Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S6 on LGBT

cider float

If they do this, i swear people flip out about it somehow, because they think morally damaging to the children.

Think-of-the-children.jpg

• Brohoof 6

They might. Im afraid we might have another Derpy incident if they do though.

With any luck They will be able to pull something off. Maybe through subtle hints rather than blatantly saying it. Like Ernie and Bert  from Sesame Street.

• Brohoof 2

The show has managed to get this far without focusing at all on romantic relationships straight or otherwise, why should they change that now?  Especially by introducing a topic which although gaining increasing acceptance is still rather sore and controversial to many.

I don't think suddenly making romantic relationships an issue in the program would benefit the quality of it in any way, but could potentially cause a backlash that may impact on it's longevity.

This is just me though, I have no problem with gay marriage, gay relationships or gay people. I just don't want romance (in any combination) in my cartoons about magic horses.  There are plenty of other programs on TV that can deal with those issues.

• Brohoof 5

To be fair, it feels like the show has stronger lesbian implications than heterosexual.

maxresdefault.jpg

They haven't needed to show the definite sexuality of any character yet, so they should be fine if they just keep on like that.

• Brohoof 5

The show has managed to get this far without focusing at all on romantic relationships straight or otherwise, why should they change that now?  Especially by introducing a topic which although gaining increasing acceptance is still rather sore and controversial to many.

I don't think suddenly making romantic relationships an issue in the program would benefit the quality of it in any way, but could potentially cause a backlash that may impact on it's longevity.

This is just me though, I have no problem with gay marriage, gay relationships or gay people. I just don't want romance (in any combination) in my cartoons about magic horses.  There are plenty of other programs on TV that can deal with those issues.

To be fair, it feels like the show has stronger lesbian implications than heterosexual.

sig-4037808.maxresdefault.jpg

They haven't needed to show the definite sexuality of any character yet, so they should be fine if they just keep on like that.

I swear if they put in a gay relationship-- even in the background-- I will LOSE IT and not in a good way. It'd be cool but it ain't worth getting pulled. I beg of you Hasbro, don't touch that with a ten-foot pole!

I think that all of you have fairly valid points here.

We certainly have some possible same-sex subtext (hey that sounds nice!) here but I don't think that Hasbro will do anything with it.

When facing an argument/debate i tend to try and look at both sides, so I shall:

First off, let's look at the argument for same-sex.

With the addition of a lesbian/gay couple to the show we can be teaching our young children(male and female) about such issues early. This early presence in their lives could make them more accepting of the LGBT community. I think we can agree that acceptance and understanding is a large part of the show's message.

Now the more conservative side.

Jeez, umm. I don't actually know. I cannot think of a good reason why people wouldn't want their kids to see a same-sex couple in a TV show without resorting to religious arguments and immoral rhetoric.

The only reason the show can't/won't have an "out" LBGT character is because a sizable portion of the world(and more importantly, their consumers) sees LGBT as a bad thing, or just inappropriate to show kids of such a young age.

I have a saying that's popped up recently:

"Things are only offensive because we believe them to be."

Just some food for thought.

• Brohoof 2

Because it is origionally based to be a childrens show I don't think that this will happen. Yes, there are many children in homes with two dads, two moms, etc. But it would be hard for something like this to happen especially when we have only seen one couple have babies (Cake's) and one couple get married. If by some long chance it did happen I don't think it would be any main character. 

I would think that if any part of this fandom were to put that in the show it would be something more geared towards an older target audience and possibly a more mature Equestria Girls type of show. 

• Brohoof 1

Since S6 will be made on the grounds of legalized gay marriage and there is a S6 do you think they would add themes that are more risque like adding a lesbian main character?

What?

Though I have no issue with homosexual characters potentially existing in universe of MLPFIM (I consider Lyra and Bonbon more likely than other pairs to be homosexuals),  I'm unsure if I would support focusing specifically on sexual orientation. Couple relationships is topic MLPFIM doesn't really cover; only time it sort of covers it from what I remember is Simple Ways but even with that lesson is general enough to not solely apply to couple relationships. MLP:FIM covers issues that apply to those of older age but we can't forget that these issues should also be relatable to children; I'm fairly certain that 8 year old children wouldn't be able to relate to issues specifically concerning couple relationships.

Okay so perhaps they can do episode about accepting homosexuals? Well, Bridle Gossip already made moral of not quickly judging others and importance of really knowing about individuals. Perhaps one can argue that episode focused more in terms of perspective of different ethnicities or cultures but one can also argue that this could apply to almost anything that may initially seem unusual.

I don't think blatant pandering to specific groups is good (I wouldn't be amused by something that appears to follow "I'm not heterosexual therefore I deserve special attention"). I'm thinking one way to have stance on homosexuality without being blatant is to have homosexual couple in public and no one minding them; that would indicate that homosexuality is already accepted in Equestria and whatever sexual preference you have doesn't matter.

However there is also another potential matter. How important is MLP:FIM to be universally relatable and accepted? I'm thinking that considering other cultures has at least some significance.

cGXqgLP.png

Homosexuality is generally more accepted in Western culture but not as much in other cultures. Suppose MLP:FIM did make episode specifically about LGBT. Is possible that there will enough controversy that people will demand banning specified episode or altering it to have no direct references to homosexuality which would remove purpose of episode. Direct subject of LGBT, I think, would lead to big controversy that would dwarf Derpy controversy.

Edited by Luna the Great
  • Brohoof 1

Aside from the hints of it with characters like Lyra and Bonbon, it's more likely they would tackle it indirectly rather than directly, since sale of merch is the bottom line and Hasbro doesn't really want to offend anyone if they can avoid it.

Perhaps one can argue that episode focused more in terms of perspective of different ethnicities or cultures but one can also argue that this could apply to almost anything that may initially seem unusual.

This is what I am talking about by tackling it indirectly. Although the episode in question was too much a trope for racism; they could do something that would be much more evident that refers to LGBT without it involving sex - like Earth Ponies who study magic, which would fly in the face of Earth Pony traditions. Or pegasi who want to keep their hooves on the ground (cough... Fluttershy, though she's not really a good example anymore since she's already proven herself an excellent flyer) and the derision that raises among others of their kind.

Since S6 will be made on the grounds of legalized gay marriage and there is a S6 do you think they would add themes that are more risque like adding a lesbian main character?

I don't think that FiM should really tackle more complicated political themes, or anything simply striving for social progression. If there was an oppurtunity to introduce a character with the traits you mention that only serves the story being told, or perhaps serves as a gag, and isn't just there to soap box a message, it would be fine I suppose. The problem really isn't with the theme, but the way that theme is handeled within the story, and how fluid it's addition would be incorporated.

• Brohoof 1

Are you kidding?...... Lyra and BonBon nearly made out on stage in EQG3..... And no parent I know of complained in the slightest..... The only way to be even more blatant than that was to have them be an actual couple, that everyone in the show acknowledges.

It'll never happen.

MLP is a show created, at its base, for younger girls to watch and subsequently purchase toys relating to it.  It's not meant to provide anyone with a platform to showcase their personal values.

And I think we'd all be better off just enjoying MLP for what it is rather than gripe about what it's not.

Edited by J. Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly the chances of seeing it will be less than getting struck by lightning three times in one day. Will it be cool? Yes but it won't happen with all of the closed minded and uber-religious people out there.

No we will not see this.  for a basic reason.

Hasbro is using the show to sell toys, not to make a statement. For five years not one of the mane six have been on a date. The merest hint of Twilight and Flash Sentry sparked howls of dissent. Hasbro backed off.

this is not going to happen.

• Brohoof 1