1. 1. What house were you sorted into?

• Hufflepuff
    • Slytherin
    • Gryffindor
    • Ravenclaw
  2. 2. Were you sorted on Pottermore?

• Yes
    • No

I always liked Slytherin because A. Snape was the coolest character ever and B. I found myself in a lot of the members of the house. I don't really "hate" the other houses. I think that the mistrust people place on Syltherin is ... not right... :ph34r:

tumblr_m5w0qfL7fH1qib1pp.png

• Brohoof 3

I'm probably a Ravenclaw or Slytherin, but I always say I'm a Hufflepuff so that I can make  Honey Badger jokes. :lol:  I haven't ever used Pottermore. I tried to get in early back in the day, but then I gave up and never went back. Maybe I should try it now. :huh: I'll go take the test now. Pottermore apparently doesn't allow you to choose our own username, so I refuse to use their website. I'm sticking with Hufflepuff.

Edited by MelancholicMemory
  • Brohoof 1

Total Ravenclaw right here, confirmed by Pottermore and further confirmed by seeing what I would have gotten answering all the possible questions (thanks to this awesome dude). My responses and reasoning below in spoilers, along with their evaluation of what house I'd go in from that in bold:

I was thrilled when I read the Ravenclaw common room message, it sounded like the best place ever (it even had a gorgeous nature view, satisfying my visual sensibilities) and I couldn't imagine fitting in in any other house. I still wonder though... what other house would I have been in, if it were not Ravenclaw? Just how much of a Ravenclaw am I, by the test's definitions? What, specifically, about me makes me Ravenclawish? I'm fascinated by this project and its possible ability to answer some of these questions. In other words: I IS SO EXCITE.

Since I didn't remember my original questions, I thought it would be fair to do the entire arsenal. I bolded the one I chose and I wrote an explanation below in italics.

QUESTION 1:

Which of the following would you most hate people to call you?

Ordinary

Ignorant

Cowardly

Selfish

Ordinary was easy to strike out. I don't care if I'm ordinary. Selfish wouldn't sting too badly, because I recognize I do tend to have selfish thoughts. I had a harder time choosing between cowardly and ignorant. It came down to how serious my reaction would be. If someone told me I was ignorant I'd withdraw from contributing to the area where the ignorance was stated and feel stupid. I'd be more hurt if somebody called me a coward though, because that's less easily amendable than ignorance. I am a nervous and hesitant person and so I am frequently afraid that I am a coward. A person calling me a coward confirms that fear.

Gryffindor.

After you have died, what would you most like people to do when they hear your name?

Miss you, but smile

Ask for more stories about your adventures

Think with admiration of your achievements

I don’t care what people think of me after I’m dead; it’s what they think of me while I’m alive that counts

I both dislike the spotlight and want to be remembered for my achievements. I would love to get a little tiny blip of recognition in the history books-one of the scientists who performed the experiments that discovered X, or discoverer of some lesser known molecules, or, in the context of Harry Potter, . Something that lasts and helps humankind in a little way. The first option is too impermeable, the second is not for my personality, and the last is even less permanent.

Ravenclaw (although to be fair, Gryffindors narrowly prefer it to "their" answer, adventures.) 

Given the choice, would you rather invent a potion that would guarantee you:

Love?

Glory?

Wisdom?

Power?

None of them! But wisdom would lead to the most positive consequences. Love is creepy and smells of brainwashing. Glory and power shove me into a position of fame and everyone would be watching me. No thanks, I like my autonomy.

Ravenclaw! (The funny thing is, I think the PM team made a huge mistake when deciding to make this a potion - everybody looks at it and thinks LOVE POTION, and given the pure-Puff weighting on 'love,' I really don't think it was what they were going for.) Power is definitely the least-favorite.

How would you like to be known to history?

The Wise

The Good

The Great

The Bold

If people just thought I was a genuinely good person... that would be a fantastic honor and a summit of my work on myself. That I would be good enough to merit that title would be fantastic.

Hufflepuff. (Question 1s are fairly self-explanatory.)

So your Q1s break down as 1 Gryff, 1 Puff, and 2 Claw.

QUESTION 2:

You enter an enchanted garden. What would you be most curious to examine first?

The silver leafed tree bearing golden apples

The fat red toadstools that appear to be talking to each other

The bubbling pool, in the depths of which something luminous is swirling

The statue of an old wizard with a strangely twinkling eye

The tree with golden apples sounds dangerous and so does the bubbling pool. I'd try to figure out the communication method of the toadstools, it'd be like talking to animals. Except with fungus. And I would be able to figure out how the garden worked.

Hufflepuff! (Hufflepuffs really, really love everything that has to do with Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures.) 

What kind of instrument most pleases your ear?

The violin

The trumpet

The piano

The drum

Drums! They got that energy and that bounce and rarely sound annoying.

Gryffindor (and it's the second-least-popular instrument, a fairly rare answer: most people go for piano or violin.) 

Four boxes are placed before you. Which would you try and open

The small tortoiseshell box, embellished with gold, inside which some small creature seems to be squeaking.

The gleaming jet black box with a silver lock and key, marked with a mysterious rune that you know to be the mark of Merlin.

The ornate golden casket, standing on clawed feet, whose inscription warns that both secret knowledge and unbearable temptation lie within.

The small pewter box, unassuming and plain, with a scratched message upon it that reads ‘I open only for the worthy.

I thought about this. The one that opens only for the worthy sounds the least dangerous, but I would get a nagging feeling from ignoring the knowledge, especially because it may be a test of character that gets the knowledge... and I would have failed that test because of my cowardliness (which, as said before, is not something I'd like to confirm). Besides, I would be, well, tempted by the secret information. I couldn't bear knowing that I don't know about whatever is inside. That's the real reason. The "test of character" thing is secretly just a justification for my fears to shut up.

Ravenclaw. It's all about the knowledge. (The pewter one is the Gryffindor box, despite sounding least-dangerous.) 

Four goblets are placed before you. Which would you choose to drink?

The foaming, frothing, silvery liquid that sparkles as though containing ground diamonds.

The smooth, thick, richly purple drink that gives off a delicious smell of chocolate and plums.

The golden liquid so bright that it hurts the eye, and which makes sunspots dance all around the room.

The mysterious black liquid that gleams like ink, and gives off fumes that make you see strange visions.

The one with diamonds! The chocolate one is obviously too good to be true. The golden one and the mysterious black liquid have bad effects that are too obvious (golden one probably burns you, black liquid gives you hallucinations). Meanwhile, the diamond drink is a mystery. 

Ravenclaw again, although I think it has less to do with the mystery of the drink and more with its elemental association with air, being a frothy silvery potion that seems fairly light (again, Hufflepuff's potion gets a connection to Herbology and to home/comfort through plums and chocolate; Gryffindor's potion is fire; Slytherin's is mysterious dark liquid.)

Once every century, the Flutterby bush produces flowers that adapt their scent to attract the unwary. If it lured you, it would smell of:

A crackling log fire

The sea

Fresh parchment

Home

The sea. I'd want to visit the shore.

Slytherin, because the House is always strongly associated with the element of water. 

So Q2 gives you 1 Gryff, 1 Slyth, 1 Puff, and 2 Claw answers.

QUESTION 3:

A troll has gone berserk in the Headmaster’s study at Hogwarts. It is about to smash, crush and tear several irreplaceable items and treasures, including a cure for dragon pox, which the Headmaster has nearly perfected; student records going back 1000 years and a mysterious handwritten book full of strange runes, believed to have belonged to Merlin. In which order would you rescue these objects from the troll’s club, if you could?

Select order:

Merlin’s Book/Student Records/Dragon Pox Cure

Merlin's book is a priceless artifact full of invaluable knowledge. The student records would also be irreplaceable, but not terribly useful for anything other than geneology. The dragon pox cure? Really? You could save two bits of history and you decide to pick the thing that could be brewed at any time? What a waste.

This is a mainly Slytherin answer with the possibility of throwing a bit of points to Ravenclaw and is also fairly rare, with only 68 of 562 people choosing that ordering (and only about 28 doing the other cure-last answer, with records first. FWIW, I think the cure is so popular because it's meant to represent/interpreted to mean the recipe for the cure, hence why cure-first is the most popular answer.) Slyths and Claws are both about the book, but Claws prefer to save the records last while Slyths go for cure-last. 

Which would you rather be:

Envied?

Imitated?

Trusted?

Praised?

Liked?

Feared?

I don't want people to be afraid of me or envy me, those are negative feelings! Imitation is annoying. Trust is a great thing, but its not a huge desire, maybe because I tend to be trusted most of the time already. Praised is okay, but does not signal a true like. I am typically unsure of whether people enjoy my presence or just tolerate it. I am always pleased to know that people like me.

Liked is coming up Slytherpuff. (Trusted is the most popular answer to this question by far, to the point where it's usually a bit quiz-breaking.) 

Which of the following do you find most difficult to deal with?

Hunger

Cold

Loneliness

Boredom

Being ignored

Because being ignored leads to loneliness, and loneliness leads to boredom. If I have nobody to talk to about ideas, I am both lonely and bored. I can also, however, be bored on my own. And the main reason why loneliness hurts is the lack of a person to share thoughts with, so it's a sort of boredom. Hunger and cold can be dealt with if I find things interesting enough to live with them. If I have nothing to learn or to think about, I am fundamentally bored.

Boredom, meanwhile, is Gryffindor/Slytherin, with a heavy emphasis on Gryffindor (44% of Gryffs pick this!) 

QUESTION 4:

What are you most looking forward to learning at Hogwarts? 

Apparition and Disapparition (being able to materialise and dematerialise at will)
Transfiguration (turning one object into another object)

Flying on a broomstick

Hexes and jinxes

All about magical creatures, and how to befriend/care for them
Secrets about the castle

Every area of magic I can

Why pick favorites when I want to know ALL THE THINGS?

Perfect Ravenclaw answer. I originally thought it threw points to Slytherin as a secondary, but it's not looking that way atm. (Ravenclaw's numbers here are overwhelming: 65% of Ravenclaws who got this question chose this answer.) 

If you could have any power, which would you choose?

The power to read minds

The power of invisibility

The power of superhuman strength

The power to speak to animals

The power to change the past

The power to change your appearance at will

Reading minds would be interesting as a one off thing to examine how subjective my perception is. But speaking to animals gets me more information in the long run. So many advancements in neuroscience I could make. *looks dreamy*

Hufflepuff primary, with the distinct likelihood that this is Ravenclaw's third-place superpower (after read minds and change appearance.) 

Which of the following would you most like to study?

Centaurs

Goblins

Merpeople

Ghosts

Vampires

Werewolves

Trolls

Astrology seems to work in Harry Potter. I want to know how.

Ravenclaw again, with some Gryffindor weight. (I believe the numbers are currently deceiving - although Gryffs actually choose centaurs more and Claws choose werewolves more, I'm fairly sure this is an artifact and that centaurs are primarily Ravenclaw, werewolves primarily Gryffindor. Ravenclaws have a tendency to choose a LOT of Ravenclaw answers and then not choose Ravenclaw answers for either Q3 or 4 or both.) 

QUESTION 5:

One of your house mates has cheated in a Hogwarts exam by using a Self-Spelling Quill. Now he has come top of the class in Charms, beating you into second place. Professor Flitwick is suspicious of what happened. He draws you to one side after his lesson and asks you whether or not your classmate used a forbidden quill. What do you do?

Lie and say you don’t know (but hope that somebody else tells Professor Flitwick the truth).

Tell Professor Flitwick that he ought to ask your classmate (and resolve to tell your classmate that if he doesn’t tell the truth, you will).

Tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If your classmate is prepared to win by cheating, he deserves to be found out. Also, as you are both in the same house, any points he loses will be regained by you, for coming first in his place.

You would not wait to be asked to tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If you knew that somebody was using a forbidden quill, you would tell the teacher before the exam started.

Hey, I'd like to give people a fair chance. While I don't like the confrontation I'd have to do with that person, it's better than angering them by not giving them a chance to redeem themselves. But I'm not going to let them get away with it if they continue to lie.

Gryffindor. (Should be noted that nobody likes the Slytherin choice of telling before the test, even the Slytherins.) 

You and two friends need to cross a bridge guarded by a river troll who insists on fighting one of you before he will let all of you pass. Do you:

Attempt to confuse the troll into letting all three of you pass without fighting?

Suggest drawing lots to decide which of you will fight?

Suggest that all three of you should fight (without telling the troll)?

Volunteer to fight?

I'm a non violent sort, although if my method failed I'd face the troll's wrath. Too bad there's no "Ask if anybody wants to fight, if nobody does, do the first option" choice. If one of my friends is the more daredevil-y or competitive sort, why not let him go ahead?

Ravenclaw. (Nonviolence FTW!)

Which road tempts you most?

The wide, sunny, grassy lane

The narrow, dark, lantern-lit alley

The twisting, leaf-strewn path through woods

The cobbled street lined with ancient buildings

The woodland path. Forests are pretty and it'd give me a quiet time to reflect.

Forests are essentially Gryffindor.

Which nightmare would frighten you most?

Standing on top of something very high and realizing suddenly that there are no hand- or footholds, nor any barrier to stop you falling

An eye at the keyhole of the dark, windowless room in which you are locked

Waking up to find that neither your friends nor your family have any idea who you are.

Being forced to speak in such a silly voice that hardly anyone can understand you, and everyone laughs at you

I always get ambushed in these sorts of dreams. I am reminded of a dream I had in a dark dungeon where monsters just kept coming out and I had to constantly run and lights would disappear... ugh.

This is an unfair question in that the eye nightmare is disproportionately popular (making up 41% of all answers.) It's Gryffindor, but reflects the problem of Gryffindor getting a ton of the most popular/appealing answers. (It hasn't been as much of a problem on your Sorting, but someone who picks cure-book-records, trusted, ghosts, werewolves, the eye nightmare...it's a pretty bad problem.) 

Late at night, walking alone down the street, you hear a peculiar cry that you believe to have a magical source. Do you:

Proceed with caution, keeping one hand on your concealed wand and an eye out for any disturbance?

Draw your wand and try to discover the source of the noise?

Draw your wand and stand your ground?

Withdraw into the shadows to await developments, while mentally reviewing the most appropriate defensive and offensive spells, should trouble occur?

(This was on my original quiz but I don't remember my answer.)

I am cautious and feeling secure about a situation is important for me.

Ravenclaw. 

A Muggle confronts you and says that they are sure you are a witch or wizard. Do you:

Ask what makes them think so?

Agree, and ask whether they’d like a free sample of a jinx?

Agree, and walk away, leaving them to wonder whether you are bluffing?

Tell them that you are worried about their mental health, and offer to call a doctor.

How could I be so sure they were a muggle? And besides, knowing why could give me pointers on stuff to avoid doing. 

Ravenclaw again (this answer is hugely popular, but doesn't screw up Sorting as badly as the nightmare for some reason: most people who pick the eye spread out across the Houses, but the ones who pick this cluster in Ravenclaw.)

So for Q5, you have 3 Ravenclaw, 3 Gryffindor answers.

QUESTION 6:

Dawn or dusk?

Dawn

Dusk

Dawn is inspirational and open ended. Dusk is the end of something. The sunrise gives hope and promise of a new day with time to spare.

Gryffindor/Ravenclaw. (Most people in general tend to prefer dusk, but there are narrow margins for dawn as Gryffinclaw: about a 60/40 split for Gryff and 55/45 for Ravenclaw.)

Moon or stars?

Moon

Stars

Stars have other planets circling them, perhaps with life. The moon is lifeless and familiar. Suns blaze with energy and power, the moon is inert.

Stars is Hufflepuff primary, Gryffindor secondary - but a larger percentage of Ravenclaws (71%) pick stars than Gryffindor (65%) even though Gryffindor gets points from stars and Ravenclaw doesn't! 

Forest or river?

Forest

River

I am used to living in a desert environment, and greenness and leafy trees sound like heaven.

Gryffinclaw, more Gryff than Claw. It's the most lopsided choice of any House for Gryffindors: given the choice, nearly 86% of Gryffs go for the forest. 

QUESTION 7:

Black or white?

Black

White

People like to say the dark side is cool, but I prefer the people who are simply doing what is good, no strings attached.

White is Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff (more Puff than Claw, with 85% of Puffs picking white vs. 63% of Claws.) 

Heads or tails?

Heads

Tails

Tails. I don't know why same rationale as right versus left, really. I'm just glad that for my real sorting hat quiz I got the "black verus white", which can actually be explained as something not arbitrary. 

Tails is Gryff/Slyth, with about 71% of each House picking it.

Left or right?

Left

Right

Left, because it feels less in your face and... big, I guess. Left has a more refined, elegant feel and sound. This wasn't a really rational answer.

Ravenclaw/Slytherin, more Claw than Slyth (83% of Claws pick it vs. almost 70% of Slyths.) 

QUESTION 8: (in case of a hat stall)

Which House would you rather belong to?

Gryffindor

Ravenclaw

Slytherin

Hufflepuff

Yep.

So there you have it. I'd guess you'd be prone to wildly varying Sortings, given the variance in questions 1 and 2 in particular. There's definitely a good amount of Ravenclaw, followed probably by Gryffindor (but could easily be thrown off by the fact that your Q3s tend Slytherin above all else - Slyth with a side of Gryff, Puff, and Claw, respectively.) But your 1/2/5/6 answers, in particular, don't go Slytherin very often (if at all - 1, 5, and 6 NEVER do, and 2 only once.) I doubt you'd Hatstall (Gryffinclaw would seem most likely but Gryffinclaw Hatstalls are pretty much impossible.) You definitely have solid 'Claw tendencies, but a secondary House gets harder to place because you show flickers of every House. (My gut would say Gryff, despite the preponderance of Slytherin question 3s.)

Hope that helps!

Oh, and my wand was 10 3/4", Dogwood (which I didn't expect but truly fits the best), unicorn hair core, and hard.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 3

I'd have to say that my Hogwarts house is, none other than Ravenclaw. I think of myself as a Ravenclaw because, my friends say and think that I am a Ravenclaw more then the other houses.

• Brohoof 1

Ra-ra-ra-RAVENCLAW!

I don't play Pottermore much anymore (only on London-like rainy days), but I know I'm a straight-up Ravenclaw, and my wand is a 10.3/4" black walnut, (EDIT Unyielding) unicorn-hair core.

Edited by ping111
  • Brohoof 1

Probably Ravenclaw. I'm all about knowledge, learning and experimenting just for the sake of finding new stuff out.

Haven't taken any quizzes for it or anything, though.

According to Pottermore I'm a Hufflepuff and I agree with that. I'd be proud to be in Hufflepuff, it needs some bad@$$ people and I'm up for the job ;). I do value loyalty and fairness.

To be fair though, depending on the day I can act very Gryffindor, Slytherin or Ravenclaw. It might be most accurate to say that I'm a nonsensical mixture of all the houses, just slightly more Hufflepuff than the others. It's kind of funny.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

I am Ravenclaw through and through! I always end up in Ravenclaw no matter what quiz I take. I don't hate any house. In fact the one big compliant I have about the Harry Potter series is we didn't see a more balanced representation of Slythrin, or Griffindor.

I would say Griffindor or Slytherin. The prior because I am fiercely loyal those my friends and would fight tooth and claw for them, the latter due to my love for chaos, insanity, and darkness.

Thus I shall merge the two and creation SlythenDor.

All Hail SlythenDor house!

img-1154367-1-tumblr_lk0th4MENQ1qzmopno1_500.jpg

Best part is, our house and dorm is portable so no one can ever spy on us!

Edited by DiscordAnarchy
  • Brohoof 3

...Apparently i am to be a slytherin, except im not arrogant at all or rich im pretty poor and dunno why it became it but snakes cool.

Wand info: core: dragon length: 12 1/2 inches wood: hazel :)

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure." 

img-1154583-1-tumblr_ltjdi2MylT1qhwqpi.p

Yeah. Luna Lovegood and I are besties.

I'm in Ravenclaw, and I own a rediculous amount of Ravenclaw apparel from when I visited Universal Studios in Orlando last year. I have a hat, a scarf, a second hat, a sweater, a tie, and robes. Like, the expensive, heavy robes, too. I'll just walk around campus in my billowing Ravenclaw robes, wand sticking out of my pocket...  Oh. My wand? I think it was Sycamore, Sycamore and Unicorn Tail Hair, Brittle,14 1/2 Inches. Well, it was Sycamore on my first account anyway, the one that I forgot the password to. On my new one, it's Alder, although I think the Sycamore description suits me better.

I haven't been on Pottermore in forever; I don't even remember my login info. I might need to make a new account.

Edited by Descant

Slytherin. It's a mess trying to sort out exactly what makes me a Slytherin (rather than a Gryffindor or Hufflepuff, which are tied for close seconds...), but basically I am driven by a desire for success. I like recognition for my skills and efforts. I don't want to be in a position of direct power, but I do have manipulative tendencies that emerge if I see a moral issue I think I can fix indirectly. 

My Gryffindor and Hufflepuff characteristics come from a desire to be of use to others (I'm protective and loyal, generally easy-going and a little, uh, slow) as well as being a firm believer in the golden rule. Do unto others, and such. I don't believe Slytherins are supposed to care about how other people feel when it comes to their own personal power and success, but I don't think everyone fits their house to a T, anyway. :3

• Brohoof 1

Ravenclaw, and the reason is very simple: I like being a smart*ss whenever it's possible without hurting someone's feelings. (wow this turned out to be exactly 100 characters not counting this part)

Edited by Zacharias

Me and mah friends were joking around bout this the other day. My one friend says that me and my crazy boyfriend should be part of HufflePuff. I have no clue why, but she says that it just fits us xD Anything to stay away from danger other than Griffindor or Slytherin!!!

Probably Hufflepuff.  I'm dumb and lazy and cowardly.  I might be evil if I weren't so lazy.  When I was younger though I was really smart and maybe a Ravenclaw.

Huffelpuff student's are kind gereous and respectful and so are you you are just missunderstanding if any pony gives you attatude call me and I'll come at them like a nun

post-12470-0-08535100-1360302284.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I was sorted into Ravenclaw on Pottermore. I joined the site just so I could take the official test. It happens to be my favourite house. :)

I got my favorite animal house... Wait a minute what if the sorting hat really can read our minds.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

House Slytherian... its not that we're that good, its just everybody else sucks.

I like Slytherian. To me the power hungry sorceror is one of the most interesting (and also tragic) characters in fantasy/science fiction, and Slytherian does definetly seem to embody that.

• Brohoof 1