Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you describe Princess Luna's personality?

melody5697

I just realized that my idea of what she's like is different from some other people's. Maybe I'm totally misinterpreting her. It wouldn't be the first time I've done that. So what do you people think she's like? And yes, I am totally obsessed with her. I have a Princess Luna plushie, a Princess Luna Pony Pops toy, a Princess Luna McDonald's toy, a necklace with Princess Luna's cutie mark on it, a Princess Luna charm attached to my phone, two Princess Luna coloring pages, Princess Luna stickers on my lamp, a full set of Princess Luna cursors on my computer, and Princess Luna desktop backgrounds.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

She seems to keep to herself bottling her emotions a bit. This is how she was since she was jealous with Celestia. She is also the more poised princess keeping her back straight and speaking in the Royal Canterlot voice.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

She give advice to others that she has experienced - Generosity

She has that warmth about her and cares for others - Kindness

She stays loyal to Equestria, her sister and her subjects - Loyalty

But sometimes she can go other the top with remembering her past as Nightmare Moon

All in all she's good and cute

I see Luna as having multiple personalities. She does refer to herself as "We" alot after all. Some of her personalities have accompanying appearances as well, like the Nightmare Moon form. This is especially true if you choose to take the comics into account, which shows a really playful side to her character that hasn't quite been revealed in the show. 

(edited)

I see Luna as having multiple personalities. She does refer to herself as "We" alot after all. Some of her personalities have accompanying appearances as well, like the Nightmare Moon form. This is especially true if you choose to take the comics into account, which shows a really playful side to her character that hasn't quite been revealed in the show.

It's called the Royal We. For some reason royalty used to say we instead of I. It has nothing to do with multiple personalities. Has she even talked like that in any episode besides Luna Eclipsed? And multiple personalities and different sides are not the same thing. Edited by melody5697

It's called the Royal We. For some reason royalty used to say we instead of I. It has nothing to do with multiple personalities. Has she even talked like that in any episode besides Luna Eclipsed? And multiple personalities and different sides are not the same thing.

I'm well aware of the royal we, but that takes nothing away from my interpretation. 

Luna has, in my opinion, several distinct personalities, one that is regal and almost Goddess like like in Bloom and Gloom, a cackling tyrant like with Nightmare moon, and in the comics

tumblr_mqvmqmL9Si1qmo3obo2_400.jpg

Well there are others as well lets just say that. 

Obviously there can be someone with different moods and side to people/pony nature, but her range is far to drastic to write it off as just that with me. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm well aware of the royal we, but that takes nothing away from my interpretation. 

Luna has, in my opinion, several distinct personalities, one that is regal and almost Goddess like like in Bloom and Gloom, a cackling tyrant like with Nightmare moon, and in the comics

tumblr_mqvmqmL9Si1qmo3obo2_400.jpg

Well there are others as well lets just say that. 

Obviously there can be someone with different moods and side to people/pony nature, but her range is far to drastic to write it off as just that with me.

I'm not even gonna bother arguing with you. I have much better things to do with my time.

Extremly bipolar, nurturing, rebellious, envious

I have bipolar disorder and I really hate it when people say that people who do not have bipolar disorder are bipolar. It isn't a personality trait. It's a serious mental illness and it's living hell if it isn't treated. I know a girl who has severe bipolar disorder and she is way worse than Princess Luna. So unless you think Princess Luna actually has bipolar disorder, don't call her bipolar.

I think Luna has very...interesting personality. It has parts of nurturing (she seems rather determined to help ponies), perhaps some social awkwardness (still resulting from being gone for 1,000 years), recluseness (Not a word but I will go with it), honor (Royalty status and old timieness) and maybe slight disconnection. She seems far more open now than she ever was though in the show and that is something I adore. 

So I would call her a compassionate slightly socially awkward pony of honor. 

Luna is interesting because her royal countenance was hiding a lot of pain and misery. We've never seen behind Celestia's mask and we may never. Luna is playful, serious, clearly lacking in confidence, compassionate and able to understand her subjects in a way her sister maybe can't. She's complex.

As far as I can tell, Luna suffers from a borderline personality disorder. Google it.

I used to know a lot about borderline personality disorder and I don't think she has it. *reads about the diagnostic criteria* She doesn't have borderline personality disorder.

I used to know a lot about borderline personality disorder and I don't think she has it. *reads about the diagnostic criteria* She doesn't have borderline personality disorder.

I take it you have firsthand experience with the disorder. Note that the following text is not an attack on your experience or persona, just little ol’ inexperienced me thinking aloud.

Let us handle Nightmare Moon and Tantibus as forms of Luna’s emotional state, then analyze her deterioration that led to her banishment, Nightmare, and her current negative personality traits.

We start our story with a young alicorn named Luna who was entrusted with an honorable task of moving the Moon across the sky. Then, after a while, something stirred in this young princess: she became resentful. The pony subjects favored daylight and she took that as a personal insult. We are not aware of any emotional outbursts she had during this period, but we can assume that she did suffer persistent anger caused by minor slight(s) she herself imagined as such.

Then comes the Nightmare Moon: a violent, impulsive, self-damaging act born out of immense emotional distress. She does the same thing once more with Tantibus, and, once again, she demonstrates impulsivity and lack of planning since her activities always result in collateral damage and guilt that pushes her into even greater emotional distress. For each such action, she wishes to punish herself, which is also her way of coping with negative emotions. It is a circle that she cannot break on her own.

And last but not least, her quirks: Current Luna has a very poor image of herself. It is plagued with self-criticism and emotional liability. She can go from “having fun” to “I’m angry and depressed” do to environmental causes in an instant. She also lacks the insight into the feelings of others (while those are not visualized in the dream), easily misunderstands them, and is thus easily provoked into aggressive behavior. We can also suspect that her view of others is leaning on the negative side more often than not. She also has family issues and was until recently unable to form stable relationships with other ponies, which hints on pathological mistrust of others.

So we have impairments of self and interpersonal functioning, negative affectivity in forms of emotional liability, depressive behavior, anxiety over past actions along with feelings of shame, disinhibition in the form of impulsivity (perhaps even risk taking), and antagonism with persistent anger and irritability provoked by minor insults.

Whelp, my monthly quack diagnosis quota is fulfilled. Lay it on me!