn to fly someday, I guarantee you.

She's able to fly guys, only for a short period of time, normal for any other filly/colt

No, she can hover. And only for a few seconds.

In Flight to the Finish, you see her looking with concern at two other foals her age flying loops in the air above Rainbow Dash.

And if what Diamond Tiara said is true (and judging from Scoots' reaction, it probably is), then most pegasi at her age can fly.

I don't know how in Equestria you got that Scootaloo was disabled, but I'm more than sure that she's not.

Faust has stated that she intended for Scootaloo to be disabled.

In Flight to the Finish, Scoots' worry of "What if I never fly?" is a legitimate concern. And Rainbow's "Maybe you'll fly, or maybe you won't" confirms that it's a possibility. She's either a late bloomer or she's disabled.

I'm of the belief that Scoots' is disabled and will not fly.

I think it's a deep and intriguing character aspect, and her not being able to fly does not make her less valuable to society or less capable of having a happy, fulfilling life.

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, but I don't believe this whole, her wings are to small, so that's why she can't fly. We have seen pegasus that are younger then her, older then her, and even the same age as her, and they all have been able to fly. Some even have smaller wings and they all have been able to fly. Besides do we even know her wings are smaller then every other pegasus? Where is that proof? 

Besides we still have barley any idea of how flying works in their world. Is it really some magic that give them the power to fly or does it require some kind of power to make them fly? Before we start saying disabled or not, we need this info before we make a proper conclusion.