S05:E14 - Canterlot Boutique  

186 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • SIMPLY FABULOUS DARLING

This was a pretty nice episode. I liked that Sassy Saddles was kind of a meaner, more ambitious version of Rarity, kind of similar to how Lightning Dust was the "bad" Rainbow Dash and Sunset Shimmer was the "bad" Twilight. The moral was nice, too and I loved the Goth pony/Luna fan.

Not much else to say I guess. Kind of wished we saw them find a nice gown for the fat pony at the end. THAT would've been a challenge!

The second half of season 5 is back and the hiatus was definitely worth the wait. This episode was pretty good and the visuals were really well done. The princess dresses were pretty cool and the inside of the boutique was really nice. Some of the Pinkie comedy moments of the episode were good and well placed and it was cool seeing some old and new background ponies throughout the episode. I also liked that part with Applejack's stetson doing its own flip when the rest of the mane 6 were leaving the boutique  :lol:. I really liked the song for the episode and the visuals in some parts were very well animated. The only things I didn't really like in the episode was that the problem seemed to have come late in the episode in my opinion. I liked how it got handled and solved, but it felt as if the problem was taken care of too quickly. I felt there could have been a sort of clash between Rarity and Sassy for their views on the dresses for the clients, or something along those lines. Sassy Saddles was a pretty interesting character, but I wasn't really a fan of her. The way she was portrayed was well executed for the episode, but her redemption felt too quick of a change near the end of the episode. All in all, I enjoyed the episode and this was a great start to welcome back season 5. I can't wait for the next episode and what's to come in season 5.  

I thought the episode was okay. But it's one that is sort of forgettable to me. Well, it would be if it weren't for the fat pony at the end because now we have a bunch of bronies giving her degrading names. This is why we can't have nice things.

it's sad to see people within the fandom wanting to name her "Diabetty"

This show that even people within are toxic and insulting

*Spoilers ahead, of course*

Well, the season is now continued. With a Rarity episode no less. Is it good? Well, I will first say one concern I had, I was thinking they were gonna do the incredibly stupid cartoon cliche of 'character has dream, realizes dream, doesn't like dream, gives up' and I HATE that in cartoons, especially if it would happen in a show that actually has real character development and advancement. Funny thing is, it almost happened. Towards the end, I was getting really concerned but in the end it all ended on a good note. ^.^ Was the episode still good? Yes, but overall not great. It was a bit too fast paced, the 'villain' here had zero motivation for why she was doing what she did unless she just did business in one way and one wya only and the ending was abrupt, but I liked the overall episode for what it was. I also lliked how Twilight was done here, she was a piece of attention but not used as a main plotpoint surrounding her being a princess which it almost could have.

So overall, I liked this episode, but it was not one of the season's best by far. It was good, not much beyond that. I am happy for the outcome of it for sure and it has me looking forward to msot of the rest of the season.

That is my kinda sorta minireview summary thing. :P I usually don't like reviewing episodes so I am not too good at it and I don't consider this a real review, just my quick thoughts. 

• Brohoof 1

Thankfully this wasn't another "I wanna be famous!, wait, I don't like being popular..." kind of episode. I'm glad she didn't just close up her shop and go back to Ponyville. She figured out how to make it work. So yeah... I'm more so just glad the show is back., but overall it was a solid episode. 8/10

This sums up my feelings perfectly. I am so glad they did not go with that cliche. The ending was far better than I thought it would be.

• Brohoof 1

Yay there was a song with it! It was like 4 minutes long too.

The plot was kinda similar to other Rarity episodes - the whole trauma with dress making...just like the Gala dress episode and a few other ones. The fact that it had a song made it pretty good though.

Our first song in about 5 months. :pinkie:

I want to make a little comment about the ending.

It's true, the last scene was far from being a highpoint of the episode, but i don't think it was the intention of the writers to bully fat people, eventhough it looks like it.

I guess they wanted to say that even obese ponies can buy a beautiful dress, no matter how they look.

Whatever that is true or not, can be debated. If it's true, it was done poorly.

• Brohoof 1

Stoked for Ponies return. Loved the episode. Yet again, Rarity written really well. I feel like her people pleasing generosity was her downfall here, and while that might be getting as old as Apple-family episodes, I was still rather happy with it.

I also have to say that I really liked this stark contrast between business and art. Sassy was an enterprising business woman. She had a plan and she made money for Canterlot Carousel, but it wasn't Rarity's vision and it wasn't "fun" or "fashion" (debatable) or artistic. She may have been the villain to Rarity, but at the same time, she maintained a sense of purpose and personal motivation and I think that's really important to have in any character.

• Brohoof 1

I am very pleased with this episode.

Conflict: Not, as expected, Sassy Saddles trying to overtake Rarity's boutique, but rather Rarity being forced to act against her sense of fashion. Very interesting and very well executed.

Lesson: very good. Fashion is not about brand names and wearing what is popular. Fashion is about expressing your personality. Even I, one who doesn't give one damn about what the fuck he's wearing appreciate this lesson.

Song: It's an upgraded version of "Art Of The Dress", a song I find very overrated. But not this one. This song is amazing. Each step of Rarity's conflict is portrayed in a different version of the song, which is pretty cool, if you ask me.

Verdict: 8.8 out of 10.

I wasn't expecting much from this episode to be honest. Going in I was expecting:

1. Rarity opens a Fashion Boutique in Canterlot.

2. The Boutique does not go as planned or how she imagined it for some reason.

3. Either she decides that she is better suited to staying in Ponyville or she finds a way to make the Canterlot Boutique work as a franchise.

So I was not really interested in what would happen in the story but how it would be executed. In that aspect I was even more disappointed. Princess Spike used to be my worst episode of the season. Canterlot Boutique now trumps it for me.

First off, Rarity is a successful business owner so you would have expected her to have done her research to finding out Sassy's real reputation before hiring her. Sassy even referenced at the end that she didn't want to be associated with ANOTHER FAILED boutique. It would have obviously been from her bossy upstaging nature so all the previous Boutique owners would have told Rarity to avoid her like the plague.

Next, after Sassy upstaged the opening Rarity should have decisively instructed Sassy that she is the boss, not to embarrass her or go over my head again or she'd be out of a job.

When Sassy was left to run the Boutique (the dumbest decision ever) I just had the feeling that Sassy would probably do whatever she liked. But instead all was forgiven in the most unbelievable way.

Rarity would have also already had a successful business model from her Pontville Boutique which any right minded person would have used to expand her business to Canterlot. Instead she let some overbearing character tread all over her, exploit Rarity and Twilight's names, left Rarity to do all the labour and tried to take the credit by calling it HER boutique. If Rarity would have had a spine in this episode (which she normally has) she would have said, "It's my business and financial investment and I'm not interested in running a production line. I design my dresses how I chose and how many I wish to make and sell. So ether follow what I say or don't let the door hit you in the flank on the way out!"

It also didn't help that none of Pinkie's jokes were remotely funny. At one point I found myself wanting to tell her to shut up.

And that fat pony gag at the end left a horrible taste in my mouth during the credits and left me feeling angry at what I'd just seen. They ended up sending the message that fat people aren't allowed in the fashion industry which is not a message we should be sending to young girls. I get that they wanted to clarify that Rarity and Sassy were both sick of the princess dress but why did they have to scream it at someone who was clearly a larger size?

It's not often that I get to say this but I need to say it.

So here we go...

WORST

EPISODE

EVER!

• Brohoof 1

Was Sassy implying that the previous boutiques she was part of all failed?

Near the end, is the one wearing the night dress the same voice actress who did Maud? It sounded very similar.

To be honest, I found the ending to be unexpecting. Also, how did that pony get their face on their cutie mark? XD

Now, what got Sassy thinking that Rarity could do ALL of those orders? Excessive much?

I had noticed that Sassy had asked if Rarity was sure of her decision about not having her friends to help out which was great, thing is that Rarity went independent despite the large volume. Additionally, couldn't they have not rushed the orders and complete chunks of it per day?

To the ones who want the smoother version of the episode:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dnog3J1AOFo

They ended up sending the message that fat people aren't allowed in the fashion industry which is not a message we should be sending to young girls. I get that they wanted to clarify that Rarity and Sassy were both sick of the princess dress but why did they have to scream it at someone who was clearly a larger size?

I see where you're coming from.

The person who voiced the obese pony does sound obese themselves, if my ears picked that up correctly. If that's the case and if it's to offend people who are obese in some way then I doubt that person would have voiced that character. Also, it does seem as if some people who work with MLP in DHX media and Hasbro aren't so skinny and yet this episode included that part. (It feels as if I'm kind of analysing this a bit too much.)

I understand that some may not think like that right away and that makes perfect sense.

Do note that such gag isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

Edited by RainCode

SPOILER ALERT!!!

(excuse any bad spelling in this review) The MLP hiatus is finally over after like what? 3 months? So happy to have new episodes back! I liked this episode very much. The Pinkie gag with the cupcakes at the beginning was funny. I see that Sapphire Shores must have paid Rarity a ton of money for Rarity to afford to buy a whole new store. I also found it interesting that Rarity asked Twilight to help her with the new business by using her princess status because I expected Rarity to do this at some point in an episode ever since Twilight became a princess. The new character with blue fur that manages Rarity's store named Sassy Saddles reminded me very much of certain people I have worked with who are way too bossy and pushy. I absolutely can NOT work with this personality type so as soon as I saw the character I was like "Fire her now Rarity. She'll drive you nuts." And of course the new character turned Rarity's store into an assembly line instead of a creative designer store. I really liked the new song! It was a bit like "Art of the dress" I admire Rarity for allowing the new character to stay employed. I don't think I would have had the patience not to fire that character on the spot. Sassy had better intions than the people like her that I have worked with. I am also so glad that Rarity is staying in Ponyvile. Probably the writers just introduced the new character so Rarity could stay in Ponyvile. I was hoping Coco Pumel might be in this episode instead but she lives in Manehatten so it wouldn't have made any sense. The only things I didn't like was that the episode was a little too fast paced and predictable but not in a bad way that hurt the episode too much. I think Lauren Faust would be happy that Rarity has a store in Canterlot now! Faust wanted Rarity to have a store in Canterlot. Does anybody think Maud's voice actor Ingrid Nelson or Tara Strong played this pony? post-26379-0-15333400-1442094992.png 

I liked the obese pony! She's cute! post-26379-0-90356400-1442095017_thumb.png I wonder what her name is. I hope people don't complain about her being offensive like with Derpy. 

I liked the obese pony! She's cute! attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-12 at 1.08.24 PM.png I wonder what her name is. I hope people don't complain about her being offensive like with Derpy. 

I don't think that would happen again. In fact, I hope not. We haven't had any problems with Bulk Biceps so I think everything's okay since ponies can come in different shapes and sizes.

To be honest, I didn't expect her either. Oh well, it was interesting though. We might see more of her sometime soon.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

Howdy all!

The second half of season 5 kicks off with an episode of out favorite fashionista in Rarity.

:rarity:

Pinkie being Pinkie LOL.

The cupcakes reminded me of the s1 episode Applebuck season.

Bad cupcacke mix anypony?

Kelly Sheridan (Starlight Glimmer) returns as Sassy Saddles.

At least she wasnt Suri in Rarity takes Manehattan.

A bit stuck up but turns around later on.

Peter Kelamis was Hilarious as the Cosmare Magazine pony.

AND YES Kazumi Evans sings again! :yay:

Pretty catchy and reminded me of Art Of The Dress.

Kudos to Amy Keating Rogers who wrote the song (And todays episode as well)

And once again Daniel Ingram is the MAN!

Cant wait for more Rarity.

• Brohoof 1

This episode made me see even more just how hard Rarity works and just how generous she is. She gets way too much hate from the fandom.

I think she gets an incredible amount of love here. *Looks over to the Rarity fan club*