Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions of pop music?

StarSwirlTheBearded

I bet this thread already exists, but I couldn't find it.

I'm not too big into music, but I always hear pop music wherever I go.  I hate pop music and I don't see how anyone could like it.  My theory is that people don't care about the music as much as they do about what's in it.  Not only do I mean people (especially Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry), but also things in the videos.  I just watched parts of the music video for that Happy song and I saw Despicable Me minions in it.  All of the songs sound the same and it doesn't seem like there's as much talent in them as there is in other genres.

Anyways, do you like pop music?  Why/why not?

• Brohoof 1

Hoooo boy here we go.

I appreciate all kinds of music, simply. Give me baroque, give me classical. Give me cheesy power ballads from the 70s and 80s. Give me New-Wave and old school synthpop. Give me grunge. Give me old school RnB and neo-soul. Give me New Millenium boybands. Give me the new wave of dance music. I've even been getting into ragga/dancehall lately.

I love all music, and while I understand the hatred of pop music by many it still grates on me at times. Pop music is well composed, specifically it's composed and produced to not be too difficult to follow, which is why it's popular. Does simplicity make it any worse? That's a matter of opinion, of course, but I honestly sometimes want to challenge the detractors of pop music to go out and make a tune themselves. You think that's easy? Not even close man. There's a reason there are many music amateurs and few music professionals, and that's because you need to have skill and talent to produce any good song. Pop, or rock, or horrorcore grind garage whatever the fuck your weird eclectic genre that purposely uses scales that don't even exist is.

Long story short, I appreciate all music for what it is. All music takes work, it all takes skill, and it all takes taste. If you want to hate on pop, fine, but just consider the idea that it still has value to somebody out there.

• Brohoof 7

The one common element in pop that bugs the crap out of me: It's all about the lyrics. I don't particularly care for lyrics in most songs. I listen for the melodies, the beats and the instruments. Hell, I even like vocals in general...but lyrics? I can live without lyrics in all of the music I've ever listened to.

The reason I don't like pop as much is they don't particularly have much besides the lyrics. They've got the background music but that's all it really is. There's nothing special about the guitar or electronic sounds in them. It's not even about them being repetitive, as that's common in a lot of music, it just doesn't really stand out at all.

But of course, like most other music, I still find stuff I like in it. Things I like because they do have lyrics I like or a singer I enjoy listening to. Hell, my whole thing about the "background music" isn't even a rule, just a pattern I've witnessed so there's plenty of songs that don't have that.

I guess my only REAL issue with pop is that it can't really be put into any other genre...which is why it's in pop. That's how I've defined pop for a long time, even if the technical definition is "popular".

its alright, i would prefer metal over it. 

i think pop would be better if there was a bit more screaming and heavy music. also some swearing.

• Brohoof 4

Pop is usually very simple. Somtimes it is just a person singing over some dubstep.

It is not my kind of music, the most of pop songs just makes me feel stressed.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

@,like metal right? thats got variety. 

Most metal genres at least, depends on the subgenre.

The thing is that a lot of genres like rap, pop and some classical rock usually have little variety in each song.

For me at least it makes me feel stressed. When a song have a lot of variety, it gives more energy.

Edited by A CrayZ Cat

Most metal genres at least, depends on the subgenre.

The thing is that a lot of genres like rap, pop and some classical rock usually have little variety in each song.

For me at least it makes me feel stressed.

and its kinda boring when its all the same.

as where some bands, like SOAD, have different genre songs, metal, rock, i dont know the genre of the one im listening to, but im quite certain its neither rock or metal.

Can't wait for the metalheads/"classic rock" fans to bash pop music in this thread. I see it every other place around the internet.

____

Pop music is good, pop music is bad. It's like any other genre of music, you've got some good songs and some bad songs.

• Brohoof 2

It's an alright genre just like all the other genres. It has some good songs, some 'okay' songs, and some awful songs, but it's an entire genre so there's bound to be variety, whether good or bad. And constantly bashing pop music doesn't make you a special snowflake with 'superior' music taste like some seem to think.

• Brohoof 5

Michael Jackson, Madonna ummmmmm nope thats about it such a terrible genre i hate it almost as i do it's fans who act like its just a insightful meaningful style of music when nowadays some guy writes a basic techno beat that anyone with a keyboard can do with shitty lyrics most of the time not even written by the performer so in the end the person eg. PitBull, Nikki Minaj and so on only contribute 10% of the overall finished product and gain 90% of the profits so yeah i hate it. 

I rather Metal and rap over pop anyday.

Edited by Revertz

Depends on the era and what you mean by "pop" music.

For example, There's genres with the term "pop" in them, such as Synthpop and Futurepop, which I love. The 80's of course has a lot of fantastic Synthpop and New Wave artists.
As far as contemporary music goes, modern Synthpop that's progressed from the 80's stuff is mostly underground, and there's a lot of amazing artists out there. Like in the 80's, a lot of Synthpop is still associated with with the Goth scene because of it's relation to Post-Punk and New Wave.

If we're talking about "pop" as in today's "mainstream" music, then I genuinely can't stand it. However, Owl City is a fairly mainstream Synthpop/Elelctronia project that I heavily enjoy, and I also like some of Porcelain Black's tracks.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, pop music today (honestly, including the 80s and beyond here) doesn't typically do anything for me.

I'd say it's more because I find it to be excessively electronic than anything else. It sounds so artificial.

(Note: I'm not meaning to demean the skills it takes to do electronic music, I just personally think it doesn't sound good at all).

Edited by Envy

Depends on the decade.

60s/70s pop? YES. The Beach Boys, The Mamas and The Papas, Elton John, The Beatles (I consider them pop), The Miracles (techinacally RnB, but closer to pop), and so much more. Pop after that, unless we're talkin' Michael Jackson, is much less good. I think music to a downward turn once synths became accessible to everyone, instead of being incredibly expensive (e.g. the original synth, the Moog).

• Brohoof 1

For me, it also depends on which decades of pop, making the 70's and 80's my favorite decades of pop music.  I can barely listen to pop music today, sounds like it was all made in a factory or made using some kind of pop music Mad Libs book. 

Depends on the decade.

60s/70s pop? YES. The Beach Boys, The Mamas and The Papas, Elton John, The Beatles (I consider them pop), The Miracles (techinacally RnB, but closer to pop), and so much more. Pop after that, unless we're talkin' Michael Jackson, is much less good. I think music to a downward turn once synths became accessible to everyone, instead of being incredibly expensive (e.g. the original synth, the Moog).

I agree old pop is great, I'm into rock music but I consider Odessey and Oracle one of the greatest albums ever to be recorded.