Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How come nopony has an earth pony OC?

Colorful Respawn

I have a unicorn OC, but your concern sparks up quite a theory for me. I think that people do not want earth ponies because they want something that is going to completely stand out. I could tell you that my reason why I chose a unicorn instead of an earth pony is because earth ponies tend to go for engineering, inventions, and hard work. I am more of an artist, going to college, and musician, therefore I have a unicorn personality. Someone with a pegasus personality would most likely be pilots or study weather. I do think those with an alicorn personality either want to dominate or have good knowledge about government and how to run it. 

See, I had a very similar thought process since my OC's talent is artistically inclined, but it's kind of interesting that I actually arrived at the thought of "well that would make him more interesting, since it's not expected".

Whenever I create an OC, I think about its what their traits are before I settle on their species. I happen to have seven earth pony OC's, five of them belonging in a family. I didn't make any of them unicorns or pegasi because I saw no reason to. Cirrus Curl and Thrillseeker are pegasi because it fits in with their backstories.

• Brohoof 1

I know some people do, but not a whole lot of them. They're mostly alicorns, pegasi, or unicorns. Brohoof to my earth pony bronies!

i have an earth pony OC. his name is winter he has stone called the stone of seasons

I just find them boring, for the reasons already stated by many.

I have seen one with plant control as a power, but I'd call that a mutation. I did RP with a Uni that had tthe same power, and it felt more natural as magic.

To not sound too insulting to people who prefer the race (And I really don't wanna sound that way anyway), maybe I can't be creative enough with one.

Edited by bronislav84

I think the majority of OCs are unicorns or pegasi because people are enticed by the prospect of flight or magic, which are exciting because they are not human abilities. However, ultimately, the merits of a character are their personality, backstory and development. Race should not be the defining trait. Personally, I think those that view earth pony OCs as 'boring' seem to be focusing on the 'flashy' attributes of their characters rather than the actual substance. If the difference between boring and interesting is the presence or absence of flight/magic, this indicates that perhaps the character needs to be fleshed out more. 

This is why it is often seen as more challenging to roleplay as an earth pony; you can't rely on flashy abilities to define your character.

Of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having unicorn and pegasi characters- I have some myself. But my main point is that your OC's race isn't their most important characteristic. Earth ponies are not automatically boring; it's up to you to make them special in your own way. :D

Edited by Salacberry
  • Brohoof 1

Does RP'ng as an earth pony or an Unicorn, or a Pegasi, or an Alicorn, really have allot of effect on a role players ability to role play? So long as the cop-out "It's magic?" Is not used? Role playing in general is an art form, many forget this fact or just get lazy.

Funny thing is I made my OC an earth pony because I couldn't decide between a pegasus and a unicorn, and I didn't want to go alicorn cause that's cliche ^_^ But in the end, I'm happy I made her an earth pony. You're right, more people would prefer to make unicorn, pegasus, or even alicorn OC's. That's simply because those types of ponies have special abilities tied to them, magic and flight. Earth ponies are kinda limited in that aspect but they're still special :)

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is I made my OC an earth pony because I couldn't decide between a pegasus and a unicorn, and I didn't want to go alicorn cause that's cliche ^_^ But in the end, I'm happy I made her an earth pony. You're right, more people would prefer to make unicorn, pegasus, or even alicorn OC's. That's simply because those types of ponies have special abilities tied to them, magic and flight. Earth ponies are kinda limited in that aspect but they're still special :)

Actually, I think that earth ponies do have a special ability, and that is super-strength. They use that ability to do engineering, work, and inventions. They build things so often. They can build a machine used to cast magic and spells, and they can also build jet packs for flying. On my initial post, I talked about how different ponies match up with different personalities, and earth ponies are the stronghold of the other species. 

I have an Earth Pony OC.

post-13690-0-71554400-1420347016_thumb.png

Anyway; from what I've seen, the amount of OCs for each species has been equal for the most part. There tends to be a little more Pegasi and Unicorns, but not by a significant amount. I personally like Earth Ponies because I'm lazy when drawing ponies because you can do some interesting things with the design as there aren't wings or horns obstructing anything from view to worry about (though, the same can be said about the other species in they get special design choices). The design also has less chance of looking clustered.

As for the personality, some of the most unique OCs I've seen have been from Earth Ponies (I've seen unique Pegasi and Unicorns too though), and you aren't restricted to things that would be expected of the other species (e.g. weather and magic related talents). Earth Ponies can fit into a lot of categories of talents.
Edited by Blue Moon

Both my OCs are unicorns ;_; I'm a terrible person

I'm currently attempting to teach myself to draw (goddam its hard) and when I can I think I may just do an earth pony.
Stylized one, not precisely the same as the show :3

My Oc is a earth who wanders place in search of a purpose or cause to live for. I think earth ponies are better Oc material they have to work a lot harder to achieve their , than for a Pegasus or Unicorn who have basically a buch abilities , while earth ponies only have strength and agricultural affinity.

With Unicorns, you get magic. The only limit is your imagination and what level of power you can give your character.

With Pegasi, you get the "Super fast flyer and crush on Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy, and/or lover of flying freely" experience.

With Earth Ponies... Big strong ponies? Generic average ponies/boring horses? The "I don't need magic to be cool" club?

With Unicorns, you get magic. The only limit is your imagination and what level of power you can give your character.

With Pegasi, you get the "Super fast flyer and crush on Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy, and/or lover of flying freely" experience.

With Earth Ponies... Big strong ponies? Generic average ponies/boring horses? The "I don't need magic to be cool" club?

You get to be the one pony no one expects, silently waiting for the right time to strike...