Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Use of "Somepony" online and in public

Soulwax

I wouldn't do it personally, just because it feels weird and out-of-place. If I heard someone saying everypony I'd think it was more funny than 'cringey'.

I occasionally do it informally on this forum. Most of the time I use normal pronouns, though.

I don't find the pronouns cringeworthy, but it would be weird to use them around non-bronies.

I've never been a big fan of everypony anyway. Its unnecessary and it leaves out poor 'ol Spike. 

It doesn't bother me in a place like this that's meant for pony discussion. I would caution people not to say things like everypony to people who arn't into MLP, though. Not because you should be ashamed of liking ponies, mind you. I have this friend who is constantly referencing South Park to me, and I don't watch South Park. It's incredibly irritating to have someone reference something to you that they KNOW you don't follow, so I recommend against ponyisms towards people who aren't into it. 

I honestly hate when the show refers to even non-ponies as "somepony" or "everypony". For example at the start of PYHD Fluttershy is feeding her anals and says "good nutrition for everypony" or something like that.

"feeding her anals" -- That typo is disgusting. happy.png

Anyway, in Over A Barrel, Rainbow Dash said, "Nobody tricks Rainbow Dash and gets away with it." In the same episode Twilight said, "Why won't anybody be rational and reasonable?!"

They spoke using the correct pronouns in that case, because they were speaking of both ponies and buffalo.

The usage may depend on the writer of the episode.

Edited by MysteriousGrepper

I've  gotten used to it, but it took me awhile to finally get over it. I still try to refrain from using the word myself, out of fear I might use it out of context in public, when I meant to say "everybody"

"feeding her anals" -- That typo is disgusting. img-3711715-1-happy.png

Anyway, in Over A Barrel, Rainbow Dash said, "Nobody tricks Rainbow Dash and gets away with it." In the same episode Twilight said, "Why won't anybody be rational and reasonable?!"

They spoke using the correct pronouns in that case, because they were speaking of both ponies and buffalo.

The usage may depend on the writer of the episode.

Yea might just be a typo by the writers, and since VAs just read and emote they would say it how it's written. I also caught the use of "anybody" in the episode where Scootaloo has dreams about the Headless Horse. AJ did it. Sleepless in Ponyville I think?

I would totally do this at pony conventions. It just sounds proper. But yea my reply to this thread is above.

Edited by bronislav84
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's fun to say it every once in a while online, even though my OC is not a pony.. My fiancce and I call each other special someponies all the time when we are alone.  I certainly wouldn't say to anyone else in public unless they specifically mentioned they like it or if they are cosplaying at that very moment.

No way, I've only seen one person do it (not from a big brony area) and I thought it was awesome, talked to her for ages because it was pretty funny. I won't lie, it's slipped out of me before and that made me cringe but if I saw someone else do it I find that amazing

I've never said it with vocal words before, but I use it on here sometimes. I think it's a cute little thing to say! Nothing I'd go around saying all the time though. Only when it's appropriate.

Funny enough though, I've heard the word so much, that I almost did say it in the form of a question once IRL. I was asking where someone was, but instead of someone, I nearly said "somepony." x3 I caught myself just before pronouncing the "p." It was funny.

Edited by Felix

• 3 weeks later...

It has always been something that has bothered me for some reason. I guess it has to due with the fact that we aren't exactly in the show so it doesn't make sense. I'm obviously fine with it though in an RP. But in real life or online it just seems odd, especially since not everyone is bound to be a brony.

Not if it fits the place or if someone is talking to another one who also says it. But when someone says it to others who don't get it or do not use it.... well... that is pretty cringeworthy  :rarity: