Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think this is just a phase?

jjbluesam

Basically, has anyone here ever stopped to think about whether or not this brony stuff is just a phase?

Like, right now, I'm not only a major brony, but I'm also a major pony-shipper. A male, teen brony, who ships ponies and listens to EDM. Sounds like perfect phase-material, unfortunately.

I'm just hoping none of this is a phase. I know this sounds cliche, but I feel like I'm at the best point of my life right now. I've learned to be more tolerant, I got back into EDM, and I've even started to screw around with making it (been doing it for almost 6 months now) and I plan on being a producer when I grow up. All because of ponies.

Yet, what if one day I grow out of it? That has to be my biggest fear, honestly, is outgrowing this. Hell I remember one time someone kept trying to tell me my love of Daft Punk's music was just a phase.

Edited by jjbluesam
  • Brohoof 4

It's going to depend on each individual brony. For some the brony fandom, the show and all of the things we've discovered through it will be incorporated into our lives. Some will move on (many already have).

But even if it is, it's not like that's the end of the world. We all had experiences with it and it helped us grow in various ways. Whatever we may or may not move on to we know ponies is what got us there. As you said: You've obtained dreams of being a producer. There are many artists and musicians that advanced in their own artistry thanks to the work they've put into fan works.

• Brohoof 4

@@jjbluesam, I moved your post to Sugarcube Corner, which the section for pony discussion that doesn't directly relate to the show.

I know for me personally things I used to be really big into I still hold quite dear to my heart. I was a Gen 1 fan (got my cheesy 80s toys to prove it), and I still adore Invader Zim, although I don't watch the show as much as I used to. I think it depends on the person if it is a fad in their life, but for me, ponies have been a life long love.

• Brohoof 3

It's going to depend on each individual brony. For some the brony fandom, the show and all of the things we've discovered through it will be incorporated into our lives. Some will move on (many already have).

But even if it is, it's not like that's the end of the world. We all had experiences with it and it helped us grow in various ways. Whatever we may or may not move on to we know ponies is what got us there. As you said: You've obtained dreams of being a producer. There are many artists and musicians that advanced in their own artistry thanks to the work they've put into fan works.

The way I've noticed, especially with myself, is when someone grows out of a phase, they either don't care that they went through that phase, or they'll regret it.

I've noticed with my phases, it's normally the latter. To be honest, I shouldn't be worried, but I do over-analyze.

@@jjbluesam, I moved your post to Sugarcube Corner, which the section for pony discussion that doesn't directly relate to the show.

I know for me personally things I used to be really big into I still hold quite dear to my heart. I was a Gen 1 fan (got my cheesy 80s toys to prove it), and I still adore Invader Zim, although I don't watch the show as much as I used to. I think it depends on the person if it is a fad in their life, but for me, ponies have been a life long love.

And thanks. Still new here, so I didn't know if this post was in the right place or not.

Yeah, I once went through a Big Time Rush and iCarly/Victorious phase. Even had a Victorious pencil pouch in 6th grade. I regret it all.

The way I've noticed, especially with myself, is when someone grows out of a phase, they either don't care that they went through that phase, or they'll regret it.

I've noticed with my phases, it's normally the latter. To be honest, I shouldn't be worried, but I do over-analyze.

And thanks. Still new here, so I didn't know if this post was in the right place or not.

Yeah, I once went through a Big Time Rush and iCarly/Victorious phase. Even had a Victorious pencil pouch in 6th grade. I regret it all.

I guess I wouldn't know what that's like because I've never had phases. I sorta just accumulate things to be into and I continue to be into them forever. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I guess I wouldn't know what that's like because I've never had phases. I sorta just accumulate things to be into and I continue to be into them forever. :lol:

I wanna make a song about phases now.

I'm already doing a song with someone's vocals about a certain pony.

Unrelated, but for some reason, I've also been itching to do a song with vocals of the fifth of November Guy Fawkes poem.

I've been a fan of MLP previous to gen 4 and I'm still clearly not over it after the years. I tend to get less interested in things a bit, but I seem to never drop fandoms or "phases" so to say altogether. I doubt MLP is going to disinterest me ever.

It might be a phase for some people. Even so, it's not a bad thing. Some things that were enjoyed for a period of time in my life were still important and my life wouldn't have been the same without them. A phase doesn't have to connotate insignificance.

• Brohoof 1

It's not a phase for me. And even if it was, I don't do phases like most people. My behaviour is rather cyclical, meaning that even if it is a phase, I'll end up coming back around to it eventually!

But after my first bronycon this past weekend, there is NO WAY I'll be leaving this fandom anytime soon.

I think it really just varies from person to person. For people like me it is just a phase, they have other things that take up their time/interest and MLP turns into a thing of the past that they just think about every now and again. There are also those people who get completely sick of it and never want anything to do with it ever again. Then there's the people who make it their big thing and only let that change for a little bit at the most.

Edited by Twi the Totodile

I would say whether it's a phase or not will be up to the individual. All things must come to an end, unfortunately, but that doesn't make them a phase. Like I said, it's up to the individual to determine whether or not it's a phase to them.

I can speak for myself: I have always loved MLP and being a brony. This fandom, for me, had/has more upsides than it did/does bad days and horrible memories. But, I have pretty much overall lost most of the interest I once had. The show and fandom doesn't have that same rejuvenating spark and give me that old kick in my step that it used to. I'm also moving on to new stages in my life soon, and while that hasn't become an excuse for me to lose interest, I know that all kinds of other stuff is going to have to take priority, putting this show and fandom extremely low on the list for me. It's loss of interest, not disinterest. For me, the fandom was the primary thing that kept my interest in MLP alive. But so many have come and gone. The fandom wasn't "better" in the earlier years, but it was just a bit more whole. My OC's and RPing are the biggest contributions I have ever made to keep the fandom alive in my own heart, but I feel as though that my usefulness to the fandom has just about run out. I'm okay with it though. I shouldn't put myself in a place where I can't move on. This fandom has given to me and I have tried to give back to it. So no, it wasn't a phase. I was invested, I was thorough in my interest in what the fandom had to offer. And I look forward to that being the case until the bittersweet end. It's a chapter in my life that will no doubt soon come to a close.

^ Excuse me if that's a tad too dramatic to some of you, but I promise every word was genuine. Deliberation on this topic is very helpful to me right now as well, for personal reasons.

On a hopeful note: Who knows? Maybe in the future, there will be a new era of bronyism. A new life to this fandom that once brought so many varieties of people together. Hang in there, everyone.

:)

• Brohoof 2

I agree with what the others have said, it might be a phase for some, it might not for others, it depends. You might not be as into MLP 10 years from now, or may have completely moved on, but you'll likely remember it and be fond of the memories. ;) Usually, the "magic" of something is at its peak at the beginning (the first times you watched the show, for example), but that doesn't mean it's lost as you go on~

• Brohoof 1

At first I thought this was just a phase of mine. But since I've been part of this since 2012 I have high doubts this is just a phase. I consider the community and show important to my life. Both have helped me open up and be much more cheerful than I was before ponies took over. 

Some can call it a phase of course but this is from me. Not a phase but part of my life  :wub:

Depends on the person, like most have already said.  For me, I think I can honestly say it's not a phase.  I mean, when I was little and playing SNES, some people might have said I'd grow out of that.  Nope.  I played a little FF6 and Chrono Trigger last week.  Some things you just love your whole life.  You might not be not be obsessive about it as time goes on, but I highly doubt it's going to be a phase like, say, pogs or Tiger Electronic handhelds, where we look back and go, "Lol, why did we ever do that?"  Don't fret over it, and don't worry that you're going to grow out of it and stop liking this stuff.  But guess, if, IF you should happen to grow out of it, then guess what?  You wouldn't really care, because it just wouldn't be important to you anymore.  That's how life works.  But it wouldn't take away all the good you got from it.  But I really doubt you'll grow out or lose interest.

It's different from each individual. Some might stay in this fandom for a few months and get bored, some might be in this fandom for 1 or 2 years and get frustrated with the community and some might just stay till the end of the show.

It's all part of Human behavior.

For me personally, no, definitely not a phase. Once I'm a fan of something, I'm a fan. I agree with what others are saying, and the level of my interest (or obsession, at times) has wavered based on what else was going on but I have always been a solid fan for 4 years now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't think this is a phase actually. I consider MLP One of the most important things right now in my life. I'm as happy as can be thanks to it. And i will always keep it close to my heart.

I guess growing out of it would be my biggest fear as well but here's hoping I never do.

• Brohoof 1

I dont think its a phase.

I mean i started out with obsessing with Mlp and collecting all Media of it and then i lost interest and started collecting and watching something else.

But that doesnt mean it was just a phase. I simply had to watch something else, for variety.

Im still watching Mlp Episodes on the Internet and im still drawing ponys.

I just needed a little break from it.

Im even thinking about obsessing over it again  :lol:

I guess i will like mlp for a long time, i dont see any reason why i will stop completely with watching it, a lot of stuff i watched years ago is still some of my favorite.

Its just that sometimes i just need a little break of one thing and watch something else then.  :ooh:

Edited by .hack//SUNSET

It is all determined by how much we dedicate to the show. If you love the show as much as you do, then I don't think it'll go away anytime soon. I don't think that for myself, I think I'm gonna be a brony forever, it has completely 180'd my life :)

I don't think it's a phase. I conside MLP very important in my life right now. I wish more shows/movies,video games/etc were like MLP.

Grand Theft Auto V is to me. I never get tired of it.