Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come nopony has an earth pony OC?

Colorful Respawn

I belove Earth Ponies, they are like a women wearing a dress instead of a midriff, your imagination gets a work out!

My OC is a Unicorn who has lost his Horn, so technically he is an Earth Pony, minus all the great Earth Pony magic of course.

Even if he doesn't kill, he still maims horribly sometimes, and he's Crazy-Prepared for emergencies.

So true. He's got no problems about that either. Nightwing is another matter. (damn tumblr... i've never been able to look at Nightwing in the same light since. -_-U)

I remember the movie... what was the title... Doom? Tower of Babel?. He had a contingency plan for every super hero out there and even keeps that shard of Kryptonite for Supes for the day when he goes and loses his marbles. When that part came out in the movie I was like 'o___o hoooollly crapcicles...' I mean, on the one hand I totally understand it... but still.... jeez.

I'm not sure if it'd make me laugh or shudder if there was a Batpony. (Could only ever see BatPony as an earth type.)

tumblr_mfoego5IKe1rlj4afo1_500.png

Just one more question along this (earth pony) line (thank you Tumblr)

How can the Crystal Empire have such powerful magic if it consists entirely of earth ponies?

Edited by Dx121

They all want some magic power, or to fly or whatever, but if they are a roleplayer or story writer, you can get a lot out of an earth pony. My OC will be one, when I make it that is.

How can the Crystal Empire have such powerful magic if it consists entirely of earth ponies?

That's probably because the Crystal Ponies seem to be a special breed of Earth Ponies - you don't see normal Earth Ponies with crystalline coats! From what I've seen, Crystal Ponies are empathetic beings that thrive off of positive emotions, so their inherent magic is strongest when good feelings such as love and hope are abundant. :D

Edited by Miss Reaper

• 8 months later...

I got to thinking. I don't have an OC and/or ponyosa yet, so I had one arted up. I purposely went for Earth since there seems to be a tendency to focus on Pegasi or Unicorn ponies. Also, Earth fits me better methinks. 

test_by_civetri-d89hv69.png

• Brohoof 1

Like many have already said, people tend to want flashy built-in skills/aspects to utilize in RP, or just to make their character more interesting in general. I was going to make Tenor a Pegasus originally, but after thinking about his character concept for awhile I decided that an Earth pony fits better for him. I'm not going to lie, there was also a sort of hipster "well everyone is a Pegasus/unicorn, I want him to be something different" thought at some point :D

Personally, I find RPing an Earth Pony to be very fun! People tend to expect them to be "boring", so it's great when you can surprise/entertain them with other aspects of the character that fall outside the "I can do magic/fly" equation. I would say that it's more challenging, but that might be getting a bit pretentious.

Edited by TenorSounds

there boring compared to other races plus there the only race we practically have and in show how often do their powers get used on how long di it take you to realize EP had powers in a faced they'd get owned by other races

there boring compared to other races

Pinkie Pie is boring?!

I have currently three OCs. Although I didn't plan it that way, they are currently one of each of the three main pony races.

My earth pony is admittedly half-unicorn (though does not appear visually unicorn-like) and does seem to have slightly more magic in him than a typical earth pony. Approaching Pinkie Pie levels of magic.

Edited by Vital Sparkle

Well, while she isn't my main OC, my earth pony OC Sojourner is just as special to me as Pathfinder is.

Really, I think I see why some would prefer the other races, but considering everything, earth ponies are just as interesting.

Base:Doll Commission - Sojourner (by Softfang).png

Pinkie Pie is boring?!

I have currently three OCs. Although I didn't plan it that way, they are currently one of each of the three main pony races.

My earth pony is admittedly half-unicorn (though does not appear visually unicorn-like) and does seem to have slightly more magic in him than a typical earth pony. Approaching Pinkie Pie levels of magic.

other then her personality and minus PS she like the rest of EP skill set and general wise is a boring race humans can do what they can do and how often do they get to use their powers or need them growing every day but not every1 is a farmer who needs strength when u got magic 

other then her personality and minus PS she like the rest of EP skill set

Pinkie Sense is pretty good magic. Although in Feeling Pinkie Keen it was fairly vague, it is shown to sometimes allow her to make quite specific predictions, such as in The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well.

Also she appears to be able to hover in mid-air in Too Many Pinkies.

It's because EPs don't have any obvious benefits. Why would you want to be a boring old EP when you can fly or do magic?

I'm not gonna use any of the presumed head cannons on EP abilities, just what the show lets us see. The show has shown us that in addition to being the ones keeping agriculture stable, EPs tend to be the more creative race. The singers, writers, priests, and bakers of the world. I don't mean to be bigoted against the other races, but I like the idea of that. Pinkie invented that helicopter; anyone can use it. Not just a pony, but a griffon or a zebra, and maybe even a dragon if it were big enough. Everyone benefits from EPs' creativity.

Earth Ponies are great; they just get overshadowed by the other races. It's probably like "Fall Weather Friends" every day for them.

• Brohoof 2

It's because EPs don't have any obvious benefits. Why would you want to be a boring old EP when you can fly or do magic?

I'm not gonna use any of the presumed head cannons on EP abilities, just what the show lets us see. The show has shown us that in addition to being the ones keeping agriculture stable, EPs tend to be the more creative race. The singers, writers, priests, and bakers of the world. I don't mean to be bigoted against the other races, but I like the idea of that. Pinkie invented that helicopter; anyone can use it. Not just a pony, but a griffon or a zebra, and maybe even a dragon if it were big enough. Everyone benefits from EPs' creativity.

Earth Ponies are great; they just get overshadowed by the other races. It's probably like "Fall Weather Friends" every day for them.

though it could be that there more EP then other races

People like the idea of a pony being able to fly around, or preform magic at will in their RP's, vs just being a simple earth pony that can grow crops. Even people that don't RP and just want an OC for the sake of having an OC normally prefer a pegasus or unicorn over earth just simply because of they seemingly have more abilities than an earth pony.

because as strange as it is to say, earth ponies are almost too human, they can't fly, they can't do magic.

when someone creates an oc, to rolplay or write a fanfic, it's much more fun to use a unicorn or Pegasus.

you want to do things you can't in real life and it's easier to do that if you're not using an earth pony oc.

I mean it's not like they can't do wild and crazy things, just look at pinkie pie, but she isn't really the average earth pony, now is she?

Sooo, what I'm mostly gathering here is that most people simply don't find Earth Ponies interesting enough, compared to pegasi and unicorns.

If you really and truly invest in character creation, then the race will hardly matter as far as how interesting the characters themselves are. You can make a character interesting without slapping wings or a horn on.

So what if they can't fly? So what if they can't use magic? Earth Ponies have a deeper connection to the land, and seem to be better with their hooves overall. (Also, if you go by headcanon, they're stronger than the other races.) And you can make an Earth Pony character interesting with a little backstory, or just making them unique.

Look at my character, Galatea. She's an Earth Pony. But she's also an engineer from Equestria's future, that has created a sentient robotic pony and was ultimately responsible for herself, the robot pony Nano, and her adopted daughter Ariel ending up in present-day Equestria. Is that not interesting?

...Sorry if I came off kind of huffy there, but I really don't like when people call Earth Ponies 'boring' just because they don't have anything 'special' about them.

• Brohoof 3

...Sorry if I came off kind of huffy there, but I really don't like when people call Earth Ponies 'boring' just because they don't have anything 'special' about them.

No, you didn't come across as huffy to me.  As a fan of deep and compelling characterization, I never once lamented that Holden Caulfield lack a set of wings of super powers. To me a great character with proper motivation and backstory is far more important than focusing on magical attribution. For example, I am not a fan of Rarity because she is a Unicorn. Her focus is not really connected to her race. Same with Pinkie and Fluttershy, nothing about them screams Pegasus or Earth. These characters are basically perfect examples of how you develop characterization first and understand that race is secondary. 

O/C's in RP and fanfiction should be the same. If it makes sense for the character you are developing to be a Pegasus and it couldn't be a Unicorn or Earth, perfectly fine. I would actually challenge RP'ers and fic writers to try their hand at strong (no pun) Earth Pony character to help improve their skills. 

Aslo, Holden as a Pony is an Earth Pony. :wau:

f0a6164772fc20772958aa162498b61f-d613ufu

• Brohoof 1

Silly mud pony, don't you know that unicorns are the master race?

Kidding. Earth ponies are said to have more strength than the other races of ponies. Also, cultivation abilities. Both of those are cool, but if neither of those things appeal to you, it's probably not in your interest to have an Earth pony OC. Although Earth ponies are strong, there's really not anything they can do more than a human could. Pegasi and unicorns, on the other hand, have other worldly powers, making them interesting choices for people.

My OC's an alicorn, as you can see. If I had to go with one of the three races, though, I'd go with unicorn. Having magic powers just sounds like a lot more fun than flying or being strong.

Not huffy at all. In fact you make a perfectly valid point.

What makes a character important isn't exactly what they are in the physical sense, but what makes them tick. What is their personlity like? How did they develop to become that? What is their talent & passion, and is it related to their species?

For me, my main OC is a unicorn, but he's also a cartographer and map-maker, and as such his magic is useful in regards to the intricacies & all involved in the process. My second character, the earth pony Sojourner, is an archeologist, adventurer, and museum curator. She lacks magic, but she doesn't need it. It's not what she can't do that makes her interesting to me, but what she can do and the path that lead her to her current situation.

Earth ponies are awesome too. :D

• Brohoof 1

I have a unicorn OC, but your concern sparks up quite a theory for me. I think that people do not want earth ponies because they want something that is going to completely stand out. I could tell you that my reason why I chose a unicorn instead of an earth pony is because earth ponies tend to go for engineering, inventions, and hard work. I am more of an artist, going to college, and musician, therefore I have a unicorn personality. Someone with a pegasus personality would most likely be pilots or study weather. I do think those with an alicorn personality either want to dominate or have good knowledge about government and how to run it.