Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts

AnimeIsLife

Is it just me, or does everyone want Rainbow Dash to join the Wonderbolts for Season 5? Its obvious Spitfire wants Rainbow on the team and Soarin to go. Even in S4/E10, when Rainbow Dash is confronting Spitfire, she says they wanted a better flier for the games, so they tried to replace Soarin. Its also obvious they like her too. Why don't they just let Rainbow Dash in?

• Brohoof 4

Well, that is a good point. Soarin is part of the original group so just kicking him out right on the spot would be like murder. Hopefully in S5 something will happen to Soarin in which Rainbow can reserve a spot on the team. Heres to S5!

flying%20my%20little%20pony%20ponies%20r

• Brohoof 3

S5 would be premature. It'd be a great way to close her off when the series ends, but last I checked another 5 years of MLP was confirmed. Imagine 4 years of her being a Wonderbolt - it'd be like Twilicorn. Her development would have finished and there wouldn't be much else for her to do besides sit in the back and look pretty as her friends get all the episodes because they still have development left.

What is RD going to do for 4 more seasons if she accomplished her dreams and flew with Spitfire and the gang?

• Brohoof 4

S5 would be premature. It'd be a great way to close her off when the series ends, but last I checked another 5 years of MLP was confirmed. Imagine 4 years of her being a Wonderbolt - it'd be like Twilicorn. Her development would have finished and there wouldn't be much else for her to do besides sit in the back and look pretty as her friends get all the episodes because they still have development left.

What is RD going to do for 4 more seasons if she accomplished her dreams and flew with Spitfire and the gang?

That's right, but it's time, she went to the academy and was the best student, she already passed the Wonderbolts history test, and the Wonderbolts recognize her as one of the best fliers in Equestria (i think she's already better than them), but i don't think her character development will be complete once she does that, Twilight still had development in season 4, and all that development had to do with being a princess, the reason she was able to become a princess was because all her development as an unicorn was complete, most of RD's character development is already complete, becoming a Wonderbolt would open more opportunities for her to develop.

Now, i don't really want her to be a Wonderbolt in the end, being a Wonderbolt is more like her inspiration, but she doesn't need them to shine, in fact, in Rainbow Falls some random ponies recognize her, she's already famous. I want her to join them but after some time realize that maybe that's not her final purpose in life.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I'm thinking that Rainbow Dash will never join the Wonderbolts, it'll kinda be like a dream she really wanted, but she will realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be or something.

Infact, she's already been showing some of that in S3 and S4 with her experiences with the wonderbolt's it seems.

This is just my thoughts, but it's possible it could happen like that.

Although if she is to join the Wonderbolts, I think it should be a very close to end of the series thing, otherwise it'll feel kinda weird, I'm not against it happening though, just maybe not this soon, especially if we still have seasons after S5(Which i believe we do last time I checked.)

• Brohoof 1

Agree with ghost. RD is one of the known Dream Chasers of the series. They really need to explore other facets of the character. Facing and dealing with actual failure instead of the threat of failure should be her next arc.

Good lesson for the kiddies too.

:D

• Brohoof 3

I'm surprised she even wants to join at this point.  I know its been a childhood dream of hers but after all the epic adventures she has been on saving the world and all you would think that she would realize she's already awesome and doesn't need to be a Wonderbolt to be "special".

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

The Wonderbolts seem to be military or quasi military (like the Coast Guard).  There are probably legal requirements to be a member & Spitfire can't just wave them.  Plus, the others make a good point, she might be disillusioned about them & their "win at any cost" morality.

In addition, she is already a better flyer than them & more famous.  What do they bring to the party that she doesn't already have more of & better than them? 

I believe Rainbow Dash is part of the reserves if not she will be part of the Wonderbolt reserves (that history test was to get into the reserves). So there will be times she will be called into action and I can see her recruiting her friends to help her with a mission/campaign. I think Rainbow Dash isn't the type to be tied down to follow rules and regulations so she might prefer to be a reserve rather than a full-time member. I do think near the end of the show though she would become a permenant member possibly for something really big like for a big finale or something.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, I'm thinking that Rainbow Dash will never join the Wonderbolts, it'll kinda be like a dream she really wanted, but she will realize that it's not all it's cracked up to be or something.

Infact, she's already been showing some of that in S3 and S4 with her experiences with the wonderbolt's it seems.

This is just my thoughts, but it's possible it could happen like that.

Although if she is to join the Wonderbolts, I think it should be a very close to end of the series thing, otherwise it'll feel kinda weird, I'm not against it happening though, just maybe not this soon, especially if we still have seasons after S5(Which i believe we do last time I checked.)

Actually, to be honest, I'd LOVE for dash to never join the wonderbolts.

I rather would like dash to realize that she would rather focus on being an adventurer/hero like daring do, and that she more Idolized the wonderbolts as heroes rather than wanting to BE a stunt flier.

Kind of like how her dream was about fighting changelings, not being in a flight show and being cheered at in Do princeses dream of magical sheep?

• Brohoof 3

I always saw Rainbow as becoming captain of the 'bolts by the end of the movie.  I mean, given Spitfire's behavior in Rainbow Falls, she should be dishonorably discharged anyway.  (Which is a shame, because I really like Spitfire at the academy.)  Anyway, @Unlikeable Pony makes a good point, too.  I could see Rainbow being to much of an adventurer to be tied down to the 'bolts.  Rainbow is too good for the 'bolts, anyway.

I'm surprised she even wants to join at this point.  I know its been a childhood dream of hers but after all the epic adventures she has been on saving the world and all you would think that she would realize she's already awesome and doesn't need to be a Wonderbolt to be "special".

This is a great point.  Just hanging out with her friends, doing what she does, is so much more spectacular than anything she'd get out of the 'bolts.  Rainbow continuing to chase the Wonderbolt dream seems a little bit like Superman trying out for the World's Strongest Man competition, or maybe Mr. Universe, and then being bummed out when didn't get in.  Like, are you serious?  What's the point?

• Brohoof 1

But if Rainbow Dash joins the Wonderbolts won't we see less of her?

I feel she would be serving the Wonderbolts more than her friends. I'm sure the Wonderbolts are busy ponies with all the events they're invited to. Also she would probably need to keep up regular appearances for all the new recruits or when a recruit passes training they'd want her to be there for the ceremony. And if anything Rainbow Dash needs to be running the Wonderbolts as she's showed greater understanding to the current leaders. And come on, Rainbow Dash is pretty much a super hero/icon in the pony world now. She could easily win over a lot of hearts and minds for the Wonderbolts.

If they decide to let Rainbow Dash have her dream then it'd be cool. But I feel it comes with a lot of responsibility and is more of a full time commitment deal. A bit like joining the Army and dedicating yourself to serving their needs. Or she could create her own flight academy, now this would be interesting I think. If she got to start up her own flight school it could open up for a lot of great story telling and introduction to new and interesting characters.

But if Rainbow Dash joins the Wonderbolts won't we see less of her?

I feel she would be serving the Wonderbolts more than her friends. I'm sure the Wonderbolts are busy ponies with all the events they're invited to. Also she would probably need to keep up regular appearances for all the new recruits or when a recruit passes training they'd want her to be there for the ceremony. And if anything Rainbow Dash needs to be running the Wonderbolts as she's showed greater understanding to the current leaders. And come on, Rainbow Dash is pretty much a super hero/icon in the pony world now. She could easily win over a lot of hearts and minds for the Wonderbolts.

If they decide to let Rainbow Dash have her dream then it'd be cool. But I feel it comes with a lot of responsibility and is more of a full time commitment deal. A bit like joining the Army and dedicating yourself to serving their needs. Or she could create her own flight academy, now this would be interesting I think. If she got to start up her own flight school it could open up for a lot of great story telling and introduction to new and interesting characters.

This is most probably the reason for the "reserves" status they though up; they can have her "be" in the wonderbolts, maybe give her an episode to perform for them, and then have her go right back to normal ponyville stuff since she's not in active duty and required at all times.

I think it's interesting how a lot of the worried posts are word for word what people thought would happen when Twily became a princess ^_^. She won't have time to be around, it'd be a more suitable end to her character arc, she'll have nowhere to go afterwards, all her episodes will be about Wonderbolting, etc. Same shtick. There are legitimate concerns among these, but I don't think there's any reason to worry about RD's post-Wonderbolt development unless you think Twilight's development is also stuck in a dead end.

I don't know if I want her to be a Wonderbolt at all after Rainbow Falls (as a person and a flyer, she's too good for them -_- ) but I'm not against the writers quitting beating around the bush. We have no indicator that the show's ending anytime soon and I'm not interested in seeing the one character who's had an established goal from day one stuck with Ash Ketchum syndrome. Always working towards their dream, but never allowed to make meaningful progress. It's incredibly unsatisfying :\

If the leaked episode list is any indication

it ain't happening in S5

. There's plenty they can do with the idea, though. An episode about why Rainbow wants to join them so much, and why she's stuck to her goal despite all the frustration that's come with it. An(other) episode where she teaches Spitfire to not be a terrible teammate :mellow:. Have her decide she doesn't need them and move off to start her own team, with blackjack and reformed Lightning Dusts  B). Either way, I can't see it keeping her from being involved with others' episodes. The Mane Six's jobs and responsibilities always seem to evaporate magically unless they're relevant to the plot of an episode :derp:. And of course, it goes without saying that there's still plenty to explore with RD's character that has nothing to do with Wonderbolting at all.

• Brohoof 2

One thing about the wonderbolts: I honestly think they're kind of crappy as a team now that we've got time to see them. Soarin's cool, but he seems like the token "nice" teammate. Spitfire and Fleetfoot are jerks who don't seem to understand the concept of loyalty.

They were willing to throw soarin under the bus the second they got a slightly better flyer, tried to poach a flyer off a competing team (Which regardless of anything else is terrible sportsmanship), and spitfire's actions in Wonderbolt academy just seemed to imply a terrible personality and set of morals.

Like, if they weren't so tainted by now I could see them still being a good goal, but its like having a superhero in training find out that the justice league is a bunch of corporate sellouts and jerks.

Technically, Rainbow already has joined the Wonderbolts. She's just not a part of the competition circuit like Spitfire, Soarin, Fleetfoot, and some of the others are. However, we've seen other Reserve members working along side the Wonderbolts. The Reserves seem to work like the US Army Reserve - you're called into action as needed, rather than being a full time Wonderbolt. 

• Brohoof 1

As it's been pointed out, she already has.

Well I know that but I meant like a full-fledged one such as Soarin or Spitfire, or at least have another episode that follows up to her being accepted into the reserves.

• Brohoof 1

Well, that is a good point. Soarin is part of the original group so just kicking him out right on the spot would be like murder. Hopefully in S5 something will happen to Soarin in which Rainbow can reserve a spot on the team. Heres to S5!

img-3121931-1-flying%20my%20little%20pon

Soarin gets into an unfortunate "accident"