Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Jan animations shut down by hasbro/C&D

M'aiq the Liar

Wait.. Didn't JanAnimations receive legit consent to make some of those vids? including the one used for the documentary?

TBH this sounds like an over zealous lawyer that needs a swift kick to the nuts moreso than Hasbro themselves. Someone should contact hasbro itself regarding this and see where it goes. It wouldn't be the first time a companies sue happy lawyer went AWOL and just started C&D'ing everything they found on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Yes, I totally agree with that. If you can't make a simple tribute that gets everything down to the light hearted spirit of it's source material than what's next? Does someone singing karaoke count as stealing that song?

(Rhetorical question! Don't answer that!)

Don't worry pal you are saying this to someone who was born in Greece and is greek where the "Rhetory" was born.

My point is... There are copyrighted things like classic piano songs and the "Happy Birthday" song that are freely used. Right now to me they only seem to pick on the most famous and quality ones. Right now they only pick on animations.

Things is they have mentioned that they view fanart and the fandom. That was also the main reason about them making EQG. Because they wanted to give some Fan-Service. But how will they be able to know what their audience likes if they keep censoring paranoidly their opinion?

• Brohoof 1

While I understand that it would mean the loss of the rights to MLP for Hasbro, I have to ask, are they really doing justice or are they just trying to alienate us and destroy the fandom without even realizing it?

I enjoyed Button Mash and it's one of the best MLP fanworks ever to come out of the fandom, there's nothing wrong with it besides copyright infringement. This is one of the things that makes me question Hasbro when it comes to these CnD's, are they really doing what they think is right or are they just making things with them and the MLP fandom go from bad to worse? This is why I would just question whether or not Hasbro is staying true to the fandom.

While I understand that it would mean the loss of the rights to MLP for Hasbro

I highly doubt that, otherwise George Lucas lost star wars YEARS ago, and paramount star trek. Neither company has lost anything.

Fan works aren't uncommon on either of those fronts. I know of at least one whole fan series (actual people actors and all) made for star trek.

Hell, I don't see Valve sueing the Black Mesa project, instead they endorsed it and put it on steam! Its a complete remake of Valves Half Life 1 game. New voice work, all new models, recreated maps, sounds, music.. the WHOLE game completely rebuilt FOR FREE!

These days though the major thing is usually rogue lawyers. I've seen more than one instance where the company doesn't actually have the leash on its lawyers, and instead gives them autonomous control over the C&D send outs over infringement. Leading to the actual content holders never being aware whats going on.

TBH when someone is this capable and with such quality, the best move would actually be to LICENSE/ENDORSE/HIRE them to create their works as advertising of sorts. It keeps the licenses in check, and allows to content control as well (I.E. it'd keep actual questionable content out, and give the company control enough to do so). It'd cost virtually nothing to the company, and give the fans more to play with. Or if they did sink a little into it, they could have web spinoff series and new toy lines to sell as a result!

C&D's though is just bad publicity, and it will drive off the cash flow. I truly doubt that Hasbros own toy lines are making nearly as much as the licensed out content thats targeted toward the older fans. Especially when they are clearly toying with things in the show itself targeted so obviously at us.

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

Why not hire them and make button mash an online exclusive? I think that would be better.

Totally agree with that. JanAnimations has the talent, and what Hasbro did completely destroyed it all. As some users said above me, it was probably because of rogue lawyers. 

Well if he had asked permission first non of this would of happened, anyway I don't really care about this whole thing anyway.

Never watched his stuff and I was never interested in it. Though I am tired of the fandom saying "The fandom is being destroyed by Hasbro because they're greedy assholes who want nothing but money" without thinking that if Hasbro did indeed want more money they wouldn't be taking these down but doing the YouTube ownership thing which puts ads on the vids and all the money from those ads would go to them.

JanAnimations is like, the best, by far, pony animator in the entire fandom. I hope something like this don't let him down and stop making videos.

He should make a series with OC's, that way he wouldn't be tracked down by Hasbro. Now, I don't know, but I dare to say that C&D letter by Hasbro isn't as ...how to say it? believable perhaps? as a company, using youtube messaging system isn't as professional as I think, they should have handled this via emails.

While I understand that it would mean the loss of the rights to MLP for Hasbro, I have to ask, are they really doing justice or are they just trying to alienate us and destroy the fandom without even realizing it?

I enjoyed Button Mash and it's one of the best MLP fanworks ever to come out of the fandom, there's nothing wrong with it besides copyright infringement. This is one of the things that makes me question Hasbro when it comes to these CnD's, are they really doing what they think is right or are they just making things with them and the MLP fandom go from bad to worse? This is why I would just question whether or not Hasbro is staying true to the fandom.

What makes you think flagrant copyright infringement is acceptable?

Let's remember Hasbro isn't the fandom. It came first, we came second. They are a business and one that's well aware of the fanbase and our mutual relationship. You have to respect the rights of the source company and that fannon is never on equal terms of cannon legally. When fans think they can produce "rival" material on their own that mimics what Hasbro produces they will encounter this. You get permission and get liscenced if you're going to the Jan Animations level of quality. The official MLP comic books are not fanworks but non-cannon officiallly liscenced material done through Hasbro. People who sell posters, t-shirts, and merchandise need to be liscenced and pay royalties to Hasbro. Jan Animations may get a second chance and be able to work this out with Hasbro after the fact but they were too big to be ignored and THEY broke the copyright laws, not Hasbro. Other fannon works do not take the chances that Jan Animations did.  This was fan animation that was undistinguishable with the source animation and operated like the laws didn't exist. They got a lot of great videos out and we enjoyed them.

It sucks but Hasbro isn't out to "destroy the fandom".  People need to calm the buck down when fannon is flagrantly violating copyright and gets called on it. Laws still apply here.

I just noticed they took down some of Jan's no-mlp work

A reminder, Hasbro did not take down any of Jan Animation's videos. They sent a C&D letter and they complied by taking down their creations. Anything taken down, MLP or not, is something Jan Animations decided to do.  

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

A reminder, Hasbro did not take down any of Jan Animation's videos. They sent a C&D letter and they complied by taking down their creations. Anything taken down, MLP or not, is something Jan Animations decided to do.  

oh yeah.... but why did he take down the korean frog thing..... 

Whilst I'm disappointed that something like this occurred, I can't say it was entirely unexpected. JanAnimations & ShadyVOX both did such an excellent thing and was probably one of the best pieces of fan works that came out of this fandom. Granted, much of the problem actually arose from their intent to emulate the show to the degree that they did. In addition, to them being fairly high profile pieces of work. Really I was somewhat expecting this to come about.

Also as a side note, I'm somewhat distressed at the level of misinformation surrounding copyright law, please note I'm not claiming to be an expert here.  

Though I am tired of the fandom saying "The fandom is being destroyed by Hasbro because they're greedy assholes who want nothing but money" without thinking that if Hasbro did indeed want more money they wouldn't be taking these down but doing the YouTube ownership thing which puts ads on the vids and all the money from those ads would go to them.

Maybe thats what can be worked out with them. You never know. I would think that might be a good compromise as there likely isn't anything that's in Buttons Adventures that makes them look bad (unlike Fighting is Magic which is the opposite of the show's message). It just makes what's official and what's fan produced incredibly blurred. After all Pixar was a competitor with Disney before they got bought out and became one of their affiliate companies. Maybe Jan Animations can work something out if they are receptive and Hasbro is willing. Hasbro owns the properties so really they are the ones who have all the power.

That's YouTube, my disdain for YouTube has been growing for some time now, especially when Google took over, the comment section is a mess, and the cookies are screwed up, now I have begun to move over to Vimeo and Dailymotion, I can watch MLP - FiM there, when ever my Netflix becomes too slow, maybe by some chance our fandom could move to those sites instead, but maybe I am too optimistic, I thought Jan Animations was a talented animator, and deserved to shine on the internet, I wish I could make pony videos like that, and some day I shall, yet so long as the copyright law is being warped and manipulated, we are in for the fight for the internet, whether passive or active, I wish Jan Animations will comeback some way some how, I have come to love Button Mash, and he has left his legacy for the better on our fandom.   

Well if he had asked permission first non of this would of happened, anyway I don't really care about this whole thing anyway.

Never watched his stuff and I was never interested in it. Though I am tired of the fandom saying "The fandom is being destroyed by Hasbro because they're greedy assholes who want nothing but money" without thinking that if Hasbro did indeed want more money they wouldn't be taking these down but doing the YouTube ownership thing which puts ads on the vids and all the money from those ads would go to them.

If we start asking permission for every little thing we are doomed. Besides i doubt they would accept. Neither would they accept Molestia but thats another issue. Thing is in double rainboom the artist was already cooperating with Hasbro so it likely didnt get ignored. Regardless Hasbro asked for it to be taken down and it did. I wish i Hasbro was more accepting

... But they arent.

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but JanAnimations isn't making any profit from their videos, so how are they harming Hasbro? If they were making a profit off of Hasbro's intellectual property, then I could completely understand why Hasbro would shut them down, but I don't believe they are making any profit off of the videos, they are just for entertainment purposes.

Here is a crazy idea: Why don't Hasbro take these projects under its financial wing?

I mean, many people started liking the show because of the fans' works, so basically it's free advertisement. If Hasbro would go on that line, maybe both them, the fan artists and fans in general would benefit from the whole thing. :comeatus:

So?

Just look at how many companies make their work open source. (Ok, not that many I can name, but OSL for example was developed by Sony) While it may not benefit them directly, if they truly care for the field they work in (and just thier own profit) then works inspired by them should make them proud.

• Brohoof 1

As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but JanAnimations isn't making any profit from their videos, so how are they harming Hasbro? If they were making a profit off of Hasbro's intellectual property, then I could completely understand why Hasbro would shut them down, but I don't believe they are making any profit off of the videos, they are just for entertainment purposes.

Actually if you go to the ONLY video that's on their channel (this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pB5J_0Qms) It has an ad that plays before the video does. Thats means they are set up to make profits off advertising on their channel including the MLP vids they had before. That's a profit, plus technically Hasbro own those characters used and the trademarks. These are for entertainment and not education or news, so they do not qualify under "fair use" laws.  Jan Animations was legally in the wrong as are many videos on youtube that may get away with it for awhile...

• Brohoof 2

Actually if you go to the ONLY video that's on their channel (this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pB5J_0Qms) It has an ad that plays before the video does. Thats means they are set up to make profits off advertising on their channel including the MLP vids they had before. That's a profit, plus technically Hasbro own those characters used and the trademarks. These are for entertainment and not education or news, so they do not qualify under "fair use" laws.  Jan Animations was legally in the wrong as are many videos on youtube that may get away with it for awhile...

Okay, then in that case, I could understand why they are legally in the wrong. I still think it's too bad they were shut down, because I enjoyed that Button Mash video they made.

• Brohoof 1

Here is a crazy idea: Why don't Hasbro take these projects under its financial wing?

I mean, many people started liking the show because of the fans' works, so basically it's free advertisement. If Hasbro would go on that line, maybe both them, the fan artists and fans in general would benefit from the whole thing. :comeatus:

So?

Just look at how many companies make their work open source. (Ok, not that many I can name, but OSL for example was developed by Sony) While it may not benefit them directly, if they truly care for the field they work in (and just thier own profit) then works inspired by them should make them proud.

I hope they MIGHT be able to work something out but first Hasbro had to send the C&D to let them know that they couldn't proceed as they were. Maybe they CAN work things out if they talk it out and get liscenced. This just happened, there's plenty of directions this could still go.

Okay, then in that case, I could understand why they are legally in the wrong. I still think it's too bad they were shut down, because I enjoyed that Button Mash video they made.

Absolutely, this is still a very bad day :(

• Brohoof 1

Well Hasbro is taking down Jan animations WELL COME ON  :okiedokielokie:   I mean don't get me wrong they took down Ask princess Molestia (which is kinda reasonable) Fighting is magic and now well JAN ANIMATIONS Jan animations is one of the best animators of the fandom and once again this time I don't know why they are saying about taking it down  Mike Vogel is trying to reason with Hasbro and we don't know how it is going yet but we shall hope by heart that Hasbro does not remove Jan animations I mean why? is it fair? I feels like they are trying to rip the fandom apart I respect you Hasbro but you are going a (little) too far and I am not the only one madly sick of what you are doing please do not get me wrong so anyway please post what you guys think of this (stuff) 

• Brohoof 1