Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Brony as a Religion

jaime_lion

(edited)

So I am curious is there any other "brony religion" ideas /websites out there that are more complete and less "christiany" than this? I really dont want to get into religious thought and such here, I am just looking for similar fan things like this.

Thanks

Edited by Spoon
Inappropriate link removed.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, we have a real ordained Minister here that marries users to their Pony Soulmates, and he has a rotten banana to prove his divinity. Then there was this thing about Rarity ... apparently I'm obligated to start my own Faith. Come back in a few years. If all the users are wearing gems, dresses, and banished to the Moon ... you'll have your answer. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Any carrying-on with that sort of thing carries either the self-aware parody nature that the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Invisible Pink Unicorn, or believed with a similar attenuation to logic as a delusion.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a commissioned entertainment series produced from a toy franchise by a toys, games and plastics manufacturing conglomerate. To use the content the show as a pretext for a universal paradigm is a clear-cut example of unreasonably and illogically framing one's own presuppositions upon invention and imagination, rather than examination of evidence or argument.

The very fact that any amount of this "brony religion" would be framed on an existing religion just highlights how much it's just rebranding existing ideas (good or bad as they may be) with simply the details changed to be more appealing to the personal user. One might as well adopt Pride and Prejudice, Nineteen Eighty Four or The Very Hungry Caterpillar as a philosophy with this kind of logic.

That's my raging at the very idea of a "brony religion".

In my opinion, be it what it's worth, I really don't think philosophy of existence or religion should be brought up in My Little Pony or in derivatives like fan-fictions. They are matters far too complex to relate through its simplified world. Equestria is designed to convey a pleasurable-to-view adventure land with bright colors and characters learning morals in relatively simple ways.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

A pony themed religion.

is this legit?

:o 

here's an exert from their about page and a link

if you haven't heard.

http://celestianism.wordpress.com/

8ammnyb.png

it seems a little out there..... but so does any religious person when given the chance to say what ever they want, and to be honest I've seen stranger religions.

I just want to know if anypony else has heard about this or if your a part of this religion.

if your not part of their religion what do you think?

is it too far for a fandom? :huh: 

or do you just not care about it as long as no one is harmed?

:please: there is simply too much written for me to believe its some hoax or troll site.

Isn't there a difference between a religion and a cult? I mean I feel like they are praying to  someone like Celesta they are putting her in the place of God and that is like the biggest sin of all :|..Also they are changing the Bible into something else and to say what they want to make sure this is their "god". Even if it is for fun this could become bad in the end.  

This is why I have a problem with fandoms because sometimes they take things too far like they are with this.

• Brohoof 2

Isn't there a difference between a religion and a cult? I mean I feel like they are praying to  someone like Celesta they are putting her in the place of God and that is like the biggest sin of all :|..Also they are changing the Bible into something else and to say what they want to make sure this is their "god". Even if it is for fun this could become bad in the end.  

This is why I have a problem with fandoms because sometimes they take things too far like they are with this.

yes there is a difference, but I said religion instead of cult because cult sounded a little rude.

;) I was originally  going to name this post "my little cult" as a pun... but yeah xD

your right, it does seem to be playing off the bible since the writer is using words like psalm in post titles.

but since I'm not a christian (no offense) I'm not really bothered by it.  

thank you for the reply.  :)

• Brohoof 2

From what i've read, yes this is rather serious, i've seen quite a few members profess thier alegiance and faith to this new "religion"

I've seen one person do so through a post asking how they should tell their parents that they converted into it.

that's how I found out about it at least.

Yeah, its a joke. The writers have avoided any reference to religion in order to appeal to the widest possible audience. It worked. MLP is shown all over the Earth.

I did see a funeral in an episode once, but it was quick and showed no iconic symbols.

Edited by Silverhoof

yes there is a difference, but I said religion instead of cult because cult sounded a little rude.

;) I was originally  going to name this post "my little cult" as a pun... but yeah xD

your right, it does seem to be playing off the bible since the writer is using words like psalm in post titles.

but since I'm not a christian (no offense) I'm not really bothered by it.  

thank you for the reply.  :)

I am such a religious person its not even funny... LOL... I have mellowed out of the years cause I didn't wanna be a Bible thumper... YOU learn really fast that people stop listening to you if you become a Bible thumper..

BUT back to the main topic on hand, YES this is more like a cult then a religion and I am glad that you saw that first hand.... not many people would count such things as a cult.

• Brohoof 1

A quote from one of the threads linked on the site for its "founding arguments."

This is a satirical holy book based on the universe of MLP.

So yes it is indeed a joke.  It started apparently in /mlp/.  So that should tell you of its inherent farcical nature.

And I do agree that taking the joke to that extreme is quite offensive.

• Brohoof 1

A quote from one of the threads linked on the site for its "founding arguments."

So yes it is indeed a joke.  It started apparently in /mlp/.  So that should tell you of its inherent farcical nature.

And I do agree that taking the joke to that extreme is quite offensive.

This is about what I expected. That "about" section seemed to me to be rather tongue-in-cheek...

However, it is one of the many unquestionable rules of the internet that, if something is posted, at least one person will believe it. In fact I just saw an excellent example of this: someone made a very convincing-looking fake announcement from Apple that said that the iPhone 6 could be charged by microwaving it. Lo and Behold, twitter is now abuzz with cracked, fuming phones and exploding microwaves. 

This is fake. People will take it seriously. People will convert to this made-up faith. People will this it as an example of how idiotic our fandom is. None of this is avoidable, but we personally can choose to see things for what they are and not buy into silly hoaxes.

• Brohoof 4

Praying to fictional characters believing they can do something? This isn't the first time people did this. Christianity is big on this. They pray to a character from a book called "God" or other names, and they expect him to do things. This is the same with a lot of religions. 

• Brohoof 3

I like the idea of it. I don't believe in a god and have no religion, at least this religion is aware that it's god is fictional and just encourages moral ethics. Also just so I'm right this religion is Celestianism right? I heard of it on a thread yesterday.

• Brohoof 1