Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn Mane six could happen

Buck Testa

Probably the most compelling argument I've heard so far actually. However the fact that royalty would cause problems for them is actually interesting fodder for stories wouldn't you think? How WOULD Rainbow Dash feel if she couldn't be a wonderbolt now because of royal obligations? Would she hate it? Would she sneak off? Maybe she could even find a solution to it, focusing her positions influence on the Wonderbolts, but not in the way she had originally intended. 

Applejack would probably have the biggest change in what she is used to out of all of them, she can't just go back to doing what she does, and  that would be something that would cause a lot of conflict for her. Conflict is great material for episodes and it allows for deeper insight into who they are as characters. 

If anything the problems it would cause makes me even more interested in this idea. 

Possibly interesting, but it would require stopping everything the show was built on previously and moving it in an entire different direction in order to build on it. I can't support that.

It could be nice, but here's my theory about alicorns (hear me out on this) I believe to become an alicorn, you need to have on of the two: a horn, or wings. If applejack or pinkie-pie ever became alicorn, they'd have no idea how to use a horn or wings. They'd have to learn basic magic AND flight! All twilight had to learn was flight, and she still has trouble flying. 

I think Rarity is next... not just because I like her the best but because of this in RR:

attachicon.gifbscap0000.jpg

That is a hint to the equal cutie mark episode in season 5. As of right now it has nothing to do with Alicorns. 

As for me I personally think them all being Alicorns is possible but the bit about Cadence being a pegasus previously may no longer be canon since a tweet sent by staff said the books were non canon to the show and I believe Lauren Faust only intended Twilight to be a princess. 

• Brohoof 1

Not when it comes to any dire, life-threatening situations. Hell, Princess Twilight Sparkle went an extra mile to show that the mane five are helplessly lost and clueless without Twilight.  

Not since season 4 changed the status quo. 

Although I disagree with you're ultimate conclusion about her being shoved to the front and the rest being delegated to sidekicks, I do see your point about the paradigm shift that happened in season 4 after she became an alicorn. I may make a thread exploring this idea. 

Rainbow Dash owes her key to Twilight entirely. She wouldn't have gotten it were it not for her guilt tripping

No. 

Talking with Twilght only confused her into indecision, and Rainbow Dash was already feeling guilty about her actions beforehand.

It was talking with Soarin, and ultimately Rainbow Dash's decision that earned her the kety.

• Brohoof 1

As for me I personally think them all being Alicorns is possible but the bit about Cadence being a pegasus previously may no longer be canon since a tweet sent by staff said the books were non canon to the show and I believe Lauren Faust only intended Twilight to be a princess. 

Wasn't that just Miller saying that the comic books were separate from the show (as in what the comics do has no effect on what they do in the show), while when Meghan and Amy were asked about Cadence they pointed to the Crystal Heart Spell book about Cadence's origin.

Feel like I should post this. From here:

https://desustorage.org/dl/httrack/EverfreeNetwork/news.everfree.net/2014/07/interview-with-mlp-comic-artist-andy-price/index.html

Reldan: Now I know in a couple cases it seems like there have been some spots where you’ve been able to create new ponies and fit them into the show. I think in the most recent arc [Refections] this is the first we’ve seen of actual art design of the actual Star Swirl the Bearded which is a character that’s referenced quite frequently on the show itself. Does that mean that going forward you would anticipate that that’s been the approved design for what the Star Swirl character would look like if he does show up on the show.

Andy Price: Since we’re in the middle of this arc and there’s still parts coming up I can’t really reveal anything. I will say that, on that note, a lot of people ask me, “Is the comic canon with the show?” And we’re pretty much of the opinion, and Hasbro is as well, that this is canonical with everything that’s gone before, until the show contradicts it. So we’re kinda second-tier canon.

So if Star Swirl wants to show up on the show and they decide, this design doesn’t work for us for whatever reason, and they decide to use a different design, that’s their prerogative – it’s their baby.

It’s their sandbox, we just get to play in it.

(edited)

I personally think that could possibly happen. Though the chances of that happening look pretty slim.

IF it were to happen, however, the writers would have to carefully make that ascension in a slow, steady and pleasant pace in order to make that concept work. It would not work at all if the alicorn ascension for the rest of the gang were to be rushed for whatever reason.

With that being said who knows what the writers will do for the future episodes for the rest of the series (IIRC they have plans for episodes leading to a Season 9!), eh?

Edited by Jonny Music

Why say no? I mean yes, the chances are pretty slim, but there's still a chance, either way. Unless someone has proof they went into the future and saw all the up and coming seasons, there is no right or wrong answer.

Rant end. :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

Wasn't that just Miller saying that the comic books were separate from the show (as in what the comics do has no effect on what they do in the show), while when Meghan and Amy were asked about Cadence they pointed to the Crystal Heart Spell book about Cadence's origin.

I'm not sure exactly. It could be either way now that I think about it. 

That is a hint to the equal cutie mark episode in season 5. As of right now it has nothing to do with Alicorns. 

Oh. I guess that makes my guess wrong then. Whoops! :)

• Brohoof 1

Yep. Jim said nothing about the comics being non-canon.

The short novels are still canon, and even the primary writer for them is writing an episode for Season 5.

• 1 year later...

Well, with the surface of a couple of news of possible alicorns mane6 toys, I think it could happen. In my personal opinion, I don't think it MUST happen, but I also think "why no?". After all, they have started this journey together

• Brohoof 2

The box of pandora has been opened with Cadance. After Twilight it doesn't matter anymore.

Alicorns are just the fourth pony race. Let the mane 5 be alicorns. Let the changelings be cursed alicorns later to be redeemed. It's not a bad thing anymore.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm 100% fine with the other 5 becoming alicorns; its actually how I wanted the series to end since S1 when I joined the fandom.
but that being said, its NOT going to happen. back in S4 I could have seen it happening, but since then its become increasingly obvious that its not going to occur. If it was, they'd be doing more focus and build up on the mane six's importance and having more of a focus on the map being actually important (and its basically been a WOW quest giver, with the only ponies who has actually been important to it, ironically, being Starlight glimmer despite not having a throne). As things stand though, its been less focus on the other 5 and more focus on twilight specifically as the important one; hell, the Alternate timeline scenarios of the S5 finale came off less as "the mane six are important" as "Twilight was important" since you see ALL of the other 5 in those timelines, but zero twilight, giving the impression less that the 6 getting together was important (since half the time they ARE together) and more "Twilight was the lynchpin of the universe, and the other five existed to help her reach her potential".

The last 2 two parters have had the other 5 as cameos more or less, and they've settled into a more down to earth slice of life style focus for the series from S5 to s6 so far-- That's not what one would expect if they were trying to build up the other 5 to becoming alicorns. Rather they'd have put focus on them in a more epic/important manner for equestria (more episodes like Do princesses dream of magical sheep, the map missions actually being required to keep equestria stable, ect.).

As such, at this point the possibilities of the other 5 being alicorns seems to be about .0000001% to me right now :P

The box of pandora has been opened with Cadance. After Twilight it doesn't matter anymore.

Alicorns are just the fourth pony race. Let the mane 5 be alicorns. Let the changelings be cursed alicorns later to be redeemed. It's not a bad thing anymore.

Hah, but we already got the Changelings origin (corrupted magical pool combined the DNA of blood drinking insects with Unicorn bones in a treep growing inside the pool to produce the changelings)

besides, I don't think Alicorns are that "normal" just because we have a few more: Flurry heart was so strong she ACCIDENTALLY destroyed a magical artifact just by screaming as a child: That indicates just how outside the norm alicorns are compared to a normal baby's magical surge (Pumpkin cake's surges were strong but not THAT strong). that's like saying that Having Aphrodite born made Zeus and hades just as normal as humans because there was one more God :P

I honestly don't mind more alicorns being introduced so long as they each have a PURPOSE. Like Cadence is the princess of love and has the Crystal heart, Celestia is the princess of the day, Luna the night, ect.
If they introduce more alicorns, each should have a domain and a purpose-- this honestly would keep them feeling unique IMO so long as each is connected to a fundamental aspect of the world (like an alicorn of the sea and an alicorn of the sky for example would be fine)

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2

I'm 100% fine with the other 5 becoming alicorns; its actually how I wanted the series to end since S1 when I joined the fandom.

but that being said, its NOT going to happen. back in S4 I could have seen it happening, but since then its become increasingly obvious that its not going to occur. If it was, they'd be doing more focus and build up on the mane six's importance and having more of a focus on the map being actually important (and its basically been a WOW quest giver, with the only ponies who has actually been important to it, ironically, being Starlight glimmer despite not having a throne). As things stand though, its been less focus on the other 5 and more focus on twilight specifically as the important one; hell, the Alternate timeline scenarios of the S5 finale came off less as "the mane six are important" as "Twilight was important" since you see ALL of the other 5 in those timelines, but zero twilight, giving the impression less that the 6 getting together was important (since half the time they ARE together) and more "Twilight was the lynchpin of the universe, and the other five existed to help her reach her potential".

I honestly don't mind more alicorns being introduced so long as they each have a PURPOSE. Like Cadence is the princess of love and has the Crystal heart, Celestia is the princess of the day, Luna the night, ect.

If they introduce more alicorns, each should have a domain and a purpose-- this honestly would keep them feeling unique IMO so long as each is connected to a fundamental aspect of the world (like an alicorn of the sea and an alicorn of the sky for example would be fine)

Still, about the Mane6's role is SO FAR, who knows if they decide to make them alicorns break the norm in a future season. Also, If they were to become alicorns, I don't think what they represent should be an obstacle, they overall could represent friendship, like a council or something  

(edited)

I doubt this will happen, even though I'd like to see it. Remember, this is My Little Pony: Pave the Road to Twilight's Ultimate Destiny, the others are just there to help her reach that. They get some perks being her friend and all, but that's just it, they remain underlings who are vastly below her, despite being just as important. 

I wish they would just ditch Twilight, have her become Celestia 2.0 or whatever and shift the focus to different characters.

Edited by CJPony

Considering Twilight would have to feel inevitably grief stricken once she outlives her friends or see them age instead of her, the main reason I think they would become alicorns is because they do spiritually represent the different elements of harmony, so a plot involving that might happen eventually.

Although I can already tell that this would cause a much bigger outrage than Twilight becoming an alicorn princess.

• Brohoof 1

I dunno if it'll happen just for the simple reason that it feels a little like overkill. I mean, it's not that it doesn't make sense, but I'm not sure if it'd be narratively satisfying. I mean, Twilicorn itself wasn't narratively satisfying, and there's not a lot of buildup to the other five being alicorns. 

I do think those mentioning that Twilight worked to become an alicorn are missing that she never actually mentioned wanting to be an alicorn princess. Her ambitions started and ended with learning, be it about magic, history, or friendship. For all we know, she became an alicorn princess entirely without her consent. Certainly fits how much she seems to enjoy it. 

• Brohoof 1

Have thought very positively on the idea of alicorn Mane 6 for quite a while and like, like all of Buck Testa's thoughts in their first post. It'd be lovely to see a council of six leaders who preside over elements not quite so inherently possibly at war with each other as the sun and moon. (Hells, somepony/ies will still have to move those things but if they're not the center of attention (Like Mane 6's elements weren't when Luna/Celestia had their fight) that fiasco prob won't happen again, at least.)  Sisters do have to retire sometime.

Yet~ Unlikeable Pony's points..

The last 2 two parters have had the other 5 as cameos more or less, and they've settled into a more down to earth slice of life style focus for the series from S5 to s6 so far-- That's not what one would expect if they were trying to build up the other 5 to becoming alicorns. Rather they'd have put focus on them in a more epic/important manner for equestria (more episodes like Do princesses dream of magical sheep, the map missions actually being required to keep equestria stable, ect.).

Agreed.  That agreement made, if MLP keeps running for more seasons, is it okay to hope that the focus could shift over to our other girls?  :rarity:  If the show does continue on for a long time, think it'd be very satisfying to have new alicorns, considering what that means for a pony.  And it's another lovely lesson: No one is a supporting character, we're all main, WE CAN ALL BE PRINCESSES YEAH.  Everyone being able to become a princess was what I took most from Twilight's ascension and think it's adorable.  If not specifically applicable IRL.  *waves that away*  Am hoping for a reality in which Mane 5 (Mane 6 with Starlight… really, if she would have moments with the others, we could start with Mane 7.) are much more than just supporters of Twiley.  Everyone has their own ultimate destiny.

Why does everyone still insist Twilight has become immortal? No in series reference ever hinted at this. Nobody is claiming Cadence is immortal. Isn't it possible that Celestia and Luna were born as immortals? If not that, isn't it possible that Celestia's magic was powerful enough to make them immortal while she waited for more Alicorns to arise?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why does everyone still insist Twilight has become immortal? No in series reference ever hinted at this. Nobody is claiming Cadence is immortal. Isn't it possible that Celestia and Luna were born as immortals? If not that, isn't it possible that Celestia's magic was powerful enough to make them immortal while she waited for more Alicorns to arise?

Because she's so TALL. Height is to longevity in the poniverse.  

No, but, unless am missing something, think you're right.  Sisters could've been immortal from the start, sure.  Suppose immortal Twiley is popular/possible, though, because….well, why not?  We know so little.  Isn't it just as likely Celestia and Luna were born immortal as becoming an alicorn makes one immortal, as far as we know?  And immortality is so fun, fun to think about and talk about, that would make it a popular idea, easily more than anything else.  Personally, if I had to pick an answer (And without having to, I wouldn't. Haven't.) would say none of them are immortal, just very long-lived, Twilight included; enough to make her nicely grief-stricken when she outlives her mortal, non-alicorn pals.  Because she's tall.  Whoo, guesses.  we know nothing.  or we do and i know nothing.

Edited by CrystalRarity
  • Brohoof 1

Because she's so TALL. Height is to longevity in the poniverse.  

No, but, unless am missing something, think you're right.  Sisters could've been immortal from the start, sure.  Suppose immortal Twiley is popular/possible, though, because….well, why not?  We know so little.  Isn't it just as likely Celestia and Luna were born immortal as becoming an alicorn makes one immortal, as far as we know?  And immortality is so fun, fun to think about and talk about, that would make it a popular idea, easily more than anything else.  Personally, if I had to pick an answer (And without having to, I wouldn't. Haven't.) would say none of them are immortal, just very long-lived, Twilight included; enough to make her nicely grief-stricken when she outlives her mortal, non-alicorn pals.  Because she's tall.  Whoo, guesses.  we know nothing.  or we do and i know nothing.

All I know s that Twilight herself seems not to agree...

• Brohoof 2