Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were you like 5 years ago?

origami

So 2018 would qualify as five years ago now? Oh dear, where does the time go...

It's tough to objectively say what I was like back in my early days of MLPF. I was quite eager back then, needless to say; MLP was honestly a huge novelty for me at that stage of my life. Getting into it felt bold back then, and something that had been a long time coming ever since my adolescence.

I have never been terribly ambitious, but I thought about the future quite a lot back then. I still do now, albeit with a lot more dread and indifference. I do often admire and miss my enthusiasm, but it was frankly unlike me to act in such a loud, ostentatious way. I would say that I am overall in a better place in my life now. Even so, I wish I could muster the energy required to get to a better place than I am now. In hindsight, 2020 specifically was truly a rotten year that all extinguished any drive I had to reach new heights. I do my best to maintain my bodily and mental health, but honestly, I feel as though I am running out of reasons to do so at my lowest points.

I was just entering my first semester of college at 19. I'd say I was a different person back then but like... Not to an extreme degree. I was a lot more of a recluse and was even more anxious than today. Both of those on account of things I'd only deal with in that 5 year span. I'd certainly say I was more sure of my future back then. Now? Meh. I don't know, it is what it is.

Overall not really that different of a person. Which is to be expected I guess, 19-24 isn't as major of a development period when compared to say 13-18.

Starting up a factory for my cousin. He took some really bad decisions and the project failed, ruining me, lol

Oh, I read wrong, my bad.

I was a better person. But entropy. So I'm way worse than before

Edited by Jesse Terrence

I was definitely more of a screw-up five years ago than now. I was still pretty shaken up after I had made a huge mistake on a site I used to frequent that got me and some friends of mine a ton of hate. While the people attacking us went way too far, I always wondered if what I was going through was a higher power's way of showing me how bad some of the people who were victims of circlejerking that I took part in to an extent on that site had it. I completely regret everything from that phase. Especially now that I've gotten to connect with Silky and her friends, seeing what a good job they do with creating such a positive environment that helps me really feel like I belong, I will never be going back to that phase. 

5 years ago I was 16 on my 3rd job, I was miserable. Went to school, came home for 30 minutes to get ready, then went to work for about 6 hours. I paid rent, I paid the car payment, I did it all and that felt nice but it was too much. I lost everything when I lost that job, my apartment, my car, my cats, my freedom. Grandma took me in and would tell me people stood outside our house waiting to hurt me, I knew it wasn't true but it didn't stop my anxiety. All I could think about was getting away anyway I could.

Now I have my own things and i don't have to worry like I used to, it feels so nice. If anyone reads this and feels stuck like I did, please wait I promise with time it gets better and things turn around. It might get worse before it gets better but that's what it takes sometimes < 3

It’s almost five years since I posted here. I suppose nothing much change except I think I have gotten worse. At the same time despite of all the bs- it continues to make me who I am today and I wouldn’t have it in any other way. 

pretty much the same :3 this is both a good and bad thing

I would reference posts by me at that time to evidence this fact, but they are prolly nsfw :P

I do like my early gens even more than I did then (which was not all that much) and have met some sweet ponyfolk on here (I hadn't joined back then) which led me to discord

beyond that, yup... pretty similar

Let's see, 2018: I was more significantly more awkward then than now (yes that's actually possible, I promise), pursuing a career path I didn't enjoy (software development), I was in worse shape (not awful but not great either), I was still living with my parents, had a shitty car from 2010 and had never had a relationship that lasted longer than six months.

All told my life wasn't the best back then. Not awful, but reflecting back like that makes me very grateful for where I am now. Here's to 5 years in the future!

6 hours ago, Savygriffs said:

Ughhhh, I was awful 5 years ago.

Extremely annoying and cringe.... It's no wonder nobody ever talked to me.

Same and still you guys all seem to like me. :dash:

I was more optimistic and naive, less emotionally stable but a more caring and empathetic person.

I'm more resilient and stable now, but less passionate, colder and more apathetic. I still have empathy, but I feel ground down by life trials and generally exhausted.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, SCS said:

I was more optimistic and naive, less emotionally stable but a more caring and empathetic person.

I'm more resilient and stable now, but less passionate, colder and more apathetic. I still have empathy, but I feel ground down by life trials and generally exhausted.

This is something that is quite relatable honestly. 

Let's see... 5 years ago... 2018?

Well, for starters, I was still practically a child, only 19. I was getting high all the time and wasn't really following any goals or ambitions, working in a sandwich shop I believe. I still had pretty serious anger issues and hadn't really developed as much compassion/empathy as I have now. Very selfish, self-centered, etc. Lots of stuff you could say was wrong with me. Since then I've really tried to tackle my internal struggles and I hope that I've improved a lot.

• Brohoof 1