Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sweetie Belle's Parents Abandoned Her?

Tetrakemy

A thought just occurred. Does anyone remember seeing them in anything meaningful. I think one of them made a background appearance in a later episode and briefly in that inspiration episode, but basically, they ditched Sweetie Belle at rarities house and I am pretty sure she has been living there ever since. It has been MUCH longer than the time they said they planned to be vacationing.

There is no real indication of them actually parenting them and I sometimes think that it is only a matter of time before we never see them again ever. It would not be the first time that something dark like that would be hidden in MLP. 

Like Applejacks Dead parents for example!

Woah, woah, what?

Even if this could be a possibility, I doubt that this is the case. I've always been confused about were Sweetie lives.. with Rarity or parents? I think since Rarity has the boutique (which is also her house), she moved out of her parents' house. Maybe Sweetie Belle was upset that she was moving out, so she moved with Rarity and lives there now.

• Brohoof 1

They showed her bedroom at her parent's house in "One Bad Apple" in season 3.

Yep, and she has a big nice room.

Sweetie Belle lives with her parents in Ponyville, that's way she can sleep at Rarity's from time to time.

Edited by Osiria
  • Brohoof 5

(edited)

@Edit@ - Hmm...one bad apple you say? I will go take a look.

It would make a little sense thus far. Apple jacks entire family visited and the parents were left out completely. Thus they are dead and L. Faust stated once that while it may never be actually revealed it should remain implied that way. 

We know pinkie pies family is alive and loves her, But with fluttershy, rainbow and the others. Since their families are just not revealed yet, we cannot assume anything. But rarities parents just showed up for one episode. Made a brief background in two episodes and poof! Nothing. Heavily implied sweetie lives with rarity, its been MORE than a year since that time happened since sweetie belle moved in. 

Those parents are the only ones that are known but completely MIA as we know twilights parents exist, are alive, but are simply not living in the area. 

Edited by Ramsey the Goat

As SB's parents were seen (as indicated in the OP) with Sweetie Belle during Inpiration Manifestation, it is more likely that Sweetie occasionally stays with her big (adult mare) sister. I know this is an option for parents due to having two sister-in-laws who are much younger than my wife, and my own kid sister as well. Plenty of times I housed them all overnight, and not once did I think they were abandoned.

• Brohoof 7

Sweetie's parents did not abandon her. Her bedroom can be seen in One Bad Apple so she lives with her parents. As someone with an older sister, I used to stay with her from time to time when I was younger, obviously my parents did not abandon me. Besides, from the look in Sisterhooves Social, both Rarity and Sweetie seem close with their parents even though they're not with them at all times. 

• Brohoof 2

Sweetie Belle does spend a lot of time with her big sister, but as already noted, we see her at her home with her parents (or at least, her Dad fishing in front of the house) in One Bad Apple and Sweetie Belle and her parents together in Inspiration Manifestation.

It would make a little sense thus far. Apple jacks entire family visited and the parents were left out completely. Thus they are dead and L. Faust stated once that while it may never be actually revealed it should remain implied that way. 

We know pinkie pies family is alive and loves her, But with fluttershy, rainbow and the others. Since their families are just not revealed yet, we cannot assume anything. But rarities parents just showed up for one episode. Made a brief background in two episodes and poof! Nothing. Heavily implied sweetie lives with rarity, its been MORE than a year since that time happened since sweetie belle moved in. 

Those parents are the only ones that are known but completely MIA as we know twilights parents exist, are alive, but are simply not living in the area.

Sweetie Belle's bedroom scene in One Bad Apple suggests that she does live there.

Dashie's father was shown in Dashie's flashback of her fillyhood in Games Ponies Play. I think he is still alive and living in Cloudsdale, and I guess so are Fluttershy's parents.

It's hard to say, really.  A LOT of kid's cartoons just sort of ignore the existence of parents (A lot more don't, of course)  But, look at Pokémon.  Ashes mother was in a few episodes, I don't recall Ashe's father even being mentioned, Anna & Max's parents were mentioned a few times at most. Misti, AFAIK was like Venus & floated in on a wave one day.

SB's parents have probably gotten as much air time as Dash, Pinkie, & Twilight's combined. 

I think its just more of fact that Sweetie Belle goes to school in Ponyville and maybe wants to spend time with her sister.

Besides its not as if they sent Sweetie off to some boarding school. She has Rarity to look after her.  :D

Lives in Ponyville with her parents and sleeps occasionally at Rarity's Boutique The main time you see them in the episode Sister Hooves Social, She's dropped off because they're going on vacation, not that they're ditching her. Can't leave a young filly at home alone. might as well dump her at her sisters.

Edited by Timid Lullaby

I on't think she was abandoned, and there's a lot of people who a gree and have provided evidence

but I do wish they would show her parents more often, I mean them people wouldn't have to come to this conclusion.

and it wouldn't hurt for them to get fleshed out a little bit! I mean even Granny smith has had her spot in the lime light.

For plot convenience everyone lives in Ponyville or right next to it, except Aj who has relatives all over Equestria. It's all too likely that Sweetie just hangs out with Rarity a lot, not dissimilar from how she hangs out with the Crusaders all day as well, and sleeps over at her house a lot.

Consider this as well. When did we start seeing Sweetie Belle almost exclusively hanging out with Rarity whenever we saw her? After Sisterhooves Social back in Season 2 when Rarity and Sweetie overcame their differences and bonded further.

For the show, this means two different things:

• In-Universe, it means Sweetie will be hanging out with Rarity a -lot- more often. After all if I had an awesome older brother who I now got along with, of whom had moved out and lived close enough to walk over to, I'd hang out with him a few times a week, too.
  • Out of Universe, it means the writers can effectively make more episodes with Rarity and Sweetie, two of show's primary characters who will naturally get fucktons of sreentime, whilst simultaneously not needing to include their parents often as a reason for Sweetie being around. Not being even secondary characters, the writers want to use the parents as little as possible.
  • Brohoof 2

My headcanon is that while they're not actively bad parents, they're also not really the parental type, so they're happy to go out to parties, and swan off on holidays, whenever they get the opportunity, and leave Rarity to look after her little sister.

Rarity seems to have a very different personality and indeed accent from her parents, which seems to suggest they had very little influence on her upbringing either. She was more or less left to her own devices, but ended up turning out fine. They probably justify their approach to parenting Sweetie Belle using Rarity as an example - she turned out fine, therefore so will Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie Belle is much more similar to Rarity in how she acts than she is to her parents, which seems to suggest that Rarity's part in her upbringing plays a bigger and more important role than their parents' does.

But the parents have not completely abandoned her. I'm not sure if Rarity is supposed to still live with her parents too. (She seems to be shown to do so in one episode.) Sweetie Belle at least nominally still lives with the parents. But she spends most of her time being looked after by Rarity, and that may or may not be in the same house.

It's important to remember that Rarity's parents were written to be a parody of the annoying and embarrassing parents that one tries to not emulate. There's a thought that Rarity's whole persona is fake, or at least she actively works to project a certain image. Tabitha, her VA, uses a Boston Brahmin or an "old money", upper crust, New York accent; it's likely that Rarity's real accent is much more mundane. Yet, she's done it so long that she has become her persona.

• 1 month later...

I dunno the way i see it fillies can wonder about how they choose in equestria it is a pretty safe world. There certainly aren't any convicted pedophiles about so i pay no mind to Sweetie chillin' at Rarity's really maybe I should've been paying more attention...

fillies can wonder about how they choose in equestria it is a pretty safe world. There certainly aren't any convicted pedophiles about

No paedophiles. Just dragons, manticores, cockatrices, timberwolves, diamond dogs, chimeras, orthroses, and quarry eels. Perfectly safe.

Sweetie Belle parents are too busy in their city, i think... And Rarity too busy too with his friends (Mane 6) and job... Sweetie Belle already have friends, so Rarity doesn't so care what is going on with her sister.

Edited by GaussGunner

Sweetie Belle parents are too busy in their city, i think...

What do you mean "their city"? Rarity is Ponyville born and bred, so we can probably assume that her parents live in Ponyville too.

Edited by Vital Spark

What do you mean "their city"? Rarity is Ponyville born and bred, so we can probably assume that her parents live in Ponyville too.

I think, they living not in Ponyville, maybe in ManeHatten, on my opinion, like AppleJack aunt and uncle.