Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Everyone's Opinion of The Flim-Flam Brothers?

TopQuark

Flim-Flam-Brothers-the-flim-flam-brother

There is just something so charming about Flim and Flam that I usually find myself wanting to be conned by them. But on my travels across the Internet, I found that many hate them with a passion. So I would like to see the general fandom's opinion on them, whether positive or negative.

• Brohoof 2

They suck and they're sorta kinda really my least favorite characters in the show

• Brohoof 2

They're snake oil salesponies. What's not to hate? I don't see much of a difference between tricking ponies out of their money and theft. To me, they are lowly thieves with only a veneer of class. I would not do business with them no matter how pathetically they begged because who is to say it isn't just another act?

They would be better off considering a career in showbusiness.

• Brohoof 3

I really don't HATE them, but I don't really like them either. :l I'm willing to look past that in anything though, and find some good. They do seem to be friendly to each other, eliminating a bias that brothers hassle each other is one thing I can think that's nice... Trying hard to think of something else...

• Brohoof 1

They're the perfect opportunity for duet comedy but they're used as the butt of every stereotypical morality lesson in every episode they've been in (sans maybe Season 5 which I haven't seen any of yet). They exist to make Applejack look more interesting than she actually is.

• Brohoof 1

While I certainly like the concept behind them (Music-Man-Inspired conmen), I don't think the execution has been the best. I'd prefer it if they were more behind the scenes conmen, who would use other ponies as a front. (Such as having Silver Shill be the one to be selling the tonic, and the Flim Flam brothers planning it out and taking a cut)

• Brohoof 1

While I certainly like the concept behind them (Music-Man-Inspired conmen), I don't think the execution has been the best. I'd prefer it if they were more behind the scenes conmen, who would use other ponies as a front. (Such as having Silver Shill be the one to be selling the tonic, and the Flim Flam brothers planning it out and taking a cut)

But then Sliver Shill would take the flank of that, even though he doesn't deserve it as much. It's a matter of perspective, and making them the main villains every time is better then splitting it between another pony and them.

• Brohoof 1

But then Sliver Shill would take the flank of that, even though he doesn't deserve it as much. It's a matter of perspective, and making them the main villains every time is better then splitting it between another pony and them.

Well, that's not excatly what I meant. I imagine them having some form of blackmail on silver shill, then using him to sell the product. The main characters find this out, and then have to expose them, or else silver shill gets into trouble. By having flim flam be the main sellers every time, it doesn't make them appear better, in my opinion. It just makes the ponyville citizens appear more naive.

• Brohoof 2

Well they are antagonists, so some will hate them simply for being that. Which is not difficult to understand by my count.

However I actually like them quite a bit, I like their design, I like that they are a sibling duo, I like their theme of being con men, I like the machines they bring with their scams. The two are Vaudeville throwbacks, and I always like to see new life breathed into old archetypes. 

Actually, I managed to convince or rather "Steel" did in my fanfiction to ally with Appleloosa. Pulling a Magnificent Seven with them as part of the group.

So I say I'm pretty well disposed to them as characters, heroic or villainous. 

• Brohoof 2

They are two ambitious businessponies who want to make a fortune and they're not afraid to use som dirty tactics to get that money. They are not even evil, they are just complete A-holes.

• Brohoof 1

I did an image search for the Flim and Flam cards from the MLP CCG, and I saw things I can never unsee.  But anyway:

post-26550-0-69996300-1430549811_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-47717500-1430549661_thumb.jpg

They make for decent troublemakers? x )  Actually, Flam has the more useful ability, but confronting him successfully awards your opponent twice as many points.  Still better than using a Timberwolf, in my experience.

• Brohoof 1

They are much more relatable antagonists, much like Gilda..... We all know someone who would trick anyone out of a few bucks and feel no shame about it.. (I'm looking at you PayPal.)..... So at the very least their designs are sound, and their style not too cliched..... So basically I like their idea, and love to hate them....... Everything a good antagonists should do.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE THEM

The whole Vaudeville early-1900's thing is just so awesome.

I mean they sometimes can do some jerk moves but hey, ya gotta make a living. Given that everyone can sing in Equestria I'll assume that being a performer isn't the most sought-after occupation.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't like them. Although their first musical number is catchy, I don't think that they have much in the ways of charisma.

Although their appearance in Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 was not good enough, their appearance in Leap of Faith is worse. Rather than giving them more personality or even reformation, they've been reduced to even less appealing conmen.

But that isn't to say I don't understand why so many people like Flim and Flam. I can see why so many like them too, actually. They're just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I really liked them in TSSCS6000! They were very original, and I loved their song.

I was a bit disappointed by them in Leap of Faith because this time they were crooks.

But I still like them. :)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I really liked them in TSSCS6000! They were very original, and I loved their song.

I was a bit disappointed by them in Leap of Faith because this time they were crooks.

But I still like them. :)

They should take a

"Leap of faith" over a bridge

for justice :D

• Brohoof 3

They should take a

"Leap of faith" over a bridge

for justice :D

I have to brohoof you for the laughs.  :lol:

I like almost all of the show's songs. Except the Flim Flam songs. Just not my cup of tea. I don't really care one way or the other for them as characters, but I dislike their songs. So yeah. My opinion.  -_-

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion they are pretty much like Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler. If they were suddenly teleported to Ankh-Morpork, I bet they would team up, try to sell something worthless to get rich, fail, or they would gang on each other, try to sell something worthless to get rich, and fail.

• Brohoof 1