Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which of the mane six would make the worst mom?

toonbat

As it stands, only one of the Mane 6 is in any way suited to become a mother, and that's Applejack. She's already been in a very supportive, nurturing relationship with Apple Bloom and it's a role she's relished. Add to that her strong sense of family connection and you definitely have maternal material.

Now, as to why the others would not make good mothers, from most suitable to least:

Next best would be Fluttershy. Any child of hers would never want for love and nurturing, but she might still be too reluctant to discipline her children when necessary, which will make them impossible as teenagers.

Next up, Twilight Sparkle. Like Applejack, she's already been in a pseudo-parental position, but hasn't acknowledged it as such like Applejack did. She sees Spike as an assistant first, family second, and isn't always that cognizant of Spike's feelings, or even his physical well being, because of her preoccupation with studying. As it is, the only time she even hinted that she loved Spike, she was scolding him.

After that, Rarity. She has some experience through looking after Sweetie Belle, but since her parents are still around, it's clear she sees the relationship as between siblings, not as a caregiver. She's more preoccupied with her career than Twilight is, and simply wouldn't be bothered. Luckily, she also wouldn't seek out becoming a mother for the same reason.

Pinkie Pie has no discipline herself, so it's not likely she'd instill any in her kids. Unlike Fluttershy, who would be reluctant to discipline her children, Pinkie would be joining the mayhem, if not starting it.

And, least suitable to be a mother, is Rainbow Dash. She's young, impulsive, and more self-centered than the rest. She has her plans, everything else is secondary. She might love her kids, but she'd ignore them until they cried. Even her relationship with Scootaloo is more as a role model rather than one with any real interest in her upbringing.

Now, for those who I said wouldn't make good mothers, I will say that that observation is conditional. All the ponies are depicted as being young adults in the show, and aren't yet ready to take that leap, so they could change by the time it happens to them, but as it stands, that's my humble opinion.

• Brohoof 1

For me it is Applejack. There is nothing wrong with protecting your family. But when you see her in Somepony to Watch Over Me, she will proctect her family from tripping on a ladybug.

Well...............definitely Pinkie Pie.  She'll drive everyone up the walls, to a point where jumping out of a window and running away as fast as you can becomes the only escape.  

However, Im surprised you haven't added the best, so I think the best would be both Fluttershy and Rarity.

Rarity. Rarity is my favorite pony, but I think she would be a terrible mother. She was the only pony to not have a reason why she doesn't want to foal sit the Cake twins. She may seem greedy to a lot of people, but if you pay attention, her expression implies that she's not good with kids. She is good with her sister, but she isn't the one raising her. Rarity would have a hard time changing diapers as well as cleaning up after the foals. Babies are messy! 

Maybe Rarity would be a great mother when the children are older, but she would be terrible when they are babies.

I would think teenage girls would love Rarity as their mother though. They don't have to go shopping for a spectacular dress. They would ask her to make one, and she would do it. 

• Brohoof 1

I would say either Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. But Pinkie already gotten experience from taking care of the baby Cakes, still I do not trust her entirelly  :okiedokielokie:

The worst mom has to be def Rainbow Dash, she would be able to care for her foal but she wouldn't be able to keep it safe because of how daring she is. Even a simple travel to the market can be dangerous for that foal if it is going with Rainbow Dash.

• 7 months later...

Pinkie Pie. I don't care about Baby Cakes. Crying yourself does not make kids behave. They will only feed off that energy and cry more. She still doesn't understand what kids are like.

• Brohoof 2

I think all of them except for AJ would be bad mother since they need to be a little more mature. I think Twilight would be too busy with royal duties, Pinkie would be partying too much, Rarity would be too busy with work, RD just No, and Fluttershy would give into the foals demands for everything making him/her spoiled. That's just my opinion. I think they need a little more time to mature before we can truthfully decide who would be ready.  

Best

1. Applejack - How can she not be the best!

2. Twilight Sparke - She would be kind of strict when it has to do with the kid's studies but encourages good organization.

3. Fluttershy - She's good at nurturing but she's way too much of a softie to lay down the law.

4. Rarity - I can see her being one of those crazy pagent moms on Toddlers and Tiaras.

5. Pinkie Pie - She would try to make her kid the coolest kid in their school by helping him/her throw big parties that involve cidar and encourage underage drinking. Judging by the Cake twins episode, she doesn't really know much responsibilty of taking care of a baby.

6. Rainbow Dash - As much as I love her and she's my favorite pony, some episodes pissed me off because Rainbow Dash was a bitch. She would try to make her kid as awesome as herself by putting him/her on a strict diet, forcing excersise as a chore or punishment. If not,

Rainbow Dash, by far. I see her as the 'plop the kid down in front of the TV with some mac and cheese while I run to the gym' kind of mom

Worst

Edited by RainbowPastel

All those who think RD would be a poor parent are forgetting one important thing.

She is the element of LOYALTY.

I can't see any pony who represented that element as being a bad parent.

• Brohoof 2

I can't imagine Rainbow Dash being a bad mother. Sure, she is more focused on her own goals, but she is willing to do anything for anybody, as well as the fact that she has shown a motherly side, both in Hurricane Fluttershy and Sleepless in Ponyville. She is the Element of Loyalty, after all.

I think that Pinkie Pie would make the worst mother. Sure, she knows about responsibility and has grown up with other siblings. Heck, she would even make a good mother. I just think the others would make better mothers.

Except for Rarity, I guess. Even if she's used to taking care of Sweetie Belle I wouldn't think she's fond of children after that one little moment in Baby Cakes.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe RD, because her laziness, attitude and etc. I don't dislike her character but she's too mean/cocky whatever to be a mom. And she's super lazy so... 

Okay you get my point.

Rarity strikes me as the least "motherly" of the Mane 6.  She has what seems to be a fairly strained relationship with her parents.  It's suggested that, while they aren't bad parents, their family isn't exactly the happiest.  In the one episode where they appeared, her parents seemed pretty aloof and more interested in their own activities than in Rarity's well-being.  This seems to have transferred to some extent to Rarity herself, where she is usually more interested in her own career than in making her sister happy.  I get the feeling that, were she to have a kid, she would often be much more frustrated with both having to take care of the kid and the constant distractions from her chosen profession, than she would get joy out of being a mother.  With some guidance and support from her friends, she COULD still be a good mother, but it would come harder to her than to pretty much anyone else in the Mane 6.  (And frankly, I know EXACTLY how that feels - my wife and I made a deliberate decision to not have kids largely because of those factors.)

I would actually put Rainbow Dash fairly high on the "motherly" list, and here's why: Despite being self-centered sometimes to the point of recklessness and massive egoism, Rainbow has shown a remarkable propensity for inspiring others, supporting them when they need her most (Fluttershy, Scootaloo and Tank), and taking responsibility for things when she needs to.  I think that, were she to have a foal, she would be confused and a little exasperated at first, but she would rise to the challenge and work to inspire her kid to be just as awesome as she is.  I'm afraid I just can't see the same thing happening with Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's rarity,she's more in herself and doesn't have much time about caring the children 

sometimes I hate the way she treat sweetie belle like in EP (sleepless in ponyville) when she made her sister pull the heavy camping cart and even pushing her sofa all the time  :okiedokielokie:

Capture.PNG

176596__UNOPT__.gif

poor little sweetie belle :(   

Edited by knuckles

I would say that either Pinkie or Dashie would make the worst parents. Dash is lazy, self-centered and doesn't handle responsibilities all too well. Pinkie is just... well... Pinkie. She would make an awesome Aunt though.

• Brohoof 1

Best to Worst

Fluttershy is either by far best or absolute worst.  It depends if she can bring herself to discipline the kids or lets them walk all over her, like Angel Bunny.  Kids have lots of friends, but only 2 parents & parents have to enforce limits & sometimes kids don't like that.  It's like Cam & Mitch on Modern Families.  Too worried about being liked.

Apple Jack She has basically raised Apple Bloom.  Good Mom, but a little too much helicopter (always hovering "Some Pony to Watch Over Me", for example)

Twilight.  She has basically raised Spike & does a fair job, + w CMCs in "Twilight Time".  A bit too inclined to get distracted by research, but over all pretty good.  W a baby, she would either loosen up about schedules or go nuts, though.

Pinkie  Well, she did better than I thought she would in "Baby Cakes", but that's a sprint, parenting is a marathon.  Easily wins title "Best Aunt EVER!", though.

Rarity  As others have pointed out, her relationship w Sweetie, she doesn't really balance a career & a child well.  + Too little patience w kids trying to help & messing up, too much the drama queen in a crisis (Voice Of Experience, here.  You got kids, there WILL be many crises)

Dash  Some people are just NOT cut out to be parents.  It doesn't make them bad people, but they should not have kids. 

Pinkie Pie. I dunno, I just think everyone else would be a better parent. Sure, Pinkie Pie throws the best birthday parties for her kids, but what else?

Pinkie Pie. I just wouldn't trust her with any children. She would keep feeding them junk food and make them go insane. We definitely don't need anymore craziness in Ponyville! ( not that I hate Pinkie, I just think she's a bit too crazy.)

• Brohoof 1

Seems Pinkie Pie is the worse mom of the mane six

but also her hyper,  her short attention span and well just

being a party pony just builds a case against her...

She could make a good aunt but i dont think a mom...

If we're talking about right now, right now, I don't think any of the Mane Six are really ready for motherhood, but RD and Pinkie would have the toughest time adjusting. Postpartum depression would hit Pinkie like a bitch, and Rainbow has too many plans and "what if's?" to be even thinking about having a kid right now, and they'd plague her for a while and get in the way of the more protective and nurturey side that she's developing.

That said, I can't see any of them being a bad mom so long as they waited for the right time. In Dash's case, this would be after retiring from professional flying and easing into a more chill lifestyle. Given how much she's grown up over the course of a few seasons, I'm sure she'd be much more prepared in about ten years :derp:. I can see her being the kind of mom who'd be ridiculously proud of everything her child did ^_^.

Honestly I don't know. I mean instinct would be to say Rainbow Dash or something, but when people/ponies have a kid sometimes the parent you expect to be a slack off actually steps up to the plate. I think any one of them has the potential to be a good parent. So I'm gonna say they all in their own way could be a great mother.