Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Official Pokémon Thread

Odyssey

I think you are mistaken of my intent. I say that as good thing not to the game's detriment.

Oh. Yeah, I'm bad with picking up things in text.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, um, lemme see if I can't translate:

IV = Individual Value = like the genes of a Pokemon. Determined when they are first encountered in the wild or first received as an Egg from the Day Care, Pokemon have six IVs, one for each stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed), that can range from a value of 0 to 31. Naturally, higher is better, because they offer a straight bonus to the stat in question.

For example, I know for a fact that a Timid Latios with perfect IVs in relevant stats (since he's a special attacker, this excludes the Attack stat) has a stat spread of 97/x/62/92/80/88 at level 30, with x standing in for the irrelevant Attack. If the stats screen displayed a Defense of 57, rather than 62, that would mean his Defense IV is somewhere between 14 and 16. Ultimately, at level 100, a Pokemon will receive a bonus to its stats equal to its IVs in those stats, so, 0 to 31, depending on the IVs.

IVs are incredibly easy to manipulate in generation six (X/Y/OR/AS). The Destiny Knot, a heretofore useless item (if the Pokemon holding it is infatuated, the foe is infatuated as well), ensures that five IVs chosen from two parent Pokemon are passed to the child, instead of the usual three, so long as one of the parents is holding it whilst in the Day Care. Well, as luck would have it, only five IVs are relevant at any given time, barring some strange circumstance. As such, if the parents possess in any combination the five perfect IVs (those with values of 31) you seek in the child, it is possible to breed a "pentaflawless" child. Of course, this will almost never happen, as there are twelve IVs to choose from between the two parents, and one is chosen randomly - remember, the Destiny Knot ensures five IVs are inherited, not all six. Therefore, it is usually necessary to breed generations of the Pokemon you seek to prevent general frustration. Why, even with two "quadraflawless" parents, it's still on the order of a 5% chance to receive a "pentaflawless" child!

This might seem a little weird, as this can result in breeding what are effectively brothers and sisters or parents and children, but, seeing as there are no negative effects to doing this, I don't really have any qualms with it, and like to think that that's how Pokemon "evolve" in a Darwinian sense.

SR'ing: Soft-resetting. L+R+Start brings you back to the title screen, for quick and easy rematches against Legendary Pokemon or what have you. Soft resetting comes in handy for trying to get competitive Legendaries in particular. As you know, Legendaries can't be bred, so the only way to get their IVs to be perfect is to reset until you catch one where they are. In Gen 6, all Legendaries automatically have three of their six IVs set to 31, preventing a massive amount of headaches across the world.

Natures are also pretty self-explanatory, and can be understood at a glance using the tables provided on Bulbapedia or some other similar site. A Timid nature increases Speed and decreases Attack by 10% each - perfect for a Latios, since again, he's a special attacker, and quite a speedy one at that, and doesn't much care for his Attack stat.

In terms of breeding, you can force the nature of a parent to be passed down to the child if you have that parent hold an Everstone. This mechanic is, unlike the Destiny Knot mechanic, quite old, dating back to Pokemon Emerald.

For Legendaries, you must have your party led by a Pokemon with Synchronize as its Ability to somewhat control the nature of the Legendary in question - you have a 50% chance of any Pokemon encountered in the wild to have the same nature as the Pokemon with Synchronize, so long as that Pokemon is leading the party. There are a couple of exceptions: Roaming Pokemon are unaffected, and for gift Pokemon (excluding Mystery Gifts), the chance rises to 100%.

Information dump, yeah!

Edited by Lateon

I don't know, a lot of that seems like it's reducing the pokemon to just piles of numbers instead of living creatures that even if many aren't sentient should be treated with dignity and respect.

Now I understand that's entirely coming from me. I was raised on the show long before I played the games so, "there's more to raising a pokemon than forcing it to evolve."

"My pokemon are my friends, not just tools."

And similar sentiments were nailed into my head from a very developmental age.

See below:

This might seem a little weird, as this can result in breeding what are effectively brothers and sisters or parents and children, but, seeing as there are no negative effects to doing this, I don't really have any qualms with it, and like to think that that's how Pokemon "evolve" in a Darwinian sense.

"No negative effects" in terms of stats doesn't mean the poor offspring's in-universe health isn't unaffected! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I understand that my way isn't everyone's way though.

Oh, of course I like to think of my Pokemon as my friends!

Lex, my Sylveon, doesn't have a perfect Defense IV. That doesn't mean I don't love him, and I feel no motivation to try and fix it by breeding another Eevee. The same goes for Corona, my Volcarona, and even Ruby, my Latias! To me, the numbers behind Pokemon really give me a sense that this is some advanced stuff I'm working with, but I've bonded with several members of my team such that I'm very reluctant to rotate them in and out. Ruby will always be part of my teams, no matter what - I don't care if her Defense IV is 20 or that she's Hasty (+Speed, -Defense) instead of Timid. She's taken down Mega Rayquaza before, all by herself, and that's good enough for me.

And, don't forget, all Pokemon are not just sentient, but sapient, too! That's why some Trainers, like N, can seemingly understand their Pokemon!

• Brohoof 1

"My pokemon are my friends, not just tools."
 Well, okay then, N. Maybe I should release my Pokémon and make this world black and white.

Well, okay then, N. Maybe I should release my Pokémon and make this world black and white.

N sort of had the right idea. People and Pokemon should be friends, but Ghetsis convinced him that all people are only capable of evil towards their Pokemon, and thus, they should not be allowed to bind them to their wills using Poke Balls. Would Team Rocket even exist if Pokemon couldn't be captured in Poke Balls? Would Pokemon willingly bond with people like that?

Just a couple of reasons why I find N to be such an interesting character, and why I enjoyed B/W's story so much.

• Brohoof 1

N sort of had the right idea. People and Pokemon should be friends, but Ghetsis convinced him that all people are only capable of evil towards their Pokemon, and thus, they should not be allowed to bind them to their wills using Poke Balls. Would Team Rocket even exist if Pokemon couldn't be captured in Poke Balls? Would Pokemon willingly bond with people like that?

Just a couple of reasons why I find N to be such an interesting character, and why I enjoyed B/W's story so much.

N is quite the quirky character, yeah.

• Brohoof 1

Well that depends on how the pokemon in question views the relationship. Certainly a trainer shouldn't abuse their pokemon but if the pokemon wants to battle, and it's clear that many of them do, why shouldn't a trainer be allowed to help them?

It's the whole "you teach me and I'll teach you" part. The pokemon climbs to levels it never could have without the trainer's guidance and the trainer learns things about themselves that their pokemon bring out in them.

It's the difference between a symbiotic relationship and a parasitic one.

pokemans_047.gif\

Parasitic!

The bond between a human and a Pokémon, like with any other animal, truly is something special. Only thing is they're digital instead of actual animals.

I mean, just look at this.

Wattson_and_Manectric.png

The two clearly enjoy being with each other (it's just too bad Wattson's Manecrtic wasn't seen in the games outside of Emerald.)

• Brohoof 1

Only thing is they're digital instead of actual animals.

The Mane Six and Spike aren't real, yet we care about them. One of my other teachers once said that "fictional doesn't mean something isn't real." 

I sometimes wish that Pokémon were real, but then I remember that'd mean living in a world with 3-foot-tall bees and other things like that.

• Brohoof 2

I sometimes wish that Pokémon were real, but then I remember that'd mean living in a world with 3-foot-tall bees and other things like that.

No worse than living in a world of manticores and dragons, except some of them would be on your side!

• Brohoof 1

Don't forget flying sea serpents or hydras that can easily destroy entire cities with no provocation whatsoever.

Don't forget flying sea serpents or hydras that can easily destroy entire cities with no provocation whatsoever.

Oh yeah, balloons that kidnap kids. Can't forget that.

• Brohoof 1

As a kid, I never would have noticed any of these.

Oh yeah, I know the Pokémon world is no paradise. It still is an incredibly rich world that blends fantasy and science fiction that I would not mind braving the dangers for just a living it. 

Oh yeah, balloons that kidnap kids. Can't forget that.

I think that is more in-universe folklore and something the species actually does.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Pokemon suddenly popped into existence in this world. Clearly, we don't have Poke Balls, so...would World War III actually happen?

Being an optimist, I don't think it would - Pokemon, as sapient creatures, wouldn't condone it. But what about us, the human half of the equation? What about the Legendaries, Elder and Minor alike?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Pokemon suddenly popped into existence in this world. Clearly, we don't have Poke Balls, so...would World War III actually happen?

Being an optimist, I don't think it would - Pokemon, as sapient creatures, wouldn't condone it. But what about us, the human half of the equation? What about the Legendaries, Elder and Minor alike?

I actually am writing a fanfiction about that. Thing is, their entrance into our world knocks out much of the world's communication, so everyone is kind of thrown back to pre-digital and in some cases pre-industrial environments as the pokemon run wild.

Who takes over? Well us! The people who played the game and know the rules of how pokemon work. Of course, that's a mixed bag then, saints and sinners are abound in every fandom after all.

I think after awhile our world would actually resemble the world of pokemon. They would just become a part of our lives. Industry, pets, transportation, emergency services. Anything that we'd do with pokemon has already been done in their own world. Which DOES have humans remember?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I've been writing a thing about the topic, too. Something about Arceus bringing every Pokemon to the world we live in from the world of Pokemon, plus a couple of humans, too, for unknown reasons. Then, four years after the fact, all of the Elder Legendaries (version mascots, etc.) become corrupted by a mysterious force and attack humans across the world, and it's up to a native human, the off-world humans and their Pokemon to set things right and discover where the evil truly lies. Scattered across the globe, they, and the disruptions in the balance of nature can only be tracked by one 'mon: Zygarde, the Order Pokemon. That's what's up next for my set of characters: finding him and convincing him to help.

I say "thing" because it started out as a word dump, and then, 130 pages later, I'm not entirely sure how far into it I am. I'm missing the beginning (sort of - it's in another document), and there are a few connecting bits I skipped to get to the things I was more looking forward to put to paper. I'm trying to save the Legendaries with more world-shattering powers for later (Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga, Palkia, etc.), mostly because I'm not entirely sure how I would write a battle with something that can control the flow of time itself. It was hard enough dealing with Yveltal, the embodiment of death, especially since I'm writing from the point of view of a Psychic type.

It's mostly for fun and as stress relief. I don't plan to post it in its entirety anywhere public...I might send it to some college friends and see what they think of it.

• Brohoof 2

Sounds pretty cool, Lateon and Steel Accord. Both would make interesting stories, from how this'll affect the world to the viewpoints of some people. I'm a fan of stories that have moments that universally affect the world, so I'd say keep up with it. It does sound like fun to write. :3

I do understand how you don't want to post it in public, though, especially if it's for fun. I myself am writing a Mystery Dungeon fan fiction about two Pokémon that hate each other, yet they're on the same Exploration Team. They go on very long adventures and are trying to look for information on an upcoming event involving Giratina. Since I am not the greatest at wiriting fan fiction and that many people are critical when it comes to Pokémon OCs/FanCharacters, I only show it to a small amount of people. I do draw a lot of pictures involving this Exploration Team, however. :P

• Brohoof 1

As a kid, I never would have noticed any of these.

What bothers me is they mentioned people eating Pokemon. It was proven in DPPT in the library that the Pokemon war ended in a treaty where humans agreed not to hunt/eat Pokemon and Pokemon agreed not to kill humans

What bothers me is they mentioned people eating Pokemon. It was proven in DPPT in the library that the Pokemon war ended in a treaty where humans agreed not to hunt/eat Pokemon and Pokemon agreed not to kill humans

They got a few things wrong, like Devon Corporation produces some more balls and Kalos has its own Pokéball factory, and that there are plenty of adults still around, but yeah. They also missed some other things, like the fact that legendaries that can destroy the world, Groudon and Kyogre, exist within the same plane as humans, Darkrai can put people into a permanent nightmare and the Japanese Dusknoir dex entry mentions that it takes people to "the underworld" instead of the ghost world. Oh, and how Team Rocket beat a Marowak to death.

Although that last one might be more fucked up than creepy.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Coming back to a previous topic...

Damn, Wonder Trading is a great way to pass the time. Sure, you get boned 75% of the time, but it really helps with filling out the Pokedex, even if it is an incredibly unreliable way to do it. My brother and I were Wonder Trading all this evening, and we both had one incredible trade each:

Me: Shiny legitimate level 1 6 IV Modest Squirtle, knows Water Spout (!!!) and Ice Beam

Him: Shiny legitimate level 100 6 IV Calm Prankster Sableye, knows Recover (!!!), Will-O-Wisp, Foul Play, and Knock Off.

I got a couple of other goodies, as did he, like a Dratini that knew Extreme Speed, a Kadabra that evolved into Alakazam, and a Porygon that evolved into Porygon2, but those two take the cake.

Edited by Lateon