S05:E14 - Canterlot Boutique  

186 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • SIMPLY FABULOUS DARLING

The moral/lesson I am getting from this episode, is that mass produced = poor quality. Which is really odd message for Hasbro to be sending.

I think the moral is more subtle than that, more like there's something special about a product being unique from anything else a company or individual produces, vs. something that is mass produced simply because is it popular.

At least I hope that's what the moral is, because if it's only about mass production being poor quality, we've already had that message pile driven into our heads:

post-25740-0-18759400-1442081905.jpg

The more a mass-produced product becomes common through mass-production and mass-distribution, the more people will feel they have to fit in by having it. Thoughts, everypony?  :ooh:

This idea feels so much like how the world reacts to Apple products... Wildly popular, somewhat expensive, but in the end - really just a status symbol that is identical to every other one produced. (I hope no one is offended by my statement, I actually own all three device platforms!)

Also pleasantly surprised at the revelation that Rarity never had any intention of leaving Ponyville.

Yes, a great bit of character development here which should be great for fanfic writers moving forward!

Hear that potential Rarity suitors? You have to relocate to Ponyville to steal a waifu!  :proud:

Not gunna lie I thought coco pommel was gunna show up. This would've been an awesome episode for her to make a return.

Since she's scheduled, I imagine having her twice would have been strange.

Rarity expanded her shop. She is advancing in the world of fashion and becoming an expanding influence.

I loved the fact that they didn't return things to the status quo at the end of the episode - I thought for sure once she had her GOoB sale, it was all over.

Fanfic writers should rejoice at this bit of MLP:FiM  universe development!

They're the Elements of Fricking Harmony! They deserve the fame, and Rarity is just such a natural conduit for that.

Agreed. When read the synopsis of this episode, I thought the conflict might be that Rarity's friends were too ghetto to be allowed into her new shop, but in fact it was almost the opposite case with Twilight being a showcase pony for her fashion!

sig-4083359.COtvDQIWIAANDEz.png

That is one heck of a cutiemark! If that were on a regular pony then that cutiemark would have to be smaller!!!

Speaking of which, having your own face as a cutie mark is now canon! (Or maybe it already was?)

So what kind of special talent is it to have your face on your cutie mark, talking about yourself all the time?  :blink:

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 2

Another thing I don't understand is why Rarity wouldn't want to hire help in making dresses?

I was thinking the same thing while I was watching. I was like: how much money are you making from all of these orders? Can't you just like...I don't know, hire somepony else to do it while you design new things?  :confused:

• Brohoof 2

Well, Hasbro once again introduced a character that I'm sure will come up in discussion often. Heck, even side characters like that are known to pop up in the comics from time to time so this may not be the last we see of Sassy Saddles. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if she made minor appearances in the show at some point, or at least gets some mention. Also, just for the fun of stirring up conspiracy, did anypony else notice that Sassy's horn is bigger than the average unicorn, and also that she wears a dress with a saddle that covers most of her body including her cutie mark? No, I don't actually think she's an Alicorn especially since she's not the only unicorn we've seen with a long horn, but that saddle would be convenient for concealing a pair of wings. At the very least though, I'm curious about what her cutie mark is. Come to think of it, we've never seen Maud's cutie mark either.

As for the episode itself, I think it's a great episode to kick off the second half of the season. It has more than one good lesson, including that sometimes even the best of intentions can lead one astray and that while one's actions may appear to speak much about their character, they might have had the best intentions all along. The song this time around isn't bad either. I think it's at least a little more in line with the quality we have come to expect from Ingram than previous songs this season. Here's hoping the rest of the season continues to hit it out of the park.

This idea feels so much like how the world reacts to Apple products... Wildly popular, somewhat expensive, but in the end - really just a status symbol that is identical to every other one produced. (I hope no one is offended by my statement, I actually own all three device platforms!)

I'm certainly not offended. Actually, I'm a Linux person so I'm hardly involved in any Microsoft/Apple fanism. I've only been against Mac because it offers nothing functionally unique (similar to Windows minus the PC games) and instead uses style and status to maintain popularity. But is that badly reflective of Apple or the people who buy it? That also assumes putting style before substance is a bad thing (which I admit I do happen to believe). This is actually a part of this episode's underlying message. Rarity has to choose what direction she wants to go because both are actually profitable in the end. She's just happier one way than another.  :grin2:

• Brohoof 1

But is that badly reflective of Apple or the people who buy it? That also assumes putting style before substance is a bad thing (which I admit I do happen to believe). This is actually a part of this episode's underlying message. Rarity has to choose what direction she wants to go because both are actually profitable in the end. She's just happier one way than another.  :grin2:

Exactly! And I have no problem with Apple making a popular product, either. If the market is willing to pay, they they deserve all the profits they get.

I guess this comparison came up because my boss is always buying the latest Apple product the day it's released, and that just seems silly to me when the old version still works. All those ponies pouring into the store wanting exactly the same dress - and even complaining when it wasn't - kind of reminded me of that sort of behavior.  ^_^

All those ponies pouring into the store wanting exactly the same dress - and even complaining when it wasn't - kind of reminded me of that sort of behavior.

There is indeed a parallel there. Now the next question is how much is that merely a reflection of what the ponies wanted and how much is manipulation through marketing? If it weren't for Sassy's actions then would the dress have gained the same level of demand based on it's own allure and Canterlot's pre-existing desires?

The ponies of this world are like humans in that they are pattern-seeking creatures. Sassy found a pattern and exploited it for success. So I pose a thought-inducing question. If it is possible to find a psychological aspect to what makes somepony buy or not buy, is it ethical to exploit it? Is this simply inevitable even if nopony did it intentionally? Keep in mind that there are, in fact, human psychological exploits in real life that are banned from being used. (As an example, check out: http://www.progressiveawareness.org/research_desk_reference/legal_status_of_subliminal_communication.html)

Edited by BlackWater627

Come to think of it, we've never seen Maud's cutie mark either.

ITS A ROCK!!!!!

post-24370-0-16125100-1442084533_thumb.png

Tom to be exact. It's not shown for more than a split second, but it really is there. ^_^

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 2

Yay there was a song with it! It was like 4 minutes long too.

The plot was kinda similar to other Rarity episodes - the whole trauma with dress making...just like the Gala dress episode and a few other ones. The fact that it had a song made it pretty good though.

• Brohoof 1

Great episode, and exactly what season 5 needed. I was wary of the fact that all the episodes we had until now either revolved around Twilight's status as a princess or how it related to the others, focused on a character other than the Mane Six or involved no interaction with background characters. I was worried that the Mane Five being promoted to work alongside Twilight, it would cause negatively effect slice of life episodes in the way I described.

Thankfully, this episode addressed my fears. Twilight's status did play a role, but it wasn't the main focus and didn't effect how Rarity or the others were treated.

Thankfully this wasn't another "I wanna be famous!, wait, I don't like being popular..." kind of episode. I'm glad she didn't just close up her shop and go back to Ponyville. She figured out how to make it work. So yeah... I'm more so just glad the show is back., but overall it was a solid episode. 8/10

• Brohoof 1

ITS A ROCK!!!!!

attachicon.gifmaudcm.png

Tom to be exact. It's not shown for more than a split second, but it really is there. ^_^

That doesn't surprise me. Good eye. I'm not good at spotting small details like that, but it would make sense for her cutie mark to be a rock. Are you sure that's Tom and not Boulder though? ;) To my knowledge Maud never met Tom, though I'm sure it would be love at first sight if she did.

Morale: Don't be afraid to give instructions to your manager, or to fire him/her.

Although Rarity should have said Yes to the production line, and marketed all the other dresses. She could've easily become rich and famous with such a runaway success.

I liked this new episode and the song too. It might not be the best this season but I liked it. I also liked how the episode went. I was a bit worried early on but it turned out great. Too bad Coco Pommel didn't make a cameo though. But some kind of weird pony like thing showed up at the end. Whatever that is..... :wat:

I just Realized that Rarity didn't have any tantrums or fainting-couch episodes today. 

I kinda enjoy those, and she certainly was stressed.  Not used to the idea of a chill Rarity... 

I thought the episode was okay. But it's one that is sort of forgettable to me. Well, it would be if it weren't for the fat pony at the end because now we have a bunch of bronies giving her degrading names. This is why we can't have nice things.

I'm slow on the uptake, I just realized the meaning of Rules of Rarity. It's not just her name, but the actual word itself. As she said in the end, when the same amazing dress was made over and over again it became lackluster and common, ultimately ceasing to be a rarity.

• Brohoof 2

Watched the episode a second time. The concept was good and IMO relevant and the execution was a tad more... accurate than entertaining, I would say. Sassy Saddles knows how to do her job which is getting things to sell. She herself stated in a determined tone to make Canterlot Boutique a success, that its door never closes. Applying her marketing skills, she knew exactly what to do to get the Canterlot Boutique selling dresses pretty much non-stop and it seemed to work pretty well as there simply didn't seem to be any end in sight to the demand for the Princess Dress. Indeed, it is - or was - a success but at the cost of authentic creativity, which is the very thing about her job that makes her love what she does. We all understand this, don't we?

The conflict between authenticity and success (or attachment, depending on the topic) is a very real struggle where the person may need to choose one at the expense of the other. It can be a very difficult choice to make, especially when there is a lot at stake. As seen with Rarity, it can be a decision that is made before we even think about it.She had sold her soul, only realizing it later on as it was continuing to manufacture the dresses had been killing her on the inside and setting up the "Going out of business sale" was her attempt at buying it back, so to speak. It was there that she decided that she does want to be successful but only up to where her authentic creativity will allow. It is a compromise between both virtues but what the episode didn't portray was the vulnerability in doing so -- but hey, vulnerability and taking risks is all part of being an entrepreneur such as Rarity. She may have lucked out that her other dresses were selling despite not being the sought-after Princess Dresses.

• Brohoof 1