Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When Luna was banished, who controlled the moon?

Plato's Pony

I've been pondering this question for a very long time.  If Luna was on the moon for 1000 years, did she just control the moon from the moon or did Celestia just put up the sun while the moon was up?  Or was Equestria just partially covered in darkness for 1000 years?  

• Brohoof 1

Oh, lol.  I haven't really watched MLP before.   I just like looking at all the fan art and animations.  So, lol, that means Luna is kinda useless?

I've always thought that, too. If Celestia can do both, why do they need Luna? There's apparently no absolute NEED for her then, is there?

I would think that raising both the sun and the moon is a difficult and time consuming task for one pony to accomplish, given that Celestia most likely has other duties to attend to during the day.

With Luna back she can resume her duties of raising and lowering the moon, and take some of the burden off her sister. Plus, being one of the royal sisters herself, I am sure Luna also has princess things to do.

So no, I do not think Luna is at all useless.

• Brohoof 4

controlling the sun and moon takes up alot of energy. isn't that why equestria was shrouded in night for a loooong time? Celestia had to recover from her battle that she was forced to fight against Luna until she had the ability to raise the sun again. Also, Luna's cutie mark is the moon, therefore she and the moon are connected in a way, just as Celestia and the sun are connected. And, Luna not only raises the moon, she also delves into other ponies dreams... i wonder why?

I've always thought that, too. If Celestia can do both, why do they need Luna? There's apparently no absolute NEED for her then, is there?

I guess Luna is there to kind of back up Celestia.  Celestia has to raise both the sun AND the moon, while also keeping watch over the day AND night.  This would take a pretty large amount of energy, even for an alicorn.

Lol, 3 explanations at once

Actually the task of raising/lowering celestial bodies takes vast amounts of energy, several unis are needed for the task even. Alicorns are able to make up for this with their vast reserves of magical energy but over time that source can be depleted without proper recovery time. Even the legendary starswhirl the bearded was drained of all magic energy due to performing the same tasks the princesses perform. In fact it was he that "taught" (they were naturally able to but his being weakened and offering to teach them allowed them to unlock the ability (and their cms)) them to do so. 

By each being tied to mainly one celestial body it allows their personal reserves to recover from the workload. Kinda like to lumberjacks and a two handled saw. One lumberjack will tire quicker moving the saw back and fourth on his own where as two will tire slower and still have energy to do more of the job. 

And that's not taking in account of the nocturnal duties of the Equestrian Nightmother. She also does the dream walking as well as intervenes with nocturnal preds that threaten a pony community. It would be sodding near impossible for Tia to stay up around the clock her whole life. 

Edited by Cimarronboy
  • Brohoof 1

I was just thinking yesterday while I was re-watching the whole series as to how Celestia had the energy to raise both the sun and the moon? I guess when she lowered the sun for the moon she may have slept during the night, but still that's a lot of work. She truly is a hard worker. :P

I disagree, Luna's pretty important both for Celestia's mental well-being(and probably her physical well-being, I think it's easy to assume controlling both the sun and the moon took a lot out of her), as well as her ability to enter other ponies' dreams

I was just thinking yesterday while I was re-watching the whole series as to how Celestia had the energy to raise both the sun and the moon? I guess when she lowered the sun for the moon she may have slept during the night, but still that's a lot of work. She truly is a hard worker. :P

Well technically ponies see this action in runrise and sunset with 12 hrs apart. Since most of us are awake for longer then that (several hours after the sun goes down) that only means she's up a little early in the morning. Most of us could fiill in her and I'm sure she sleeps during the night like we do (while Luna does the night shift and has less engagement with the public accordingly).

Of course if you believe in some fimfiction accounts Equestria goes around the sun just like Earth and the Celestia / Luna thing is a big fabrication led by the alicorn to assert her monarchy and right to rule towards her subjects (and stops some warfare with rival kingdoms - Griffins, Dragons, etc)....If the cannon is Celestia's account then it's not ridiculous to count it all as a little while lie and a farfetched account. :P After all we all believed the earth was flat and then sun went around the earth too at one point.

• Brohoof 1

Keep in mind that raising the sun and moon must take a lot of power, and it's shown that magic makes ponies tired, so celestia could raise the moon, but during that time period she may not have been as powerful

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

• Brohoof 1

Celestia, but the comics showed Luna struggling to control the sun in Celestia's absence, meaning Celestia likely struggled similarly with the moon sometimes.

Just because you can doesn't mean it comes naturally to you.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

YES!

Thank you, because you know, that's what I've been saying all along!

Gravity.  :maud:

Oh wait...it was Celestia, huh.   :maud:

Well hold on now.  :maud:

img-3211417-1-uTR6ieBHTPQ.jpg

That's a big mare. Im sure it still counts as 'gravity' per say.  :maud:

Did you?

Did you just?

angry-eyes.gif

Did you just call Celestia fat!?

• Brohoof 1

YES!

Thank you, because you know, that's what I've been saying all along!

Did you?

Did you just?

angry-eyes.gif

Did you just call Celestia fat!?

b69be1131f375bea7e8fca5631fe257a.jpg

Now now, lets not jump to conclusions. If i was calling Celestia "fat", i would say so without hesitation.  :maud:

Celestia does move the sun does she not? So id say, she is 'gravity' in the sense of her relation to the sun. Her being a "big mare" has nothing to do with her ability to move a astronomical body of such a size around at will, she would need to be millions of times larger to even legitimately do such, silly.  :maud:

Short answer is Celestia.

Of course, both sisters have the ability to move the others celestial bodies. We see Luna do it twice in the comics, one of which was in Celestia's complete absence. She struggled with it, but I presume that's because she's not quite used to the amount of energy moving the sun would exert. Think of flexing a muscle that you haven't used, times 1,000. 

Then there's the fact that it's not really an innate thing. Before Celestia and Luna, the unicorns used to have the mantle of moving the sun and moon. Twilight Sparkle picked it up easily enough as well, suggesting that it may just be a certain amount of magical energy that's needed for the task.

So, yeah, no real flair, or advanced spells. Just... tugging cosmic objects through space. That's...pretty much it.