Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best Episode to Start with

Varrack

If you were introducing someone to the show, which episode would you show them first?

I got my dad interested in watching it with me but I'm not sure which one I should show him first. I don't want to show him a less exciting one where he'll lose interest. I'm thinking an adventure-type episode or one of the more fast-paced ones, so it would likely not be in the first season. Still, I want to hear what you guys think.

You start with the beginning. If i would start a new series, i wouldn't start with third season, because some of the context is missing.

• Brohoof 3

I'd always start with the pilot, despite most people saying they don't like it much. But I do know a lot of friends that got into the show through Read it and Weep

• Brohoof 2

For my money, FiM is episodic enough that you don't have to start at the very beginning.

My advice when people ask this question is that FiM is a show that has a little something for almost everyone. Adventure, slice of life, Indianda Jones, epic battles, musical, Mad Men, mind-screw... there are episodes for all of these things and many more... Therefore, what you should do is read through the episode summaries and pick something that sounds interesting to you.

• Brohoof 1

You start with the beginning.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Certainly there are some series where you shouldn't start at the beginning - Terry Prattchett's Discworld novels spring to mind. Whilst you could start with the pilot, the first half of which is rather good (I'm less of a fan of part 2), I think that you could start with Ticket Master, Applebuck Season, Dragon Shy, Look Before You Sleep, Suited For Success or Sonic Rainboom depending on what you think would be most of interest. Then you can go and watch the pilot and everything else in succession. The first one I saw was Canterlot wedding, and the idea of Facedancer Assassins (from Frank Herbert's Dune series) making an apperance in a children's television series seriously impressed me.

• Brohoof 1

You start with the beginning. If i would start a new series, i wouldn't start with third season, because some of the context is missing.

There isn't much of a context difference though. Each episode is its own story, and the only overall plot is really addressed during season finales. I mean I understand the Princess Twilight thing is a difference, but other than that not much.

I'd have to say Sonic Rainboom, Lesson Zero, or Dragonshy. It's better to start off someone sometime in season 1 or very early season 2, since it's still the beginning of the series but it's not towards the very beginning, which in my opinion is pretty weak in comparison to the rest.

Edit: Also, Party of One is what got me into the series, so I'd say that one, too.

Edited by Yufery
  • Brohoof 1

Rule of thumb.....er, hoof: always start with the first episode as it introduces the main characters of the show, and in this case introduces objects that were important to bringing said main characters together.

I would suggest a discord episode

This is high-risk, high-reward if the person you are showing it to is a Trekkie. They might love seeing John de Lancie playing a malevolent trickster god-like entity again, or they might bemoan the "bastardisation" of Q. Obviously I'm in the former camp. My mum, though? Well, she didn't really have much of a reaction to the de Lancie thing, but let's just say she was less than impressed when she found out Shatner was a Brony...

Edited by Captain Trek

Probably the plot episodes would be a good place, but the high end episodes of season 1 would work to, especially if you're trying to get someone else hooked on it as the plots, while good, are not the series best hook for people. I wouldn't recommend starting anyone off with anything past season 2 though. 

• Brohoof 1

Rule of thumb.....er, hoof: always start with the first episode as it introduces the main characters of the show, and in this case introduces objects that were important to bringing said main characters together.

This is good point, and I may go with the first two episodes to start with and then skip around to the better ones. I think introducing all the characters would be the best to begin with, although I'd probably go to the other ones like Dragonshy that are good.

I actually start with "Pinkie Pride" because most people know who Weird Al is, and it at leasts gives the person something familiar to hang on to.

Pinkie_Pie_and_Cheese_Sandwich.png

I've done it about 5 times and every person has seemed to enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

If I were to introduce somepony to the show, I would show him the Season 1 intro (Friendship is Magic).  Part of what makes this show great is seeing the characters develop and grow over time.  Thus, I strongly recommend not to show the season 3 finale (Magical Mystery Cure) or anything that released after that, as Twilight Sparkle has already become a princess after then.  Anything from the rest of season 1, season 2, and season 3 episodes 1-12 should be fine (you can pick it based on what you think he would like, as someone previously said).  Although anything before Magical Mystery Cure would work, I would recommend you show Friendship is Magic, as this introduces the adventure, morality, animation, overall concept, and the musicality of this show.  My friend showed me Baby Cakes as my first episode when it came out on that Saturday, and I hated it.  It was difficult for him to convince me to watch the season 1 pilot, which got me into the show.  Thus, it is from personal experience as well that I recommend the season 1 intro for a first episode(s).

Edited by Bart1002

Back in 5th grade I attempted showing my teacher suited for success to show her how relatable it is (everyone asked me to make power points back then).

I'm not sure what is the best, I showed my friend read it and weep and he got attached. Any episode with all of the mane 6 in it should be the considerable ones.

Well if it HAS to be only 1 episode, I'd go with The Cutie Mark Chronicles (S1 E23)  This has all the Mane 6 & The Cutie Mark Crusaders.  Answers the questions, "How do Cutie Marks work?" & "Why do the Crusaders want theirs?" + has more back story than all the other episodes combined.

The other choice would be Twilight's Kingdom (S4 E25 & E26).  This sets up Season 5 & has the best fight scene in the whole series + clarifies their relationship w Discord

• Brohoof 1

It's about time you introduced your dad to the show, and it's about time you try to pick a good episode to start with.  It's about time you made this thread, and IT'S ABOUT TIME you make a decision.  IT'S ABOUT TIME that more people started giving the show a chance, and IT'S ABOUT TIME that people see what a great show it is.

As far as what episode to start with...

...I have no idea.

winkwink.png

• Brohoof 2