Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Embarrassing/Funny/Awesome Moments When Buying MLP Merchandise

GXPBlast

@periodic Tikky The story would have been absolutely amazing if you would have knocked the little girl down and told her to mind her own business before she gets whats coming to her :)

@periodic Tikky The story would have been absolutely amazing if you would have knocked the little girl down and told her to mind her own business before she gets whats coming to her :)

Well, that would make me looks like a bad guy even though she seemed a bit like Diamond Tiara, but I am a nice guy so I'll just leave her be.  :lol:  

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, when I buy MLP merchandise, the store clerks don't seem to really care.

As someone who's spent more years behind a register than she cares to admit; we really don't.
  • Brohoof 2

It might not be so bad if you figured out a large amount of items you wanted and got quite a few at once. Have you ever had anything shipped to you from the states?

Well, there was this one time, when I was getting my lovely Fluttershy plush. It was at an anime shop, and I was slightly nervous, because I had just (at the time) stopped being a closet pegasister (I still am at school), and I was scared as to what reactions would be flying across the room.

And then, not long ago, I accidentally knocked a shelf and fell at a nearby Hot Topic, trying to reach my Twilight doll... XD 

• Brohoof 5

Well, there was this one time, when I was getting my lovely Fluttershy plush. It was at an anime shop, and I was slightly nervous, because I had just (at the time) stopped being a closet pegasister (I still am at school), and I was scared as to what reactions would be flying across the room.

And then, not long ago, I accidentally knocked a shelf and fell at a nearby Hot Topic, trying to reach my Twilight doll... XD

To be honest hot topic and an anime shop are two places you should feel less judged due to the nature of each buisness. Good for you having no problems buying things now.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I purchased a vynal scratch from hot topic about 2 weeks ago. Nowbim a fairly built individual and Its clear I take care of myself (not gloating just something to make the story make sense) So I bring it up to the counter and the gorgeous young woman at the counter eyes me kind of weirdly and asks if it's for me. With out even thinking I said yes and so is this comic and I grabbed one of the idw comics and slapped that down to. She laughed and told me I didn't look like a brony in which I replied that's funny you didn't look like a woman who would give your number to a brony, so looks like we were both deceived. To which I slid her a pen and a piece of receipt paper and we went to see Godzilla last weekend. Made my week so much better cuz it was a bad week. Sorry my story wasn't really embarrassing or funny just a proud moment for myself :P

Thats awesome man. Scored a date while getting some MLP merchandise is epic.

Also this thread is really to share any stories you had when purchasing MLP merchandise in public, it can be embarrassing, funny, or positive

Edited by GXPBlast

Well, there was that one time when my mom wanted to get me something for Christmas, and she knew I liked MLP, so I asked her to get that. But then I rethought and realized she would probably pick up the first thing that said "pony". So, I went to an FYE store and picked out 2 plushies: Pinkie and Fluttershy. My mom went to the register and I think I had my head down or something, trying not to be conspicuous. But then, the worst possible thing happened. The Fluttershy one had no tag, so the cashier didn't know what to ring up. He asked my mom what the name of it was, but she didn't know, so she turned to me. 

Literally, my response was IDENTICAL to that of Fluttershy's in the first episode. You know, the Fluttershy voice that goes like this and gets quieter and more embarrassed? That was an adventure...I still don't know if it was worth it.

• Brohoof 5

I walked up to the cashier (Who was a very cute girl) with my head held high and I told her, "Is there anymore of these? I think the 3 volume is missing." She looked stunned then she was giggling and she went into the storage room and brought out the one I asked for. Then I leave the place like a man.

Wow, I commend you for that! that's just awesome. If only I could do that. I just run out of the store like a stowaway pirate! 

(edited)

Well, I don't really buy a lot of pony stuff.

However, I did buy the whole of the MLP series at my local store. This was probably the most embarrassing day of my life.

I walked in, grabbed the DVD's and went to pay.

The cashier gave me a very weird look but did not ask any questions. However, I was so anxious that I did not wait for him to ask me the question, so I just told him that it was for a friend.

He did not believe me and nor did the guy behind me and they both started laughing. And then, my face went bright red and they laughed even more.

I felt so bad.  The problem is, since I pre-ordered the Daring Do Adventure Collection books (just out of pure curiosity), I am getting advertisements about ponies everywhere even if I am looking for something totally unrelated.

Which is why I don't like buying stuff off of Amazon.

Edited by boiteporte
  • Brohoof 4

Honestly, when I buy MLP merchandise, the store clerks don't seem to really care. 

Having never bought MLP merchandise before, this is the reaction I would expect.

If I go to the store and buy a video game, it's probably for me. If I go to the store and buy tampons, it's probably for my significant other. If I go to the store and buy a Matlock DVD, it's probably for my grandpa. If I go to the store and buy MLP stuff... well, why would that be any different?

• Brohoof 3

Here's a funny story.

So I had some extra money laying around and so I decided to go to Toys"R"Us and buy some ponies with it. A girl has to have more Pinkie Pie you know.

There I was, debating whether or not to buy one of those itty, bitty Funrise plushies of Pinkie. Then all the sudden, I turn my eyes to the main aisle and up are coming about half a dozen men, all around mid-twenties, early thirties. They were coming straight for me. My first thought really was, "Great, bronies..." and it was one of those days I didn't want anyone to bother me and I was standing there holding like a ton of Pinkie Pie merchandise... eeyeah... anyways!

So I readied myself for the innevitable... that they were there for... Monster High dolls? Alrighty then! Then I looked down at all my ponies and thought that well the boys can have their Monster High dolls and I can have my Pinkie Pie. Because at the end of the day...

I CAN HAVE ALL THE PIE! :lol:

Oh happy day!

Also if you know who is buying all the Pinkie Pie blind bags from every single brand new box of blind bags on the shelves, tell them that I and Rainbow Diamond Trixie Lulamoon said hello...  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 1

I ONLY bough merchandise thrice in my life so far, since in my junkass Venezuela I can't get that chance  >_> , any ways, I got these experiences on the three of them

-My first bunch of comics: I was looking for them, but I was embarrassed to ask the clerk (and the fact that I speak English heavily accented didn't helped  :blush: ), fortunately, he was quite friendly and polite, it didn't got far from a genuinely curiosity about the fandom  ^_^

-My Build a Bear Flutty Plushy: Hell, it took SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long to fill the plushy, and I just looked at it, avoiding looking at people. They might not were looking at me, but I didn't wanted to look at them anyway

-second bunch of comics: Nothing in particular happened, the clerk didn't asked any questions  B)

• Brohoof 2

In the UK merchandise is rare to come by unless in the pink aisle. I have bought blind bags and cards without flinching, I don't feel shame about the things I like.  :yay:

Being MLP is a show originally for little girls most merchandise is dominated by pink. However, in places like Hot Topic most pony merchandise is more universal and neutral in color for older audiences. But despite this its still perceived as a show for little girls by the majority of closed minded people.

I dont plan on buying pony merchandise any time soon. Mainly due to my parents finding out and being a closet brony. But even if I did buy merchandise, it would never be in person. Sometimes I will go to Hot Topic to get an idea of what I want to buy and if its sold online I would buy it that way. I would be embarrassed to go up to the register even at Hot Topic and buy MLP stuff.

To those who buy pony merchandise in person at a store such as Hot Topic or the Pink Aisle in most big box stores do you have any funny or embarrassing moments? Basically once you went up to the register to purchase your merchandise or just browsing the MLP part of the store anything.

To those who are closeted about being a brony, did you make up an excuse when asked why you bought MLP merchandise like "this is for my little sister/cousin"?

To those who were extremely embarrassed and were targeted by people in the store or just had an awkward moment, did that stop you from buying in person and switch to buying MLP stuff online only?

Finally, to those who had just funny moments why buying MLP merchandise, what exactly happened and did you meet any bronies in the process when browsing the aisle or making a purchase?

Ha Ha thats what i said before

Give it Time....post-25942-0-75012400-1400829736.png

• Brohoof 1

I've long given up giving a screaming blue pegasus buck what people think of my interests. I go into Toyworld, get what I want, pay and go. If anyone ever gives me grief (they haven't), they're just going to get an annoyed look and a "I like ponies, what's your problem?".

(edited)

Those clerks might be closet bronies since many close minded people would be all over you for being a guy and liking MLP being you know how the media paint us.

(Or they might of generally not cared if you were a brony)

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

I was at a comic book store, and they had some MLP toys and the most recent issue of the MLP comics, which I bought, but it wasn't really embarrassing because the girl at the register was actually wearing an MLP shirt! I was quite glad. Also, the store owner was there and saw me buying the stuff, but he told me not to feel bad because there's a lot of people who come in and buy this stuff, I'm not the only one. So that was really nice of him, trying to make sure I didn't feel uncomfortable or embarrassed about buying this stuff, although I wouldn't actually have felt embarrassed anyways. The only way I'd feel really embarrassed/awkward about buying pony merch would be if someone I knew that didn't know I was a brony and wasn't inclined to be totally understanding of that kind of stuff saw me buying pony stuff; this hasn't happened, and I hope it doesn't in the future, but if it does, whatever, I'll just say with dignity, yeah, I like My Little Pony, it's awesome. Deal with it.