Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has there ever been a death in MLP? Do you think there should be?

Not_active

(edited)

King Sombra and the Timberwolf King are good examples, but maybe the death of a protagonist, like a pony who the mane 6 saves Equestria and builds a friendship with. 

Edited by RaveLow
  • Brohoof 1

Well, Sombra could be considered a death depending. There has been the pretty subtle, but implied death of Applejacks parents in the past(i think this has even been confirmed by one of the writers or something, but I may be wrong here.) 

Other than that I don't believe there is any other really confirmed deaths in the show. 

I don't think that a kind of old age or disease type of death will really mostlikely be present in the show due to the fact that it is a kids show technically, and that might be pushing it with the rating.

Maybe i'm wrong though, they've slipped all kinds of stuff in the show, but I kind of doubt a death will be anything but implied or comically done.

• Brohoof 1

AJ's parents will probably play the part, but I'll say what I always say when it comes to this topic:

There hasn't been a death on the show(discounting Sombra), but if they did kill someone off, it depends on who dies and how they they die if they want to pull it off right

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty much already been stated here. Sombra was blown up into a million pieces, but being that he's a being of intense magical powers, a return probably isn't in the cards but is not out of the question. That would be the only villain they've actually offed in that fashion.

Also, Applejack's parents are heavily implied to be dead, though it was never stated in fact, the creators have stated it off-screen and subtly hinted at it in the show. The reason why it can't be done in-show is simply because Hasbro wouldn't allow it. Even so, absentee parents are a constant in the show. The same possibility could also be implied for the parents of Fluttershy, or possibly Rainbow Dash since her father was seen only in flashback, and especially for Scootaloo being a kid character with an absentee family, or this could just be a Pegasus thing.

• Brohoof 1

According to people who have read the comics(I will be one of them shortly enough), there is death in them. Otherwise, King Sombra and the Timberwolves are good examples, and are of the kind of death that suits the show. I don't know about the show's current staff, but Lauren Faust had absolutely no intention of doing anything more than subtly implying that the Apple parents weren't around anymore, and even then, she didn't actually confirm they were dead. I respect this series for not only pushing the boundary of what one would think could be done with a little girl's show about anthropomorphic ponies, but actually crashing through it with a semi-truck( that Wrecking Ball song is still in recent enough memory that I avoided using that analogy).

However, it still has limitations. Main characters, of course, cannot die, and it's doubtful that even regular cast members will, aside from maybe Granny Smith, but even that might be a little much. Villains can, and have died, but the way deaths have been depicted thus far is the extent to which I think they should be implemented in the series. Nothing overly violent. At the end of the day, it's still a little girl's show about anthropomorphic ponies, and if I want extreme violence and intense action, and/or fictional media where characters die, I know where to find it. I just don't think regular deaths suit this particular series.

As stated above, Sombra being blown up. Heavily inferred that Applejack's parents are dead. Plus the CMC interrupted a funeral (complete with coffin) during the Hearts and Hooves day episode.

• Brohoof 1

I think an episode about dealing with loss would be interesting. It's something everyone has to go through in life at some point. This show teaches so many lessons, and this would be a really good concept to cover, something like going over the 5 stages of grief and loss. 

This is very unlikely, but it's a concept I'd personally like to see at some point in the show. Maybe a backstory to what really happened to Applejack's parents.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Sombra counts as one since he was literally blown up by light.

AJ's parents could also count, even though there wasn't any mention.

It's weird because of Sibsy's tweet ... I don't know if it's canon or not :/

I personally count them, and am holding out for one line of dialog in an episode. And M.A.Larson only added some fuel to the fire for me with his comment last month at MLP-MSP

Also, maybe the Pinkie Clones?

Edited by Jeric

Well I think the Applejack's parents thing CAN be done, because it had been before. Anyone remember the episode of Rugrats "Mothers Day?". If they use that as a model then they could probably do something really great with it.

Well I think the Applejack's parents thing CAN be done, because it had been before. Anyone remember the episode of Rugrats "Mothers Day?". If they use that as a model then they could probably do something really great with it.

I completely forgot about that! Yes, that is a pretty good example of how to address a long ago off screen passing.

Well, I can't really add to the number of deaths in the actual show that others haven't mentioned yet, so yeah, Sombra and Applejack's parents would count as deaths.

Honestly, while I don't believe characters should be killed off left and right and definitely not in a violent way either, I do think there should be at least an episode focusing on the backstory and fate of Applejack's parents. As someone else mentioned, it would be a great way to teach the kids watching at home about how to deal with the loss of a loved one. Rugrats apparently did this, and so did Sesame Street, whose target audience is younger than MLP's, even. This is why I call BS on the writers for not actually addressing this topic on the show because it's been done before and quite well at that. The sad thing is, death and mourning doesn't sell toys (unless if your kid was goth or something), so Hasbro would never give the okay to do this. As it is now, I guess the show is handling the topic of death well enough by avoiding it.

Well, I can't really add to the number of deaths in the actual show that others haven't mentioned yet, so yeah, Sombra and Applejack's parents would count as deaths.

Honestly, while I don't believe characters should be killed off left and right and definitely not in a violent way either, I do think there should be at least an episode focusing on the backstory and fate of Applejack's parents. As someone else mentioned, it would be a great way to teach the kids watching at home about how to deal with the loss of a loved one. Rugrats apparently did this, and so did Sesame Street, whose target audience is younger than MLP's, even. This is why I call BS on the writers for not actually addressing this topic on the show because it's been done before and quite well at that. The sad thing is, death and mourning doesn't sell toys (unless if your kid was goth or something), so Hasbro would never give the okay to do this. As it is now, I guess the show is handling the topic of death well enough by avoiding it.

Also forgot about Mr. Hooper! I was done watching Sesame Street when that happened ... but wow that was a classy and highly respectful way the show handled that.

That dear friends is the Gold Standard of how TV can approach the topic of death of a loved one.

• Brohoof 1

Does G1 count? Because G1 Tirek and Grogar got blasted to smithereens in the original show!

Sure why not? 80's Hasbro was all about grim ends for some characters. Villains in MLP and Heroes in Transformers.

• Brohoof 1

i think, during the CMC " hearts and hooves" song (i dont know what it is called atm), when they say "he is much too old" they show a priest with a coffin in the back,which probably was a burial.